1.    #1  
    Guess I got spoiled with my Vaja case for the Handspring. Gotta get one for the T615c...just came out HERE.
    Originally posted by MIKE STH
    Guess I got spoiled with my Vaja case for the Handspring. Gotta get one for the T615c...just came out HERE.
    wooohooo!!
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    wooohooo!!
    Darn. I didn't think I could be influenced by nice styling, but...

I am seriously thinking of buying the Vaja, and then seeing if anyone around here wants to buy my Extreme Limits T-Series case (w/beltclip) for 1/2 price.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I'm a little iffy about getting this Vaja case. I bought a Prism case when they first released it and was rather disappointed at it. The leather wasn't "fit" as well as it should have been, the holes didn't align, and the belt clip "nub" broke off after only 3 months of use. I got a replacement in the mail a DAY after I emailed them (now THAT's service) but THAT nub broke off 3 months later as well. But the fit and alignment was MUCH better.

I used the thing everyday, but c'mon, aren't ya supposed to? I finally said 'screw it' and replaced the nub myself--super glue and a plastic Nokia Clip did the job for ANOTHER 3 months.

But the leather quality and overall general 'feel' of the case was top-notch. While disappointed with their initial Prism offering (but satisfied with their later produced cases), I decided to go with them for my Prism/VisorPhone combo.

This case was superb. The fit was spot-on first time, the leather stitching was solid, and the holes aligned PERFECTLY. The belt clip 'nub' also survived for 5 months with NO loosening (you could 'feel' the old case nubs loosening over time). Even though I gave my Prism away when I moved to my T615C, I kept the Vaja case, hehe.

But I'm worried. Vaja didn't do so well the first time around with the Prism case. Also, the T61C seems to be cursed when it comes to these accessories. I read bookrats' post about the PDAPanache stylus not fitting as well as it should, and then there's the E&B cases. I got my E&B belt clip case in the mail the other day (finally) and it's just . . . crap. Okay, so it's not THAT bad, but the holes look like some kid cut 'em with a hobby knife. The leather sags and bunches in the wrong places, and the badly cut holes barely align. Sure, it protects better than a naked CLIE, but that's about it. Oh, but the belt clip seems awfully sturdy, though.

I'll wait for the Vaja user reviews to come out before I go. I have confidence that they'll get it right eventually, but I fear their first run T615C cases may have some issues. I'll stick with my disappointing E&B for the time being (it's got Memstick holders, which I DO need), then may upgrade to the Vaja a little later (if the NR70 series hasn't migrated here yet).
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    Originally posted by raptor
    I'll wait for the Vaja user reviews to come out before I go. I have confidence that they'll get it right eventually, but I fear their first run T615C cases may have some issues.
    Thanks for recounting your experiences with the Prism case; I think I'm going to follow suit and wait for the first few reviews. I think you're giving very good advice.

In fact, after you recounted your experience with the Vaja Prism case, the Extreme Limits case for my T615C starts to look much better in comparison. It is sturdy -- the leather is stiff and smooth, and it's padded inside. I wish there was some covering over the top of the case when it's closed, like the Vaja case; but on the other hand, the bottom of the case is better protected with the Extreme Limits case.

I've dropped the case twice since I've gotten it -- both times my own clumsiness, this is why a case is a must with me -- and both times things have been fine. (Though I wonder what would have happened if it had gone "head first" -- yeeesh!)

In the end, I need a case with (1) good protection and (2) a belt clip. If the Extreme Limits does the job better than the Vaja, I'll stick with EL -- even though the look reminds me of the "Roy Roger's Clie edition". Giddyap, you doggies!
    Jeff Meyer

6.    #6  

. I got my E&B belt clip case in the mail the other day (finally) and it's just . . . crap. Okay, so it's not THAT bad, but the holes look like some kid cut 'em with a hobby knife. The leather sags and bunches in the wrong places, and the badly cut holes barely align.
    Well, DARN! I've already got a E&B on the way Hopefully it's been improved. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives...thought it would be today.

On the other hand, I emailed Celia at Vaja because I wanted an exotic skin on my 615 case just like the ostrich on my Visor. Would have sprung for crock or gator or something but they aren't made yet. Looks like we are surfing the new device wave yet again

Tell me about this Extreme case, I liked my old Rhodiana, but it's finally bit the dust. I assume it's somewhat similar?!?! A link perhaps?

Meanwhile, I'm having a good 'ole time, in the past two days I got my 615c and have been grabbing all the color upgrades to existing software and I just went wireless here at home, so it's MUCH more comfortable searching for neat new stuff for the Clie from the Lazy-Boy

Transition was rather painless, not too many programs have any problems.
    Tell me about this Extreme case, I liked my old Rhodiana, but it's finally bit the dust. I assume it's somewhat similar?!?! A link perhaps?
    Here's a link to the product page. Sturdy (though I wish it had more protection at the top), and very thick leather.

I had a Rhodiana for my VDX almost all the time I had it -- loved the case -- not fancy, but very very rugged, and you could work with the VDX in the case. However, had to return the belt clip tab at least 3 times for repairs.

The Extreme Limits belt clip tab seems much more durable, but the clip itself has slipped off twice (admittedly under duress). There is no perfect solution...
    Jeff Meyer

8.    #8  
    Thanks Jeff
    Well, DARN! I've already got a E&B on the way Hopefully it's been improved. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives...thought it would be today.
    Let us know, because if they have, an exchange may be in order. I read all the early reports on ClieSource about how bad the first run E&B's were (very non-typical of they usual quality). I was hoping that with the feedback given E&B (and the amount of supposed "I'm sending this back tomorrow" posts), they may have taken measures to improve quality.

But alas, either they've done nothing, or they have and my case is still just an 'early' run (I did preorder it with the rest of 'em).

I've never had an E&B before, but was eager to try them out. I know that most people in the past considered E&B second only to Vaja, but this case is a really bad 'first impression' for those who've never had one before.
    -Richard Powell

10.    #10  

and then there's the E&B cases. I got my E&B belt clip case in the mail the other day (finally) and it's just . . . crap. Okay, so it's not THAT bad, but the holes look like some kid cut 'em with a hobby knife. The leather sags and bunches in the wrong places, and the badly cut holes barely align. Sure, it protects better than a naked CLIE, but that's about it. Oh, but the belt clip seems awfully sturdy, though.
    Ok, got it in the mail today. I can only compair the EB t615c case to the Vaja Ostrich Visor case as those are the only leather ones I've had.

I LIKE the EB because:

I can sync the Clie WITH the case on...this is a first, never had this option before and I love it.

It just plain looks professional and it keeps the slim formfactor ot the T series.

The two magnet catch is an excellent way to go, much less intrusive and slimmer than a strap.

The leather shows no blemishes, the stitching seems uniform with the exception of the stylus area where it has been cut back a bit to ease access to the stylus. There is some serious renforcement on the opposite side right above the jog dial as there is very little material between the top of the case and the jogdial area, right above the nub for laynard attatchment. My guess is that if this case fails, this will be the area.

The Front and the card holder area of the case is nicely padded and I see absolutely no flaws in either area...it's perfect.

The belt clip does appear to be very sturdy and brings the unit in nicely to the waist, I much prefer this slightly higher mounting to the mounting that allows the unit to swing lower. I can only liken it to a IWB pistol holster that holds snugly to your body.

Now for the nit-picks(had to be a few)

While the hole for the jogdial area does appear to be professionally cut, the holes for the speaker and the cradle holder and the "on" button do appear to be cut out by a 3rd grader, and do not align. Possibly they will form into their place as the leather is rather thin. Hopefully, these holes will age gracefully.

I would have liked to have a MS holder in place of one of the business card slots, but that's just my prefrence.

I would like to have a choice in leather. This is nice and smells great, but it's not an exotic leather like I prefer.

The Vaja uses much thicker leather, thus the unit is probably better protected, but you do pay the price with a less slim form factor. The Vaja just impresses the heck out of people, while the EB basically does not draw attention.

Personally, I can forsee a need for both cases, I just have to wait for Vaja to get a exotic skin case going.

anyone else have any observations?
  11.    #11  
    Oh, and BTW, it's STILL difficult to pull out the stylus, but that happens without a case anyway
    I posted some comments and pictures in a directory on my site:

http://www.raptorgames.com/BadEBCase/index.html

The photos on the page are 640x480 but are linked to the original 1600x1200 images underneath. Please compare your case to mine and see if they've improved the manufacture.

Hopefully they have. Or maybe I'm just being too critical of E&B, who knows.

I LIKE the EB because: ... <snip>

It just plain looks professional and it keeps the slim formfactor ot the T series.
    IMHO, the case they sent me looks like it was done by some dude in a basement. Seriously. If I had hand stitched this case, I would be relatively proud of it. But then again, I wouldn't plop down $40 for a case made by some dude in a basement.

The two magnet catch is an excellent way to go, much less intrusive and slimmer than a strap.
    While I personally prefer a snap closure (I did use my Vaja as a wallet replacement, and I did keep CC cards in the case), that's just personal preference. I apparently won't get that choice even with the new Vajas.

But the magnets on this E&B just seem too bulky. Now I've never had a magnet case before this, so I can't compare, but these just seem to be TOO intrusive to me. See the site and pics for why I feel this way.

While the hole for the jogdial area does appear to be professionally cut, the holes for the speaker and the cradle holder and the "on" button do appear to be cut out by a 3rd grader, and do not align. Possibly they will form into their place as the leather is rather thin. Hopefully, these holes will age gracefully.
    Do you have a speaker hole on yours? I only have the cradle hole in the back. Also, my jog dial hole appears the same as the others: malformed and unaligned.

I would have liked to have a MS holder in place of one of the business card slots, but that's just my prefrence.
    Just curious, but doesn't yours have the 2 MS slots underneath the main pocket? Or do you need more than 2 slots (it's possible you may, I'm just asking).

The Vaja uses much thicker leather, thus the unit is probably better protected, but you do pay the price with a less slim form factor. The Vaja just impresses the heck out of people, while the EB basically does not draw attention.
    Between the two, my Vaja case actually uses thinner leather, and 'feels' like it may provide less protection than the E&B. The E&B's leather thickness and feel are my main gripes, though. I don't mind extra protection, but I DO mind when it causes the case to look . . . 'saggy'.

From your comments, it either sounds like the improved their processes (which means I better be able to get a replacement for this) or I'm a bit too hard on the E&B case. I realize the E&B cases are close to half the Vaja's price, but this just doesn't even feel worth $40 to me.
    -Richard Powell

13.    #13  
    While I personally prefer a snap closure (I did use my Vaja as a wallet replacement, and I did keep CC cards in the case), that's just personal preference. I apparently won't get that choice even with the new Vajas.
    Probably just my quirks, but didn't you notice the strap on the Vaja catching on stuff? I only carry business cards so I can't comment on the CC slots.

But the magnets on this E&B just seem too bulky. Now I've never had a magnet case before this, so I can't compare, but these just seem to be TOO intrusive to me. See the site and pics for why I feel this way.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a speaker hole on yours? I only have the cradle hole in the back. Also, my jog dial hole appears the same as the others: malformed and unaligned.

Yes, I have a speaker hole and a Jog Dial hole and a power button hole and a cradle nubbin hole. Your power button hole is just as bad as mine. My leather looks a little bit thinner, but it might be my tired eyes at the moment You are right, the edges are not "smoothed" like the Vaja. Mine conforms a bit closer to the screen...not the rise yours shows on the left screen edge. My jog dial area does look MUCH better and the edges here are definately thinner. You noticed the upper left corner as I did...weakest part of the design, but will probably hold better than the plastic on the Rhodiana did. Mine is definately NOT as loose....I'll shoot some pictures and post..

quote:

Just curious, but doesn't yours have the 2 MS slots underneath the main pocket? Or do you need more than 2 slots (it's possible you may, I'm just asking).

Well, LOOKIE HERE! THanks, I didn't notice them...probably because my case is so much tighter than yours?

quote:

Between the two, my Vaja case actually uses thinner leather, and 'feels' like it may provide less protection than the E&B. The E&B's leather thickness and feel are my main gripes, though. I don't mind extra protection, but I DO mind when it causes the case to look . . . 'saggy'.

Again, the E&B I have has MUCH thinner leather than my Vaja.

From your comments, it either sounds like the improved their processes (which means I better be able to get a replacement for this) or I'm a bit too hard on the E&B case. I realize the E&B cases are close to half the Vaja's price, but this just doesn't even feel worth $40 to me.

Richard, by the looks of it they have improved. Still have a bit to go, but I'm satisfied I got my $40 worth...will post the pictures ASAP

14.    #14  
    Hope this helps, I'm going to bed

Hmm, yup, yours does look a bit better than mine.

Thanks for the photos. At least now I know that they've improved somewhat.

It's bed time for me, too. But tomorrow I'm gonna have to see if they'd offer a replacement case. The more I look at mine, the more I get disappointed.

Hopefully they're still improving their cases. I'm actually now interested in seeing what one of their other cases looks like. Perhaps the T615C case is just one bad example in an otherwise good line.

Oh well. Thanks again!
    -Richard Powell

16.    #16  
    No problem Richard,

They still need to work on the Power on button and I think your idea of "smoothing" the edges would make the various other holes look much better as well. One thing I definately noticed last night is that the area at the back of the jog dial was cut on the diaginal. They basically 'shaved' the inside about 1-2mm back inside the case so it would be thinner and conform to the unit better. Seems they are paying attention to the feedback.

BTW, I should have taken a picture of the speaker hole. Realize it after I posted the pictures, but it's just a bit more rectangular than the cradle nub hole.

In my mind, the solution to the power on button hole looking bad is to have some sort of synthetic pad similar to a snap head clipped to the area. It would be small with very little rise above the case and would provide enough ridgidity to be able to depress the poweron button when depressed. Other possibility I would have been happier with is a much smaller hole as I use my stylus to turn on the unit(Visor habit) most of the time.

All-in-all, IMHO, both the units and the cases are definately getting better. I'd still like to see a PDA with full screen and graffitti popup imbedded in acrylic a-la IPOD with insertable fashion plates like carbon fiber ets. Seems a natural progression. Transfer via firewire or USB2 even more onboard memory and lets throw in memory stick. The more I use them, the more I like them. Especially after moving 60+ pictures over to the MS via MS gate last night. This is SOOO much easier than the Fireviewer/conversion I was doing with the Platinum. Color IS much better than greyscale especially for pictures and ebooks.

Next project is a short movie on MS.

As an aside, I feel I've jumped light years ahead moving from the Platinum to the T615c. I'm really enjoying learning again.

Thanks for letting me know about the MS holders, it would have taken a month for me to see them