1.    #1  
    I will make this brief. I have a brother who is a sr program analyst (He knows code). However, he does not necessarily keep up with the cellphone news. He is on Verizon and will continue to be on Verizon.

Yesterday he stated that he was thinking about buying a droid. I responded why, the Pre will be released on Verizon on the 25th. His question was why the Pre vs the Droid?

I have covered the basics but I wanted to ask the forum, if you could list a few bullet points of why the Pre vs the Droid what would they be.

Thanks in Advance.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    The droid has a landscape (and therefore bigger) keyboard.
    The droid has cutting edge applications.
    .. i.e some GREAT GPS based applications and some awesome "Augmented Reality" applications.
    The droid has more simple applications too.
    The Pre has an easier to use operating system.
    The Pre has some 3D games, if you live the US.

If he is a techie, he might appreciate the Droid more.
    If he appreciates beauty, and simplicity, he'll appreciate the Pre.
    1. Desktop level multitasking
    2. Vertical keyboard for one hand operation.
    3. Non-interruptive notification system, much better than droid.
    4. Better display in the sun light
    5. Free and open app distribution process
    6. Easy OTA update process directly from Palm
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The Droid is the Droid and the Pre is the Pre.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1. Desktop level multitasking ...not sure what you mean by that exactly
    2. Vertical keyboard for one hand operation. I use Swype on my Droid, which IMHO, is the best keyboard out there
    3. Non-interruptive notification system, much better than droid.I don't get interrupted on my Droid... there are settings to change just about anything
    4. Better display in the sun light... no truth to this. both devices are great in the sun light.
    5. Free and open app distribution process ... Android is by far superior in the app category
    6. Easy OTA update process directly from Palm ...I haven't received an update on my Droid yet... Android 2.1 should be coming soon.

I switched from Pre since launch to Droid at Xmas time. Honestly, the Droid is much better in almost every category I can think of. The stock camera app on the Droid isn't as good as the Pre, but there are nice camera apps to download in the android market.

I never had any real problems with my Pre, but it just never reached that long-anticipated "wow" factor.
    **Save $348 by Switching to Allstate 877-751-1167 You’re in Good Hands®**
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    If he knows code, then he may have an appreciation for how easy it is to hack the Pre, thanks to WebOS-Internals, Homebrew, etc. Despite Google's claims, WebOS is more open then Android.

It seems that WebOS has a lead as a gaming platform as well.
    Last edited by RafRol; 01/27/2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    It seems that WebOS has a lead as a gaming platform as well.
    Yeah, the update that allowed 3D gaming came right after I switched to the Droid. I waited 6 months for that update (and video recording). But, it sounds like people are having some issues with the 3D games on Pre.

Polarbit has some very nice 3D games for android, but right now that's about the only company with anything worth downloading. I believe the problem is android doesn't allow the games to be stored internally, only on sd card. Devs don't want to take the time to do the extra coding.

The one thing I like about iphone is the quality of first person shooter 3d games.
    Another issue for Android in general and 3D games is the large amount of variety there is among Android phones...some have a physical keyboard, some don't, different screen sizes, different versions of the Android OS, custom OS skins, etc. It makes it difficult to code the really good games with that much variation. You essentially have to code for almost every possibility.

However, it really comes down to what he will be using the phone for...just like the iPhone, it is hard to sway someone to the Pre if there is a particular app they really want/need. If barcode scanning and augmented reality are big on the list, then there is really no reason to consider the Pre.

However, I got to play with the Droid on several occasions for an extended time, and I personally like WebOS better overall. The multitasking is there in the Droid, just poorly implemented. The notifications are not as elegant or unobtrusive. The OS feels less polished. The keyboard feels completely flat, will no real transitions between the keys, making it harder for me to type on despite being bigger. I may get used to it like I did with my Pre, but overall I prefer the Palm.

The Droid does have a beautiful screen, a microSD slot, and lots of apps, so if multimedia is his thing, then the Droid may be the best choice. Not that the Pre is a slouch...we have tons of music apps and video on the Pre's screen is gorgeous...but I find the 8 gigs a bit cramped with all my apps, music, and a couple of movies. To be a true mutimedia player the Pre needs expandable storage.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I tried out a friend's Pre today (first time using a Pre since Xmas Eve)... it seems so slow compared to the Droid.

I would be happy with every 3D game just utilizing the touch screen and do nothing with the keyboard.

you do get used to the keyboard after a day... but Swype is the way to go.

Is Swype available on the Pre yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by 471405 View Post
    I tried out a friend's Pre today (first time using a Pre since Xmas Eve)... it seems so slow compared to the Droid.

I would be happy with every 3D game just utilizing the touch screen and do nothing with the keyboard.

you do get used to the keyboard after a day... but Swype is the way to go.

Is Swype available on the Pre yet?
    It isn't slow when you have the apps open that you use on a frequent basis.

People need to learn that WebOS is not a single app system, you dont have to open and close and open and close all the time. Having a super fast opening app is not as important since you can leave them open and move between them VERY QUICKLY.

While I would like some more speed overall, I can open all the apps I use frequently and switch between them WAY FASTER than an iPhone or even multitasking Droid would be able by using the advanced full swipe gesture to swipe. When you learn how to use WebOS as it is intended you will see it is FASTER than other systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    While I would like some more speed overall, I can open all the apps I use frequently and switch between them WAY FASTER than an iPhone or even multitasking Droid would be able by using the advanced full swipe gesture to swipe. When you learn how to use WebOS as it is intended you will see it is FASTER than other systems.
    It sounds like you don't have much experience with Android then. Press an hold home for just under a second and your last 6 most recent programs are a tap away. That's seems "WAY FASTER" than 6 advanced full swipe gestures to bring up a program at the far end of the row of cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It sounds like you don't have much experience with Android then. Press an hold home for just under a second and your last 6 most recent programs are a tap away. That's seems "WAY FASTER" than 6 advanced full swipe gestures to bring up a program at the far end of the row of cards.
    Yeah but one of those 6 open apps you are talking about is likely a Process Killer app that you have to keep checking so you can see which apps were not closed properly and are slowing down the device.

Id rather use advanced gestures on the Pre and not think about if an app is closed or not when I know I did my part to close it.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I had a Pre for 6 months... I think I knew how to use it the right way. lol

Everyone should go vote for the Pre (or Droid in my case) on Engagdet... we can't let iPhone win in every category.

Vote for the 2009 Engadget Awards! -- Engadget

I also posted in my blog linked below.