Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    Hey folks, Rene from theiphoneblog.com (TiPb if you're savvy) here to check out the new digs!

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? ... How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you?

5. What's next for Palm? ... What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?

6. ... what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.

Thanks PC! Look forward to chatting with you, and remember this is an official Round Robin thread -- every day you reply to me right here, you're entered for another chance to win a Palm webOS device of your very own!
    2. Multitasking is awesome; wish I had the Pre Plus with more RAM; no need to drag and drop on the small screen

4. & 5. Palm needs to have the OS address the native GPU support; Open GL; making the OS more efficient will help it to sing (while current basic features, like the calendar, eat up too much memory and can take too long to call the data/then render) =that has been disappointing. They also have to grow their user base.

6. webOS is awesome; I cannot imagine trying to function without the multitasking; there are times I wish my desktop functioned more like webOS.... which leads me to the observation: I cannot believe that the iPhone and iPad don't do these things--especially the iPad (*that is a deal breaker; imagine wanting to cut and past from an email into Keynote presentation you're working on, only to have to close each application as you switch back and forth... really? That is just dumb.)

One thing that webOS was ahead on for a month or so until iPhone 3.0 came out was their version of cut and paste (well, they HAD cut and past while iPhoney 2 didn't); but, iPhone 3.0 did get the cut and past right (dragging the anchor)..... that was slick and worth waiting for (even if it took years).

Please, can you select me to get a new phone? :-) Promise I would give my wife the old Pre (which has gotten a little worn), and I would treat my new Pre (sticking with Sprint--it has not been bad at all!!!! Plus, if the coverage suffers, you get to roam on big red) - promise I would treat my new Pre with love and respect!!!!! PLEASE ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillrobot View Post

What Palm needs to really sell phones is to eliminate lag and roll out a new device with larger screen.
    While both of those are big things they need to do, I think there's one thing that would make this phone beat all other smartphones: if they could double the battery life with almost no size change.

The biggest issue with smartphones is that, while you can do "everything" on them, you can only do it for a few hours. Imagine how great the advertisement would be of three guys, droid user, iphone user and palm user were all surfing on the web, sending emails, playing games, etc. And they're going back and forth with what they can do with the phone but as time goes on, the droid phone dies, then the iphone and the palm guy's still kicking it with 40% battery left.

You could even have them all doing a race (each in their own car) using their phones as GPS and only the Palm guy makes it because the others' batteries die.

I'd have paid a lot more for the pre if it had a battery that lasted 2x as long.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    1. I think this is really a matter of personal preference, and I certainly wouldn't call physical keyboards dead. Ask a long-time Blackberry user to try to type as fast on a virtual keyboard as they do on their phones and they'll about shoot themselves. The Pre's keyboard could be better, and I think Palm could help themselves out by improving the keyboarding experience.

2. Any improved use of copy/paste is a good thing.

3. Continuing to show that the phone continues to get better as time goes along. Ask an Android user about what new non-app functionality they have on their phone and they'll scratch your head. Palm has managed to push frequent updates to their devices and keep them improving at a rapid rate.

4. The 1.4 update next month is going to be huge. Video among other things.

5. They already have a contest running, and I think the gaming experience may be something to hang their hat on in the app department. However, SPEED needs to be addressed. A new form factor with a larger screen... maybe a horizontal slider (if they wanted a keyboard) would be great providing that the hardware specs make a big improvement in response time compared to the newest phones. Maybe offloading some of the CPU resources to the GPU would help. (Palm?).

6. Speed of the iPhone would be the thing I'd be happy about. Otherwise, the lack of multitasking and good notifications would sorely missed. As a meteorologist, I'm deciphering weather data and sending notifications frequently. Having to close a program to write something that will be changing while I'm typing is not a good thing. With multitasking, I can check for changes before I press send for my weather updates.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I could always use more battery life, like my LG Lotus I had before the Pre. That thing would go for 48 hours straight. I know, I know...its not a smartphone. I get that, but boy do I miss it.

