1.    #1  
    Ok first things first, don't whine abount Sprint loyalty as they are the ones who 'disallow' wifi tethering which undoubtedly has crippled their Palm loyalties and limited the Pre and Pixi functionality.

Lets face it, the last thing Palm needs at this stage in the game is to be held back by Sprint's self inflicted limitations. That said, I don't want too hear a bunch of people badgering this thread about it not being worth switching considering the Pre Plus has already reportedly been logged as having:

• Double the total disk space (16gigs)
    • Longer Battery Life
    • Better Multi-Tasking ability (More Ram)
    • Built in Wifi-Tethering
    • etc.

That being said here's how and why you deserve and can get out of your Sprint contract without paying any fees (and keep your current Pre and sell it to offset your switch)

Sprint is now charging $4.99 to all 'credit limited' customers that DO NOT set their bill up on autopay, in otherwords, if you call in, or pay your bill online manually they are adding a $4.99/mo fee to your account... Additionally they are rasing their regulatory fee surcharge from $0.20 a line to $0.40 a line...

deal breaker

Ok so its not such a big deal, but it is big enough to get you out of your contract with $0.00 fee. Here's how to do it (I already called and got my confirmation number be sure to time this with the Verizon Pre+ Launch on Jan 25th):

1. Call 611
    2. Ask for Account Services
    3. Tell them you were advised as to Sprint's breach of contract in regards to the $4.99 fee. (As padding, though unnecessary, you can explain, if true in your situation, that you don't like automatic account deductions, and would not have signed a contract had you known they would be making these changes.)
    4. You will be advised that FIRST the $4.99 payment has to be on your bill (should have come through, or be coming through on your next bill
    5. HAVE THEM CHECK YOUR ACCOUNT WHILE YOU ARE ON THE PHONE.
    6. If its on there account then great, you are free to cancel, enjoy your new Pre plus!

THESE NEXT STEPS ARE FOR THOSE LIKE MYSELF THAT WANT TO KEEP THEIR PHONE NUMBER.

7. Instead of canceling your account, ask for a confirmation number for this confirmation, informing them you will call back after you switch your number to another carrier.
    8. Write the confirmation number down somewhere safe.
    9. Get your new Palm Plus+ from Verizon
    10. Call back into sprint and cancel.
    11. Sell your old Sprint Pre phone and buy some accessories for your new one

Remember to time this with the Palm Plus+ Launch, it doesn't hurt to call now though and get your confirmation number to speed the process...

Hope this helps you guys, and remember, you've paid them for a number of months of good service at a premium, so this is your right, they broke the contract, if you paid for insurance, and your phone is in ruff shape, trade it up for a refirb first (this advice oughtta get some flames) afterall you paid for the service, it will be easier to sell the fresher phone.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by crossweb; 01/07/2010 at 09:41 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Note: You can only cancel free of charge for about 30days from the time they bill you the $4.99 FEE!!!
    As much as I'd love to have a Pre Plus it's not even close to being worth what Verizon would charge me a month. For my family it works out to about $30 more a month for a comparable plan.
    This isn't news. Sprint raising the two fees has been known for months. Have fun with that bill. For me and my wife it would be $80 more a month on Verizon($190 vs. $110)
  5.    #5  
    Fair point, it's not for everybody, good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by crossweb View Post
    Ok first things first, don't whine abount Sprint loyalty as they are the ones who 'disallow' wifi tethering which undoubtedly has crippled their Palm loyalties and limited the Pre and Pixi functionality.

Lets face it, the last thing Palm needs at this stage in the game is to be held back by Sprint's self inflicted limitations. That said, I don't want too hear a bunch of people badgering this thread about it not being worth switching considering the Pre Plus has already reportedly been logged as having:

• Double the total disk space (16gigs)
    • Longer Battery Life
    • Better Multi-Tasking ability (More Ram)
    • Built in Wifi-Tethering
    • etc.

That being said here's how and why you deserve and can get out of your Sprint contract without paying any fees (and keep your current Pre and sell it to offset your switch)

Sprint is now charging $4.99 to all 'credit limited' customers that DO NOT set their bill up on autopay, in otherwords, if you call in, or pay your bill online manually they are adding a $4.99/mo fee to your account...

Good Luck!
    Welp, what if you're not a "credit limited" customer? I didn't even know Sprint had them. (no wonder they're bleeding customers, a lot of who probably don't make payments and get booted)

Would seem to me though that these customers probably couldn't afford verizon or even be eligible for a verizon account.
    this guy must work for Verizon
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    what if i dont have a spending limit?? am i boned??
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  9. mkl
    I'll be using this. I want an iPhone.
    True. Only a verizon employee would spread so much fud.

and I thought the 512 megs of ram was unverified?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    what if i dont have a spending limit?? am i boned??
    They are also raising their "Regulatory Fee" surcharge from $0.20 a line to $0.40 a line, and this can also be used as grounds for terminating your contract sans ETF. So no, you aren't boned.

There are already several threads about this. Look in the CDMA carrier section of the forums and you'll see a lengthly thread that will give you all the details.
  12.    #12  
    Most Sprint Individual Customers have "Spending Limits", it's the businesses that aren't capped, typically.

They just cap you at $300 or so to ensure that you don't get too far behind on your payments when your traveling abroad. As far as:

"What if I don't have a spending limit", A standard contract change, is a standard contract change, they are also raising regulatory fees (surcharge from $0.20 a line to $0.40 a line) call in, ask for the Account Services dept, and tell them good-bye, I don't think it will make a difference. Most people are on a spending limit and don't even realize it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mkl View Post
    I'll be using this. I want an iPhone.
    Cheers
    There's really no sense in switching just for the plus. While ill agree that its a bit stupid they wont be selling the plus versions on sprint, Verizon charges much much more for all of their services. I would know considering that was the reason I left them. Also, this is just a refresh. I'm almost willing to promise that next years CES will bring with it a completely brand new WebOS device for release in June of 2011 considering that everyone who initially jumped on the pre when it came out (such as myself) contract's will be ending. Leaving everyone who's locked into a 2 year contract on Verizon out of luck.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by backfire103 View Post
    ...Leaving everyone who's locked into a 2 year contract on Verizon out of luck.
    Very good point
    crossweb,
    With all due respect, your post seems to be saying "Screw Sprint because it looks like they are not going to let you tether for free". Where was tethering in your contract? Most of us are aware of the changes Sprint is making and many of us have already called as you suggested, but decided to stay with Sprint. Some people have decided to cancel their contract and port their numbers to other carriers, and most of those who did know to call back Sprint afterward and make sure their account is properly settled as far as ETF fees are concerned. Your post, while encouraging everyone to leave Sprint, but not mentioning the part about making sure their ETF fees are properly settled after the port might inadvertently cause pain to many PreCentral members. If you want to encourage people to leave, please know all the facts and convey instructions/suggestions to others that are as complete as possible. Once again, I mean no disrespect, and I'm not defending Sprint's policy of requiring a call back. I just wanted to make sure anyone following your advice does not get socked with an unexpected/undisputed bill down the road.
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/24/2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: toned down my impoliteness a bit
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    As others have already pointed out, switching to VZW is likely to cost more than $5/month.

Oh, and Tethering on VZW costs a non-trivial amount of money.

Tethering on SPrint where allowed also requires a non-trivial amount of money.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I did cancel earlier this month without ETF. I had to call into retentions and say I wanted to cancel due to the $.40 rate increase. Twice the reps said I needed to wait until I receive my next bill, and I was offered an additional 20% discount. I called in a third time and I wasn't given a problem at all. But, the third rep was asking for the real reason because "obviously $.40 a month isn't the reason". I stuck to my guns and said that's the only reason. I made sure to get the reps name/title/dept/location and my "zeroed out contract" confirmation #. The next day I did the online chat and asked the rep for confirmation of my cancellation without ETF. She did confirm and gave me the same conf. # as retentions. I printed out the chat transcript for my records.

I have a family plan with 3 lines and I pay ~$30 month more on Verizon for similar plan with my company discount (1 line doesn't need data).

I would say the extra $30 is well worth it.
    **Save $348 by Switching to Allstate 877-751-1167 You’re in Good Hands®**