Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    yep im sure it's been asked many times ....

i like both but i need to choose lol
    palm pre!!! It's better. the hero can't even play 3-D games! Only reason you need loll
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ok that's a start what 3d games are on the pre :P
    hmmmm your asking on a pre forum
    i wonder what will be your answers?
    hero has 3D games too just not as good as ours.

my gf has a hero n I have a pre. It comes down to personal preferance. Try em both @ sprint store.

hero has widgets which are awesome! But webos is more polished n multitasks better
    what you really should do is search 'pre and hero'.... there are countless threads on it that you should read to find your answer
    This signature for rent
    I wrote about this just the other day. Having used both quite extensively my recommendation is to go with the Pre. It's in a completely different league. Here are my thoughts from another thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/2156099-post14.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Spork1673 View Post
    ok that's a start what 3d games are on the pre :P
    better ones that they are on the hero
    Htc:
    +superior build quailty
    +more and better apps
    -slow updates to current OS build
    -sluggish after a while (need to use third party task killer)
    -windows mobile like application handling.

pre:
    +best multitasking of any phone
    +most open platform
    +easier to tweak and homebrew
    +3d games
    + fast updates
    +constantly upgrading os
    +smooth os
    -bad build
    -poor battery
    -apps still not there
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Htc:
    +superior build quailty
    +more and better apps
    -slow updates to current OS build
    -sluggish after a while (need to use third party task killer)
    -windows mobile like application handling.

pre:
    +best multitasking of any phone
    +most open platform
    +easier to tweak and homebrew
    +3d games
    + fast updates
    +constantly upgrading os
    +smooth os
    -bad build
    -poor battery
    -apps still not there
    Sorry but have to call bull s*** on a few of your points.

--webOS is definitely not the most open platform, Android is hands down.
    --Android also has 3D games now, since API has been added for 2.1, there's already one game out called Speed Forge
    --Android is also a constantly upgrading OS hence it being on 2.1, which the Hero will get soon.
    --Android is a much smoother OS then webOS
    The rest of your points I agree with.
    Alex was here.

Blackberry Pearl>Blackberry Curve 8310>iPhone>Blackberry Curve 8900>G1>iPhone 3G>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I was really wanting to move to the Hero a few weeks ago, then I went into Sprint and spent about 1 hour playing with it. Ya, I'll keep my Pre... you might like it but the only thing I preferred on the Hero over the Pre was the super'b build quality. IMO the Pre had it beat everywhere else.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex1080p View Post
    Sorry but have to call bull s*** on a few of your points.

--webOS is definitely not the most open platform, Android is hands down.
    --Android also has 3D games now, since API has been added for 2.1, there's already one game out called Speed Forge
    --Android is also a constantly upgrading OS hence it being on 2.1, which the Hero will get soon.
    --Android is a much smoother OS then webOS
    The rest of your points I agree with.
    Well aren't we talking about the Hero here, not Android in general? Currently the Hero can't play any or at least any good 3D games. As far as upgrading the OS, yes Android is constantly upgrading, but the devices aren't. The Hero is still on 1.5. For me that is a concern for Android devices...there is no guarantee that whatever Android device you are running will get the official latest update. I know that the Hero will eventually get the 2.1 update but by the time it gets that, 2.2 might be out. That is probably the main reason that I left WM, because the devices were too fragmented and I constantly had to go to xda to get my updates.

The Hero and Android might be a bit smoother than the webOS, but I've found the Hero/Android to require a few more steps to do the simple things. For me the flow of the webOS is much better than Android.

But in the end, I think it comes down to preference at this point. Both devices are really powerful and running a young and improving OS. So for the OP, try both devices out and see which one you like. For me, I think I prefer the Pre more. I just wish Sprint was getting the Pre Plus, because I want that 16GB of storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by mherald81 View Post
    ... I just wish Sprint was getting the Pre Plus, because I want that 16GB of storage.
    Hopefully Sprint will get some sort of "follow-on" model. Palm could probably both save money and satisfy customers more by using an external SD expansion card.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    android has a distribution model that are not very easy to assess collectively. I mean, even WM only has two modern version to talk about, Android apparently has 3 or 4.

Altho I appreciate the diversity of android distribution model, its way too many and google need to get it down to two at most. Its not a good way in the smartphone market when google itself only has a small piece of pie.

I have no hands on experience with android, so Im just gonna say, based on Droid commercial, that I prefer the notification system on WebOS.
    From my very unbiased opinion & coming from somebody whom has never tried android. I would say Pre.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have a Pre, but I've used both the Hero and Moment quite a bit. I like the Hero, it has a nice smooth interface and desktop widgets are very handy.
    I'm not a fan of touch keyboards so the physical keyboard of the Pre is my preference.
    *Web browsing on the Pre is much better thanks to smoother scrolling, a more useful landscape scrolling mechanic using the gesture area, plus pinch to zoom and tap to zoom on the Pre are FAR superior to the zoom on the Hero and Moment.
    *The interface on the Hero is excellent but some of the controls and options are tucked away in strange places. The Pre has easy to find options but many common options are fixed and not adjustable without patching. In my opinion patching is a must for the Pre since so many of the things people feel the Pre should be able to do simply aren't available out of the box.
    *Until recently I would have given the Hero points for video camera and apps that are more powerful, but I think with Pre 1.4 update next month all of these issues should quickly resolve themselves. Already with Need for Speed, Sims and several of the other new games that have launched for the Pre we see finally what all that unused hardware is for.
    *The Hero can multitask fairly well, though it handles multiple applications in a similar fashion to the Blackberry, simply hiding the open application until you launch it again. The downside to this is that you need a 3rd party task killer app to close these applications to keep the phone from slowing down as the memory gets used up. With the Pre it's easy to multitask, the cardview shows you each app that is open and makes them easy to switch between and easy to close. In fact multitasking on the Pre is so easy you'll find yourself leaving your favorite cards open all the time.
    *While the Hero has a 5 megapixel camera it's not quite as useful as you may think: Sprint limits MMS files to 1MB or 1000KB, the 5MP camera saved files come out to 1008KB which means with the camera set to highest quality you can't actually send the pictures using picture mail. So you have to change the camera settings to 3.2MP just to send them. Same with videos, the 5MP videos look excellent, but 1MB is only a few seconds at that resolution.

In the end you'll want to spend a bit of time playing with both and asking a Sprint rep some questions concerning how to use various features. The Hero and Pre both have great features but are very different animals.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    i never thought id see the day where one of the Pre's advantages would be "3D Games"

makes me proud of WebOS....

+1 for the Pre. after CES announcements, Android doesnt have much to prefer over WebOS. Watch the gap close at light speed come feb/march when 1.4 releases and the PDK goes public
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    I have a pre and hero (got yesterday) so far still loving the pre and the UI, and worst thing about hero so far, getting used to its lack of a keyboard.
    The Hero will get it's updates months later due to HTC needing to implement SunseUI to it. They're not getting 2.1 until around June.

/thread
    have both in my hand right now.

really depends. I say pre but like its been said before the hero has a much better build quality, its solid. quality wise pre sucks, had it for like 3 days and already the charger door fell off first time i used it and slider is already starting to rock sideways. but the OS is sooooo smooth. Stuff just works. Android isnt there yet. BUT android is a good mix between smoothness of webOS and functionality of windows mobile. Kinda right down the middle.

try it out for yourself though
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast