1.    #1  
    Ok, is SD just Palm's version of Sony's MD except that SD provides
    springboard like expansion?

I haven't located a site/review that descirbes the difference...
    If someone has a link, that would be kewl

thanks,
    henry
    MS and SD are very similar in that they are both non-volatile memory storage. They obviously have different form factors as well.

SD I think was made by Panasonic and protects your data supposedly from others using it. Sony's version of SD would be the MagicGate MS's ( as i learned just recently)

MS and SD can both be made into expansion, hence sony's bluetooth MS and palms bluetooth SD.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Originally posted by hmp32
    Ok, is SD just Palm's version of Sony's MD except that SD provides
    springboard like expansion?

I haven't located a site/review that descirbes the difference...
    If someone has a link, that would be kewl

thanks,
    henry
    Ok, here's a little history:

CompactFlash was created by a consortium of companies led by SanDisk to offer a smaller form factor version of PCMCIA for use in handheld devices like cameras and PDAs.

SmartMedia was created by a consortium led by Toshiba to offer a smaller low-power alternative to CompactFlash.

MemoryStick was created by Sony to compete with SmartMedia and, to a lesser extent, CompactFlash. MS was designed to offer both memory and I/O capabilities like CF (SmartMedia is memory only). There's a lot of debate about Sony's motives for creating yet another memory card format, some say the goal was to entice customers who have one Sony MS product to buy others so they can share data via MS. Others believe that Sony wanted a smaller form factor than CompactFlash but didn't want to give up I/O capabilities so they couldn't adopt SmartMedia. I'm guessing the motivation was a combination of those two goals.

MMC was created by a consortium led by SanDisk to compete with SmartMedia and MemoryStick in device markets where CompactFlash isn't practical. Panasonic was one of the big players in the consortium and this saved them from having to license MS from Sony or SmartMedia from Toshiba.

With all the commotion over copy protecting digital music (MP3), Sony created the MagiGate MemoryStick and the MMC consortium created SD (SecureDigital). Both formats are backwords compatible with their predacessors but also offer copy protection "features" that allow data to be put on the card in such a way that it can be read by devices such as MP3 players but if the data is copied to another card it will not be readable. MG MemoryStick and SD cards do not provide any protection for data put on the card by conventional means (such as via a USB reader or a PDA).

Last but not least, the SD/MMC consortium has now defined a standard for SD cards that provide I/O instead of memory. This brings them in line with the capabilities of MemoryStick and allows for things like Bluetooth SD cards.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
  4.    #4  
    dkessler,

Thank you! That was just the kind of information I was looking
    for.

-henry