Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. You're missing the point. it's not about verizon for me... it's about the software... openGL announced, new video recorder, and overall I'm happy the software updates which have added features and sped up the device particularly the calendar... that is more of what i'm interested in... the SOFTWARE!!! Sure expecting verizon also... and ATT... What I'm hoping for is a 800x480 huge device in 2011 with webOS. Today I keep my ipod touch handy when I want a little bigger screen, but webOS wins me over for enjoyable to use.
    2. sure. I also think enterprise adoption will help with palm pre. I work for a company with 300,000 employees and they JUST approved the Palm pre for syncing with exchange server. So I hope companies are "trusting" Palm and open their enterprise world up... I think iPhone is still generally (in many large companies includign mine) not viewed fondly, since it's like buying your employee a toy.
    3. I don't know anything about Nokia, sorry
    4. I actually type better and faster on my ipod touch than the poor Palm pre keyboard (it's recessed and not very clicky). Pixi keyboard is much better.
    5. a) Hackable/ open, great dev community, even if we don't win the app count war.
    b) light, pocketable
    c) enjoyable and natural to use with cards multi tasking. using my ipod touch I feel so limited with no multi-tasking (bible reader switching to typing notes to web to email). on the pre I feel no limitations.
    The albino girl is cool too.
  2. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post
    4. I actually type better and faster on my ipod touch than the poor Palm pre keyboard (it's recessed and not very clicky). Pixi keyboard is much better.
    To each his own, I guess. I'm worse on my ipod Touch....and I've used it many times for typing through MSN so it's not a case of not putting in the time to get used to it.
    1. Palm was the leader in the smartphone market with the Treo and then everyone else passed them by. I was blown away by the webOS announcement at CES in 2009. Just last week we saw them announce the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus for Verizon, along with excellent gaming support and more updates. Was this what you were expecting and if not, what were you hoping for?
    I am really new to Palm, it's been less than a month, Pixi for two weeks and Pre for a little over a week. So far I am impressed with the updates and what appears to be going on in the Palm world.
    2. Part of the reason the iPhone did well is that they launched on the second largest US carrier. Sprint has great data and calling features, but I don't think they have been that helpful for getting webOS devices into lots of people's hands. Do you think the webOS will take off when it appears on Verizon Wireless later this month?
    I think it will help get it out there more.
    3. What Palm webOS feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your webOS devices with a Nokia smartphone?
    Never used a Nokia smartphone, I have used a couple of Nokia's internet tablets, I own an old N770 and an N800 series, and they work well. I would miss the multitasking the most.
    4. Will there always be a keyboard on Palm webOS devices? I personally prefer a hardware QWERTY keyboard and think this is a fine strategy, but wonder if they will have a form factor device similar to the iPhone.
    Don't know, seems a Palm thing though. I would like to see it on a format like the Samsung Moment Android phone with a full QWERTY and touchscreen so I could use either depending on what I am doing.
    5. If I was thinking about the Palm Pre as my device, what 3 things would you tell me about it to convince me to buy one?
    1. Multitaksing 2. Universal Search 3. Flash is right around the corner!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I've been looking through the homebrew catologue, and I've noticed that webOS has matured rather quickly in terms of what people have been able to accomplish. Time to install homebrew on my sisters pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by palmsolo View Post
    So we now see that webOS devices will very shortly be on both Sprint and Verizon. I have a couple questions about carriers in relation to webOS.

1. Will Sprint get the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus too?
    2. We heard AT&T state webOS devices are coming in early 2010. Why didn't Palm talk about them, what are they going to be, and when will we see them?
    3. Will we see a webOS device on T-Mobile? Any rumors at all of this?
    1. Definitely not while VZW holds exclusivity over those models.
    2. My guess for not talking about AT&T is that they'll be getting a new model when it rolls out later this year. Hopefully, Sprint users will get some love with a new model around the same time as well.
    3. A webOS device on T-Mobile would be awesome. They have the cheapest plans and really great customer service. I actually left T-Mobile so I could get my hands on the Pre. My guess is that if Palm sends T-Mobile some love it will be late this year or early 2011, but they won't see anything that other carriers won't already have.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    1. Well, we got video recording, and editing! I was happy with what came out, but a tad let down that there wasn't something completely revolutionary that came out of CES.
    2. More phones in more people's hands will always be a good thing. It will get into a lost of people's hands, assuming that they market it very well.
    3. Probably the kick *** web browser.
    4. I want to see a tablet-esque device, with out a hardware keyboard. That way, you can fully immerse yourself in the beauty that is webOS.
    5. The pretty fonts, the web browser and the elegant multitasking.
    Here are a few questions I have for you Palm webOS owners to kick off the discussion:

1. Palm was the leader in the smartphone market with the Treo and then everyone else passed them by. I was blown away by the webOS announcement at CES in 2009. Just last week we saw them announce the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus for Verizon, along with excellent gaming support and more updates. Was this what you were expecting and if not, what were you hoping for?

This is about what I was expecting. While some folks were hoping for a Pre 2 or some other new phone to come out, I was hoping webOS would continue to get updates and these were some fine updates! I think this is just what Palm needed to do. You gotta crawl before you walk!

2. Part of the reason the iPhone did well is that they launched on the second largest US carrier. Sprint has great data and calling features, but I don't think they have been that helpful for getting webOS devices into lots of people's hands. Do you think the webOS will take off when it appears on Verizon Wireless later this month?

I certainly think it will help. I still expect Verizon to pimp the Droid more than the Pre Plus or Pixi Plus, but just with the sheer number of customers that Verizon has, webOS will become more "mainstream". Hopefully Verizon will advertise a bit better than Sprint did!

3. What Palm webOS feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your webOS devices with a Nokia smartphone?

It would have to be the cards for me. When I first tried my brother's Pre a long time ago, I definitely had a "***?!" moment when he was showing me the cards and multitasking abilities. webOS almost looks complicated when you are watching someone use their Pre with no knowledge of cards or gestures. When he talked me into getting one of my own to replace my Touch Pro, I was a bit skeptical that I coild use it. I expected a large learning curve. Nothing could be further from the truth though! It is very easy to learn and once you have used the cards, other phones seem clunky when you are trying to switch between apps.

4. Will there always be a keyboard on Palm webOS devices? I personally prefer a hardware QWERTY keyboard and think this is a fine strategy, but wonder if they will have a form factor device similar to the iPhone.

I don't think they will go away from having a keyboard. Palm seems to be doing their own thing and doing away with a full keyboard would be "following the herd" if you ask me. I do see Palm maybe, one day including an on screen keyboard to placate the masses that seem to need one.

5. If I was thinking about the Palm Pre as my device, what 3 things would you tell me about it to convince me to buy one?

1.) If you really want to multitask, this is the phone for you
    2.) The Pre can do just about anything your Droid/iPhone/TP2/BB/etc. can do...dont be scurred.
    3.) While webOS is good now. webOS, IMO has the most potential out of any phone OS out there right now. Get on the bandwagon now while there is still some room.

So we now see that webOS devices will very shortly be on both Sprint and Verizon. I have a couple questions about carriers in relation to webOS.

I doubt they will. Especially if Sprint has any other big name devices coming out this year. I think Palm's next offering, be it the Pre 2 or something totally new, will be what Sprint gets.
    2. We heard AT&T state webOS devices are coming in early 2010. Why didn't Palm talk about them, what are they going to be, and when will we see them?

As others have said, I don't think Verizon wanted their limelight stolen. I would assume the regular old Pre and Pixi will quietly be released on other carries as the year goes on.

I have heard no rumors of webOS coming to T-Mobile, but I do think it is only a matter of time before something makes it's way there.
    highly doubt that when the pre/pixi is released on at&t that it would be the original models. they would most likely get the pre/pixi plus or a 3rd rev (similar to the treo 700w - 700wx - 750 progression)
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    1. Exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. The gradual updates are so nice, they're like little surprises!
    2.I think there's a better chance verizon will help launch it just because I've heard more talk about ut than when the pre came out on sprint. I go to highschool and most my friends either have an iphone or verizon and all the verizon kids are stoked about getting the pixi when it drops.
    3.I'm not super familiar with nokia phones...but I LOVE the card metaphor. It's so nice to flip between and, if you're using advance gestures, swiping across the entire gesture bar to switch apps is amazzzzing. The gesture area as a whole would be missed. It's soooo intutuitive and saves landscape on the screen.
    4. I think so. I mean it's a tough call with so many touch-screen slabs out there but with the original pre tthey chose to make a vertical qwerty slider rather than a horizontal one because it was unique. If they're going for uniqyue looking devices I doubt a slab touchscreen would happen 'cause they're all starting to look the same really.
    5. 1. Once you get used to it the hardware keyboard is awesome
    2. Homebrew community. Brings a whole world of bonding with other users and having fun and it's SO EASY and pretty much safe with palm providing the webos doctor.
    3. Intuitiveness. I could go on and on and on and on. But everything just makes sense...if that makes sense.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Ive said everything I can think of in these round-robins. I hate to be this guy, but contest entry post. If there is any more discussion topics, I will post.

Gameboy emulator came out today. Tried 5 games. its pretty awesome.
    Do you think the webOS will take off when it appears on Verizon Wireless later this month?

I don't think Verizon will do a large promotion like with Droid. Palm seems to be gaining momentum with developers and worldwide distribution/visibility, so even if Verizon doesn't make a big push it may help sales for Palm just by having another large potential channel of distribution. At a grass roots level, I'm curious to see how the sales rep at Verizon represent the product versus Droid and others.
    Sales rep at the corner Verizon store said the device was nice but, l"ike all Palms", keyboard was too sticky. Thinks he will get 5-10 of each phone but doesn't make sense to me if the total Verizon inventory order was as low as was reported here.

Walked into a different store and he said Palm needs a 3rd party solution to sync to Outlook, unlike some other phones. I am thinking now that my local stores will not push this phone although if it becomes popular, anything could change.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    1. I have been more then happy with the WebOS updates so far, and am VERY excited for the upcoming Flash 10.1 update. I can't wait to make my iPhone-using friends jealous!

2. I think that Sprint was actually a good choice for a launch carrier. Part of why it is not one of the top 2 carriers is because it lacks choices for phones. By going with Sprint, the Pre became the best option in a small market, which is a known and successful business strategy. Sprint is a very reliable network where I live, and competatively priced. I used to be a satisfied customer but switched from Sprint a few years ago because they were just not satisfying my inner-gadget-geeks' desire for cool toys. It was the Palm Pre that brought me back.

I think Verizon and Palm are both going to benefit when the new phones come out, but on Verizon the Pre will have to compete with the Droid, and considering the recent hype the Droid has enjoyed it could make it tough for the Pre to find a strong market share with that carrier. I know that WebOS is strong enough to compete with the other devices but marketting will play a huge role in both devices' success.

3. This is truly a tough question. I think its the overall user experience of WebOS and the way all the great features integrate seemlessly, that make the OS so exciting and enjoyable to use. After becoming accustomed to WebOS using other devices just feels awkward and even annoying to endure. WebOS truly spoils the user.

4. Even the big wigs at Palm probably can't predict that for certain, but I sure hope not. Until touch screen technology improves considerably I will always sacrifice a little bulk for the benefit of a hardware keyboard.

5. I LOVE my Pre. You really have to experience it for yourself to understand. I feel that WebOS is only a few updates and features away from being the standard by which all mobile OS's will aspire to be, its that good.
    Last edited by cheetum; 01/16/2010 at 04:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    1. I was expecting 3-D gaming and video recording. I was hoping for a new form factor: a larger Palm Pixi with 32gb of built-in storage, microSD slot, and wifi.

2. I don't think being on Sprint hurt Palm. I'm happy with Sprint and they have the best value of the four carriers. I do think that expanding the Pre and Pixi to each carrier will help a great deal. I don't think however, that Palm will ever again dominate the mobile world, but they could live in it comfortably, as one of its major players.

3. I own a Nokia e63 and what I would miss if I had to use a Nokia phone exclusively, is the elegance and joy of use of webOS, as well as the card system of multi-tasking. When using my e63 I also miss having a capacitive screen to go along with a qwerty keyboard.

4. I think Palm should make a keyboardless version of webOS. It's not my preferred form factor but palm should make "choice" one of webOS' killer features.

5. 1. The elegance of webOS
    2. The functionality and simplicity of the card system of multitasking
    3. The ease and fun of homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Sales rep at the corner Verizon store said the device was nice but, l"ike all Palms", keyboard was too sticky. Thinks he will get 5-10 of each phone but doesn't make sense to me if the total Verizon inventory order was as low as was reported here.

Walked into a different store and he said Palm needs a 3rd party solution to sync to Outlook, unlike some other phones. I am thinking now that my local stores will not push this phone although if it becomes popular, anything could change.
    Really? Can someone confirm this? I know the old Palms did a terrible job syncing, but I would imagine that Outlook support would be standard in 2010. I recently switched everything over to Google so it's not a total loss, but that is a big deal.
    Comparison N95 vs Pre
    I have used the N95 (original version not 8GB) for 2 years. As my contract ran out I had to look for a replacement. That was a decision for the Pre against the N97. The N97 seemed to be more an evolution (a N95++) and it took Nokia an eternity to release an major OS upgrade to get rid of the major bugs (e.g. drive C space) I decided to try out the interesting newcomer from Palm. I use mostly the following functions:
    - Calendar
    - Web
    - Mail
    - Phone (Calls & SMS)
    - Office tools (MS Office & PDF)
    - Sync
    Less often used:
    - Camera
    - Navigation / Map

So to the comparison:
    The Pre has a better display and webOS is very elegant to use. I cannot judge how good a N97 is in comparison. I the following in concentrate on the software which is relevant for my usage profile:

Calendar
    On the N95 I have installed Handy Calendar V. 2. This software has more view options. I miss that on the Pre. Also it remembers that view being used last time. That is also missing on Pres. But the Pre calendar app is sufficient for my daily usage. Iím hoping that Palm will implement some improvements here in the future. And I compare Palmís stock solution to an (quite expensive) commercial app.

Web
    On the N95 I have used Opera Mini. That worked quite well but Preís browser is much superior.

Mail
    Nokiaís mail client is pathetic. No support for HTML mail. The additional (beta) mail client from Nokia crashed always when I tried to open a HTML mail. Preís mail client and the mail account integration using Synergy is state of the art for me. Using the N95 I often waited until was home to send a mail from my computer to avoid messing around with the phone. The Pre solution is as good as the solution on the PC.

Phone (Calls & SMS)
    The phone app on the Pre works well but sometime I miss the dedicated buttons for taking or ending a call.

Office tools
    Clear advantage for Nokia. On the N95 I have used Quickoffice 6.1 and Adobe Reader 2.5. Quickoffice allows to edit files. The Pre only has a doc viewer app. Sufficient to view files which are attached to mail but you cannot edit data (e.g. correct a wrong entry in a spreadsheet). The PDF viewer on the Pre is crap (50% chance that the file cannot be opened) while the N95 solution is doing a good job.

Sync
    An advantage for Nokia when you want to sync with Outlook. The (free) Nokia PC Suite offers anything I ever needed (sync, backup, software update, Ö). But when you can live with sync to the cloud the Pre is better. Nokia is starting with OVI but currently the Google integration on the Pre is a better solution. OS updates are needed on both sides but the Pre keeps your data and the software you have installed. Nokia wipes the phone completely and an upgrade was always a messy experience (backup data, upgrade, restore data, reinstall all software).

Camera
    Good enough solutions for (low quality) snapshots on both sides. But thatís it.

Navigation / Maps
    Advantage Pre. The Nokia solution never worked for me. Waiting 10 Ė 20 minutes for satellite reception is crap. Last November I went to another city. Due traffic problems I had to park in another garage than usual. As I left the garage I had no idea in which direction to go. I took out my Pre and started Google Maps. In 10 Ė 20 seconds (!) my position was shown on the map and I could figure out how to get to my meeting point.

What Palm webOS feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your webOS devices with a Nokia smartphone?
    Email!

Greetings from Germany!
    I must confess that I know little to nothing about Nokia phones. So instead, Iíll explain my choices of phones & why. I started using the Palm OS on PDAs well before I ever got a smartphone. Before I even chose my carrier, I had to decide if the iPhone was right for me. Despite it being the most advanced software & most elegant hardware out there, the lack of a real keyboard & lack of 3G (at the time) killed it for me. Since there was no clear cut second choice, I decided to choose the best carrier for me.

So the next choice was which carrier to use. I felt that Sprint offered the balance between plan features, plan cost, decent coverage & decent smart phones and I still believe that to be true.

On to phones. Since my original choice was between the iPhone & everything else, I now had to choose from what was available on Sprintís network. I considered Blackberries, but hated that the app choices and the internet experience was horrible. I ended up getting a Centro, since I loved the form factor and the number of apps to choose from.

My wifeís next phone was a Blackberry Pearl, but she was continually confounded as to when you had to hit the button twice to get to the second letter or when the software would figure it out. Very confusing. So we returned that and got a Centro.

My next phone was an HTC Touch Pro. I loved the software out of the box & the build quality was excellent. The software overlay from HTC was a great experience, but I could never get over the whole Windows Mobile experience. While it is very configurable and powerful, it just feels old and slowÖ so yesterday.
    Iíve also played around with the iPhone a few times and purchased an iPod Touch for my daughter, so I can compare the Pre to those devices also.

I fell in love with the Pre with the CES 2009 announcement and waited FOREVER for the phone to be released. I snatched it up on the first day. I loved the experience of using the software. It was very well thought out and I really couldnít imagine not being able to open multiple apps at one time. That is now really frustrating to me when I use an iPhone. However, the lag on the Pre left a little to be desired. It wasnít glaring, but Appleís lack of lag is so nice that you can really spot the difference. I also love the OTA syncing & backup. I used to keep my phone plugged in a lot so I could sync as much as possible. Thank God that is in the past! Now it really just kind of takes care of itself. I donít even notice it as a feature anymore since it just working in the background. It is no longer a part of my consciousness. I do like how Synergy connects contactsí facebook & regular profiles together. Very smooth.

The last thing that I love about the Pre is the OTA updates! First of all, they are frequently adding new fixes and functionality. I canít wait for video recording, flash support, etcÖ But the best part is I donít even have to plug in my phone to update. I can just set it on my TouchStone before I go to bed and itís all taken care of for me. Thanks Palm.

I donít think that Palm or Sprint have done a good job explaining why it is great to have a Pre. There is a big difference saying a phone has multi-tasking and explaining what that is & why itís great (think of the AT&T vs. VZW commercials about talking on the phone and using data at the same time). I donít know if VZW will promote Palm much, but I think it will be helpful to spread the word. Iíd like more people to get on the bandwagon so we could get even more meaningful apps and more development. I donít want this OS to die! It is fantastic. Like Google, I think all of the learnings from their first gen devices will make some spectacular 2nd gen devices!
    Can someone explain what's all the commotion about synergy? It seems cool to have e-mail, chat, and sms in one place, but how helpful is it really? And there are dedicated clients for each of those right?
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmsolo View Post

1. Sprint will probably have no need if Palm introduces the Pre 2 in the summer.

2. They didn't want to infringe on their deal with Verizon. They will get one, but the time is probably still a few months away, whereas Verizon's launch is this month. It could also be part of the exclusivity that Sprint has with the Pre. I'm sure that exclusive deal doesn't include the Pre Plus. Besides, we all know its going to AT&T. At the developer conference, we saw the Pre working on their network.

3. At some point yes, but probably not until next year, or at the end of this year. Now that I think about it, are any Palm phones on T-mobile? Maybe it won't head to t-mobile.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jankyhanky View Post
    Really? Can someone confirm this? I know the old Palms did a terrible job syncing, but I would imagine that Outlook support would be standard in 2010. I recently switched everything over to Google so it's not a total loss, but that is a big deal.
    When I had mine hooked up to Exchange at work, it was seamless- contacts, calendar, and mail all got snagged by Synergy and carried over, no work at all. And it happened as soon as I set up the mail client to talk to Exchange.

I cannot imagine that Verizon would ask them to cripple this functionality-- I suspect the salesperson was just misinformed about the capabilities of WebOS.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast