Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    I am waiting until I can update my phone, should I get the Pre or wait until a new model comes out?

I see nothing but good things in my future with palm
    1- Still prefer phones with physical keyboards. Itís one of the main reasons I got the pre.
    2- I think the multitasking and the notifications work pretty well. Nothing mayor has to be added or modified but there are still small problems that need to be fixed (calendar invites, email threading and a few others)
    3- Not sure how palm was able to come up with WebOS with its limited resources. But I wish they had done a year earlier. Even apple should be concerned with the number of new Google devices.
    4- I think the pluses are a logical step for palm. Again, considering their limited resources you can see they did as much as they could to come up with an updated product. From the sprint pre owner perspective I can say that Iím a bit jealous about the extra memory and storage.
    5- I hope the next updates include features to make the phone more attractive to business users. How about a phone with the shape factor of the pixi but the screen size and performance of the pre?
    6- I would give the iphone multitasking, obviously. I would give the pre some of the nice hardware finish
    1. Physical keyboard all the way. I have an ipod touch and much prefer typing on the pre. And plus, now that openGL is instituted, I can't wait to see some games that use the keys. It would be cool to open it up sideways and use the buttons with one hand.

2. Can't say that I really understand the question. To me, the way multi-tasking is implemented is perfect.

3. I think people forget how innovative Palm was. They were really the pioneer of the smartphone industry and I think it's only fitting that they make a splash like they did. Unfortunately, hardware issues/marketing seemed to play a big role in it not launching as spectacularly as it should have. It's my favorite OS, but I've had to swap out my Pre 3 times already.

4. Well, they've come out with tons of OS refreshes. The OpenGL thing took them less than a year. I'd say they made huge progress. The Pre/Pixi Pluses weren't so much the launching of a new device, but both were significant upgrades. The doubled RAM is huge.

5. I would definitely welcome a different form factor. With the introduction of gaming, a horizontal slider would be awesome. A bigger screen would be nice as well.

6. I would just take the iPhone's base of developers and the larger screen. What I would miss from the Pre? Multitasking, the hardware keyboard, the gestures, the notifications, and just the overall feel of webOS.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I just want to win the Pixi!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    just trying to win a pre!
    Trying to win a Pre since I can't get a developer's phone.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I'd miss multitasking if I got an iphone, but I'd love the bigger screen for ebooks. The virtual keyboard is more of an annoyance b/c it doesn't give you any real confirmation that your keys were touched. On a computer you can feel and hear it. On a Pre you can feel it. On an iphone all you get is to see what was typed (and if you're staring at the keyboard itself, you get these little keys looking bigger as you touch them). If Palm is to survive, we need a device with a bigger screen (huge, like the 4.3" one I saw online the other day) and the keyboard that slides out underneath. They could market that as an ebook reader slash phone etc...then the multitasking would be useful (they could show an iphone user trying to do the same thing in a commercial).
    For myself, if Epocrates doesn't come out soon I think I'm gonna go nuts (actually making me consider leaving for an iphone sometimes b/c I hate running Classic and Lexicomp is ssslowwww and Pepid just wants money from subscriptions).
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    the charging port on my pre just broke so I could use a free phone. lol
    Real keyboard and small form factor keep me holding out for a GSM version. T-Mobile to be specific.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I used to have a phone with a virtual keyboard (touch diamond). While it was a pretty terrible keyboard compared to the iphone's, I got pretty decent at it.

But now the majority of what I type on my pre can be done without looking. To me that trumps whatever speed virtual keyboards can attain since you still have to be staring at the keys.

@drinkwd40 - ebooks on my ipod touch still wasnt great. I don't know, I just don't enjoy reading on a video screen. Also, I agree about Epocrates! For now you can use Lexicomp for a month without having to pay, so it's getting me by. But I cant wait
    I've owned Palm smartphones for years. There's just something about having a sure touch or contact with the physical keys. It may be a matter of going with what you're most comfortable with. I tried the virtual keyboard phones but I keep returning to the phones with physical keyboards. Yes, back to my comfort zone.
    I started with a Handspring (2MB version!) and followed through my Treo 350. I loved Handsprings take on the Palm because of its expandability and ingenuity. I loved the Palm OS because it was a PIM first and foremost.

I am probably in the minority, but I miss the basic PIM functionality and the desktop sync. Maybe I am just showing my age.
    I am kicking myself that I didn't get a Pre when they first came out. The Instinct isn't remotely close.

About they keyboard debate, for me physical is faster, even if it's small. No matter how slow I go on the iPhone keyboard I make mistakes.

Also, is there a way on the Pre to close a program when you exit or do you still have to exit then slide the card up?
    pick me pick me... my wife needs a Pre!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    Hey folks, Rene from theiphoneblog.com

1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    I want the keyboard. I'd prefer a landscape one though. And a bt linkup to a fullsize!!

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    It's not wrong to say they invented the successful smart pda and then went on to invent the smartphone. So, it's more a surprise that they've let all this slide for several years while others ate their lunch, snack, and dinner.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    - Music is an afterthought here. That's not good. But who would give up either multitasking or the flexibile open architecture?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    and battery life. I want some.
    1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?

I would love an HD2 style vitual keyboard only solution however, I think Palm needs both types of form factors (physical keyboards and virtual keyboards) to survive. I would like PRE2 to have 2 versions one similar to PRE1 and one similar to HD2.

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?

I don't think it is needed, any thing you might want to embed you can with the menu (if it is supported). Copy paste works great on webOS.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?

I think the credit goes to Palm engineers and Rubenstein. There are a lot of people who moved away from Palm but once they start seeing people use PRE they are sure to come back. Introduction of PRE on other carriers is key. Verizon is already selling them once at&T and Tmobile sign up for it Palm will be in a much better position.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?

Palm PRe PLUS And Pixi PLUS are mid year revisions not a full year revision and even then the update seemed to be much better than iphone to iphone 3G .. with AT&T's coverage I was stuck at 2G speeds anyway but I was paying for 3G

512 Mb memory which should take care of too many apps open issue and a ore responsive keyboard seem like great improvements. I am looking forward to PRE2.
    5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?

PRE 2 with a virtual keyboard and bigger screen i.e a different form factor. I am petty impressed with the form factor they have but webOS would kick *** in an HD2 body.
    Flash support is already coming, APP support seems to be ramping up pretty nicely too.
    6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.

Coming from an iphone3G the only feature that I would steal from iphone would be bigger screen size. Conversely one feature from webOS to iphone would be notification and/or Synergy.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Web OS is awesome
    I love the physical keyboards. I tried the patch for the virtual keyboard but didn't like it at all. I wish there was a button on the keyboard to be able to turn the key lights on & off easier. I keep mine off to conserve the battery & would like an easy fix since I don't need it on much.
    I would like more battery life & to be able to add a sd card of some sort. I do miss the old PIMs & desktop sync, I like to be in control of my info.
    But with all the patches on preware, there isn't much I would change about the PRE. I do love my PRE.
    What I'd miss most if an iPhone were stapled into my hand:
    1) Replaceable battery (So you're late for the airport and your battery is low? Buy a backup iPhone??)
    2) Multi-tasking
    3) Physical keyboard

I agree Google must be kicking themselves for making a better Sidekick rather than an OS that's true to their web DNA.

What Palm needs to really sell phones is to eliminate lag and roll out a new device with larger screen.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast