1.    #1  
    Normally I consider myself a guy that stays up on current electronic news, and somehow I missed all things Droid.

To me it seems like one day there was no Droid and the next there was a Droid App Store that had something like 10,000 apps? What the heck? What changed?

Is N1 going to be the next Iphone?

Help me understand...
    Quote Originally Posted by GregandTink View Post
    To me it seems like one day there was no Droid and the next there was a Droid App Store that had something like 10,000 apps? What the heck? What changed?
    Well, it hit with a major Verizon marketing campaign, and the 10K apps are because there was already an Android app store, and the Droid runs the Android OS.

Help me understand...
    I doubt it. The initial reviews seem to be saying that it's a great Android phone, but ultimately isn't a game changer. I don't think there will be a "next iPhone" - the iPhone is a cultural phenomenon, and I don't think people are really buying simply on specs of which is the "best phone".
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Normally I consider myself a guy that stays up on current electronic news, and somehow I missed all things Droid.

Help me understand...
    Even though ppl here would know the answer, this is not the place for it.
    Hence the name- Palm Pre Forum
    No more than a better MP3 player will become the next iPod. There may be something that outsells it (eventually) or something altogether different, but the plan will be to grow the market for smartphones and that other companies will take their share, hoping to keep iPhones to just a big majority.

(not to imply N1 is "better" - just illustrating the power of the icon of the iPhone. How good or bad is pretty much irrelevant at this point. It's the bar by which others are measured)
    Droid short for An(droid). If you have not heard of the Google OS -> Android than you are far behind current on electronic news. The OS is free for any phone manufacture to use and of course the phone would have access to the App store. the T-mobile G1 was the first.
    Yeah, the Android OS came out in late 2007, so the 10,000 apps that you mention is over two years worth of Android apps being created.
    and i thought the android marketplace was 20,000?

Too bad they have a crap load of devices with different specs now. WinMo problem anyone?
    You know, the Palm Pre also has ~+10,000 apps if you opt to get the Palm classic emulator and include all the legacy Palm applications in your counting...
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    You know, the Palm Pre also has ~+10,000 apps if you opt to get the Palm classic emulator and include all the legacy Palm applications in your counting...
    That's almost like saying WM has thousands of games because you can run an NES emulator on it? Isn't it?
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 01/11/2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    and i thought the android marketplace was 20,000?

Too bad they have a crap load of devices with different specs now. WinMo problem anyone?
    WM biggest disadvantage was no truly centralized market place (ala iTunes Store, Android Marketplace, etc.) with regards to Apps and Microsoft licensing/business practices with regards to charging end users and/or manufacturers a licensing fee..

It wasn't really the "fragmentation" that everyone keeps bringing up and comparing to Android.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/26/te...26android.html
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 01/11/2010 at 11:38 AM.
    its marketing...verizon's campaign combined with google's phone announcement

while nice, the google version isnt ground breaking. what it has done however is get the name out in a big way.

this is a front that palm is losing on. they need to focus on improving the quality/feel of the pre, smoothness in operation of both pre/pixi, and most importantly, marketing.

also if they want to push webos i think it would be even better if they had a 3rd phone.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all the info, I kind of thought I was just hearing more because of marketing and latest Google phones.

One of the things I like most about my Pre is the design. I love how you can slip it in your front pocket and not even know it's there. I never really wanted a bulky phone but it always seemed like that was what you had to get to get into smartphones. I played with a friends Iphone the other day, and only thing I was impressed with was the bigger screen. It was nice, but still just so big after carrying a Pre.

I really love WebOS too. I enjoy having so much control over the OS and being able (through the great Dev guys here) tweak and patch out my Pre to what I want.

I'm like everyone else here, I want to see Palm do good so we don't become that failed for factor or under supported and left behind OS.

I checked out the Droid app store and it is very confusing to say the least. Heck, at one point I was trying to find games and ended up redirected to a website for PC games!

I guess I'm having Instinct flashbacks.
    I checked out the Droid app store and it is very confusing to say the least. Heck, at one point I was trying to find games and ended up redirected to a website for PC games!
    Is the Droid Market place different from the Marketplace for other handsets (Hero, etc.)?

I found it a bit more organized and easier to search.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Is the Droid Market place different from the Marketplace for other handsets (Hero, etc.)?

I found it a bit more organized and easier to search.
    No they are all the same. No offense to the OP, but he is severely lacking in any knowledge of Android or how to navigate it.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2man07 View Post
    No they are all the same. No offense to the OP, but he is severely lacking in any knowledge of Android or how to navigate it.

YOU NO GOOD FOR NOTHING HACK!!!! JUST JOKING

I couldn't agree with you more. I want to learn more about N1 and why I would want it instead of my Pre, or an Iphone for that matter. My loyalty goes only so far as how well a phone servers me and my needs. If it wasn't for PreCentral and HB, I'm not sure I'd still be on the Pre band wagon.

I just want to the right phone for me, I could care less about who's got the best phone out there or the biggest app store. Heck I was a very happy Samsung a900 users for a long time.

Can you suggest any websites that will help me learn more about the whole Droid family?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    YOU NO GOOD FOR NOTHING HACK!!!! JUST JOKING

I couldn't agree with you more. I want to learn more about N1 and why I would want it instead of my Pre, or an Iphone for that matter. My loyalty goes only so far as how well a phone servers me and my needs. If it wasn't for PreCentral and HB, I'm not sure I'd still be on the Pre band wagon.

I just want to the right phone for me, I could care less about who's got the best phone out there or the biggest app store. Heck I was a very happy Samsung a900 users for a long time.

Can you suggest any websites that will help me learn more about the whole Droid family?
    Lol

Ok, for the Droid family (meaning Verizon's Motorola Droid and HTC Droid Eris) then Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid. For the HTC Droid Eris, xda-developers.com has a great development community but is for the more advanced users. Android community also has a decent forum, at Android Community - Tracking the Android Platform. I prefer Alldroid.org, as it has the best development for the Droid, but DroidForums for the chats.