Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I commend you on taking the time to produce such an informative thread. I too am trying to make the switch from a Palm to the Droid Eris. I am having difficulty doing so.

I have always known that if it sounds too good it must have strings attached. Well, after taking advantage of Verizon's FREE Droid ERIS this past weekend, I am distraught. The ONLY reason that i am even remotely looking for a different phone is because I have "damaged" my Palm 700P. Dropped well too many times and lost the antenna screw about 8 days ago, I figured I might as well see what else may be out there. Particularly since Palm has dropped the ball on this Palm Pre. It was so bad that i was tempted to use a Blackberry.

The Droid Eris, and what seems to be all the Android based phones, caters more toward the "young-minded" adult rather than the "grown" adult. People more into Tweeting, looking at their Facebook, texting, and just "geeking" around. It does make business since, considering they are the ones that spend the money frivolously. Heck, when the phone does a reboot it displays a "droid" on a skateboard......go figure........ROFL

On the ERIS, the difficulty using the keyboard as you stated is an understatement, it's darn near impossible to type without typos while walking...... LOL

The more that i dig into this phone the more issues i seem to find. Things such as....

1) the inability to privatize individual contacts from prying eyes. I know many celebrities & popular in-the-public people and it is my duty to keep their contact information protected.

2) The lack of a standalone PC/MAC address book/calendar app to sync with like the palm desktop. I really do not like using Outlook for contacts and calendar items.

3) What about important docs that you need to secure. Yes, one could use BioWallet but you need syncing capabilities so changes that are made on the phone can be synced to your computer.

4) Where is the media sync? Or am I really missing something here? If I take a picture on my phone why can't i just press a "sync" button and have them installed on my computer also?

Synchronization is important nowadays and for some reason this Android platform seems to put that as a second or third thought. As you have, I too used Palm Desktop for Contact & Calendar management. So now i'm having to dump my contacts into Outlook just for synchronization via the HTC Sync manager and it is a pain.

Yes, one could sync to Gmail/Google or some other "web-based" service but who wants to open up all their contacts to the government and others that can legally force them to turn over all information on you. They would have your entire lifestyle, who you know, what you do, where you go, where you are at any given moment, everything about you. Even Verizon's "Wireless Sync" is vulnerable to legal levying. I am truly amazed how many people place their "life" online.......

Anyway, I've had this phone for 3 days now, and after researching the internet to find apps that will provide the security, convenience, and ease of use of the Palm and its apps, I'm about to sell this thing. I wish Palm would pull their heads out and produce another phone with quality workmanship as the 700P, because the Palm Pre is truly NOT worth it........
  2.    #22  
    I can only respond positively/informatively to #3. SplashID is a workable solution which support syncing. If you happen to be a PasswordPlus user on PalmOS, see my PasswordPlus->SplashID (or generic) conversion script at:
    Help with CSv files

Also, here's a forum for PalmOS->Android switchers:

From Palm OS to Android (Droid) - Page 2 - Android Forums

Finally, if you're dissatisfied and you've just switched to Verizon, it's probably best to get out of your new contract entirely (in the first 30 days) rather than sell your new phone. Also remember that they have Palm Pre products now. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with the Pre.

I'm still frustrated with my Eris, but am looking forward to a forthcoming 2.1 Android upgrade. Also hopefully there will be a small/light Android phone with a keyboard when I'm ready to switch again in 22.5 months and counting.
    I'll look into PasswordPlus and Splash ID. I never used PasswordPlus on the Palm. I never needed to. The "privatizing" of contacts were perfect. I created "contacts with notes for my banking info, passwords etc.

As far as Verizon, i've been a customer for well over 13 years. So it really isn't that much of a problem.

Thanks for the response and helpful info.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12