Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Well I doubt the iPhone is coming to Verizon anytime soon. Verizon has been attacking not just AT&T but also has been targeting the iPhone directly with it's Droid adds!

No way that they'll just deny the "misfit christmas toy" commercial never happend and that they'd all of a sudden add the iPhone to their inventory.

I am surprised how little Sprint showed at CES, so.... who knows, the rumors are out there! It would be a big hit for Sprint to get the iPhone, especially if they get the next gen version with all those rumored fancy specs!
    So, a couple of things here. Not all are necessarily in support of opposition of the original post:
    * It makes more sense to move to another GSM network rather then to CDMA. Isn't LTE is going to be GSM based anyway isn't it?
    * I've seen pics of the bottom of an alleged iPhone 4G box with a T-Mobile label.
    * If they do make a CDMA version for Verizon, why not sell it on Sprint as well?
    * It's possible Apple is planing to open the iPhone to all carriers. Spreading the iPhone out over all the carriers would definitely help smooth out the data drain it's causing while being exclusively on AT&T.
    * it seems weird to me that Apple would make a WiMax phone. I mean, on the one hand it makes sense because it's really the only viable 4G technology around. But on the other hand it means Apple would be marketing the iPhone 4G on a single carrier again and I just have a hard time seeing that as the future. I guess it's possible that the 4G will land on Sprint and with other carriers only getting an updated 3G device.

I don't know, it's all speculation anyway.

P.S. the company I work for (Bent Image Lab) made that "Island of misfit christmas toys" commercial.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    If Sprint gets iPhone, I guarantee our plan prices WILL go up! May stay cheaper than att, vzw and tmo but they WILL go up. I think the iphone would do good on ANY network, hell if cricket had the iphone they would flock and by them by the millions. If the specs of the new iPhone are true, that will be a BA phone on Sprint's network.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDriver View Post
    If Sprint gets iPhone, I guarantee our plan prices WILL go up! May stay cheaper than att, vzw and tmo but they WILL go up. I think the iphone would do good on ANY network, hell if cricket had the iphone they would flock and by them by the millions. If the specs of the new iPhone are true, that will be a BA phone on Sprint's network.
    i dont think so. Sprint is still a 49 million users network, acquiring iPhone will only level the battle field with ATT in the minds of tard population. They still need plan price to attract new users.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    not going to happen, the iphone is exclusive to att till June 29th 2010
    the annoucement could come in february and and sales wont have to begin till around july time, when sprint normally launches new phones.

the idea isint far fetched!
    I like the idea. It's a homerun for Sprint (in so many ways). Not too bad for Apple either.

Now do i think it will happen? Nope..
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    No thank you, I like my pre. Go WebOS!
    I'm surprised that you folks are even discussing some this particular rumor which such enthusiasm. At this point in cellular tech, any company making and releasing a 4th generation (LTE) phone this year is unlikely. There are only like ones of cities testing LTE on Verizon and ATT is expected to begin testing LTE in ONE city later this year.

The major expansion of LTE prolly won't happen until late 2011 and early 2012. So you prolly really won't see any 4G LTE phones until mid 2011/late 2011. I would suspect that b/c the two largest wireless carriers in the US and other carriers outside of this country are going LTE most of the major phone manufactures are going to make LTE compatible phones.

Sprint's 4G network is going to be the odd man out. I say all of this to say that its unlikely that Apple or any other phone manufacturer is going to release a 4G phone this year and especially for Sprint's odd ball 4G network.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Ya I would love this to happend but I really doubt it.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ^ I've heard the Apple-went-to-Verizon-first-and-walked-out-because-Big-Red-wouldn't-give-them-enough-control story, but I've never heard even a single rumor that the same happened with Sprint.

Furthermore, I find it extremely hard to believe that Apple took a look at 2007-era Sprint, still reeling from the botched Nextel acquisition and suffering from a huge identity crisis, and said, "Sprint! Those are the guys for us!"
    I heard the same rumor and even saw concepts of the "mini iPhone" that was being offered to Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Ya I would love this to happend but I really doubt it.
    JUST A WORD OF CAUTION TO EVERYONE: (I'm "seconding" the above statement.)
    Even though I said early in this thread, that this was an "interesting theory", I want to caution PreCentral members NOT to get their hopes up. Usually we set the "threshold" for believing rumors much higher that this. In this case, this is not even a "rumor", just a "theory". Most of us could really don't care one bit about what happens with the iphone (on any carrier). I think many of us who like Sprint would like to see this happen (simply to stabilize a good company whose value is underrated by the general consumer). If you keep in mind that everything positive in this thread is simply wishful thinking, you will not be disappointed if/when this does not happen.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    that would be sad if sprint didn't get the iphone...and were just banking on a pre2 for there flagship phone...big red is stepping up their line up a boat load...the droid the pre plus , the google phone and the storm...and if they do get the iphone holy crap...that would be an amazing line up of phones.
    Last edited by dannydos; 01/15/2010 at 09:09 AM.
    I can see the Sprint commercials on TV now...Introducing the first 4g phone on the first 4g network...the Sprint Iphone 4g WebOS based phone.

Apple is known to keep secrets very well about its future products. Sorry if I am out of the loop. But has Sprint even announced anything about its "first 4g phone on the first 4g network?"

Rumors aside...my wife would be happy to have an iphone on our sprint contract. I hate them and will stick with my Pre. If the iphone had WebOS then I might re-consider.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    While I am neutral on the iphone coming to sprint I do know that Apple has a "major product announcement" scheduled for the end of this month.

Much of the speculation has been for a new tablet computer but lately there has been some buzz that it could be more iphone related.
    I believe I read somewhere that the Wimax towers could be changed to LTE with a software change, please correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure this would be good or bad long term for sprint. It wouldn't bode well for Palm unless they can take some Android marketshare. I may buy some sprint shares just for the chance this happens though.
    This thread takes the cake. The OP is either playing with us or is truly challenged. Even if the iphone was actually comming to Sprint (which it is not), how the hell would some Sprint CS person be in the know on this? No way.

I also think that if Apple names their new iphone the 4G they are going to create a lot of confusion and ill will when people figure out that it does not operate at 4g speeds.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I will have to admit, this does seem plusable. However, the iPhone just isn't that great of a phone anymore. It has an old rusty OS while the rest of OS's are leaving it behind in the dust. There is one thing that the iPhone has that nothing else doesn't, Mindshare. Everyone knows of it because they all know what an iPod is. Apple doesn't have to even advertise, just let the iPod. Right now, in in the public mind's view, the iPhone is the best. Therefore, Sprint could really use this. I personally think that in a year or 2, when Apple has pushed the hardware to the best of it's abilities, they will have no were to grow. Their OS box is now bursting and soon when the hardware is, the only thing they can do is add a better possessor every year (like the iPhone 3GS). The iPhone 3GS is the start of the end for the iPhone.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I would worry about data pricing if the iPhone comes. Sprint may try to jack up their pricing.

Having said that. This thread should be in Cross-Platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I will have to admit, this does seem plusable. However, the iPhone just isn't that great of a phone anymore. It has an old rusty OS while the rest of OS's are leaving it behind in the dust. There is one thing that the iPhone has that nothing else doesn't, Mindshare. Everyone knows of it because they all know what an iPod is. Apple doesn't have to even advertise, just let the iPod. Right now, in in the public mind's view, the iPhone is the best. Therefore, Sprint could really use this. I personally think that in a year or 2, when Apple has pushed the hardware to the best of it's abilities, they will have no were to grow. Their OS box is now bursting and soon when the hardware is, the only thing they can do is add a better possessor every year (like the iPhone 3GS). The iPhone 3GS is the start of the end for the iPhone.
    While it is very true that the iphone is becoming out dated keep in mind just like webos is being updated on a regular basis so is and will Iphone OS. I mean version 4.0 is already supposed to have multitasking similar to the pres so all they have to do is pretty it up a little and there you go. Also I will take the speed of the iphone os anytime over this lag on the Palm Pre. I'm still a happy pre owner and hope that by the time we have a Pre 2 we will be standing allot better.
    I'm In for The IPhone on Sprint, I for one would be first in line to add it to one of my lines. And all of you saying you wouldn't??? HAHAHAHAHHAHAa You Make Me Laugh.
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast