Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Wacko View Post
    I really only need this one palm device that I have now so I am not going to bother answer all of these questions just to win another. I don't mean to be a jerk but after reading these questions I can't help but feel like they are all the same question and they are superficial at best. They all come down to "what does palm need to do to compete with so and so." The honest answer to that for me is that I don't really care about what the competition is doing because i have an awesome phone that is fun and does what I need it to do. I feel like it was money well spent and I just hope Palm continues to do what they are doing now. If they do they will always have a customer in myself and many others. I don't care about version 2.0... 2.0 is just a number that only people who buy things based on advertising care about, a superficial selling point. I don't give a hoot about selling points such as this, I just like to get continued updates that work on the phone that I own and I don't want to have to buy a new device just to support a new version of WebOS. To put it bluntly I don't believe that palm being the biggest baddest smartphone company with the leading technology (most units sold, most powerful devices, most popularity, and richest company) would even be a good thing. I think I speak for most of us when I say that it's awesome to see the underdog able to provide such an awesome experience for it's consumers. I don't want things to get to the point where palm owns everything, I just want to see the company survive and not get eaten up by the companies who own a bigger piece of the pie. It seems to be commonplace in this world where larger more powerful people destroy the little guy who has the best ideas. Sort of like how the oil companies are ruining humanity and perpetuating the destruction of all that is good. It's ridiculous that in 2010 we are still using oil and in the case of cars still getting crap for mileage. I guess I'm kind-of a hippie.
    Please don't think I am bashing you, just putting in my 2-cents.

p.s. Don't give me a free phone.
    ok ok, I'll take the free phone but give it to my sister, she can't afford a cool phone because her newborn took all of her money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    1...But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it?
    Personally, I think that the learning curve on virtual keyboards is still a bit steep for most people. Eventually, maybe. Because I think you can theoretically be more efficient not having to actually push down the button to make the keypress.

That said, one of the problems that I have with virtual keyboards is how much screen space they take up while I'm using them. They take up screen space and I hate that. On my Pre, I always get 320x480 pixels, even when I'm typing. So I suspect that physical keyboards will long be a personal preference. And for me, I would not buy a WebOS slab. Just my $0.02.
    2... click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    I don't miss it. But then again, I didn't miss multitasking before I had it. So I don't know.
    3.... how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    I think palm's biggest advantage hasn't manifested itself yet. That's openness. I think eventually Palm's treatment of developers and how they make the *entire* OS available to anyone will eventually pay dividends. The only question is whether or not Palm can last long enough to reap those rewards.
    4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? ... How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    Lot of questions here.
    1. re: pre/pixi plus. Meh. Would be nice to have the extra RAM & Flash, but not that big of a deal. Not worth the extra cost of going to VZW.
    2. The improvement between WebOS 1.0 and WebOS 1.3.5.1 is pretty big. PDK and games are IMHO a massive improvement. And Video recording/editing w/1.4 will be a sorely missed feature.
    3. What I still am still pining for:
      • voice dialing, voice search & other voice control (like android 2.1)
      • faster OS response - e.g. less laggy (like iphone)
      • real visual voicemail (like other sprint phones and iphone)
      • automatic word wrap in web browser (like htc hero's browser)
      • widgets and or a today screen (like android)

5... What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    I think more carriers is a big deal. That'll attract more developers. And that'll increase the number of brains thinking about ways to exploit WebOS's advantages. I don't really see any killer apps for WebOS. Multitasking might be it. But there's nothing nearly as innovative as bump or shazam on other platforms. WebOS needs something that you simply can't get anywhere else. I have no idea what it is, if I did I'd be hiring developers.
    6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone
    What I wish we had from iPhone: smooth lagless interface (distant second: AutoCorrect)
    What I'd miss most if I had iPhone: multitasking (kinda distant second: non-intrusive notifications)
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 01/22/2010 at 03:38 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Give me a real keyboard any day, many people feel this way, gotta have a real button to push.
    Unless Palm takes a button away. Then everyone says that buttons are unnecessary.

When I was primarily on an iPhone then I always felt that having a physical keyboard would be incredible. But after adding the Pre to my utility belt then I realized that I actually prefer the iPhone keyboard. More specifically, I prefer auto-correction. If WebOS adds autocorrection (and doublespace for period) then I'll change my view, but for now then I'm just more efficient on an iPhone.

As a sidenote, one thing that surprised me about phone keyboards is that landscape keyboards (IMO) are HARDER to use. You'd think that bigger keys and a wider space would make things easier but for me then I type twice as fast on the Pre/iPhone portrait keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    ...The only issue I have with this is the keyboard is very much intrinsically linked to universal search. Universal search on webOS is one of my favorite things. It wouldn't be the same experience without a physical keyboard. You just start typing with the keyboard. Without it, what are you left with? Then you have to open keyboard and type what you want. It sounds strange but the simplicity of "just start typing" comes in handy when it is connects to everything on your phone.
    This is a major point I rarely see mentioned.

In addition, the physical keyboard isn't just for us to type, it is a direct interface to the machine. Just now a Pre user I support brought his Pre to me in some weird, locked-up state. I did the Alt-Sym-R reboot and all was fine. That kind of direct-to-the-hardware connection simply cannot be duplicated with a software keyboard.

Also, the physical keyboard plus the gesture area gives us TONS of flexibility, with Gesture + keyboard presses, multi-key presses and keypresses that modify gestures.

In light of how integral the physical keyboard is to their OS and firmware, I highly doubt webOS will ever go without one.

The only question is, then: can and should they give us an optional onscreen keyboard? I tried the patch for a while, found I never used it so I removed it. But I'm not arrogant enough to claim no one else would want it so sure, throw it in there as an optional component, what the heck.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    The only thing i would want that the iphone has is a skype app. I hope webOS gets a skype app soon. What i would miss the most if i gave up my pre for an iphone is the homebrew community. They've made it extremely easy to alter the phone to your liking and stay on the cutting edge of WebOS developments. Easy multitasking is also an obvious things that would be missed.
    1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    Although I'm a treo-guy, since ever (physical-keyboards then), I have to say that typing on a virtual keyboard with a VERY GOOD auto-corrrect sofware is actually faster, at least for me.

The thing is that it's MUCH less accurate, and even with that so good auto correct feature, I would always try to avoid writing so much on the device, because it's always going to be more efficient waiting to reach the office, and sit down on the computer to reply all emails. So I use the device to make small text entries on the go, which I don't need to achieve very fast, but with high accuracy: passwords, phone numbers, the name of somebody (even the weirdest ones), etc., and I don't want to lose time, constantly feeding any auto-correct dictionary.

So, if you're not a "social typer", who like to send zillions of tweeds, emails, or what ever (where mistakes are not a big problem), and mostly use the device for PIM* purposes (where they really are) , is more efficient to have a "sniper" physical keyboard, than a "machine-gun" virtual one
    *Personal Information Management (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks & Memos, basically)

Talking about the size, it's true that such kind of device claims for a big screen, but it wouldn't be a "portable" device if it's so HUGE as they are the Droid, Nexus, and iPhone. We know (at least I now), that these three are too big. We can discuss if the Pre is too small, but if it reaches the size of those three, its going to be a bad thing

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    For me, the "card metaphor" is so much avant-graded over it's competitors, that I don't see the need for this, (once they have improved the copy & paste feature, including images)

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    I think it's going to be Apple's and Google's stubbornness which are going to save Palm, because they are not going to make any deep change as they don't see Palm as a real contender. And then it's going to be too late, because Palm's product is going to be SO GOOD (once it has matured), that no one will be able to beat

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    I think these are more like the "real" webOS devices. Regular Pre & Pixi are more like experimental or "trial versions". But just like it happened with the iPhone, I think there's going to be needed a 3rd generation to make them real polished devices (processor speed mostly)

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    I would say that they need to improve their marketing, reach more carriers, going international, mature the OS (taking a look back on PalmOS to polish the PIM programs would be a good thing), make it snappier (much more snappier!!!), and reach 10.000 apps/patches at least, with big hits (navigation software, document editing, fax/printing software, games, software for the car, for professionals, multimedia, etc)

They don't need to steal Apple's fanatics or Android's geeks, if they reach the "feature-phone" community, and make them to upgrade, they are going to be the winners for sure

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    From the iPhone I miss the speed/responsiveness, and the copy/paste feature which is much better implemented there. I also like the build quality, and the app advantage, but those are not things I really miss, I just like them.

From Android (which I'm going to include although you didn't ask) I miss the notification-bar, just because it acts as a notification manager, similar to PalmOS', which I really found very useful.

From webOS I would miss (to nervous breakdown) the keyboard, the formfactor, the top-bar menu, the app-menu, the calendar-contacts-synergy, the much more clean/intuitive interface & gesture navigation, the notification system, homebrew patches, and most of all: MULTITASKING
    (One last thing, notice that I'm a foreigner (from Spain), so please forgive any mistake you have seen)
    Last edited by pepitosegrilla; 01/23/2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I infinitely prefer a physical keyboard, a virtual one is simply icing on the cake for me. Main reason being: Touchscreens can die (my 2nd Pre's did), and if you absolutely cannot use the screen, the physical keyboard more than likely can still look up and dial a contact if you're in a pinch. It's just more reliable. I'd rather the Pre's keyboard be landscape (I really, REALLY enjoyed my previous phone's keyboard, the HTC Tilt), but having also been a Centro user, I'm totally used to the Pre's keyboard.

Multitasking and the notifications hammer the iPhone's, but it's true that I wish the Pre ran with the silky smoothness of the iPhone. I couldn't care less about apps, but having jailbroken an iPod Touch, I can imagine getting patches and the like to work on an iPhone is a headache-inducing experience. Palm embraces the homebrew community, while Apple is looking to shut it down with each firmware update.

Oh, and please tell Apple to stop being babies about letting the Pre work with iTunes...
    Talking about the size, it's true that such kind of device claims for a big screen, but it wouldn't be a "portable" device if it's so HUGE as they are the Droid, Nexus, and iPhone. We know (at least I now), that these three are too big. We can discuss if the Pre is too small, but if it reaches the size of those tree, its going to be a bad thing
    I agree with you very much here. Palm put a lot of thought into that form factor. The size works for it. Fits well in hand, one thumb operation on screen. Increase that size and it's not the Pre we know anymore. It's something else.

But that's just it. Palm needs something else. But keep the Pre and leave it alone other than tweaks to improve build & feel..perhaps an improved screen although it looks sharp to me already. There's no reason why the Pre can't stand on its own and Palm just introduce a slab and call it something else. Then Palm appeals to both worlds, offers another choice and all that. A third brand.

I do wonder what Palm could do with a landscape kb/slab device. Gesture area on kb? How about it serve as a touchpad with cursor movement as an option? Joystick or macro buttons? Integrate it into the 3D gaming. There's a lot of room to work with.
    iPhone needs WebOS's multitasking and WebOS needs iPhone's smoothness. In my opinion, I would LOVE a touch only WebOS device. Nevertheless, i love my Pre's hard keyboard, but if i had a touch keyboard, it would be awsome, and as i stated, if it was touch only (with some 3.7 or 4 inch screen love )
  10. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    That's easy. I'd steal multitasking from the Pre, and I'd steal the lack of lag from an iPhone. That is, as long as apps continue to roll in for the Pre...otherwise I'd steal the apps.
    Heya Rene! Hope ya had fun with the webOS. Great job with the webOS video too! Love that Zero Punctuation style intro. Just awesome! Alright now to get to work.
    1: I believe Ruby was right. There are people who still loves keyboards. What about this, have both a real and virtual one? If there are demand for virtual keyboard, can always add it through software update but going to be a real pain to add real keyboards to a iPhone slab. What would have happen if they had the iPhone both options? That's one reason I haven't used an iPhone. I can't go all "Departed" like and do secret texting wihout looking at the keyboard. Matt damon would have been in trouble if he used an iPhone :O.
    2:I believe I know what your talking about the drag and drop between cards. Kinda like a desktop system. Drag a pic from one folder and drag to an email app/folder/desktop. I think it sounds good and might work but not sure there would be a demand for it. Just copy from where your at and paste it where it's needed.
    3:I think majority of Palms newness came from Ruby. I just wish he can let go of old Apple past. Please don't let people buy new phones if we want more memory, give us an expansion card. What can Palm do to compete with Apple and Google? Just do what their doing. The way they handle apps is great, the ability to find apps on the web, enter your number and get a text to install OTA is just great.
    4:Pre/Pixi Plus are both great devices. Pre Plus for the double ram. I mean wow, 50 cards and no close card warning. Amazing. Doubt I'll ever have that many apps open but still nice not needing to worry about that. Pixi Plus for the wifi. Come on Sprint. Pixi form factor is great. Always loved the Treo form factor. What stopped me was lack of wifi.
    5:Pieces to be big player in 2010? Hmmm. Multiple form factors, give users choice. Only form factor that seems to be requested are the iPhone slab, and the landscape sliding keyboard form factor. Another aspect is widgets. People (including me) keep looking at Android for the widgets screen. They should find a way to add widgets and still keep the clean desktop. (I think it be very easy just adding widgets to the launcher pages, a +1 over android cuz you can have as many pages as you want...with the patch of course). This way the desktop is still clean for the cards and just swipe up if you want to see your widgets.
    6: Single feature from the iPhone? Hmmm I would have to say the tap to focus camera feature.
    As for what I would miss from webOS? Can I cheat and say I'd miss webOS? :P Lol that is really the thing I would miss. How WebOS handles multitasking, notifications and gestures are just so elegant. It's a pleasure to use devices running on webOS.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    My only gripes I have had with the Pre have been the form factor and lack of a accurate and actually usable method of selecting text or going back to edit typos. I loved the tactile feel of my Treo 755 but I don't feel that form factor is a good route for a finger (capacitive) touch device.
    I imagined the Pixi being all touch but kept roughly the same size. I am partial to sideways slider keyboards but only if there are decent virtual keyboard option(s) also for busting out quick replies.
    If Verizon wasn't so stinkin' expensive for service and any extra features I would probably make the switch for the Droid or possibly the release of the Google Nexus One. In my area I have noticed I get roughly the same service as my pals with Verizon but I pay much less yet have many more features with Sprint. I still have a soft spot for Android and was using a G1 with AT&T service before I switched to Sprint for the Pre and better service. I did take a test drive of the Hero but didn't seem to have enough power and then I tried out the Moment which was alright after getting the Hero virtual keyboard installed, however the Moment had an almost "toy" feel to it. The Moment was on the clunky side which would be easier to forgive if it didn't have a goofy keyboard layout. Although the Pre has small keys I love the layout and placement of the keys.
    Have you used the orange and shift button? They do great for highlighting and scrolling through text. Just hold down the orange button and let your finger scroll anywhere on screen to move the cursos while the shift button will highlight the text.
    SPE Round Robin contest entry.
    1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    I prefer the physical keyboard over any software keyboard, the iphone kb is great, but i like to have some real feedback as to where my fingers are, i can just type faster that way. Had the VKB-patch installed, but it's just not for me, not hitting the right keys ever so often becomes a pain in the *****

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    Never came to mind, could be nice, but i don't need it per se i think.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    i have no idea how they did it, i think some deal with the devil is involved, and i think palm showed with this bombshell of an OS that they have the guts to become a big player once again. i don't know what the status is for licensing the Os to other phone manufacturers, that could be a good move, but could also be bad, when every phone has a different version (see android) it gets harder to develop for. i think thats a major plus for the iphone, there is only the one phone with known specs, so it's relatively easy to develop for that OS.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    the hardware upgrade is not that big, whats huge is the rapid updating or the software, in 7 months we got 9 updates, with the 10th just around the corner, and 1.4 will make a giant leap (flash/video/better gpu support, hopefully better battery). voice recording would be nice, but with the new PDK that should be around the corner too.

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    i think webOs 1.4 is the 2.0 i've been waiting for, so i don't think they have to get out 2.0, when i get 1.4 and then tweaks to make the os smoother would be enough. i hope for a new device, rumors say that something will hit sprint stores midyear. and i hope it gets a little bigger screen, but doesn't get too big. i like the small formfactor of the pre as it is. A local Sync would be great, but i can lie with the 3rd party apps for that. what they need to add this year, comes in february with 1.4. after that i think they have pretty good chances to play with the big boys (apple/android/blackberry). Something that no other phone had would be cool, but i'm not creative enough to think of something.

i would really love the non laggyness from the iphone, but without the restriction i get on the iphone to make that laggishness possible (closed platform, no multitasking, ****ty app policys)
    as for the most missed feature of the pre when i use an iphone, that would be the back gesture. 5 minutes with an iphone, and ca 50 back gesture attempts i want to smash the iphone to pieces, the iphone is a great phone, but i get really irritated with the flow of the OS
    daily dose!
    Hey folks, Rene from theiphoneblog.com
    Hi Rene!

1. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it?
    For you? I don't know. For me, I really need it. Granted I've not tried one for very long but I've tried the virtual keyboard on both the iPhone and the HTC Hero (Sprint version) and I just don't like it. I make enough typos using a regular PC keyboard much less a chicklet keyboard. Turn that into a virtual one where I can't see past my huge thumbs to tell what letter I'm pressing and I'm in big time trouble.

2. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    Drag and drop between cards? Hmm, I'd not thought of it but if Palm wants to target the business world again (I believe the Pre and Pixi were really meant for the consumer world) the ability to drag and drop would set them light years ahead of anyone else, RIM, Apple, Google, etc. They'd also need to beef up their contacts and calendar but that shouldn't be too hard.

3. And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    See my answer to #2.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? ..., is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    I think they got it just right. It's too early for a massive change in hardware so increasing the RAM to make it a multitasking monster and streamlining the look of it (removing the center button) were just the right incremental steps.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be?
    The overall smoothness of the OS. I'm not talking about layout and getting to menus, settings, etc. WebOS kicks <bleep> on that as well. Whether it's because the basic OS can use the GPU on the iPhone or the fact that the iPhone OS is more polished than WebOS, I don't really know. What I do know is that transitioning from screen to screen on the iPhone is as smooth as can be and very visually appealing. It's so nice that it's led millions of people to not worry about the shortcomings of the iPhone.

By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone
    Gestures! I'm lost now when I use a smartphone that doesn't have gestures. I liken it to getting a DVR. Before you had one you laughed at everyone that says it'll change your life. After getting one you're constantly looking for the skip back button whenever anything happens, on TV or not. Since I've started using gestures to move around the phone I really dislike having to look for a "back" button or "home" button.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Contest entry for SPE Round Robin smartphone giveaway.
    I appreciate your interest. Personally, I find that the tactile feedback of pressing a key makes my inputting data much quicker. It gives me the reassurance that my key stroke is registered and I can move on to the next key. A virtual keyboard is great for maximizing your screen, but I feel less confident when I use one.
    for da phone!
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast