1.    #1  
    Hey everybody! I have always pushed the Pre to my friends versus Android because I feel it is a very easy phone to use if you have never used a smartphone or are scared of them.

Ease of use is one aspect that is not brought up in these forums because most people here have had a smartphone and like to tinker. However, it is extremely important to customers outside this niche.

I have never used an Android phone but I wanted to know, for the people that have had both, which system is easier to use looking at it from a first time user?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Definitely webOS, it is not even close. With android there are so menu's to go through just to get something simple. Other than being open source, i don't know what the big deal about android is. My friends family all got android phones as their first smartphone (HTC hero and moment) and are really confused how to do simple tasks.
    Android just seems like the next generation of the of Windows mobile metaphor.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    When it comes to simple out of the box ease of use, then webOS is a lot simpler to use. The biggest learning curve would be learning the gestures. A lot of the menus are easy to find and use. One example is the ability to turn on WiFi. You have to go through numerous menus in order to turn on and off Wifi. Now once you learn how to use widgets, it gets easier. HTC's Sense makes it a bit easier for android users, but when comparing first out of the box experience, WebOS is the champ, following only iPhone or a simple feature in ease of use.

Once you get used to the OS, Android is more customizable as of now. With webOS, it is customizable, but you have to be somewhat tech savvy in order to do it. Preware is good and all, but putting your phone in developer mode and then launching WOSQI, and installing this and that to your computer can be complicated for a non tech savvy person.
    I don't get how people think Android is confusing. You do realize that if you need a menu in an app, you simply just click the "Menu" button on the front of your device? It really isn't that complicated.

My girlfriend, who is in no way a tech geek, has no problem using her Droid.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I don't think it's so much ease of use where WebOS wins as it is consistency and the fluidity of the whole experience. Android just seems clunky. Lots of buttons to press, levels of menus to navigate, screens to swipe to get to where your widget resides.

They both work and look nice. But both have things hidden away in menu's, for example how intuitive is it that in order to update the prl on the pre, you have to launch the dialer and then select preferences under the phone menu? You have to know where it is first to even have a clue.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pre--just ditched an htc hero (and mt3g before that) for my pre. My wife got a pixi at the same time I got my hero, and I fell in love. If only the pixi had wifi.... But I have a feeling I'll come to be glad of the extra oomph the pre has inside.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I don't think it's so much ease of use where WebOS wins as it is consistency and the fluidity of the whole experience. Android just seems clunky. Lots of buttons to press, levels of menus to navigate, screens to swipe to get to where your widget resides.

They both work and look nice. But both have things hidden away in menu's, for example how intuitive is it that in order to update the prl on the pre, you have to launch the dialer and then select preferences under the phone menu? You have to know where it is first to even have a clue.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pre--just ditched an htc hero (and mt3g before that) for my pre. My wife got a pixi at the same time I got my hero, and I fell in love. If only the pixi had wifi.... But I have a feeling I'll come to be glad of the extra oomph the pre has inside.
    I had a Hero for 30 days before switching to the Pixi. I cannot tell you how much simpler and more fluid WebOS is. Customizing is nice, but like other users mentioned, swiping 7 screens to go here and there, finding a widget, then it doesn't update well so you go to the app anyway, dealing with keyboard lag, screen-swiping lag, app loading lag, etc... I spent SO much time messing with my phone during those 30 days with the Hero. The Pixi (and I'm assuming the Pre) is SO easy, and I still get to tinker with it through Homebrew. Do I deal with lag from time to time? Yes. But it's nothing compared to the Hero...
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    I've had WebOS since launch and my sons, being the rebels they are bought Blackberry Curve and HTC Hero when they upgraded. I've used all of them now and can say those 2 devices are for people who like to go thru menus after menus to get to something! They both drove me nuts! I wouldn't give you a plug nickle for either of them. What a pain in the a**! The simplicity of WebOS is far superior to the other crap out there in smartphone world. I spent 4 months researching smartphones before my last upgrade because I was stepping into a world I knew nothing about and yet I wanted a phone to make my day to day life easier to manage...since I manage a business. I made the right choice! Go Palm! Go WebOS!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Coming from the 800w, I missed the hardware buttons for simple muting and WiFi on/off. but after putting the free apps for these Ring Toggle and Wifi OnOff, its a breeze. No menu navigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by saboater View Post
    Coming from the 800w, I missed the hardware buttons for simple muting and WiFi on/off. but after putting the free apps for these Ring Toggle and Wifi OnOff, its a breeze. No menu navigation.
    Come on now, is swiping down on the launcher menu and choosing wife-off really that hard?

Update: Just re-read my Post "Wife-off" would be the best added feature if they could implement it....LOL. Obviously I meant "WiFi-Off"
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 01/16/2010 at 12:24 PM.
    I switched from my Pre to a Hero at about 4:30 p.m. The 11th and switched back to the Pre by noon on the 12th. I've been playing with the Hero since then and I've come to the conclusion that everything I need to do is just easier on the Pre. The widgets were nice. I will give it that much, but the lag, noticeabley slower browser, and endless menus made me come running back to WebOS.
    Both of them are easy to use. But maybe it's because I'm young and good with technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    I switched from my Pre to a Hero at about 4:30 p.m. The 11th and switched back to the Pre by noon on the 12th. I've been playing with the Hero since then and I've come to the conclusion that everything I need to do is just easier on the Pre. The widgets were nice. I will give it that much, but the lag, noticeabley slower browser, and endless menus made me come running back to WebOS.
    OT.. I tried to help a Co-worker with a G1 yesterday. She wanted my to d/l and install a podcatcher on her phone.

What a cluster-kcuf to navigate and operate. I gve up after 15 minutes fighting with it. NOT intuitive WHATSOEVER. Android was like a WindowsMobile version from Hell. That OS is just menu hierarchy'ed to death. I hope this isn't the same on Droid and Hero otherwise I can't see how the blogoshpere can call THAT the iPhone killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    OT.. I tried to help a Co-worker with a G1 yesterday. She wanted my to d/l and install a podcatcher on her phone.

What a cluster-kcuf to navigate and operate. I gve up after 15 minutes fighting with it. NOT intuitive WHATSOEVER. Android was like a WindowsMobile version from Hell. That OS is just menu hierarchy'ed to death. I hope this isn't the same on Droid and Hero otherwise I can't see how the blogoshpere can call THAT the iPhone killer.

Amen, while I will give in and admit there is alot you can do with Android but as an OS it's just clunky and unintuitive. I was using the Sense UI which from what I hear is LESS difficult than vanilla Android, and that scares me.
    Last edited by xome1983; 01/16/2010 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Amen, while I will give in and admit there is alot you can do with Android but as an OS it's just clunky and unintuitive. I was using the Sense UI which from what I hear is LESS difficult than vanilla Android, and that scares me.
    What gets me is that I don't see what improvements could be made in order to be better than the iPhone or webOS. Android just seems like an OS for "now" and not the future. There just doesn't seem like much more could be built-out on Android other than skins like MotoBlur and SenseUI. And then at that point, Android begins to severely fragment and un-unify itself...something that contrarily, iPhone has shown to be one of it's strengths. I agree that Android has rescued Motorola for now but what about Motorola in three years?

However, I see a lot of potential in webOS and easily leapfrog Android in it's capabilities. The technologies within the core of webOS looks to give is some "legs" for 5+ years.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I have a G1 and a Pre.

The problem lies with the amount of functionality in the phones. With the G1 you can do more, so you HAVE to have more options.

The Pre is a "point and shoot" and the Android is an SLR.