View Poll Results: Is Sony the Apple of the PDA world?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!! Sony is "Thinking Different"

24 75.00%
  • Sony is trying but note quite

3 9.38%
  • Just give me an Abacus and I'll be fine

5 15.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I didn't wanna admit it, and I should have asked it a long time ago but now with the roll out of the Clie NR70, is Sony the Apple of the PDA world?

The truth of the matter guys is Sony is learning from Apple, and Apple has learned from Sony.

Sony wanted in on the PC market, and found its mark in building PCs as if Apple were making wintel devices. They put a lot of thought into it and had an advantage no other PC manufacturer had. Brand loyalty which is one. But they had total control on how they could make their exhisting product compatible. Sony Cameras, Camcorders, MP3 players, PDAs (Clie line), and to boot they add a new memory standard the MemoryStick which if you didn't know works on just about all their devices.

Apple learned from Sony That they can venture from the PC/Laptop arena and still keep Apple on their minds. Look at the iPod, it complements their Macs just like the Clie to Sony PCs. The iPod has gotta be the best Mp3 player out. I just hope Apple keeps 'em coming.
    The iMac is awesome too.

Both Sony and Apple are doing what I prefer to see from manufacturers. Creating smart thoughtful, eye-jarring, stable, easy to use technology. Now that actually makes my life easier.

If I were Apple I would liscence that thing and smack and apple logo on it

PS:This is not to say SOny SOny Sony. I am just acknowledging good work when I see it. hopefully Palm can get some praise if they roll out OS 5 properly.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 03/11/2002 at 01:00 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Neither company really learned from the other. Both companies have always been very focused on innovation rather than universal compatibility and both have excelled at industrial design and user experience design.

As for the new Clie's, all I can say is that Palm is years behind the curve.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    As for the new Clie's, all I can say is that Palm is years behind the curve.
    Yeah -- I think that's the big lesson from the new Clie. (At least if we're talking Palm, and not PalmSource.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Apple has been doing good work for quite sometime...it's about time people started acknowledging them! Both companies are great, and are innovators in technology, they are both very valuable. Not too sure about them learning from each other, but we know companies steal from each other everyday, "good artists copy, great artists steal."

On the topic of being ahead of everyone, I think Mac aesthetics are still quite ahead, though PCs are catching up with WinXP. Though Macs have been ahead in many areas since they were conceived, it's just, no one knew about it. As for Sony, that hasn't been the case. Every unit they've released has been far ahead of their competitors, and have pushed them to innovate, bringing the entire industry foward. I look forward to seeing what Sony can do
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Sony's new units are impressive. These units are the only ones to catch my eyes since the first Visor Deluxes. I wonder if there is money to be made in the PDA space though. Perhaps the Clie line is part of a bigger strategy by Sony. They have been aggressive in the space releasing a new unit like every 2 months.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by yardie
    . . . They have been aggressive in the space releasing a new unit like every 2 months.
    That should tell you there is money to be made. I see PDA a commodity soon like VCRs and other house hold electronics. Sony is making it a true part of your life. Not just a corproate tool. Thats what I want . . . A device that helps me work, play, and relax. And so far the Clie has met all those needs for me.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    On the other hand, Sony is still using Palm OS, but Apple sure isn't using Windows.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    On the other hand, Sony is still using Palm OS, but Apple sure isn't using Windows.
    And Apple will NEVER use Windows in their computers, for one huge thing, PowerPC processors can't run Windows OS's, they aren't compiled for PowerPC. Apple will stick to their own hardware and their own software, that's actually a big reason why they're so expensive...

As for Sony, I highly doubt they'll ever go into Pocket PC either. Sony is the consumer electronics giant, and PalmOS devices appeal to consumers, and many of them. With them releasing so many, Sony may soon have a standard, like MD said, an electronics commodity. Pocket PC is geared towards business users, corporations, and Sony won't go into that stuff, they're not very good at it. Besides, how many business/corporate users out there use a Sony Clie? They'd either go for Palms, as in Palm Inc. (m505, m500, etc) or Pocket PCs.
    nelson.hsieh
    And Apple will NEVER use Windows in their computers, for one huge thing, PowerPC processors can't run Windows OS's
    Virtual PC runs Windows just fine on a PPC chip.
    -David Byrne
    Apple is endearing. Sony is annoying.
    Apple is endearing. Sony is annoying.
    How so?
    -David Byrne
    Sony isn't thinking different enough-- the Clies are't compatible with a Mac platform.
    How so?
    Can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the churn of new models. Maybe it's the silly branding (though, given the churn of the new models, it makes sense. Better to lose the 13nm23633 than the HappyFunTimePalm). Maybe it's jealousy. I dunno.

I love my Handycam almost more than my Treo, so I'm a raging hypocrite...
    Huh... when I read the title of this thread, MY first interpretation was "Is Sony gonna keep on making dumb mistakes like Apple has?"

Consumer electronics is an incredibly fickle and fast-paced field, and both these players have made some real blunders in it- and oddly enough, the biggest blunders seem to involve proprietary systems and licensing.

With Sony, Betamax video comes quickly to mind- the technically superior system, but it never grew- at least partly because the only other 'brand name' it sold under was Sears. Prices were more rigid, the more widely used VHS standard became easier to buy and cheaper, etc. Tapes used to be widely available in both formats, but as VHS decks sold better, Beta tapes became harder to find...

Apple has literally written the book on such mis-steps. How many times did the company almost fall, and even today- with a great product line- still not be holding much of the market? As far as marketing goes, one of the smartest things they ever did- and possibly the main thing that kept them alive- was to offer free or cheap computers to schools and students.

I think the Clie is great- although well outside of my wallet, AND I am a bit concerned about the memory stick. I have lived through so many formats that come and go that I get nervous when I see a new one pop up like this.

(Electronics Format test- Add to this list: vinyl records (33 1/3 RPM, 45 RPM, 78 RPM), 8-track, audio tape, digital audio tape (whatever happened to DAT?), reel to reel, CD, mini-CD, mini-cassette, 8mm, super 8mm, S-VHS, compact VHS, VHS, Beta, 3/4 video (U-matic, or something like that, isn't it?), 3.5 floppy, 5.25 floppy, 8" floppy (remember those monsters?), punched cards, punched tape, compact flash, smart media, multimedia cards, mini hard drives, secure digital, memory stick...
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Virtual PC runs Windows just fine on a PPC chip.
    True, but that's because it's emulated. Windows was not written for PowerPC processors, and it's not even possible to compile the code for PowerPC. Virtual PC is good for the occasional use of a PC by a Mac user. But Apple's not gonna sell Macs just because it can run Virtual PC...
    nelson.hsieh
    and both these players have made some real blunders in it
    Yes they have. And I respect that. Too many companies are unwilling to make blunders. You learn from mistakes. If you are a company that never makes a blunder, you're probably never going to be producing innovative products.

- and oddly enough, the biggest blunders seem to involve proprietary systems and licensing.
    Most computer systems are proprietary.

With Sony, Betamax video comes quickly to mind- the technically superior system, but it never grew-
    You could call that a blunder, but you blunder when you gamble. Sony had the superior product, they took a gamble hoping that the consumer base would accept the superior product. Some times consumers DO go with the superior product, but, all to often, they prefer the cheap product. Some companies, like Sony and Apple have no interestest in targeting that crowd.
    -David Byrne
    Oops...forgot to finish my post...

Apple has literally written the book on such mis-steps. How many times did the company almost fall
    Umm...ok, let me see...uhh...once. They almost fell once. That period right before Jobs returned, they were falling apart. That was pretty much the only time. Why do people think they've been nearly out of business numerous times?

one of the smartest things they ever did- and possibly the main thing that kept them alive- was to offer free or cheap computers to schools and students.
    What kept the alive is them doing business as usual. They make a good product that a lot of people like. I can't sat they've EVER offered free computers to schools, and the discounts are about the same as for any computer company.

Add to this list:
    The list of formats you list have simply been eclipsed. That's natural.
    -David Byrne
    Apple is just an amazing company to STILL be alive after so many years. Jobs is crazy smart to be able to do that. The thing with Apple is that, even with their PC competitors, they don't lose quality for quantity. Apple's products are amongst the highest quality technology goods in the world. Apple doesn't try to beat PC companies by offering super cheap, unreliable, crappy computers. They only offer the best to their consumers, and the price is getting cheaper. Apple did make a huge mistake in their beginning, thinking just like SONY with the BetaMax, however, that fact that their still alive is just amazing.

BTW, last quarter Apple was one of the only PC (as in Personal Computer, not windows) manufacturers to ACTUALLY earn profit. Apple is doing some good work out there, and people do acknowledge that. That's why I switched to Mac, I finally realized that Apple is quality. Though XP is pretty nice, but I can see that Microsoft probably sent some of their engineers to Apple to bite off their code. Explain why OS X comes out about a year earlier than XP, and is still better...
    nelson.hsieh
    Apple did make a huge mistake in their beginning, thinking just like SONY with the BetaMax
    This is incorrect. People, for whatever reason assume that since Apple isn't the computer everyone uses, they made a big mistake somewhere.

The truth is that Apple NEVER intended to be the computer everyone uses. They own a very respectable share of the market and they're very happy selling to only those people that care about quality, design, and usability.

Apple has been consistently in the top-5 list of all PC manufacturers. I don't think that means they're 'hanging on by a thread' or anything.

And, to be fair to Sony, they don't release each and every product to become the best in the world. They release good, innovative products. If they sell, great, if not, oh well, they go on to the next product. It is a VERY American thing to expect that each product and service a company sells must be indpendently succesful to a degree that it either builds massive profits or market share.

Explain why OS X comes out about a year earlier than XP, and is still better...
    Partly because Steve Jobs and Bill Gates both have very different goals. Both OSes are good in various ways, depending on the criteria for judging them. Sadly, both companies decided to initially focus on eye-candy rather than truly revolutionize the desktop OS. As cool as XP and OSX are, they aren't THAT different than Windows 95 or Mac OS circa 1984.

Fortunately, since OSX is unix, there are a LOT of people are developing great little apps that fix all of the usability omissions in OSX!
    -David Byrne
    ...Partly because Steve Jobs and Bill Gates both have very different goals...
    Cringely has a nice diatribe to the same effect.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast