1.    #1  
    I know I've done more than my share of Palm bashing, but I want to atone by offering my frank assessment of the state of Android App Development. Last month I went from Verizon Treo 700p to Verizon Motorola Droid. I have continued to closely follow Palm Pre news and developments while keeping up to date on Android development.

I want to tell you Palm loyalists that in my opinion, the Palm development community is much tighter, more communicative and more dedicated to WebOS than what I've seen in the Android community.

All you have to do is keep a close eye every day on PreCentral and also on AndroidCentral to see that the Palm community is much more spirited and active than the Android community. Notice that I said "AN-droid" community because despite its huge sales, as far as I can tell there really is NO tightly knit DROID community. Maybe the G1 had a bond among its users. Maybe the HTC Hero also had a community, but DROID users have yet to unite.

PRE users on the other hand, may be hopelessly outnumbered, but they stick together and work for their common good, as the Pre Homebrewers have continually proved.

I also want to let you all know that I've been sorely disappointed by the quality of most Android Apps. There's a whole lot of CRAP out there, and I don't just mean fart apps. I'm talking about apps that just don't work, are poorly supported. have crappy UI's, crash your phone, and just don't do what you'd expdct. All you need to do is browse through the comments on the Android Market to see that 80% of apps have very poor reviews.

So hold your heads up high PRE users and don't let trolls like me get your spirits down. I'm willing to bet that a year from now, if Palm releases a Pre2, it will kick **** and I'll be there in line eager to switch back from Android to Palm.
    Don't misjudge the loyalty, quality, productivity, and talent of the Android community. It appears you may have a blind side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Don't misjudge the loyalty, quality, productivity, and talent of the Android community. It appears you may have a blind side.
    or you could have a bit of bias just putting it out there
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    All you have to do is keep a close eye every day on PreCentral and also on AndroidCentral to see that the Palm community is much more spirited and active than the Android community.
    I would have to say AndroidCentral is all but a ghost town. The place to be seems to be here: Android Forums
    Though, then again, I don't spend my days in other forums being bitter... *cough*Kupe*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I'm willing to bet that a year from now, if Palm releases a Pre2, it will kick **** and I'll be there in line eager to switch back from Android to Palm.
    We're more than likely to see a Pre2 in less than a year. The grass is always greener...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    It depends on the phone. Moment has a very active development community on two boards. samsungmomentforum and sdx-developers
  6.    #6  
    Let me give a specific example. There are two apps available to bring the mobile ORB experience to Android. OrbLive and Androrb. Months ago, the creator of Androrb released a beta as Open Source and invited developers to help make it better. NOBODY took him up on it. The creators of ORBLive have recently released a "free" and a paid version. According to all accounts they both suck. (I only tried the free version.)

And while the Pre has 0 apps for Orb, I believe that if a PRE-Orb app were released as Open Source, the Pre community of developers would be all over it to help out.

In general the state of audiovisual apps for Android is far below what was available for Palm. No Kinoma, No Coreplayer. Nothing even close. Maybe when Flash 10.1 comes out that situation will improve for both Pre and Android.
    From my experience...Android and Droid to be specific rocks because Verizon is good at spending money to upgrade their networks and advertise.

The Droid wasn't that impressive when it first came out, but landed on V with a Huge Bang and that's all people see.

As I've referenced before, Molly Wood on Cnet thinks her Droid is the best thing since sliced bread...too be honest I can't remember when we didn't have sliced bread, but then now there's the Nexus One and the Droid is old school and people are wondering when they can upgrade.

I'll give up my Pre for an Android device when they make an interface that make since, multitasking that works, and open the door to more options for development...somewhat like Palm's doing.

Either way, thanks for the heads up, we'll look forward to you coming back, and BTW Android is Much Better then an Iphone...they don't even multitask, but I suspect that won't last. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 01/16/2010 at 03:10 AM.