Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    So i've had my pre since 2 weeks when it came out. I also JUST patched my phone and did the tweaks....and I must say, I am truly impressed. I am very thankful for all the hard work everyone has done here! So Thank you!!

I don't know why it took me so long to do all this, (homebrew, etc). I guess I was kinda scared of doing it, even though I've had a windows mobile phone, and am very used to installing new ROM's daily and playing with the programming-all the fun of windows mobile phones lol.

I do REALLY love my phone, WebOS looks so beautiful, and its very elegant, def worthy of comparison to the Iphone IMHO. I love how everything looks, the amazing colors, the aesthetics of the phone.

Having said this, I am sad to say that I will be moving to the Hero in about 2 weeks. There are a few reasons for this:

1) I am a phone geek....once I get very used to a phone, I have an urge to get something new, something which i've never had before and I can play around with (and i've never used an android before, so I'm really curious)
    2) My Pre is kinda falling apart...I've had alot of random glitches software wise, and my hardware is kinda falling apart. My power button is very hard to press and doesn't always work, my usb charger thing came off and thats kinda annoying, I am getting random cracks everywhere (and I take care of my phone) and the slider on my phone isn't the best. The build quality of my Pre IMO isn't quite as good as I'd hoped.
    ---But I do like the keyboard, and the shape of the Pre...better than the Hero for sure.

I understand every Pre is different, so I may have just gotten unlucky (and no I do not have insurance on my phone, I got it off Ebay brand new from a reputable seller).

3) The Pre is kinda laggy, for me at least, although I know this will get fixed, and the feb update will give the Pre alot of great feature.

4) I don't know if its just me, but my phone will ALOT of times give me a message randomly that says: cannot get a data connection, even if i'm in an area with all bars and had evdo a second ago...Its REALLY annoying. My entire area I'm in has perfect sprint coverage, and i've never had a problem with any other phone, just my Pre...no clue why.

So basically, for me personally, the build quality of my Pre, less than steller battery life (I don't really want to spend $$ on extended batteries or have 2) on 1 charge, the slight lagginess ( i know the Hero can get a little laggy too), and the fact that I've never used Android and really want to try it out is why I'm switching.....for now.

Not going to lie, if the Pre plus comes to Sprint, there is going to be a VERY good chance I come back to the Pre, esp since most of the "faults" of this Pre will be fixed.

But yea, so summary, just want to say Thank you to all the great members of this forum, and thanks to all the people who spent alot of time making the amazing patches, homebrew's, and all the amazing members that not only made the Pre way better than it is, but all the advice/help they have given!

I'm probably going to get flamed as this is a Pre forum and I just talked about the hero, but I'm expecting that. But just a fyi, this isn't a Hero vs Pre post, or a post about which phone is better, just my opinion and a way to express gratitude!

:-)
    Very nicely stated. Have fun with your soon to have new phone. Do hope you come back someday.
    thats nice
    Just be prepared to be extra frustrated with android especially since ur coming from webos...BE PREPARED...not gonna go to much in detail about all the difference with the user experience, since that isn't the topic....but I will say this I had an android device before I got the pre and have since given it to my mom who isn't as tech savy as myself...it's rooted so I have to perform certain tasks for her to keep it on the latest hacked android build...I can barely stand to use it anymore because it's such a bother navigating not to mention twice if not 3 times the lag of the pre which is the same performance as the hero will deliver...dude I can go on and on...

but hey have fun wit android...cause they have some great apps...you'll love google goggles!
    Does any know if the barcode scanner application will ever be available for the pre?
    I would be surprised if you really get flamed for this post. The way you wrote it was not what I would consider to be worthy of flames. That said, this is a place full of people who are quite convinced that WebOS is the best. Myself very much included.

At any rate, have fun with your new phone. Maybe even go to the cross platform area and give us your thoughts on having worked with both of them.

And then when you're bored with the Hero, come back to a Pre. Because as often as new features are added (not just in updates, but with patches, etc.), it'll be like a new phone again in a little while.

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
    Does any know if the barcode scanner application will ever be available for the pre?
    There's some kinda barcode app at AppScoop: PreQR
    I haven't tried it though...
    neelesh,

Thanks for your great post! We know that it's good to let objective people to "cross pollinate" a bit and many of us know (even though we can't afford) your love of phones! You'll be doing us more good "on the other side" chatting to people about the relative strengths of the Pre and WebOS versus the Hero and Android. I wish I had the luxury to do what you are about to do!

Hardware wise, I think the Hero is probably optimized most of the way that's possible while the Pre has a lot more headroom. I suspect eventually you'll be back once the coffee has finally brewed!

Regarding your Pre, you should try and fix it up while it's not your everyday phone. I recall some "slider fixes" posted here several months ago. I had a repair tech slip a sliver of plastic under my power switch to make it as good as new. I have USB cracks too but they actually aren't affecting the functionality. The crack is moving into the lighted area of the screen these days. Now that the Pre is not your daily phone, maybe you can try putting some sort of glue/filler in the USB crack and devise a method to stop it! Come to think of it, you are giving me ideas!

Have fun with the Hero and please remember to write back here about how things are going from time to time!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The power button issue alone should get your unit replaced under warranty. Visit a repair center and see if they will replace the unit. No reason you can't get it replaced and still get the Hero. Even a ebay unit has a 1 year warranty from Palm and repair Sprint repair centers handle warranty issues.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Moved to the correct forum and changed title to match actual content.
    This is a refreshing change from the normal "i hate pre, hero is so much better"

All of the reasons you listed are valid reasons to switch. I myself have never had any of your problems, so i guess im lucky. I understand your impulse to buy a different phone. I ended up buying a pixi when it first came out just because i wanted to experience it. Its sad palm couldnt get the build quality right the first time, but the Pre+ seems to be better, and shows palm recognizes its an issue. See ya on the other side.

Good luck with Android and the Hero. Just remember, swiping the bottom of the screen does nothing on android. Every time i play with a touch phone, im always trying to swipe back WebOS style. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by neelesh View Post
    So i've had my pre since 2 weeks when it came out. I also JUST patched my phone and did the tweaks....and I must say, I am truly impressed. I am very thankful for all the hard work everyone has done here! So Thank you!!

I don't know why it took me so long to do all this, (homebrew, etc). I guess I was kinda scared of doing it, even though I've had a windows mobile phone, and am very used to installing new ROM's daily and playing with the programming-all the fun of windows mobile phones lol.

I do REALLY love my phone, WebOS looks so beautiful, and its very elegant, def worthy of comparison to the Iphone IMHO. I love how everything looks, the amazing colors, the aesthetics of the phone.

Having said this, I am sad to say that I will be moving to the Hero in about 2 weeks. There are a few reasons for this:

1) I am a phone geek....once I get very used to a phone, I have an urge to get something new, something which i've never had before and I can play around with (and i've never used an android before, so I'm really curious)
    2) My Pre is kinda falling apart...I've had alot of random glitches software wise, and my hardware is kinda falling apart. My power button is very hard to press and doesn't always work, my usb charger thing came off and thats kinda annoying, I am getting random cracks everywhere (and I take care of my phone) and the slider on my phone isn't the best. The build quality of my Pre IMO isn't quite as good as I'd hoped.
    ---But I do like the keyboard, and the shape of the Pre...better than the Hero for sure.

I understand every Pre is different, so I may have just gotten unlucky (and no I do not have insurance on my phone, I got it off Ebay brand new from a reputable seller).

3) The Pre is kinda laggy, for me at least, although I know this will get fixed, and the feb update will give the Pre alot of great feature.

4) I don't know if its just me, but my phone will ALOT of times give me a message randomly that says: cannot get a data connection, even if i'm in an area with all bars and had evdo a second ago...Its REALLY annoying. My entire area I'm in has perfect sprint coverage, and i've never had a problem with any other phone, just my Pre...no clue why.

So basically, for me personally, the build quality of my Pre, less than steller battery life (I don't really want to spend $$ on extended batteries or have 2) on 1 charge, the slight lagginess ( i know the Hero can get a little laggy too), and the fact that I've never used Android and really want to try it out is why I'm switching.....for now.

Not going to lie, if the Pre plus comes to Sprint, there is going to be a VERY good chance I come back to the Pre, esp since most of the "faults" of this Pre will be fixed.

But yea, so summary, just want to say Thank you to all the great members of this forum, and thanks to all the people who spent alot of time making the amazing patches, homebrew's, and all the amazing members that not only made the Pre way better than it is, but all the advice/help they have given!

I'm probably going to get flamed as this is a Pre forum and I just talked about the hero, but I'm expecting that. But just a fyi, this isn't a Hero vs Pre post, or a post about which phone is better, just my opinion and a way to express gratitude!

save yourself the time and buy a iphone 3gs and jailbreak it.its the best thing out there......also,at&t is dropping their rates today.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    You're one of the reasons stuff costs as much as they do. You return stuff just because you can. You'll never be happy.

You're complaining about quality of the phone that you bought off ebay.... Also, i do not think Ebay and Reputable belong in the same sentence.

Lag? you don't know lag. You will with the Hero. But then again, you'll return that in 30 days to get something else and drive costs higher for everyone else.

Maybe if you bought the phone from Sprint or Palm they could have helped you. Did you ask your "reputable" dealer from ebay? I'm sure they should be able to help...

Thanks for the great comments, but please donate to webOS-Internals who do a lot of the great work which made the phone that much better for you. Also, you might want to do some homework before buying a product, this will save you the trouble (and us the high costs) of you returning the item just because you "Wanted to try something else." Take care. Hope to see you back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    You're one of the reasons stuff costs as much as they do. You return stuff just because you can. You'll never be happy.

You're complaining about quality of the phone that you bought off ebay.... Also, i do not think Ebay and Reputable belong in the same sentence.

Lag? you don't know lag. You will with the Hero. But then again, you'll return that in 30 days to get something else and drive costs higher for everyone else.

Maybe if you bought the phone from Sprint or Palm they could have helped you. Did you ask your "reputable" dealer from ebay? I'm sure they should be able to help...

Thanks for the great comments, but please donate to webOS-Internals who do a lot of the great work which made the phone that much better for you. Also, you might want to do some homework before buying a product, this will save you the trouble (and us the high costs) of you returning the item just because you "Wanted to try something else." Take care. Hope to see you back.
    Dude chill... he didn't say he was taking it back he just said he was getting a hero. I for one think just by reading this that might be a good decision in his case. I have made the switch (although I am regretting it now), but definitely understand his reasons. Like myself he has to find out for hisself. I am actually getting another pre tomorrow and selling my hero.

G/L on your new phone. let me know in the cross forums if you like it in about a month or so
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I'd recommend you use a Hero before you make the switch. I saw reviews of it on youtube that claimed it was the "Best device on Sprint." Naturally that got me excited, while I do love WebOS and my Pre (apart from the shobby build) I figured I'd check it out. I went to a Sprint store and played with it for an hour.... whoever said it was the best device on Sprint is smoking crack.

Android feels terrible compared to WebOS, literally. I don't even have any bias towards webOS to try to fudge around, it really was that much worse. Only thing Palm has to fix IMO for me to love the Pre enough to never leave is make as solid as an iPhone 3Gs in terms of build quality or even the Hero(Hero has incredible build quality).