I'm just gonna list my wants:

-more battery life
    -voice recording (recording calls)
    -bigger screen (although the more I think about this, the more I am not sure...I am a little envious of iphones when I use their large screen, but to have to carry around that huge thing all the time would get old fast) Think about it...how many times do you see someone with it out on the table? Its cus that thing doesnt fit in their pocket. Not comfortably.
    -less crappy apps. I'm so tired of seeing apps I have absolutely no interest in, finding their way into the catalog. I wish their was a way to block certain developers from coming up. It takes FOREVER to load Preware now. This is more of a Preware thing than Palm thing though.
    -voice activation. voice calls, voice search, etc.
    -iphone app emulator (so we can use all iphone apps, or makes it VERY simple to recode iphone apps for webos).
    -a dock that turns iphone accessories into webos accessories. Or any other phone out there. There are so many iphone accessories, it would be nice to use them with my Pre.

Thats not a very big list. I'd say I am fairly happy with my Pre at the moment. the last few were really just fantasies, but whatever. The only one I would classify for myself as a NEED, would be the vocie record app (for recording phone calls). The rest are only wants. Hmm..I'm strangely bored now that I dont know what to look forward to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dansolo View Post
    I started with a Handspring (2MB version!) and followed through my Treo 350. I loved Handsprings take on the Palm because of its expandability and ingenuity. I loved the Palm OS because it was a PIM first and foremost.

I am probably in the minority, but I miss the basic PIM functionality and the desktop sync. Maybe I am just showing my age.
    Well you're not the only one. Similar path here. I was drawn into Palm/Handspring by the potential of the springboard and the willingness of the inventors to break ranks to keep innovating. I wonder how many people are hoping for Palm to blow us away with some new PIM for webOS however unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillrobot View Post
    What I'd miss most if an iPhone were stapled into my hand:
    1) Replaceable battery (So you're late for the airport and your battery is low? Buy a backup iPhone??)
    2) Multi-tasking
    3) Physical keyboard

I agree Google must be kicking themselves for making a better Sidekick rather than an OS that's true to their web DNA.

What Palm needs to really sell phones is to eliminate lag and roll out a new device with larger screen.
    a backup iPhone?!! HA! totally agree with the benefit of all 3 of your points, although I would miss the notification system as well! And I personally don't need a bigger screen (per your last point), but I am amazed how many people out there do want a bigger screen!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Also love the idea of finally getting VOICE DIAL that was mentioned in the main page today. This is something I have missed sorely on the Pre.

The single key shortcut only works intermittently for me.....

LEMME WIN....
  8. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong888 View Post
    I will admit, the only reason I don't get an iphone is because there is no real keyboard. I have always had phones with virtual keyboards and I cannot stand them anymore. Well, another reason why I don't have an iphone is because I like to make phone calls and not drop them all the time, but that is a network issue instead of a hardware issue. I wish a webOS phone would come to AT&T already. I'm curious to see if it will be the palm pre plus or something completely different.
    Apparently, you might see one in May!
    http://www.precentral.net/fcc-files-...tt-pre-due-may
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The keyboard for many is the selling point of the pre, it's what I love about the phone despite imperfections; hardware wise palm needs a pre with an improved keyboard to really bring it into the realm of other business devices, and that the heavy texter will love. If there's one thing palm should steal from the iphone it's their tiered pricing and options; phones with more or less memory at different costs, as just the standard pre and pixi don't do it.

In the coming year palm needs to come out with one new flagship device, and MARKET. The features and multitasking plus the overall beauty of the device are enough to sell themselves. But the average person whos not tech obsessed has to see it in action so they can say, "hey, I want a phone that can do that". That's how the iphone became a household name, and what palm needs as well.
    Hey folks, Rene from
    1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    Physical keyboards are typically faster because they provide feedback in the form of touch. The BB Storms try to provide that tactile feedback for their touch display, but make it a little hard. Virtual keyboards are good for short use, and is a nice feature to have as an addition to a good physical keyboard, but they will never be better without the right level of physical feedback. Can you type without looking and still be highly accurate using a virtual keyboard? Just no substitute, IMHO.

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    Copy/paste and dragging objects, say a picture to a word editor. I can see some use in it even now.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    I think Palm has that small company ability to adapt and change faster than the much larger Apple and Google. It's almost similar in respects to phyics. The larger the company the more "mass" to turn, and therefore the longer it takes to turn that company to go in a new direction. Apple and Google are still fairly nimble for their size, but we've seen Palm just keep throwing new features and changes to the OS at a very rapid clip. If Palm can put out just one more device, think a slab type, with all the top end features (OLED screen, for example), they can continue to earn more mind share and possible start picking up some serious momentum.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    It's an incremental update and reminds me of the Storm 2; i.e. fix some of the phone's shortcomings in hardware while continuing to add software features. Now they need to take a leap forward on their next device if they want to gather momentum back and take advantage of the fact they are on Verizon now. More consumers to whoo, but tougher competition in terms of the phone hardware (their is no competition to WebOS...it's the best).

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    They need to round off the main features to WebOS that they have left to add, and continue to polish it. The biggest thing they can do to the OS is accelerate it via the GPU. Getting rid of the lag will make WebOS seem leaps and bounds over everything else due to the core features of the OS.

Hardware-wise, I think they need a slab device to round out the phones. Then they can go through another cycle of updates to the hardware. A slab with a slide out keyboard, and a top notch virtual keyboard with predictive capabilities, will really heat the competition up. Without such a phone, I think Palm will miss out on many opportunities to pick up customers, and could continue to really get more than a couple percentage points of market share.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    The virtual keyboard (with it's capabilities), as there are times when you don't want to slide out the keyboard (obviously talking Pre here, and not Pixi) to do some quick text.

The best feature that would be missing when switching is the card task switching and full blown multi-tasking. This feature set would be highly missed for someone going from the Pre or Pixi to the iPhone.
    final post, probably late
    As it relates to Pre Plus and Pixi Plus in comparison to the Android and other new phones on the market, it hard for me to compare. I must admit that I'm "Palm-biased". My current phone is the Palm Pro. Prior to this one, it's been the 700p, 650, and so on. Even when it appeared other phones had advanced beyond Palm's technology, I've chosen to stay with Palm.

I look forward to owning a Pre Plus one day. Perhap a reason that's kept me "Palm-biased" is the fact my carrier didn't have much in smartphone/pda phone selection. I switched carriers to get the phone I needed for productivity.

Windows Mobile 6.1 has it's distinct features and abilities. I've enjoyed being able to have an office-on-the-go. Now, I would like to step up to WebOS and experience it's capabilities. Currently, I live vicariously thru a co-worker who has the Pre with Sprint. He had the option of going with other smartphones but opted to wait for the Pre. He doesn't regret it. He, too, has been "Palm-biased" and was the one who got me started with smartphones.

So, it's hard for me to objectively compare the various smartphones when I have my personal preference.
    I wonder if any of our Round Robin reviewers will be picking up a new phone this year, that they didn't anticipate, based on their findings? They each seem pretty set with their respective platform, but did any find one so compelling they couldn't resist?
    So I came from a 1980 style flip phone straight to the palm. I was using t9word and thought I was pretty amazing at it and there was no way anything could be any better. Tried my buddies iPhone touch screen and was way turned off.

LOVE the keyboard on here. easy to use, like that its raised up and I can feel my way around. One nice thing would be to have a few raised bumps across the keyboard to know where i was when not looking though.
    Using a virtual keyboard now....my spouse has a Pre, and the hard keyboard is vastly superior. Keys a bit tiny, but they still work!

Please......this stinks having spouse have the cool phone and me be stuck with an "un-cool" one. I REALLY REALLY want to win (plus it NEVER happens that I win)
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    AND I love the open O/S. Getting all the homebrew apps has been a treat.

I love Firefox/SourceForge for open source apps on the PC...having similar kind of community (including Precentral.net.. (too much sucking up????)) available is great. I just cannot drink the Apple Kool-Aid and submit to their overarching control.

comeon....that sucking up stuff oughta work! (but truthfully, thanks for all the news/etc.)
    How about an Iphone-Ipad emulator for the Pre, like Classic for Palm OS apps? I would love to get my hands on many of the IPhone apps, especially ISiddur!
    Quote Originally Posted by donnadal View Post
    Using a virtual keyboard now....my spouse has a Pre, and the hard keyboard is vastly superior. Keys a bit tiny, but they still work!

Please......this stinks having spouse have the cool phone and me be stuck with an "un-cool" one. I REALLY REALLY want to win (plus it NEVER happens that I win)
    Well, I hope that even if you don't win the contest, you still go out and get a COOL webOS phone!!!
    I love webOS. I'd add a new pre to my collection if I won.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Last day for contest entries? I'm sorry, I've made so many comments I think im empty.

I am looking forward to 1.4. Hopefully it comes on Monday, cus I'm going skiing this weekend and it would be nice to have it waiting for me when I get home!

heres to webOS landing on the 15th like we all suspect!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast