Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I bought it back in August and I was extremely happy with it until November. Ever since I've been using all sorts of patches to better meet my needs using themes and the like.
    It's the end of 2009 and we don't have video recording, voice memo, a virtual keyboard (from Palm) and other features most phones offer.
    We keep getting updates, which is neat from Palm to give us treats once a month, but that's all they are...little treats. I haven't updated to 1.3.5 as I see it unnecessary. I'm used to all the patches I've installed, upgrading right now would mean to wait a few more days or weeks before all patches work again just so I can get more app space? Please...

With the release of Nexus One next week I feel like it will be a massive uphill battle for Palm to attract new customers to their beloved Pre.
    With a 3.2 camera, no video or voice recording, an 8GB space limit, lack of apps and overall lag I don't see why anyone would choose this phone these days.
    Hopefully the Verizon version will be a vast improvement.

I was on vacation last week and friends commented on how slow my phone was. There were a few instances were everyone else (either with their Droids, Iphones or even Heros) were able to capture funny moments with their cameras while I completely missed it as it would take more than 30 seconds for the damn thing to load up.
    Google Maps and Sprint Navigation would take forever as well, and I missed a few calls as the phone would freeze. The overall lag of the Pre has taken it's toll on me and I'm finally thinking of switching.
    Don't get me wrong, I still love Webos' overall feel and classiness. It just lacks way too many features every other phone already possesses.

I'm too used to Webos by now, and I still believe it's the strongest phone OS out there. However, looking at all the other phones in the market and how significantly faster they are makes me wonder, what am I waiting for? I don't know if switching to a Hero would be any better (anyone that owns/owned one please feel free to comment). I *might* cancel with Sprint and just go with the Nexus One.

I always root for the underdog, like when I stayed with Sega till their very last console the Dreamcast. What was I left with? An amazing machine that was ahead of it's time but no one would make quality games for it anymore until it became obsolete and game developers forgot about it.

Deja Vu.

Commence the hating
    Pre is not outdated because it's hardware specs can practically match iphones currect specs and if they can optimize it should run as well as the rest. and the pre has the 'ability' to come out with every current feature you can find on the other smartphones... except magnetometer. so not really outdated... just way behind.
    I heartily disagree.

The Pre is not outdated yet at all. The guts of the device are still on par with the very top-end hardware from both Android (Droid) and Apple (iPhone 3GS).

The software, however, is still so feature-poor (missing voice functionality, video recording, apps that access most of the hardware) that people confuse the two. Eventually, Palm will update the software. The problem is that you don't when that is and where the rest of the market will be by then. For a lot of people here, that doesn't matter. Unfortunately, that's not enough people to make Palm healthy and profitable in the long run. So, something's got to give/change sooner or later.

I will say the screen is outdated, definitely, tho. 3.5-4 inches is the range for top notch touchscreens these days (e.g. Nexus One, HD2, iPhone 3GS, Droid, Bravo, Touch Pro 2).

3.1 inches is not going to cut the mustard but for so much longer. At least, if the Pre is to be positioned with the high-end. If Palm wants to aim at the entry-level for smartphones and nowhere else, they should stay right on the course they're on.
    I get Video Record and Voice Memo. I don't get onscreen keyboard and don't see Palm devoting resources to it. The Crosswords App shows how much the hardware keyboard makes things possible. Imagine trying to play that with half your screen gone to a soft keyboard.

I would bet we see Video Recording really soon. Some of us run Precorder and have it now.

This thread is like saying the latest and greatest computer is outdated, because it has Windows 7 on it. The hardware is fine, just needs better software. You can load Ubuntu and it is back on top.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    I haven't updated to 1.3.5 as I see it unnecessary. I'm used to all the patches I've installed, upgrading right now would mean to wait a few more days or weeks before all patches work again just so I can get more app space? Please...
    Dude -

No hating here. I was miserable with 1.3.1 and am now happier than ever with 1.3.5. The lag is mostly gone - everything is much snappier. The touchscreen is way more responsive and battery life is seriously improved. It's been a long haul with the Pre, but don't give up. Bite the bullet - do EPR to remove all your patches, then update to 1.3.5, and finally do EMH to move your homebrew apps. Your Pre should rock! With CES coming, there will be even more to be excited about with the Pre. I suspect video recording is coming very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I get Video Record and Voice Memo. I don't get onscreen keyboard and don't see Palm devoting resources to it. The Crosswords App shows how much the hardware keyboard makes things possible. Imagine trying to play that with half your screen gone to a soft keyboard.
    Yeah, imagine a world where full touchscreen phones like iPhone and Android can actually play crossword puzzle apps.

Oh, wait....we live in that world.

And Precorder? Really? Ok. Well, I guess that solves it. Why on earth are people still demanding video recording and why does Palm make no mention of it on their site? That's a headscratcher...
    I find it unbelievable that you thought it necessary to post this rant while also finding it unnecessary to update to 1.3.5, which fixed most of the problems you are complaining about (For me anyway).

Seriously?

Do you go on to car forums and post that you can't stand the way your car handles on flat tires too?
    <rant>What I don't understand is the obsession with large screen phones! 3.8" is TOO much. I don't want to hold a tablet to my face when I talk on the phone. It's just not comfortable. Yes, a large screen is great for browsing, or reading, but it needs to be portable too. I'm using a BB Storm right now which I believe has a 3.25" screen, and that's as large as I'll go. </rant>

My point is, smaller screen size should not equate to 'entry-level'. I can see how Voice recording/command functionality missing is a bit a of surprise, but if you look at the 1/2 Gen IPhone, it had a lot of 'basic' functionality missing too (until a software/hardware upgrade).

Pre outdated? A big NO from me!
    Quote Originally Posted by babmike View Post
    My point is, smaller screen size should not equate to 'entry-level'.
    You are 100% correct. The Pre screen size is perfect. Most people here share your opinion.

If anything the big slab form factor is outdated. I saw a petite 5ft gal with a Droid the other day. It looked like she was holding a netbook to her face
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I don't understand the obsession with a virtual keyboard. I bought a Palm because it has a real keyboard. I can see maybe because with the phone in landscape there is no way to type, but even then a virtual KB fills 2/3 the screen.

I have an iPod Touch and abhor having to type anything at length on it.

If you put a Blackberry and an iPhone at opposite ends of a spectrum, I see the Pre smack dab in the middle, and that's exactly where I personally want to be.

Video will no doubt come, either via a SW update to the OS or an app in the Cat. But posting and beating the dead and rotted corpse of a horse is not going to make it happen faster. It just clutters up an otherwise spiffy web forum.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I find it unbelievable that you thought it necessary to post this rant while also finding it unnecessary to update to 1.3.5, which fixed most of the problems you are complaining about (For me anyway).

Seriously?
    It's because of people like you that I posted it
    You get so aggravated when you don't agree .
    From what I've read so far 1.3.5 makes the overall experience a bit faster, but I'm talking Droid or iPhone fast here...did you even bother reading the whole thing?

Do you go on to car forums and post that you can't stand the way your car handles on flat tires too?
    With that statement basically you're saying that up until 1.3.5 WebOS was a piece of crap

To the rest I guess I meant Pre + WebOS, my mistake. Just the overall package as of now can't match other phones.
    I post because I care, I love my Pre just as much as any of you...I'm just not a poster boy like some of you act. If I'm not 100% happy I can always come back to WebOS when it's more mature; that is given I leave in the first place which I'm not so sure about.

It's a forum people, lighten up. Folks discuss topics, rant, laugh and complain. Most of us might be bored and want other opinions. I find it funny how some users defend the Pre like it's country's flag. Jeez.

We ALL (at least 99% of us) love the Pre here, why would I even bother on posting something if I didn't? It just has a lot of shortcomings.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I'm with the others here...the hardware isn't outdated, so now there is only software to contend with. That can be fixed.
    I have the Hero as my business cell, and the Pre for my personal cell. Both with the Everything plan. Just purchased both about 3 weeks ago.

I think I prefer the Pre.

The Hero is actually slower. You HAVE to have the Taskkiller app and constantly close programs that are still running even though you exit them. There are memory leaks that require the phone to be power cycled at least once a day to return to acceptable performance levels.

The 5MP camera is very nice, but the Pre seems to take just as good quality of photos. The Hero also doesn't have a light for the camera, I really like the "flash" of the Pre.

There is a noticeable delay with the Hero in both dialing/picking a number from your contact list and the call actually going through. There is even more of a delay in ENDING a call, so be careful to watch the Hero screen when you press 'end call' before you talk about the person you just hung up with.

The touchscreen keyboard is awful. I ALMOST considered taking the phone back because of the keyboard. Once I calibrated it in portrait mode, the keyboard was better, but you can't calibrate it in landscape mode. This is really a big problem, because the "keys" near the edge of the screen on my phone don't react so well, including the space-bar. I am constantly making mistakes while trying to type on the portrait keyboard, even with calibration. I really prefer the 'hardware' keyboards. I upgraded my business cell from the Instinct, which had a much better touchscreen keyboard than the Hero. I am still getting used to it.

The Google integration on the Hero is excellent of course, and there are many apps, but really, how many apps do you need? I would rather myself have fewer well-written apps than a bunch of mediocre ones. The Pre apps seem more polished than the Hero apps.

The voice dialing on the Hero is so-so. You must be very specific to get it to work, and it is slow to react as well. The voice search is very nice, and not as slow and seems more forgiving on how you speak.

I am still learning both phones, but I don't think the Pre is outdated at all.

Of course, this is all very subjective.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by nmpjackburton; 12/30/2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Just opened my camera app to make sure, less than 2 seconds, something is seriously wrong with your pre.
    My friends take the **** out of my Pre because it is slow. So I know exactly where you're coming from. You stated that you think that WebOS is the strongest OS out there - so we agree on that. Someone else mentioned that the hardware in the Pre is the same as the Droid/3GS - I am very confident that Palm is aware of the speed problems and that this provides a lot of ammunition for people to fire at their smartphone. It logically follows that they will spend their time and resources on improving the speed of this device - we've seen one speed increas in 1.3.5 - we KNOW another speed increase is on the way once the GPU is in use. And I'm willing to bet they will optimise the code further after that. If you can find it in you to give it a little more time I think the end result will be very pleasing
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    My friends take the **** out of my Pre because it is slow. So I know exactly where you're coming from. You stated that you think that WebOS is the strongest OS out there - so we agree on that. Someone else mentioned that the hardware in the Pre is the same as the Droid/3GS - I am very confident that Palm is aware of the speed problems and that this provides a lot of ammunition for people to fire at their smartphone. It logically follows that they will spend their time and resources on improving the speed of this device - we've seen one speed increas in 1.3.5 - we KNOW another speed increase is on the way once the GPU is in use. And I'm willing to bet they will optimise the code further after that. If you can find it in you to give it a little more time I think the end result will be very pleasing
    Finally someone who fully gets my point

Funny how no one else noticed the question mark in outdated. It's a question, not a statement
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    The lag is mostly gone - everything is much snappier.
    Snappier??? where? still laggy and slow opening things to me!!

such as my email app(slow)

Phone app(slow)

Messaging app(slow again)

sometimes when im in a rush like when im at work or something and i want to reply to an email really quick it takes for ever for the reply screen to pop uP!!!

Most of the time i can deal with it but sometimes it makes me wanna throw it at a wall!!
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    It's because of people like you that I posted it
    You get so aggravated when you don't agree .
    From what I've read so far 1.3.5 makes the overall experience a bit faster, but I'm talking Droid or iPhone fast here...did you even bother reading the whole thing?

With that statement basically you're saying that up until 1.3.5 WebOS was a piece of crap

To the rest I guess I meant Pre + WebOS, my mistake. Just the overall package as of now can't match other phones.
    I post because I care, I love my Pre just as much as any of you...I'm just not a poster boy like some of you act. If I'm not 100% happy I can always come back to WebOS when it's more mature; that is given I leave in the first place which I'm not so sure about.

It's a forum people, lighten up. Folks discuss topics, rant, laugh and complain. Most of us might be bored and want other opinions. I find it funny how some users defend the Pre like it's country's flag. Jeez.

We ALL (at least 99% of us) love the Pre here, why would I even bother on posting something if I didn't? It just has a lot of shortcomings.
    I totally agree with you !! well put!!!
    I agree, the Pre can seem slow, sometimes. However, I think 1.3.5 solves a lot of the issues.

I was using an HTC Hero for about two months. I switched from the Pre, to the Hero, and finally back to the Pre. The Hero was simply too slow, and too laggy. It did not function well as a phone, and made some of the Pre's problems seem trifling. I preferred the Hardware of the Hero (build quality is better, glass screen), but the Pre's OS is much smoother, and the user experience is much better.

The Hero's lag makes the Pre look like a speed demon. I have to agree, on calls, the thing was so unresponsive, that it drove me insane. I hardly ever made calls on it because of that.

But, I think there are more software optimizations to come on the Pre. I think Palm is finally figuring out how to optimize Web OS, and how to better utilize the hardware on the Pre (and whatever is coming out next June). I'm curious to see what happens when the GPU is enabled, and I'm definitely watching what Palm releases in June on Sprint. I'll be eligible for my early upgrade in September, and if they release a worthy enough successor to the Pre, I'll be buying one up right then.
    Quote Originally Posted by babmike View Post
    <rant>What I don't understand is the obsession with large screen phones! 3.8" is TOO much. I don't want to hold a tablet to my face when I talk on the phone. It's just not comfortable. Yes, a large screen is great for browsing, or reading, but it needs to be portable too. I'm using a BB Storm right now which I believe has a 3.25" screen, and that's as large as I'll go. </rant>
    It's not an obsession. As people use the Web more and have it appear on their phones as it does on their desktop, they wanna see more of each page - pages that have been formatted to run at 800x600 resolutions, mind you. Higher resolution also help with the multimedia experience. Videos look better. Text is more readable. People will want to read more content, including eBooks, and so on and so forth.

A larger screen is better suited for this. 3.1 inches isn't it, no matter how awesome the Pre fonts are. 3.5 inches and above is where it's at and will stay at for the forseeable future.

My point is, smaller screen size should not equate to 'entry-level'. I can see how Voice recording/command functionality missing is a bit a of surprise, but if you look at the 1/2 Gen IPhone, it had a lot of 'basic' functionality missing too (until a software/hardware upgrade).
    True, but what it lacked it made up for in industry-changing features that are STILL being emulated (but still haven't been duplicated).

As for the screen-size thing...think about it another way. Plenty of manufacturers that have made their marks with smaller screen devices are increasing the size of their handsets (e.g. Palm, Blackberry).

Which manufacturer is shrinking them?

.....?
    Last edited by mikah912; 12/30/2009 at 07:00 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast