1.    #1  
    Well, after resisting valiantly I'm toying with defecting to Sony. I love my Prism, but it's pretty beat-up and is starting to develop annoying little faults - the charging light is burned out, stuff like that. It's also a brick.

That said, it still works and I have very accessory you might want for the Prism. I basically use it as a laptop replacement. I've got a wireline modem AND a cable that connects it to my cellphone, so I'm set for web browsing and communications on the road. I've got an eyemodule, a SoundsGood MP3, and a Stowaway keyboard. The NR series combines the camera and the MP3 player, but I still need to be able to get on line and word process with the thing.

The new NR series is on the horizon, and I'm very tempted to get one. I know no one else has one yet, but I have some general questions for folks who hang out here and own other SONY models:

1. How well do they hold up? Are you generally happy with yours?

2. Does anyone know if SONY will come out with a modem of some type for the NR series?

3. Is anyone aware of cables to connect Clies to cell phones?

4. Is Think Outside likely to come out with a keyboard for the NR series, hopefully faster than they did for the Edge?

5. Does Sony have serial cradles? Unfortunately, my firm is stuck in the dark ages and we do not have USB ports on our PCs here at work (I do at home, of course).

Your wise counsel is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by VTL; 03/27/2002 at 12:11 PM.
    I can't help you with most of your questions. However, I've had an N710C for around 5 months now and it's great. It has held up very well - better than my VDx did. If I had it to do over again, I probably would get the 610 - I don't use the MP3 player much - but it's nice to have. Anyway, I really couldn't be happier with it...that NR series sure is sexy though.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    It's gonna be quick, cause I have to head out the door, but in my mind, the Clie is a marked step up from the Prism. I moved from the Platinum to the T615c and still had an exciting learning curve for about a week. As for the fun gizmos for the NR, we are still waiting on such things for the T series. Realize that Sony is riding the wave that Handspring was in the early years. We are just witing for the market to catch-up. BRANDO has been able to produce several cables, but I've yet to get online with the T615. You might want to check there. They are usually one of the first to come out with aftermarket products.

Make the jump, I've yet to hear of anyone regretting it. I certainly don't.
    I'll try to be short and succinct, but you know how well that usually goes...

Originally posted by VTL
    1. How well do they hold up? Are you generally happy with yours?
    My T615C is holding up very well -- both in my satisfaction with it, and physically. I've dropped it several time (in it's Extreme Limits case) because I'm an *****, and no problems have resulted from my clumsiness. Last time I unfortunately dropped it on an uncovered corner, and there's a slight dent -- but it's running great.

Best way to put it: I'm not lusting after the "next great thing", i.e., Palm OS 5 ARM-based models. The NR-70C looks nice, and the processor speed looks great, but the features don't make me regret the T615C purchase. The Zaurus.... well, that has potential to distract the whole-wheat geeky half of me. But at the moment, it wouldn't satisfy my day-to-day PDA needs.

3. Is anyone aware of cables to connect Clies to cell phones?
    I'm wondering if Sony's thinking in terms of connecting Clies to phones via Bluetooth (and the Bluetooth memory stick). But Brando does have a serial cable out for the T-series, which means it should work for the NR series.

4. Is Think Outside likely to come out with a keyboard for the NR series, hopefully faster than they did for the Edge?
    We live in hope. They've sent me e-mail that they'll have something out for the T-Series late in the 2nd quarter. Again, if it works for the T-Series, it should work for the NR series. (Unless the faster processor means a driver re-write? I wouldn't think so...)

5. Does Sony have serial cradles? Unfortunately, my firm is stuck in the dark ages and we do not have USB ports on our PCs here at work (I do at home, of course).
    The Brando cables -- there are a number of folks posting on ClieSource and elsewhere using the Brando serial cables to hotsync with NT 4.0 (no USB, no way, no sir). However, I understand that anything beyond hotsyncing -- i.e., using the Memory Stick Import/Export ability -- won't work via the Serial cable.

Hope that helps!
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I go along with everything Bookrats said, except my experience goes to the 760C. I absolutely love mine.

I went from a Deluxe to a Prism and to the 760. So far, it has been flawless. I really baby all my electronic devices, but it has held up extremely well. My Dad has one and his has been dropped a couple of times. It is still running just like new.

The only concern I would have with the NR series is the Battery life. My 760 is fine, and I could probably manage with a 615, so I am anxious to see how well the NR lasts.

Considering your investment in the Prism, you might be better off waiting until OS5 devices start shipping. Or, try to find a cheap 760 and a decent Digital Camera.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  6.    #6  
    Great comments - thanks very much.

I'm tempted to wait for OS 5 devices, but I'm dying to upgrade now. I purchased my Prism when they first started shipping (to replace my Dx), and it's very long in the tooth.
    Also ... some (very few) cell phones have IR capability. For example, the Nokia 3360, which is a very popular phone. With this, you can not only send business cards to/from the Clie, you can also use the phone as a wireless modem.

I use my 3360 as a wireless modem for both my Dell notebook computer and my Clie 760.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Seen this on the VC front page? A potential way to carry your old Springboard modules on another Palm PDA w/Bluetooth.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by bookrats
    Seen this on the VC front page? A potential way to carry your old Springboard modules on another Palm PDA w/Bluetooth.
    You did happen to notice todays date, right?
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    You did happen to notice todays date, right?
    Oh.... $%#@!

Thanks for pointing that out. Seemed like such a nice idea...
    Jeff Meyer

11.    #11  
    You know, I had the same thought as I read the piece. I was really stoked until I was about 2/3 of the way through the piece and remembered the date. Nice thought though.
    Haha, I didn't even notice until you guys brought it up. Didn't have much of an April's Fools Day today, LOL. Anyway, back to the topic...

It is no doubt the Clies are awesome. I came from using a Palm IIIc, so I was already spoiled with color, but the Clie really impressed me. High-res is awesome, and it could be so much better if more was developed for it! As for memory card expansion, the Clie is great there, and it's awesome to see all PalmOS devices now have memory expansion, it's a must. As for my favorite function, the MP3 ability is awesome, I use it all the time, and it would be so different without being able to carry my tunes around. ::thumbs up:: to Sony!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  13.    #13  
    Woohoo! There is going to be a cable connecting the T-series Sony to a Motorola Startac (my current phone), available shortly.

http://www.thesupplynet.com/productD...fm?prodID=6424

So, if ThinkOutside comes out with a keyboard I'm all set.
    there's supposed to be a wireless keyboard coming out fairly soon which will work with any IR-capable PDA. I think I read about it at PalmInfoCenter.com.
    I own a Clie 760c and have had it for several months
    already. It hasn't had any serious problems that I couldn't
    fix. Battery life is very good. I don't plan on buying
    the next Clie NR series. I have no use for a digital camera
    right now.