Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a long time Sprint customer who has been unwilling to switch to att for the iphone for various reasons but always thought the iphone was a great device. I was excited when the pre came out and have thought it's a great phone since, and would recommend it to friends over the iphone based on sprint service, pricing, multitasking, etc, but I would also warn them that you can't get the same apps that you can on the iphone, you don't have a video camera, etc. Today, after seeing the new apps available in the catalog/on the precentral website, video camera, etc, I can say that the Pre is a better overall phone IMO and recommend it to friends without caveats (please keep in mind I have not had ANY BUILD QUALITY issues with my pre...i had to get one replaced after I DROPPED mine a FEW times and the power button stopped working...try to get att/apple to replace your phone free of charge for that!). I know there are many who will disagree, but I put forth these reasons:

Why the iphone should be jealous of the pre:
    Better as a phone
    MULTI-TASKING!!!
    Flash video coming soon.
    Keyboard
    Sprint Navigation

What I still want that the iphone has
    Shazam (access to mic)...hopefully coming soon pre
    Better onscreen keyboard...hopefully coming soon to pre
    real world overlay (yelp monocle, etc) -- pre probably can't get this b/c it requires a compass

No I don't care about the 100,000+ apps that the iphone has...as I've already seen in the pre's app catalog from the app spammers, MOST apps are crap. Plus, now that the pre is on verizon, coming to att, developers will really start coming.

So those are my thoughts...I now would take my pre over an iphone EVEN IF the iphone was released on Sprint!

What does everyone else think?
    I used to want an iPhone.

But after today...

Playing Need For Speed, finding out Flash and Video is coming in February, reading that Palm will be paying $1,000,000 to Hot developers and Verizon getting in on WebOS, AT&T soon, I can't imagine going anywhere else.

Android, Blackberry, iPhone, WinMO, and the rest can kiss my money good buy. All I want now is Voice Control, Voice Search (implement voice control with that useless pearl button on our NOW old Pre's) and just keep making it faster!!
    This is a good post for the people that are on the fence about which carrier/phone to go with. Simply put, this is the best gadget I've had, and I have had alot of gadgets...... ....not like that....BUT, just today you feel this way? This has been better than the iphone IMO from when I got it the day it released. Its the Lebron James of smartphones. Lived up to the hype. I'm tipsy.
    Being an ex iphone owner, 45 days after owning it, I hated it.
    I am a first day pre owner and still feel happy and excited about this phone.
    Both the business side and the fun side.
    I love N4S, very cool.

Wishes:
    Video (know its coming)
    Shazam

I want want more camera apps like the iphone... panaramic.. Helga... 70's...
    Our camera is cool, I want to be able to screw with the pictures and sending them.
    I live in a house where Apple products are in abundance. . . Mac Book Pro, and old G4 ( (ipod classics my wife and I), and both my daughters have ipod touch(es). Having said this, my "smartphone" is a Pre.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    This is a good post for the people that are on the fence about which carrier/phone to go with. Simply put, this is the best gadget I've had, and I have had alot of gadgets...... ....not like that....BUT, just today you feel this way? This has been better than the iphone IMO from when I got it the day it released. Its the Lebron James of smartphones. Lived up to the hype. I'm tipsy.
    Let's put it this way...first time I would say WITHOUT HESITATION, I would take the pre over the iphone, even if it was on sprint!
    Last edited by kkumar99; 01/07/2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: edit
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    After my Dodgers lost their last playoff game, I realized I had nothing keeping me on the iPhone. Ten minutes later I was in a Best Buy buying a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    I am a long time Sprint customer who has been unwilling to switch to att for the iphone for various reasons but always thought the iphone was a great device. I was excited when the pre came out and have thought it's a great phone since, and would recommend it to friends over the iphone based on sprint service, pricing, multitasking, etc, but I would also warn them that you can't get the same apps that you can on the iphone, you don't have a video camera, etc. Today, after seeing the new apps available in the catalog/on the precentral website, video camera, etc, I can say that the Pre is a better overall phone IMO and recommend it to friends without caveats (please keep in mind I have not had ANY BUILD QUALITY issues with my pre...i had to get one replaced after I DROPPED mine a FEW times and the power button stopped working...try to get att/apple to replace your phone free of charge for that!). I know there are many who will disagree, but I put forth these reasons:

Why the iphone should be jealous of the pre:
    Better as a phone
    MULTI-TASKING!!!
    Flash video coming soon.
    Keyboard
    Sprint Navigation

What I still want that the iphone has
    Shazam (access to mic)...hopefully coming soon pre
    Better onscreen keyboard...hopefully coming soon to pre
    real world overlay (yelp monocle, etc) -- pre probably can't get this b/c it requires a compass

No I don't care about the 100,000+ apps that the iphone has...as I've already seen in the pre's app catalog from the app spammers, MOST apps are crap. Plus, now that the pre is on verizon, coming to att, developers will really start coming.

So those are my thoughts...I now would take my pre over an iphone EVEN IF the iphone was released on Sprint!

What does everyone else think?
    let me put it to you this way.there is nothing and i mean nothing that compares to a jail broken iphone 3gs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!a jb iphone blows away any modified phone out there.i have had both and continue to push the iphone 3gs for 2010.the palm pre is slower then a turtle getting out of the water!!!!!!!!!!!!there is no future for the pre..........
    Looked at the Droid tonight in the Verizon store as I was checking it out for a friend who wants to stay with Verizon and is choosing between Pre and Droid.

The Droid interface was clunky, I kept on trying to make gestures on the app and it doesn't work that way, you have to push a button on the side to switch from one app to another. Also no way to zoom into a webpage by pinching and zooming.
    Keyboard was larger than the pre and build felt sturder. Still the keys did not push down.

With the iphone while traveling with friends, I noticed my friends could not pass their iphone-snapped pics to me by plugging into my mac, we had to wait until they traveled home and synced with their own macs via itunes and then they mailed the pics to me on a thumbdrive.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitnasty View Post
    let me put it to you this way.there is nothing and i mean nothing that compares to a jail broken iphone 3gs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!a jb iphone blows away any modified phone out there.i have had both and continue to push the iphone 3gs for 2010.the palm pre is slower then a turtle getting out of the water!!!!!!!!!!!!there is no future for the pre..........
    I haven't personally used a jailbroken iphone 3gs, but I'm sure it's fast. I also know there is some level of multitasking with a jailbroken iphone 3gs, and i'm sure it's pretty good. But to say "there is no future for the pre" based on that is ridiculous. The reason the iphone was so successful was not because it could be jailbroken, but because it revolutionized smartphones by creating a simple to use UI that had a ton of capability for the average user. Palm has taken this one step further with multitasking. A jailbroken iphone 3gs hits only a very niche market, where as an easy to use out of the box multitasking pre with 3d games will cover the average person on the street. Plus with apple's draconian policies, many users are afraid to jailbreak the phone because they're worried they'd brick it. Palm on the other hand is embracing the homebrew community. If you really want, you can overclock your pre with patches, and still not worry about "bricking" your pre. Maybe one day the iphone WILL CATCH UP to the Pre with multitasking out of the box, but as of right now I'll take the pre over the iphone.

Oh, and just comparing networks...try sending a text or making a phone call with an iphone at a football game with 80,000 fans. Such events absolutely cripple ATT, making the iphone completely useless. Still haven't faced that problem once with sprint.
    Lol I always knew kitties were awesome, this shows why
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    I haven't personally used a jailbroken iphone 3gs, but I'm sure it's fast. I also know there is some level of multitasking with a jailbroken iphone 3gs, and i'm sure it's pretty good. But to say "there is no future for the pre" based on that is ridiculous. The reason the iphone was so successful was not because it could be jailbroken, but because it revolutionized smartphones by creating a simple to use UI that had a ton of capability for the average user. Palm has taken this one step further with multitasking. A jailbroken iphone 3gs hits only a very niche market, where as an easy to use out of the box multitasking pre with 3d games will cover the average person on the street. Plus with apple's draconian policies, many users are afraid to jailbreak the phone because they're worried they'd brick it. Palm on the other hand is embracing the homebrew community. If you really want, you can overclock your pre with patches, and still not worry about "bricking" your pre. Maybe one day the iphone WILL CATCH UP to the Pre with multitasking out of the box, but as of right now I'll take the pre over the iphone.

Oh, and just comparing networks...try sending a text or making a phone call with an iphone at a football game with 80,000 fans. Such events absolutely cripple ATT, making the iphone completely useless. Still haven't faced that problem once with sprint.
    my hats off to the developers that work on the the tweaks and patches for webos.i owned the pre from the 1st day it came out and a week later the 3gs comes out.i was with sprint for 13 years.i used the pre for 5 months and yes its a friendly user and a good starter phone and now come to think of it ....its a little girly now!Let me tell you this...i was at the dolphins game last week ago in miami and had no problem sending and receiving text messages from my awsome jb iphone from the lock screen.....lol. someday you will see what im talking about.now,without the tweaks and patches you do to the pre..........the phone would have been a zero which is now anyways!.palm has no future and sprint is being bought out in 2011.do yourselves a favor and try out a jb iphone 3gs.its a lifestyle that you have been missing.(pretty awsome to watch movies that are in the movie theater and not have to wait)and not have topay for music or apps!!!!!im only on this board still to help some coworkers that i work with that are female i might add!!!!!!that need their tweaks and preware updated and to rip on all you pre users and tell you that the iphone is the best!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Ya, my friend has a jailbroke iPhone. The big thing he showed me is he can now change his wallpaper. No, I'm serious. He had to jailbreak to change his wallpaper. Can you believe that? Just think how much customization we can do with our phones right out of the box, then with all the patches. Palm need to officially sanction patch use, then market the hel_l_ out of it. "Theres a patch for that"

Oh, I forgot to mention my friend tried updating his OS, bricked his phone and had to buy a new one! $700 for a used one on ebay. HAHAHAHAHa. You wont see that happening on a Pre.

Check, mate. game goes to Palm.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    A jailbroken iPhone is the only way to go if you're gonna get an iPhone - the out of the box experience just isn't that great now with all the new OS's available.

That been said, I no longer have a Jesus Phone because despite my Pre being "not as snappy" as an iPhone, my Palm Pre is easier to use in just about every way, has a physical keyboard (personal preference there), is cheaper to operate over the life of the contract, has the necessary apps for me (albeit clearly not for everyone) and doesn't come with iron fist of its manufacturer hell bent on forcing me to do things only one way.
    A JB iPhone is what all these developers are trying to keep up with.not to change wallpapers......duh.if you are going to continue to stay with palm you will be looking at the taillights of the iPhone......and I'm not even talking about what apple has to offer.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    A JB iPhone is what all these developers are trying to keep up with.not to change wallpapers......duh.if you are going to continue to stay with palm you will be looking at the taillights of the iPhone......and I'm not even talking about what apple has to offer.
    So, you dont know how to change ur wallpaper? Sorry man, maybe u should look it up on the internet. If you had a pre, you could just start typing. but you have to open your browser, then use search.

Good luck on finding your info.

does taillights refer to leader in multitasking? Dont act like iphoneys dont want it, cus you do. And it does more than stream pandora. Use it for a week, and you will never be able to live without it. Trust.
    What about flash 10.1 integration?
    What about universal search?

The ONLY thing the iphone has is apps. I can get by without spending my money on apps, so my better "phone" and OS will just have to suffice.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    So, you dont know how to change ur wallpaper? Sorry man, maybe u should look it up on the internet. If you had a pre, you could just start typing. but you have to open your browser, then use search.

Good luck on finding your info.

does taillights refer to leader in multitasking? Dont act like iphoneys dont want it, cus you do. And it does more than stream pandora. Use it for a week, and you will never be able to live without it. Trust.
    What about flash 10.1 integration?
    What about universal search?

The ONLY thing the iphone has is apps. I can get by without spending my money on apps, so my better "phone" and OS will just have to suffice.
    Sorry you don't understand the term JAILBROKEN!multitasking the JB iPhone is the best!your so clueless it's not even funny.stick with your female phone and put a bra on!
    Yet another reason not to own an iphone. You have to jailbreak it to get functionality. You get this with the pre out of the box. Palm embraces its development community. Apple shuns them. I cannot support a company like that. Especially one that has taken its core from the open source community. Sickening. The form factor is big, fugly, and inelegant too. And what happens when apple finally does find an effective way to shut out the jailbreak community? That's what they want. Control. Make no mistake. Of course, in doing so, they also make the phone a PITA to use for everyone else in the process (not that it isn't already, compared to WebOS).

I don't, nor will I ever, own any of apple's crippled, overcontrolled, inflexible, unusable, junk.
    Sorry you don't understand the term JAILBROKEN!multitasking the JB iPhone is the best!your so clueless it's not even funny.stick with your female phone and put a bra on!
    So, just for the ignorant here, how do you define as "best"?

I'm curious.

Does the UI drastically change on the iPhone/iPod Touch when you Jail Break it? Because using an iPod Touch after using a Pre, makes be want to break the glass screen on it so I can put myself out of my misery.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast