Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I currently own the Palm Pre and have now owned it for about 6 months. The hardware is holding up well and I can say I'm a very hard business users from Monday thru Friday and I give it a little rest on Sat & Sunday.

Battery life is okay if you don't want to use a bluetooth device and don't use the vibrate mode. I can get from 6AM to about 5 to 7PM. But, once I add in Bluetooth into the picture I could use see low battery starting 12PM to 3PM. It all depends on my cell phone usage that day. I do carry a spare battery in my pocket.

In the most recent update it seems to have gotten slower. But, yes there is a lag which I can live with because I leave most of my cards open which I will only experience the lag when opeening new apps.

The app situation is driving me crazy. I was hopeing DataViz would have released a version of DocViz for Palm that allowed you to edit Word and Excel documents. Palm teamed up w/Dataviz and allowed them to delay the release. I guess some day we will see a release to edit these types of documents. Also, I liked the app called eWallet from Ilium. They have no plans on building an app for Palm OS.

So yes, I kind of disappointed w/the app availability. If their were more Palm OS users we would have more programmer's that would be interested in writting code for our platform.

The things that I love about the Palm Pre
    1. Key Board and Touch Screen
    2. How it takes multiple databases and how it merges all together on the phone. I love how it ties my Mailserver Database w/Facebook. Someone is calling me and I'm seeing their facebook profile picture and they automatically update.
    3. Also, when you search for a name it looks in all of your database before going out to the web.
    4. Multi-Tasking w/Multiple Cards being open.
    5. Wifi - 802.11 option
    6. Sprint Network w/EVDO service
    * Sprint coverage is the best in my home town.

I used a Blackberry for a very short period of time when I visted the UK and needed a Worldwide phone. I had a week to play with it and I can't say I was able to figure out all of the shortcuts and kind of confused by it. I like being able to touch the screen and moving it around vs. using a track ball. Also, I like how the Palm OS phone sync up with our Microsoft Mail Server without needing to purchasing any Blackberry software that needed to be installed on the mail server to be able to sync calendars, contacts and emails.
    I also like the big scrren on the Palm Pre w/slide out keyboard vs. Blackberry.

I believe Palm OS failed at lauching this phone and only choosing one carrier to introduce their product. They needto relaunch the phone again to show Blackberry, and iPhone that it's a major player because it can easily do everthing that a Blackberry and an iPhone can do!! I don't know anything about the Android and have not had a chance to play with the two phones that are available on Sprint's Network.

I believe Palm Pre and Pixi form factors are perfect!! I like the iPhone for the big touch screen to play and view pictures and movies, but, lacks the keyboard. Then when it comes to sending email and text msg's you need a keyboard that you can type emails quickly. So, I do like Blackberry for business use only.. The keyboard on the Palm Pre allows you to type w/one finger or two thumbs. Keyboard is not too large or small.. It's perfect.
    Hope you enjoyed your time on Palm
    - how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier? I am on my second Pre...had the headphone jack issue. Overall, I love the form factor, it is the perfect size to rest in your hand. The keyboard is just OK, but you get used to it quickly. I find the speed and battery life good, but could be better. Love the responsiveness of the touchscreen. And the image quality is awsome.

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week? We could use better apps. Most of what I want/need, they have so far. But more is always better. As the possibility of native apps approaches, I feel things will get much better quickly.

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)? I love the notifications, the unique implementation of multitasking, and the concept of Synergy linking the various parts of my online life in one place. And I really love the homebrew development that is possible on this platform. It is refreshing to see a company support the modding community rather than treat them like a criminal. I was/am a Blackberry user, currently I carry a Blackberry Bold through AT&T. Before WebOS, I was a diehard BB user. But since owning a Pre, the Blackberry OS feels old, dated, and sluggish. Web surfing on a BB is a chore. And the multitasking is one of those things that until you have it, you really didn't realize how much you need it. Using my Bold is just frustrating most of the time, as I am constantly comparing it to the Pre.

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like? I think that most BB users will love the Pre for the same reasons they love their BB, which is great email and calendar syncronization. Palm was the corporate darling before being unseated by RIM, and they have a lot of experience in the corporate environment. I don't see the iPhone or the Android platform making inroads into the corporate environment as easily. The main thing that the Blackberry users will miss is the great keyboards on the BB phones. My Bold has the best phone keyboard out there, hands down.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)? I love the Pre form factor, and I can see the Pixi being a good form factor for others who like the traditional Blackberry or Palm feel of a keyboard out there front and center. I can see Palm eventually offering either a slab style phone with no hardware keyboard (yuck...) or a horizontal slider style phone like the Droid. The only thing I would add in the next form factor would be a microSD slot, more physical memory, a slightly bigger screen, and a internal compass.
    Touch screens are overrated. They don't make a phone better than a non-touch screen. That said, I love android and WebOS because they are well executed. Blackberry gets the job done all the same though.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    The battery life needs to be improved, and the app catalog is lacking a little currently, but other than that, I love this phone.
    still going...
    Aren't these forum posts a little past due?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    perhaps but I want to win so will try anyway
    am trying again
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Smartphone round-robin contest entry!
    sweepstake entry
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Smartphone round-robin contest entry!
    Hey hey! You smartphone experts are extending the round robin till the 25th right, RIGHT?!?!
    still trying...
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Hey hey! You smartphone experts are extending the round robin till the 25th right, RIGHT?!?!
    They seem to be a week behind because of CES, so I imagine so.

Quote Originally Posted by jankyhanky View Post
    Touch screens are overrated. They don't make a phone better than a non-touch screen. That said, I love android and WebOS because they are well executed. Blackberry gets the job done all the same though.
    You obviously aren't disabled (at least in the same way I am). For me, trying to push those tiny buttons on phones is incredibly difficult. (Though, admittedly, my only experience is trying the display models in the stores.) With my iPod Touch, though, I have absolutely no problem using it because the touch screen is so sensitive. So, for some of us, touch screens (at least capacitive touch screens) are a near necessity.
    Last edited by Fobok; 01/12/2010 at 10:22 AM.
    smartphone contest
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    - how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier? I really love the Pre. My hardware was doing just fine until the speaker blew. There was a bug in the 1.2.1 update that made the notification come out extremely loud when a headphone was plugged in. After that, I have now received 4 replacements from Sprint. Each one has had a problem from slider issues to blown speaker (ironic, i know). I dont blame Palm...I think this is more of Sprints insurance company. Either way, it needs to be fixed. It is EXTREMELY frustrating. Daily use is wonderful. there isn't much I want it to do that it can't. Bettery life is so-so. I can make it s full day if I need to, but it'll be close. I keep a charger at work and in my car just in case. ($10 on ebay isnt bad). And I have two touchstones - will install one in my car eventually. Its too cold outside now. The speed is average as well. the first time I picked up an iPhone to compare, I immediately noticed it was much snappier just moving around. It is noticably quicker and I hope Palm can get webOS there quickly. I will say, it has gotten better since launch...not even with apple though.

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week? I do love me some apps. The apps a pretty good. The ones we seem to be missing aren't a matter of nondevelopment, they are b/c of non-API. Currently you cant access the microphone with the current SDK. This makes it impossible for some apps to be developed (like shazaam). Also, no auto-focus...so no barcode scanner. Other than those, I'm pretty happy with whats out there. The one thing that is troublesome to me is that apps are sometimes 2x more expensive on webOS than on apple. I understand why, but it sucks nonetheless.

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?
    I love what the phone does for me, how easy/enjoyable it makes doing tasks, and how open it is. I was tempted to switch to an iphone with all the refurb problems ive been having, but I just cant see myself living without some of the features only my Pre has. True multitasking. anything from apple seems too archaic to me. The universal search is amazing. Just start typing ANYTHING and it will take you where you want to go. A name, a website, an email, an app. anything. Its pretty darn useful.

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?
    I think they will love the web experience. My number one dislike when using my girlfriends work blackberry is how terrible their web display is. Many times it wont certain render things, sometimes entire websites. I think they would also enjoy that it links all of your account into one place. To me, the blackberry is a work phone. Its not fun or exciting. It has no style.
    On the other hand, it is WAYYY more productive than a webOS phone. Churning out emails is much quicker on blackberrys and their corporate features are unmatched by any other platform.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?
    I like my Pre. To me, some other phones are too large. Especially when in your pocket. The Pre is a good mix of function and style. With that said, I would love to see a larger device. I can probably live with a bulge in my pocket, but I love reading webpages on iphones because it is much easier to see. I have said it before. They need to take the Pixi and make it larger. I would go nuts for that. In fact, if they had the pixi plus on Sprint I would go buy it and use both the pixi and the pre. I would switch back and forth. I LOVE how the pixi feels in my hand.
    wakey wakey!
    Entry post? Still going on?
    sweepstakes entry...