Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Hello all,

I lately have just been unhappy with my Pre. I like webOS and its features, but the screen blotches along with the building quality and overall cheap feel of the Pre bother me so much I took the battery out and put it back in the box and went back to my Centro.

I'm going to take it to the Sprint store to see if I can get it replaced under warranty for the screen blotches because they get extremely annoying when the phone is used for any more than like 5 minutes.

That said, I was thinking about getting the HTC Hero, while I'll miss the multi-tasking this will be my 3rd Pre (if they do replace it which I hope they do) and I just can't stand the build quality.. everything else I love about the phone but I can't use it without feeling like it is about to break or I have to be extra careful.

If I can get it replaced by Sprint for a new one does anyone know if I would be able to get any kind of money for the Pre on ebay? If I could just sell it for the cost of a Hero I'd be happy... If the new phone I receive doesn't have issues like the previous 2 I've had I might change my mind but does anyone have any advice on what to do if I do want to get rid of the replacement for a Hero?

Thanks
    dont do it hero is the slowest phone ive ever owned and dust gets under the screen so you have to go to sprint to get it cleaned every week
    The Hero multitasks...just not as nicely as webOS.

Sprint should replace the device. If you return the device enough, they will offer another device to keep you with them (happy).

I am sure the Pre would get you some $, but I doubt that it would be anything over $250 this late in the game (with the Pre being launched on more carriers now and maybe new devices coming for Sprint).
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    dont do it hero is the slowest phone ive ever owned and dust gets under the screen so you have to go to sprint to get it cleaned every week
    The youtube videos I've seen on it, it doesn't look much slower than the Pre. Also I have read the build quality on it is top notch... do you prefer the Pre over it?

I mean you know it is a sad day when I rather use my Centro than my Pre. I've had it for like 6 months and have just been afraid to really use it, screen blotches.. worried about dropping it because it feels so damn cheap and extremely annoying when it gets hot during use.

My Centro on the other hand feels 100x better than the Pre in terms of build quality and it was a cheaper phone! I don't know *** happened to Palm in the build department but they really screwed something up.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    The Hero multitasks...just not as nicely as webOS.

Sprint should replace the device. If you return the device enough, they will offer another device to keep you with them (happy).

I am sure the Pre would get you some $, but I doubt that it would be anything over $250 this late in the game (with the Pre being launched on more carriers now and maybe new devices coming for Sprint).
    I just want to replace the Pre for the Hero.. I realize the Hero isn't as powerful as the Pre but from what I've seen it will do what I want it to better than the Pre and I have read the build quality is top notch.

Do you think if I complained about this being my 3rd Pre they would let me switch my Pre for a Hero? I mean worst case scenario I'd just take a replacement Pre since I'm under warranty but still I don't think the build quality will be much improved considering I've owned 2 with problems.
    well the heros build is incredible but theres a gap underneath the screen barely noticeable but it lets dust in and as for speed its snappy for a day or two then the fun starts (sarcasm) the memory fills up quickly and it needs to be restarted every other day and did i mention it cant close apps until you download an app to close them otherwise it just leaves them running in background
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    xobx have you also used the Pre? For an extended period? If so do you still prefer the Pre over the Hero?
    i have both i prefer the pre for email but i have to use the hero most of the time because i cant have a phone i cant rely on but i use the pre on wifi as a pda-type device
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    i have both i prefer the pre for email but i have to use the hero most of the time because i cant have a phone i cant rely on but i use the pre on wifi as a pda-type device
    That said I'm just going to try to get the Hero.

If I can't get Sprint to replace my Pre for it I'll just sell it on ebay for hopefully around 200-250 and use my upgrade eligibility to get the Hero.

Pre is cool but I can't deal with the build quality of it, just drives me crazy.

BTW Thanks for all you guys input, I really appreciate it.
    Just adding my feedback (from another thread), since this seems like an appropriate place.

I have used both the Hero and the Pre over the past 2-3 months and we currently have 3 Pre's (Mine, Wife and Daughter) and 2 Hero's (Mine and Son's) in our family.

I will list some primary items I feel are important.
    I am adding stars to each phone to more accurately rate each category. 1-5 rating

Build Quality - Pre (2) / Hero (4)
    The Hero wins this easily. The Pre is poorly made and the Hero feels much more solid in your hand and is more durable. You do not see people going through 3-4 Hero's from just normal wear and tear. Even if you have not had much issue with your Pre, you can easily see that Hero is just made to a higher quality.

Battery - Pre (1.5) / Hero (3)
    With a stock battery, the hero wins this easily. Neither is great on battery life but the Pre is noticeably less (2-4 hours easy, usually 4-6 hours). This may not sound like allot but it makes a world of difference and the Hero can usually make it through the day on a full charge (unless I use it heavily). With the Pre it is almost always dead (with stock battery and no daytime charging) by 7-8pm. So I have to ensure that it is charged at some point during the day or ensure I always have a means to charge it. My solution is to turn my Pre into a hockey puck and use the Seidio extended battery. My wife still uses the stock battery (3 of them). It's not that the Hero has great battery life, it is that the Pre's is that bad. The Pre is the worse battery life I have ever experienced in a smartphone.

Screen - Pre (3) / Hero (3.5)
    The Hero is slightly larger and it is glass. Advantage Hero but both work well. I do not care that the Pre supports more color depth. You will rarely (if ever) realize this.

EDVO - Pre (2) / Hero (4)
    Hero wins this easily and this may be my most eye-opening discovery (for me). After using both in multiple locations (different states/cities) side-by-side, the Hero connects to data services much better and most importantly holds the connection. The Pre cycles in/out of EDVO constantly at times and will timeout applications regularly. Three times in the past week I was attempting to use Sprint Nav on the Pre and it was continuously unable to retrieve the route. I then grabbed the Hero and it connected immediately and the Sprint Nav worked flawlessly. I continued to test this and it was not isolated to Sprint Nav. It behaved in the same manner for the NFL app, SprintTV, Superfan, Youtube, etc... Hero worked flawlessly while the Pre constantly cycled in/out of EDVO and made apps useless. Again, this was in multiple locations (including different cities/states). So it had nothing to do with the location. I also tested this with my wife's Pre (in addition to mine) and experienced the same thing. So it is not isolated to my specific Pre.
    Edit to add some locations: Syracuse NY, Boston MA, Minneapolis MN, Richmond VA, Charlottesville VA, Virginia Beach VA, Washington DC, Baltimore MD. All experienced similar results at times.

Applications - Pre (1.5) / Hero (4)
    Everyone is aware that this is not even close. Android is much more mature. To make matters worse, many apps that cost $1-$20 on webOS are free on Android and with a much wider selection/variety. Yes allot of them are useless but there are far more useful apps on the android marketplace as well. Right now the app markets would rate as iPhone > Android > Blackberry > Palm. It is the youngest OS however so perhaps Palm can close the gap. I'm just not sure how long this will take at their current pace. If their current pace holds, it will likely be 8-16 months. That is a whole generation of smartphones. Considering Homebrew would bring the rating up to a 2.5.

Flash - Pre (0) / Hero (3)
    Hero already supports flash lite and the Pre does not. I did not realize how much I miss this until I was able to browse regularly with it available.

UI - Pre (4) / Hero (4)
    I am going to call this a draw. Both are very unique and have strengths and weaknesses. I really like the Hero's 7 homescreens/widgets. This can place 90% of what I need/use regularly readily available. webOS is very nice in it's navigation and gestures. I am tempted to lean towards the Hero/Android since the UI is much more responsive on the Android in general. Others have stated that Android begins to lag after a few days use. I have not experienced this after almost 3 weeks. On occasion it lags a second but my Pre lags consistently. I have far more double touch/delay issues on my Pre than I have on the Hero. Far more...

Call Quality - Pre (4) / Hero (4)
    Both are comparable. I did not notice any huge difference in call quality between the two. This was for phone, Bluetooth and headphone use. I have had no issues with compatibility of BT devices (Plantronics, Motorola and Jabra) with either phone.

Tethering - Pre (2) / Hero (2)
    Neither is formally supported. The Hero has tethering out of the box. You have to follow a certain sequence for the driver setup and initialization but it is easy and worked flawlessly for me. Some think this may depend on your plan. I have a family shared everything data/messaging. The Pre has tether with a homebrew app. This worked flawlessly up until 1.3.1 and is now somewhat of a mess. The developer has it working again (sort of). But you must patch your Pre each time you want to use it and it disables numerous features on the Pre while patched (Camera, Sprint Nav, etc.). I will give a slight advantage to the Hero, since it's solution is free and pretty straight forward, while the Pre's is currently in limited. Android also has pdanet which is a 3rd party app for tethering.

Storage - Pre (2) / Hero (4)
    The Hero has a media card expansion slot. The Pre has only built in storage. Advantage Hero.

Browsing - Pre (4.5) / Hero (3.5)
    The Pre has the clear advantage. The Pre is just better at browsing and does load pages slightly faster. Navigating them on the Pre is more fluid. The Pre is the only phone that comes close to the iPhone (that I have tried). The Hero is certainly acceptable and is probably right behind the Pre. The Hero is better than nearly every other mobile phone I have used. A couple of the other browsers do seem to slightly improve the Hero but it is still not as elegant as the Pre (or iPhone). However, please understand that this advantage is somewhat mitigated by the lack of flash (which is supposed to be coming to webOS).

Keyboard - Pre (4) / Hero (3.5)
    I give the slight advantage to the Pre with it's physical keyboard. I prefer physical keyboards. However, the landscape virtual keyboard on the Hero is well done and much more responsive than I thought. Also, the predictive text / auto correct works pretty well. I was really expecting this to be a landslide for the Pre but the Hero's virtual keyboard is well done.

Notifications - Pre (4) / Hero (3.5)
    The Pre has the slight advantage here. I like the way the Pre implements notifications and you can simply swipe them away. The Hero has notifications and it appears to be more robust but the Pre is definitely more elegant.

Camera - Pre (3) / Hero (3.5)
    The Hero has the slight advantage here. It takes better pictures (overall) and the autofocus is extremely useful. The Pre does have a LED flash but it is of limited use (only really useful at 2-4 feet and can have varying results).
    well the heros build is incredible but theres a gap underneath the screen barely noticeable but it lets dust in and as for speed its snappy for a day or two then the fun starts (sarcasm) the memory fills up quickly and it needs to be restarted every other day and did i mention it cant close apps until you download an app to close them otherwise it just leaves them running in background
    For clarity... it does not "just leave them running". Android has memory management that will place apps in a "standby" state while in the background and not actively being used. Some Apps do not adhere to this by design (music Apps, etc.) or by error.

I think the lag that some experience is due to memory leaks from Apps or Apps not shutting down or going into a standby state properly. I never experienced this with my Hero but my son has had occasional lag issues from Apps and it seems to be only after he loads up a ton of games/soundboards from the market. I wiped it for him once after he installed a bunch of apps one day and it started lagging badly. He has not had any issues since so it was definitely related to a specific app.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    For clarity... it does not "just leave them running". Android has memory management that will place apps in a "standby" state while in the background and not actively being used. Some Apps do not adhere to this by design (music Apps, etc.) or by error.

I think the lag that some experience is due to memory leaks from Apps or Apps not shutting down or going into a standby state properly. I never experienced this with my Hero but my son has had occasional lag issues from Apps and it seems to be only after he loads up a ton of games/soundboards from the market. I wiped it for him once after he installed a bunch of apps one day and it started lagging badly. He has not had any issues since so it was definitely related to a specific app.
    Well I want to try to replace my Pre with a Hero, I just haven't been that happy with the Pre. The Hero will do all I wanted the Pre to do for me, not it is just a matter of whether or not I will just get another replacement Pre or if they will actually let me get the Hero since I've been unhappy with 2 Pre's I've had so far. BTW it seems like the Hero kicks the Pre's **** in pretty much everything but 2-3 categories... Now I really hope they will give me a Hero rather than a 3rd Pre that might also have issues.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    After reading on the main site all the updates coming for the Pre I am not stuck in a hard spot... I think the replacement Pre they give me, IF it is has no defects I will just keep it. If, however, it has any kind of issue like my previous one/current one I will have to go with the Hero.

Glad to see Palm is adding all these updates, hopefully if the new device I get is defect free they will retain a Pre owner!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Take a look at the Hero....if you like it then get it - what suits your needs is what is best for you. I have to agree the build quality on the Pre is not up to par but for me that fact doesn't justify giving up the best multitasking experience available-nevermind what in the pipeline for 1.4 (basically everything platform wise that is needed). BTW, I should point out the Hero does multitasking its just not implemented very well (think a menu with running programs listed).

All that been said, until a phone comes out with a screen that displays 16 million colors like the Pre I'm not looking anywhere else. The screen may be plastic but it is still by leaps and bounds better at displaying images than anything I've seen (I am open to new options I haven't seen yet, for the fan baters out there .

You should be able to find a willing buyer on eBay but I don't think you'll get maybe $50 for the phone. Any smart buyer will realize that Sprint will have to lower the price on the Pre given the announcement of the Pre+ for Verizon. Those that don't care for Verizon and/or Sprint customers (myself included) in need of a newish Pre probably won't be willing to pay a lot since they could just wait for a sale, which I'm guessing will be coming shortly.

In all seriousness though, good luck, hope you find the right solution.