1.    #1  
    My beloved Pre came out of my purse the other day with a cracked screen coming from the middle of the gesture area. It looks as though bumping against something put pressure on the gesture button and cracked it.

Now...no touchy screeny worky. I have a dilemma. I LOVE webOS. I do not love all the physical problems Ive had with the pre since I got it when it first came out. (still on my original) Bad oreo, random freezing/shutting off, slider sticking.

With Sprint Replacement plan.... $100 will get me a refurb or fixed Pre.

Or I have a $150 Sprint upgrade to use toward any other phone.

I feel disloyal even thinking of switching to a diff OS (been through so much with patching/tweaking)...but i want to review all my choices and make the best decision. I worry that even getting a refurb Pre, Ill still have the same issues as I did before. I am considering blackberries for their reliability....wondering how their media and messaging compare. Droids are foreign to me... all advice would be super appreciated.

I dont do alot of business'y stuff. Im a motion graphics art student who uses messaging/pandora/nav system & gps/camera and fb uploading pics/ web browsing alot.

If i leave palm, the things Id miss most are the universal search, awesome camera w flash, multitasking and gestures. Think a blackberry (or other phone) could still meet my needs?

Thankssss a millionn to anyone taking the time to help me out! <3
    I would get a replacement to see if it was just a bad unit you got. If you still have any further problems with the Pre then I would look to switch to a different phone. Since it seems that one of your biggest needs is multitasking, I can tell you, you will never be able to replicate the multitasking experience of the webos with any other smartphone.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I'm in a similar position as you. I actually just recieved my replacement from Asurion (sprints insurance). The refurb phone is in pretty bad shape. The slider feels very loose and it often has a tough time shutting all the way.

I am really considering jumping ship to the iPhone. I compared the plans, and it will only cost me $3 more per month. I LOVE webOS, but I am starting to feel a little bitter towards my Pre.

-I lost all my contacts
    -I will miss gestures, multitaking, universal--just like u said. I really like these functions and have come to almost expect them.
    -I can get out of my contract in January
    -there are sooo many apps to choose from. every day I see another one I would like to use, but they're not available for webOS.

I CANT DECIDE!!!

I'm gonna try to go month-to-month and then decide later.
    If I were you, I'd check out a Pixi! I'm a mass comm major who uses much the same stuff that you do, and I love my little phone. If you're big into messaging, you would love the Pixi keyboard. The phone has a solid build with no moving parts too, so I've had no trouble with hardware.

The only drawbacks are the smaller screen - you will definitely notice it coming from a Pre. It's perfectly adequate for me though - and it's definitely better than a blackberry because of the multitouch capabilities with WebOS. Also, the camera is a pretty significant downgrade, with just 2 mp - though it does still have the LED flash. It really takes fine pictures in decent lighting. Again, I can't imagine the Blackberry camera being much better.

I would go in to a store and just play with one...give it a shot and see what you think! Leaving WebOS for the Blackberry RIM software - especially if you don't need the email capabilities a bb provides - would be sad :-(

Good luck!
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    would a Pixi work for you? They seem to be built tougher simply by virtue of no moving parts.

I have gotten one for my wife, and she is very rough on phones, and it's held up at least two weeks! She previously had a 700p and that thing just would not break, no matter what.

Her purse usually has some kinda pocket on the inside she puts it in, but I've also seen it loose in there bouncing around with keys.

Maybe get one of those wool sweaters for it when it's in your purse. I'm surprised it didn't ship with anything like the Pre did.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technicolor_girl View Post
    My beloved Pre came out of my purse the other day with a cracked screen coming from the middle of the gesture area. It looks as though bumping against something put pressure on the gesture button and cracked it.

Now...no touchy screeny worky. I have a dilemma. I LOVE webOS. I do not love all the physical problems Ive had with the pre since I got it when it first came out. (still on my original) Bad oreo, random freezing/shutting off, slider sticking.

With Sprint Replacement plan.... $100 will get me a refurb or fixed Pre.

Or I have a $150 Sprint upgrade to use toward any other phone.

I feel disloyal even thinking of switching to a diff OS (been through so much with patching/tweaking)...but i want to review all my choices and make the best decision. I worry that even getting a refurb Pre, Ill still have the same issues as I did before. I am considering blackberries for their reliability....wondering how their media and messaging compare. Droids are foreign to me... all advice would be super appreciated.

I dont do alot of business'y stuff. Im a motion graphics art student who uses messaging/pandora/nav system & gps/camera and fb uploading pics/ web browsing alot.

If i leave palm, the things Id miss most are the universal search, awesome camera w flash, multitasking and gestures. Think a blackberry (or other phone) could still meet my needs?

Thankssss a millionn to anyone taking the time to help me out! <3
    Just so you know the crack down the middle is a known defect. you are able to get a free replacement. The tech will tell you it is physical abuse but call him out and say I did research and it states this is a legitimate defect. I had this same issue and got my pre replaced free of charge.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the advice! Im checking out the Pixi, the Blackberry Curve 8530, and the HTC hero.

Pixi- I like the webOs above all. Im not crazy about no wifi, or the smaller screen. would cost me 200 out of pocket with a 100 mail in rebate. pro: Ill have all my contacts easy.

Blackberry Curve- I like the optical trackpad over other BB rollerballs. now has wifi and 2mp camera (no flash) and camcorder (missed that with the pre) and good messaging. How is the OS? would cost 150 with a 100 rebate.

HTC hero- Is similar to webos with its linked contacts and social network integration. has a 5mp camera/video recorder. visual voicemail is awesome.. missed that since i gave up my crappy instinct. would cost me 279 with 100 rebate.. is it worth the extra money?

ahhhhh cant decide.

*Thanks pregame* Now ill look into that first!!!
    My broham did the same thing as Pregame and got a Pre for free (and rightly so). Get in touch with Sprint and tell them about it, or go into a Sprint store if you can. It's a heat-related issue where it gets too hot under the screen and ends up cracking from the button, up. You should certainly get it replaced...play hardball if you have to!

http://www.precentral.net/psb-pre-screen-cracks-emerge

In the event that you still are looking for a different phone, I highly recommend NOT getting a Hero. Especially if you are a heavy texter. Here is the permalink to the post I registered to Casey from the Android blog about my thoughts on the Hero. I had it for 29 days before I returned it for my Pixi. I did not hate the phone...in fact there are several things I enjoyed. But those things were not enough with the huge issues I was having.

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...ml#post2129496

Here's the nutshell:
    1. Laggy...from moving from screen to screen, to attempting to use the virtual keyboard in landscape mode (maddening!), the thing lags constantly. It drove me nuts. Maybe you would have a different experience with a software update or something, but I don't know.
    2. Though there is "true multi-tasking" but it is so not the same. I guarantee you will sorely miss WebOS.
    3. Widgets were great and all, but they never really updated right, and in the end, I clicked on them to get to the full app anyways.
    4. The camera had no flash...so weird. 5mp was okay, but it's not like I was going to blow the darn things up to 11x14 or something...flash please!
    5. SO cluttered. There is no really easy way to access stuff like settings and whatnot without making it a widget or an icon on one of your millions of screens. In the end, no matter how much I'd try to simplify my screens, I ended up with vast amounts of clutter anyways.
    6. The apps were great, so fun to play with, but really, the calendar app, messaging app, and phone apps pale in comparison to the ones in WebOS. In the end, those are the things that REALLY need to work on a, you know, cell phone.

I don't miss my Hero. The only thing I do miss is the bigass screen, which made browsing a little nicer, the trackball, and a few of the apps that I didn't really need anyways.

Sounds like a video recorder is coming for WebOS sometime soon. Maybe it will be announced at CES today? I don't even notice the lack of WiFi on my phone...never used it once on the Hero...but perhaps you have used it and gotten used to it, in which case, I don't blame you. With a 3g network, it shouldn't be a huge deal. Still though...silly that they left it out!
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    My Pre has never been dropped or harmed in any way shape or form, yet the slight screen blotches I had at the start of owner ship of my 2nd Pre have gotten worse and just get extremely annoying when you use the phone for a while...

I am sure I can get it replaced under warranty, but I want to jump ship to the Hero. Not sure if they will let me, but I am hoping they do. Worst case I will just get a new Pre but I really rather get a Hero, I'm sick of the terrible build quality of the Pre and maybe I'll come back to Palm if the Pre 2 is any good.

Just sad how my Centro seems like it is built 100x better than the Pre when it was a cheaper device... I don't know what Palm screwed up making the Pre but it really saddens me they did so because I will be very wary of owning another Palm device after owning solid Treos and centros.
    You may want to try the suggestion listed here:

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...ation-fee.html
    Quote Originally Posted by crossweb View Post
    You may want to try the suggestion listed here:

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...ation-fee.html
    Yeah, if she wants to pay 40.00 more a month plus the 10.00 more for vznav.

Really why do people keep posting that link? Big red is crap and way overpriced!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

TOTALLY agree with you about vzw..I'm good friends with the manager of the corporate store where I live, and he can't even get me as good a deal as I have with Sprint (with no employee perks). I guess I will have to continue to exist without the word Plus after the name of my phone...
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    Pre Plus is double the Ram, double the storage, built in (non hacked breaking down) tethering, included touchstone back, and more. Much more than just a name, its the new Pre...

So if a few more dollars a month is holding you back fine, but for some people the price isn't as much an issue, especially if its a write off.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technicolor_girl View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Im checking out the Pixi, the Blackberry Curve 8530, and the HTC hero.

Pixi- I like the webOs above all. Im not crazy about no wifi, or the smaller screen. would cost me 200 out of pocket with a 100 mail in rebate. pro: Ill have all my contacts easy.

Blackberry Curve- I like the optical trackpad over other BB rollerballs. now has wifi and 2mp camera (no flash) and camcorder (missed that with the pre) and good messaging. How is the OS? would cost 150 with a 100 rebate.

HTC hero- Is similar to webos with its linked contacts and social network integration. has a 5mp camera/video recorder. visual voicemail is awesome.. missed that since i gave up my crappy instinct. would cost me 279 with 100 rebate.. is it worth the extra money?

ahhhhh cant decide.

*Thanks pregame* Now ill look into that first!!!
    Don't use your upgrade unless you absolutely, positively, have to! We may be getting the second-generation Pre this summer (keep your fingers crossed) and based on the build-quality of the Pre+, I'm sure that the new Pre will be solid. And I'm also sure you've heard of WebOS 1.4 coming out next month.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by crossweb View Post
    Pre Plus is double the Ram, double the storage, built in (non hacked breaking down) tethering, included touchstone back, and more. Much more than just a name, its the new Pre...

So if a few more dollars a month is holding you back fine, but for some people the price isn't as much an issue, especially if its a write off.

Cheers

50.00$ per month equates to 600.00$ per year.

Thats ridiculous even if your rich! We may not have the added ram but they are not getting the gpu access YET!

As far as write off (joke), Do you even understand write off?

Example:
    You take a write off of say 100% which means you take 100% of the cost out of your gross income then you pay taxes on the difference(net). which means you are only saving 35% (on the high side) of the total Write off!

The biggest write off in the world is not as good as money in my pocket!

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

16.    #16  
    update: soooo sprint offered to replace it for free because the crack was a known issue. yay! Ill stick with the pre for a bit...still thinking of jumping ship to blackberry. i like the new curve and even though leaving palm would be a big downgrade of features... id love a battery that could make it through the day and a phone that is solid. Thanks for all the help guys
    2sslow congrats on 1,000 post thanks for all your help....
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    2sslow congrats on 1,000 post thanks for all your help....
    Wow thanks I didnt even realize I had hit 1k!

Follow the link below.