Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hey PalmSolo! Great to have to our humble home. First, let me just say that these Round Robins are fantastic. I've learned so much about the other platforms, and for me it really reinforces the confidence I have in my decision to go with the pre. It just fits my needs so much better than anything else out there. Just my personal feelings. So, on to your questions.
    1. Palm was the leader in the smartphone market with the Treo and then everyone else passed them by. I was blown away by the webOS announcement at CES in 2009. Just last week we saw them announce the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus for Verizon, along with excellent gaming support and more updates. Was this what you were expecting and if not, what were you hoping for?
    I personally was blown away. I expected video recording, I knew flash was in the pipeline, and I was aware that a Verizon model was on the way. What I didn't expect was for the vilified Need for Speed leak to turn out to be true. I saw the 3d gaming live on the pre and my jaw dropped. After hearing everywhere that the webOS platform would never support such apps and gaming, seeing it become a reality was an amazing thrill. And speaking of the plus, I was equally surprised and excited about the announcement the it would be sporting 512 MB of internal memory. If you want to talk about an improvement that would enhance the multitasking capabilities of the pre, that was it. And a strong product equals a better reputation and more success in the future.
    ***And the shout out to precentral and the homebrew community as a whole was icing on the cake!***

2. Part of the reason the iPhone did well is that they launched on the second largest US carrier. Sprint has great data and calling features, but I don't think they have been that helpful for getting webOS devices into lots of people's hands. Do you think the webOS will take off when it appears on Verizon Wireless later this month?
    I agree with a previous post that said that the Sprint exclusive may have been beneficial to Palm because it allowed them to get their product to market, but at the same time, hold off on a wider distribution on other networks until webOS and the hardwere for the pixi, and most importantly, the pre, were up to snuff. I've said before that I don't feel slighted all about Palm giving Verizon users an improved version of the Pre. As a launch date user, I wouldn't trade the experience of watching not only the platform mature, but being part of the evolution of a homebrew community that has enhanced pre users' experiences in nearly every aspect of the device. Plus, the better product being released to over 80 million subscribers can only help Palm, and hopefully the Big Red Machine will throw it's advertising weight behind the pre and the pixi like they did with the Droid. The more phones that Palm sells, the more capital they will gain to put back into improving their product. Which in turn allows me the opportunity to continue using webOS in better iterations and on stronger and stronger devices. Yeah, call me selfish, but I want to have the best out there, and I love the platform too much to ever use another.

3. What Palm webOS feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your webOS devices with a Nokia smartphone?
    There is so much I would miss. The elegant implementation of multitasking, the custimization that is possible, the intricate connection between hardware and software (experiencing the gesture area and the way it links to the wave launcher and the launcher pages as well as minimizing individual cards, etc, is a thing of beauty) and the way it all seemlessly works together would be hard to give up. But the thing I would miss the most is the thing that I don't think gets enough attention: the unintrusive notification system. The fact that notifications pop up, but stay completely out of my way is so helpful, and the ability to chose either to swipe them away immediately, respond to them, or simply let them minimize to a tiny icon in the corner, is amazingly simple and intuitive that it's a wonder it's never been done before. *And that's the marker of a great product. It never existed before, but now that you have it, it seems so obvious you can't imagine it not being there.

4. Will there always be a keyboard on Palm webOS devices? I personally prefer a hardware QWERTY keyboard and think this is a fine strategy, but wonder if they will have a form factor device similar to the iPhone.
    Man, I hope so. That said, if it helps sell more phones, I have no problem with a virtual keyboard on a large slab. I won't use it, but the more devices Palm sells, the more capital they get, and...well, you know the rest.

