Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I was talking to two Sprint customer retention types today to cancel my service (another dead Pre touchscreen... this is my 3rd Pre now) while at a Sprint store.

When I informed them that I was canceling my service altogether because I didn't see anything at CES that looked like a decent upgrade/sidegrade from the Pre (the hero and moment.. meh) and that I wasn't interested in continuously swapping Pre phones when it eventually died, I was told separately by the two different retention people that..

*unsubstantiated * rumor * pics or it didn't happen, i know i know * etc*

The iPhone will be coming to Sprint before the end of February.

*unsubstantiated * rumor * pics or it didn't happen, i know i know * etc*

That's all they told me. I didn't ask for more info or press for details (really didn't think about it - wife has an iphone and it's not really on my radar/interest). But thinking about it now, if it wasn't just some CSR retention promise, it seems plausible.

Everyone announces everything at CES. Apple doesn't - they do their own convention/announcement things (WWDC is very soon).

The next iphone is 4G, which is Sprint.

Sprint's upcoming line up sucks. The Pre news is cool and all, but it's refreshing an old line announced a year ago.

Sprint is traditionally much more open/friendly than verizon. Verizon seems to be doing better lately, but they still nickel and dime everything, and that (regardless of whether love or hate the iphone) really goes against the iphone platform. Any iphone nickel and diming is coming from AT&T, which is still really only plan related - not feature related.

Sprint has nothing else that could take eyes/mindshare away from an iPhone launch. Feels intentional in retrospect.

The contract/ETF cancellation thing suddenly comes through in a different light.

Again.. I know.. pics or it didn't happen. Either way, I've put my Sprint cancel plans on hold. We'll see by March 1 whether they were blowing smoke up my ***, and if so I'll post about how badly I was duped (and everyone can chime in w/ whatever else they think).
    "blowing smoke" If they weren't Apple sure has been... wait til u get an iPhone.
    by the way I own 3 Macs that I love but the iphone... is a different story.
    Nice theory. It's good to go out on a limb every now and then. (It shows that the mind is still functioning!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Yawn. I will be keeping my anemic Pre!!
    True or not, I will not be getting an iPhone on any carrier, just not interested.
    good for sprint.

tho that bears no impact on my decision. I can think of no reason to get a device with single tasking, 10 year old UI, apple restriction, apple royal tax, no keyboard, non-removable battery, computer connection necessary, etc. Its just such a step down from a real modern OS.
    Last edited by clevin; 01/14/2010 at 07:16 PM.
    Compared with my Pre the iPhone needs a backpack to carry around. There are times when I like the bigger screen, but carrying it all the time makes me think I prefer the Pre. I have a laptop for a bigger screen, although putting the iPhone in my front pants pocket could expand my chick magnet status??????
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    not going to happen, the iphone is exclusive to att till June 29th 2010
    not necessarily the iphones bigger but the pres thicker
    You know, as much as I would love to say how dumb this rumor is, I have to admit that it would make a lot of sense for Apple to go with Sprint instead of Verizon. Sprint desperately needs a hit since the Pre hasn't turned out to well for them, and so they'll probably cave to whatever demands Apple would have to make it happen. They have a cheap plan, a pretty good network, and 4G rolling out this year. Sprint is primed for some real success, they just need that one big hit to push them over. A 4G iPhone would probably do that.

Of course, I'm not saying this will happen. I'm almost positive it won't. But it is fun to think about I guess.
    That would certainly be interesting. I still have my fingers crossed for a Pre2.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I had thought about it longtime back. I hope its true.
    Not that I switch to iPhone, but sprint needed some magic phone.
    And iPhone is that phone. While this is happening I would like to see Pre on ATT and TMo.

If you guys remember , Dan Hesse never said anything against the iPhone. Which might be the reason for Pre's commercials being lame. They went hard at iPhone with SAMSUNG instinct, but not with Pre.

Who knows ?
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    That would certainly be interesting. I still have my fingers crossed for a Pre2.
    Yup, I am waiting for a Pre2. I care less about the iPhone. But it will drive the mainstream folks nuts. Sprint stock will take of like a rocket.
  14. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Late last year I was at Sprint corporate store looking at Heroes and Pres. One of the CSR's mentioned that Sprint was getting the iPhone early 2010. Of course I laughed it off like any of us would.

I'm in Florida, not sure where the OP is from.

wkj
    This may be a dumb question, but is the iPhone 4G a 4th gen iPhone or network??? If it is a 4G network, could it even be sold on AT&T??? AT&T can't even do 3G worth a (self-edit). So could it be possible? Maybe. Would I switch to an iPhone? (Cringe)No way in hell! So to me this would be non-news! I guess I just like my Pre, ok; 'like' is kinda an understatement!
    Last edited by Meltedwire; 01/14/2010 at 07:50 PM.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    honestly i doubt that a sprint iphone will ever happen look at the issues its brought att theyre internet is perpetually overlogged
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    by the way I own 3 Macs that I love but the iphone... is a different story.
    Same here. I have a Power Mac G5 for every day computing, MacBook for when I go away on vacation or business, and Palm pre for everything else
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    if it happens, i am really happy for sprint, altho iPhone is a steo down in my mind from Pre, Im sure there are large number of people who recognise apple's name more.

It would be good for sprint.

Palm is stepping into big network of VZ and ATT, i dont think a sprint iPhone will hurt palm in any significant way.

so, all is good for me!
    I too heard this, I am not interested but if it helps sprint get some customers then I'm all for it! Sprint never makes profit and is in such 'dire straights' because they are always adding to their network. They have argueably the best cs, and the best plans.
    by the way I also heard many times over and over how verizon getting an iphone in july (by a regional manager and several store managers)
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    honestly i doubt that a sprint iphone will ever happen look at the issues its brought att theyre internet is perpetually overlogged
    Sprint has a real network and could handle an iPhone as well as Verizon.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast