1.    #1  
    :menu:

How will they acomplish this hat trick ?
    RIG | HEAT | MAIL
    <br><div align="center"><EMBED src="http://xzaver.tripod.com/Xzaver/X.swf" WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=30></div><BR></BR>
    ClieSource.com You guide to everything Clié
    Originally posted by Xzaver

It should be source compatible.

What that means is the applications will need to be recompiled
    and the databases should work fine. However, it may be
    possible with to have a 68K based VM for the ARM based
    stuff.

But, from what I can make of the following document:

http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/DBBROCHURE.pdf

They have a 68K based core and an ARM based core
    aimed for different embeded applications.

-henry
    Everything that I have read at this point says that OS 5 will be backwards compatible. Of course, this excludes HACKS.

Here is an early InfoWorld article discussing OS5.

And here is a PalmInfoCenter as well.

Both articles discuss OS 5 running current applications, but neither go into detail of how it will do so.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by Xzaver
    One word: APIs. Based on everything I've read, it'll run just about any app written to the PalmOS 4.x APIs (PalmSource estimates that ~80% of existing applications should run fine). They're taking care of any necessary emulation/compatibility layers within OS5 evidently.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Acutally, the information I've seen indicates that OS 5 will continue to run Dragonball binaries via a 68000 CPU emulator in the OS. It doesn't look like the OS 5 SDK will even include tools to build native ARM binaries.

The OS functions themselves are implemented in native ARM binary code so when an app makes an OS call the OS function will run at full native ARM speed without any emulation. But application code itself won't see the benefits of the ARM CPU until the next OS release after 5.0. (well, there is supposed to be a way to embed ARM assembly language code in OS 5 apps but don't expect many developers to take advantage of it).

The good new is that well behaved OS 3/4 apps (applications that don't use Hacks or directly access OS internals) will run on OS 5 without even a recompile. The bad news is that we're still about a year away from seeing real benefits from the switch to ARM.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
  6.    #6  

As i didn't understand much , thanks for the replies anyways.
    RIG | HEAT | MAIL
    <br><div align="center"><EMBED src="http://xzaver.tripod.com/Xzaver/X.swf" WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=30></div><BR></BR>
    ClieSource.com You guide to everything Clié