5. If I was thinking about the Palm Pre as my device, what 3 things would you tell me about it to convince me to buy one?
    Multitasking, notifications, and the overall beauty of the UI. But I don't think that would be enough. The power of webOS isn't in describing how it works, but actually seeing it in action. If you could see how well it handles everyday multitasking challenges, quickly and easily jumping from card to card, you could see not only how helpful and convenient it is, but also how much fun it is. Look around the forums at the number of posts about how much people like 'fondling' their cards, tossing the around, shuffling them up, and flicking them off the screen to close them out. I would show how convenient the notification system is. *And I would let you just look at the UI itself. The icons are extremely attractive, the browser renders beautifully, and the font, a seemingly minor aspect of a UI, just looks SOOOO GOOD! You have to see everything work together to get an idea of why people are so excited and passionate about their pres and the future of webOS.

Thanks again PH. I hope you find our forums a helpful and friendly place. And I hope you are able to have a better webOS experience again soon. It's a blast!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
    Last edited by morrison0880; 01/14/2010 at 06:48 PM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Round Robin FTW!

1. Palm was the leader in the smartphone market with the Treo and then everyone else passed them by. I was blown away by the webOS announcement at CES in 2009. Just last week we saw them announce the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus for Verizon, along with excellent gaming support and more updates. Was this what you were expecting and if not, what were you hoping for?
    It's exactly what I was hoping for. I certainly didn't expect new hardware (Plus versions don't count as new) and I think the updated models will help generate interest in the devices.
    2. Part of the reason the iPhone did well is that they launched on the second largest US carrier. Sprint has great data and calling features, but I don't think they have been that helpful for getting webOS devices into lots of people's hands. Do you think the webOS will take off when it appears on Verizon Wireless later this month?
    WebOS will explode when it hits Verizon later this month and further explode when it hits AT&T later in the year (possibly with new devices). If by chance they don't then I would have to fault the carriers, not Palm. The webOS devices are solid and so is the OS that runs them.

3. What Palm webOS feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your webOS devices with a Nokia smartphone?
    I would definitely miss the gestures! Whenever I use other devices I find myself trying to flick apps off the screen. Gesturing is so intuitive.
    4. Will there always be a keyboard on Palm webOS devices? I personally prefer a hardware QWERTY keyboard and think this is a fine strategy, but wonder if they will have a form factor device similar to the iPhone.
    I think if Palm wants to sell units to the corporate users they will maintain a hardware keyboard. Right now the Pre and Pixi don't support an official vKB, but the one you can install as a patch is "OK" at best. It is slow to load and doesn't have auto-correct. Both of those issues need to be addressed before I become a true fan of the vKM on the webOS.
    5. If I was thinking about the Palm Pre as my device, what 3 things would you tell me about it to convince me to buy one?
    1.Syncing! Data in the cloud is the future, absolutely. It is great that Palm recognized it and seized the day, so to speak, by building an OS around it.
    2. True multi-tasking. Perhaps it would be accurate to say the ability to seemlessly move from one open app to the next is what makes it appealing.
    3. The user interface. The gesturing is amazingly intuitive. My two-year old daughter already understands how to use my phone in terms of gesturing just from watching me use it a few times. Truly a testament to simplicity of the UI.
    1. The 2010 announcement hit what I wanted, which was native code execution, continued support for homebrew, and an accepted mass market channel "unofficial" apps.

2. It's not going to explode; the Droid probably captured a lot of Verizon users who were jonesing for a good smartphone. Palm's timing However with the widening market base, it will ensure that Palm is entrenched in the market deep enough that we aren't fearing for their existence any more.

3. It would have to be a linux/maemo phone since I'm not sure there's an s60 device that supports everything I expect from my phone.

4. I use the virtual keyboard on my Pre and it's okay. If they spend some effort on it then it's a possibility but that would be during on of the major product refreshes.

5. Multitasking. You have no idea how useful good, easy to manage multitasking is until you have it. And right now, WebOS is the pinnacle of UI when it comes to easily handling the multitasking and managing the open apps.

Synergy. All your contacts, all your emails, all your everything all in one device but still out there on on all those clouds. It's like a blackberry that doesn't go dead when RIM has a hiccup.

Active, managed development. Be honest Nokia users, does Nokia really have a plan for their smartphone environment? Because it hasn't looked like it to me. WebOS has been updated regularly with both user-level improvements and updates to the API for developers. There is distinct vision at Palm for the direction of the platform and there's a firm hand guiding the APIs. But unlike Apple it isn't vise-like or close minded as several aspects of the WebOS API development appears to be spurred on by the homebrew developers. And unlike Google's rather lackadaisical approach to Android, there hasn't been the device fragmentation resulting in multiple semi-compatible devices.
    Hello Matt,

1. Was this what you were expecting and if not, what were you hoping for? (@CES)
    ---Got everything I was hoping for, and more! Video, open app development, gaming! A new carrier! wow!

2. Do you think the webOS will take off when it appears on Verizon Wireless later this month?
    ---Definitely think Verizon will help:
    (a) The Droid is the only true smartphone that Verizon has, and need not appeal to everyone. And Pre is a great phone now available to them
    (b) People who've been tied to Verizon network but liked the Pre, now dont have to switch networks
    (c) I've always thought that Verizon markets well (though Sprint is improving by leaps and bounds)

---Love the webOS! I would miss the most intuitive and user-friendly interface out there.
    (a) The cards approach to multitasking. A thing of beauty! Just too easy to use, addictive!
    (b) The gesture area, just brilliant! You can do everything you want here, going up in an app, copy, paste

4. Will there always be a keyboard on Palm webOS devices?
    ---I definitely hope so. Nothing beats being able to type out stuff on physical keyboard.
    BUT, I hope Palm adds a virtual keyboard as well. One can type out short stuff, like usernames, paswds, urls etc without having to open up the qwerty

---(a) The entire user interface will have you in love and wondering how it could be any other way!
    Intuitive multitasking, the gesture area which removes need for additional buttons. The physical keyboard which helps making typing things such as long emails a breeze. (ofcourse available on other p
    (b) universal search where you just type what you want and options for search in Google-wiki-a webpage-twitter show up
    Also, over the air updates improve your phone continously
    (c) The entire Precentral website, the homebrew community! Anything you need, want, you can do! Theres a patch for that!

+(d) After CES, the app development process is now much improved. The totally open app development process coupled with the Ares project makes the future of Palm look very bright!
    I really like how the Pre Plus has an improved keyboard, but I wonder if Palm plans on making a Pre that does not need to slide. That would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmsolo View Post

Yes, this is what I was expecting, but not what I wanted. I really wanted for them to announce a new/different device. I have said it a hundred times here (ok my post count is not really that high), but I do not like the build quality of the pre. My wife has one and I think I am going to break it every time I use it. I love the form factor, but not the build quality. Call me crazy, but I was hoping for a better quality (hardware) phone to be announced at CES.

All said and done, I do think that they got a lot of great stuff announced at CES and will make for a happier community in a few months!
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    More than I was expecting-- I knew that Palm had to get serious about more apps, but following up the Ares release with both the announcement that you could now write C++ *and* adding a bounty for the top developers? Can you say "gold rush?"

Given how much Verizon's been spending to push the Droid, I don't think we're going to see a huge jump, sadly. I'm not sure how Verizon can position the Pre as a phone you *need* without cutting into the push they've made on Droid. I'm afraid that the Pre is going to wind up competing against the Blackberry for second place. I think most of the immediate sales will come from the Verizon die-hards who've been waiting for the Pre announcement.

Gestures, first and foremost. I think we all take them for granted-- right up until you get on a phone that doesn't support them. Once you've used them, every other phone seems antiquated.

4. Will there always be a keyboard on Palm webOS devices?
    On a Palm device? Probably, but I'd be surprised if Palm didn't eventually license WebOS to other hardware.

I'd cheat by saying synergy, multitasking, and the ease of modifying the phone.

I say "cheat" because when I tell you about syngery, I'm talking about universal search, contact aggregation, and the ease of linking to the web all at the same time.

Likewise, when I talk about multitasking, I'm sneaking in gestures and alert functionality.

And when I talk about modifying the phone, I get to demonstrate the app catalog, Preware, community support, and all the other little touches that separate this device from the others.

I actually *did* just convince someone to get this phone, and rather than starting with those points, I asked what she hated about her last phone (HTC Hero, I think) and what she liked about her Treo, then pointed out how the Pre fixed the bad stuff and made the good stuff better. So far, she's very happy, but I feel like I have to *keep* her happy. Supposed to sit down with her this weekend and show her how to run Preware so she can get the full experience.

I think that might be one last point for the Pre-- this is a device that has such insanely good community support, I'm almost completely unafraid to install a program on their phone that will actively modify the factory-installed software. I'm not sure that I've ever worked with any device where I could say that. If she did do something to brick it, WebOS Doctor is going to bring it back to life for her. I'm not even worried about her needing to go to a store to do that, if necessary-- it's not like other devices where modifications void your warranty.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NPR_aficionado View Post
    I really wanted for them to announce a new/different device. I have said it a hundred times here (ok my post count is not really that high), but I do not like the build quality of the pre. My wife has one and I think I am going to break it every time I use it. I love the form factor, but not the build quality. Call me crazy, but I was hoping for a better quality (hardware) phone to be announced at CES.
    Actually, I've read a few reports that the Plus feels a lot more solid. Granted, you'd have to jump, but you might want to stop in a store when it comes out, you might like what you see. Or the articles could have been wrong
    the feature i would miss most is the ability to slide open the keyboard and just start typing. Be it an address, google search or if i want to text someone. Im a very keyboard and shortcut orientated person on my computer, and like my phone being the same way
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    No need to second all the GREAT feedback here. But I want to point out that in no way have I felt slighted by having to use SPRINT as my carrier. From a data network standpoint SPRINT is excellent - no reason to take a back seat to Verizon OR AT&T (comical they continue to spend millions fighting over that!) From a COST perspective - I am SO far ahead with SPRINT. I don't understand why more consumers are not looking at total cost for these phones. I can honestly state that Sprints' customer service is the BEST right now - it has improved greatly from even 12 months ago.

While not a direct WebOS issue - the form factor of the PRE is the best out there... this thing sits in your hand and pocket better than ANY other device out there. It is less clunky than an iPhone and while thicker - it doesn't function ' thicker '. For keyboard users - portrait is SO MUCH better than landscape...

And don't underestimate the TOUCHSTONE - might be worth getting a PRE just for that feature alone!
    Hi!

1. Was this what you were expecting and if not, what were you hoping for?
    Yes, it was very much what I was expecting. I can't say I'm a big gamer but I admit that seeing all those slick 3D games on the iPhone made me a bit envious. Now that we can get the same thing on WebOS I'm tempted to spend $10 on an app just so I can show people what this little guy can do.

2. Do you think the webOS will take off when it appears on Verizon Wireless later this month?
    Unfortunately I don't think Palm will see a huge bump initially. Verizon just dropped a ton of money hyping the Droid and I don't think they're going to repeat that for the Pre/Pixi Plus. What I suspect will happen is the folks that really want an iPhone but don't want to switch to AT&T will pick up the Pre/Pixi as of all the phones on Verizon they're the closest to an iPhone experience. I don't think Verizon will officially position them against the iPhone though.

Some folks would say the multi-tasking but I don't really use my Pre that way, as sad as that may be. What I would miss the most are the gestures. Every time I play with my son's HTC Hero I want to swipe on the screen to do things and get reminded that the Hero doesn't work that way.

1) Multi-touch without an iPhone. The Android devices can do multi-touch and you can even get some apps that support it but the apps from Google, in the U.S. don't have multi-touch perhaps because Google doesn't want to get into a patent fight with Apple. Before I got the Pre I really didn't think multi-touch was all that much. Now, I can't really imagine ever using a mobile browser/app without it.

2) Synergy - It really works and works well. With my Palm Pilot, Palm V, Treo 650, etc, if I had 2 contacts with the same name I'd see two entries with the same name. Synergy simply leaves it as one contact with all the info from the various sources.

3) Hutzpa - Palm has shown they're not afraid to mix it up with the big boys (see the info on Multi-touch) yet they're not brazen and borish like certain personalities from much larger companies (DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS). Right now Palm has the right leadership to gamble when necessary but still keep an even keel and stay with their vision.

[QUOTE=palmsolo;2148671] I sincerely hope they continue with WebOS and compete in the smartphone market where there is room for many players to have products appealing to people across the board.[/QUOTE}

Here here! For whatever reason I seem to continually pick the underdog with Palm and Novell being the two shining examples. While I do hope and pray that Palm can be a major player going forward I don't want them to get so big that they lose their focus on their customers. Again, I think they've got the right people in place to execute their plan for the future and I'm excited to be using a Palm device again!
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I expected Palm would do something like this, as it had to if it wanted to stay competitive. However, I was hoping they would announce something more out of the box. I was really hoping for their announcement of licensing the OS out to other companies, but doing it differently from Microsoft or Google by having final say in the quality department.

Well, I wouldn't say it would take off, but like Android, webOS will fare better marketshare-wise from being on more than one carrier, especially a carrier lusted after by many AT&T users. Though it is getting awfully crowded at Big Red...

I don't have a webOS phone, but my sister has a Pixi. Her favorite things about it are the notifications and cards. She opens cards and throws them away for fun...

I used to prefer hardware keyboards, but I had a device with one (Touch Pro), great keyboard, but after a while, wear & tear gets to it. Space got hard to push, backspace didn't work. I ended up getting used to the soft keyboard, and now that I have an HTC Touch running Android, I'm completely acclimated. I'd be extremely interested in getting a Palm device that was touch screen only. That, or I'd just use the homebrew on screen keyboard

Eye candy. Seriously. Not only is it easy to use, but it looks pretty while using it. No other smart phone OS is as elegant (and I am a staunch Android fan). Apple, eat your heart out here.

Second, is Multitasking. Besides Maemo, nothing multitasks quite as well, straight out of the box.

Third is philosophical, but is about supporting an open web. Sure, webOS is built on Linux, but more importantly it makes Palm invested in Web technologies and standards, but more importantly, open web tech and standards. Like Google, a closed web spells DOOM for Palm, and the more companies reliant on an Open Web means less control by selfish companies (ATT anyone?), and is also beneficial to all those net users around the globe whose access to the net means a better life. Don't let it get locked up!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I expected Palm would do something like this, as it had to if it wanted to stay competitive. However, I was hoping they would announce something more out of the box. I was really hoping for their announcement of licensing the OS out to other companies, but doing it differently from Microsoft or Google by having final say in the quality department.

Well, I wouldn't say it would take off, but like Android, webOS will fare better marketshare-wise from being on more than one carrier, especially a carrier lusted after by many AT&T users. Though it is getting awfully crowded at Big Red...

I don't have a webOS phone, but my sister has a Pixi. Her favorite things about it are the notifications and cards. She opens cards and throws them away for fun...

I used to prefer hardware keyboards, but I had a device with one (Touch Pro), great keyboard, but after a while, wear & tear gets to it. Space got hard to push, backspace didn't work. I ended up getting used to the soft keyboard, and now that I have an HTC Touch running Android, I'm completely acclimated. I'd be extremely interested in getting a Palm device that was touch screen only. That, or I'd just use the homebrew on screen keyboard

Eye candy. Seriously. Not only is it easy to use, but it looks pretty while using it. No other smart phone OS is as elegant (and I am a staunch Android fan). Apple, eat your heart out here.

Second, is Multitasking. Besides Maemo, nothing multitasks quite as well, straight out of the box.

Third is philosophical, but is about supporting an open web. Sure, webOS is built on Linux, but more importantly it makes Palm invested in Web technologies and standards, but more importantly, open web tech and standards. Like Google, a closed web spells DOOM for Palm, and the more companies reliant on an Open Web means less control by selfish companies (ATT anyone?), and is also beneficial to all those net users around the globe whose access to the net means a better life. Don't let it get locked up!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

It was certainly more than I expected. I mean, we all more or less had one idea of what they might be presenting at CES, but then palm introduced all those changes at once! Flash, video recording, new devices, new carriers, 3D gaming, open pdk...

And still palm manages to surprise me with every new update. We were waiting for 1.3.5.1 here in Europe for two weeks and what do we get? 1.3.5.2! Which not only speeds up the device considerably, but introduces bluetooth tethering!!! I guess nobody was expecting this.

I'm not familiar with US carriers. I can say that in Europe, the pre has had a good acceptation. But if they don't bring new devices soon, it might start to decay, though.

Probably, the card view. And gestures. I couldn't really decide. I don't have much experience with nokia/symbian devices. My previous mobile device was a WM pda, and I certainly wouldn't go back to that.

Certainly, new form factor could help to the general acceptation of webOS. I think a bigger screen would satisfy all those media-maniacs out there but a more efficient battery management would be needed, then. This also would help to read certain web pages or documents. The screens on both pre and pixi it is dwarfed by the iphone's or the various androids' ones, which can be way too small for certain people or uses.

Having said that, I also would like to note that the form factor of the pre is closer to a standard mobile phone and not as big as the iphone, which is more a media player with an integrated phone.

i) Real multitasking complemented with cards and gestures.
    ii) Perfect management of your contacts thanks to Synergy.
    iii) An elegant and polished OS which makes everything feel integrated but at the same time is easily accesible. If you're a developer you might also be interested in the sdk or the homebrew community.
    I'd like to see Palm come out with a different form factor. Keep everything the Pre has, but increase the screen size! That would just ROCK! Browsing would become a sweet experience!
    Yeah, Sprint has some amazing price and plan options with free navigation, NFL Mobile, and more all rolled in. I just wish I had a stronger Sprint signal. I always heard that Sprint had poor customer service, but honestly when I had the Pre I was actually quite impressed with the services I received.
    Yea, Sprint has gotten such a bum rap on customer service.. 3 years ago, yes, they had some pretty bad service. But over the last year or 2, I have been VERY happy with their customer service. Sure, you sometimes get a poor rep on the phone, but that is definitely the exception, and what company doesnt have some bad reps?
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    1. Not likely, by the time the exclusive deal with big V doesn't matter, it'd be time for pre 2.
    2. Probably not to hurt sales on big V or weaken relations with big V for now. When you have an exclusive, you can make a big deal about it.
    3. No rumors but I don't see why not other than Palm wanting to get on big V and/or att before going to tmo.
    I agree that the lack of AT&T announcement was probably just to not take away some of the wind from the Verizon announcement. I assume we will hear something within a few months, but not until after the launch on Verizon
    1. its pretty much what I expected, mainly b/c the forum had kinda told us what to expect lol

2. it should take off on Verizon. sprint hasnt done much in terms of showing much support for webos so hopefully this helps

3. multitasking & homebrew

4. i prefer a qwerty keyboard as well, i'm glad they made the pre a slider though to make room for a larger screen

5. I would tell you these 3 things:
    a) multitasking
    b) ease of use
    c) homebrew to help personalize
    1. Totally what I expected from palm and then more. Video recording in the next patch? The speed they are coming out with improvements on the phone at is just amazing. Pre Plus and Pixi Plus were a little unexpected though, I personally expected a third form factor, but I think I actually like what Palm has done with the Plus' instead. "Do you want the Pre or the Pixi? Which Pre would you prefer?" Sounds melodic
    2. dont know nething about sprint and verizon here in Canada-land. We would like to see the pre on all carriers however, and the gsm versions of pre/pixi please. CDMA is also holding back it's sales. On Bell it is the only smartphone on CDMA, since they upgraded their network and smartphone lineup to gsm shortly after the pre's release. epic fail Bell+Palm.
    3. synergy definately. I like the whole damn thing but if i had to pick one feature, lets be honest, its synergy. UI is easy to adjust to something new, I came from winmo and still kinda miss its UI sometimes.
    4. probably not always going to be hardware keybos but I dont predict it happening within the next 2-3 years.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast