Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    - how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?
    Since the 1.2.1 Upgrade the App Situation really sucks in Germany ( even more in other countrys ) as there is only a small part of the US Apps available here.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?
    Compared to the iPh... the Pre really rocks as it always fits in your Pocket.

- anything else you think i need to know?!
    Escaping from the Cloud is nearly impossible if you don't own a Exchange Server. I don't understand how someone could handover all Contacts and Calendars and Mails to the Company with the G. Sending Personal Data like your Position to Palm is a No-Go too, Non-Homebrewers have only little chance to disable that.
    Can you not turn off the cloud? In Android that's pretty easy to avoid.
    Hi Kevin, I have answers, but I'm a power user not a techie and I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Pre. I didn't get it til launch day 6/6/09. What can you really know in 6 months (ha, ha).

- how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?

I've had plenty of PDAs, laptops, and smartphones where I've carried backup batteries so this wasn't an issue for me. However, the battery life has gotten better and since getting a 2nd battery for my Pre, I feel very free a secure. Prior to 1.3.5 update, I'd get antsy if I wasn't near a power outlet. Now I'm fine, but again having the spare battery allowed me to test the current battery power.

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?
    I'm here in PreCentral and have access to homebrew as well as App Catalog. Between the two of them, I end up getting apps I never knew I wanted or needed. This is saying something since a had numerous PalmOS apps that did everything except cook for me. I miss a native audible app, but with Classic, I'm covered in that area also.Oh and the homebrew apps of Youview, Dr Podder, GdialPro and GeoStrings are examples of apps I never thought of, but use daily now.

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?
    This is going to sound ridiculous, but I never realized I'd love multitasking until I touched the unintrusive version provided by the Pre. Aside from that, the web browsing experience keeps me from looking for replacements for some of my most needed PalmOS apps. I know do all my work directly in the cloud or on the Web and don't have to worry about hardware failure and sync issues.
    - what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?
    The ease of use. The Blackberry is a power house, but you have multiple steps to get to most things. That isn't the case with WebOS. I also think you'll lover entering information into the web. If you had the homebrew app AutoCorrectEdit, you could use shortcuts and save a lot of keystrokes also.
    - how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?
    I'd like a virtual keyboard for landscape mode. As far as the size goes, I love the look of other people's bigger screens, but I know I'd find it inconvenient if my Pre was that big. In fact, I was at with a co-worker who had his iPhone and commented on the size of his screen and he stated let's really look. He put my phone against his and in terms of the screen there was more screen width wise (slight), but there was no discernible difference in the length of the screen. Now my brother has a BB Storm and that puppy is almost the size of UX90 laptop. So I guess I'd have to say the form factor is just right if they can tighten up the build structure. I would call this grass is green envy, because I want the bigger screen if I'm watching a movie, but I don't watch movies on my phone. I want sturdier build structure, but I've dropped my phone (a few times and still haven't had a problem and I've had my phone since launch day. Yeah, I love this phone but realize that everything can always be better.
    I wouldn't be as happy with this phone without this forum and the homebrew community. Having access to the talent in this forum means that any snags that I've run into are quickly handled. Also 1.3.5 update rocks.
    Saw there's now 1,000 apps available...getting there
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhnc View Post
    Love the existing Pre form-factor. If anything, I would like to see a more fat fingers-friendly keyboard.
    same here...keyboard is good on the pre but seems a little cramped
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcity00 View Post
    same here...keyboard is good on the pre but seems a little cramped
    Agreed. I seem to have fairly consistent trouble with even the iPhone's software keyboard while in vertical orientation... and I don't consider my fingers to be terribly large. I realize that Palm wants to keep their hardware platform tight at this stage while they focus on WebOS, but I might like to see an eventual release of two to three additional devices which would combine with the Pre and Pixi in order to always have a single-device representation for each in the full spectrum of smartphone configurations (landscape QWERTY, Large full touch screen, etc.).
    entry for giveaway
    Smartphone Giveaway entry... Happy New Year!
    Quote Originally Posted by onlineaddy View Post
    entry for giveaway
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Smartphone Giveaway entry... Happy New Year!
    I was under the impression that the post had to contribute to the OP's questions to be eligible. Just FYI
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post
    Agreed. I seem to have fairly consistent trouble with even the iPhone's software keyboard while in vertical orientation... and I don't consider my fingers to be terribly large. I realize that Palm wants to keep their hardware platform tight at this stage while they focus on WebOS, but I might like to see an eventual release of two to three additional devices which would combine with the Pre and Pixi in order to always have a single-device representation for each in the full spectrum of smartphone configurations (landscape QWERTY, Large full touch screen, etc.).
    I hope they do offer a full range of devices, but based on their past record, I'm not convinced they will despite what they say. There always has been a contingent of TX users that would go for a larger, slab type device with cell capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post

I would like to see a horizontal slider with that wayyy bigger display you talk about. I used to love the palm keyboards, and still think they have their advantages for one handed use. But have fallen in love my my TP2 keyboard, after hating it for a few weeks (it was too big). It is so much easier to get some real typing done on!! I want to see palm do a phone that is a sturdier horizontal slider with say a 4 inch display
    I like the idea of having a touch screen only WebOS device. I'm not a big fan of side sliders, and I think RIM would agree. Side-sliding is kind of the in-between device for those uncommitted to the touch screen and the front facing keyboard.
    - how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?

The Palm Pre hardware was a huge problem for me. Hardware issues (as in 5 Palm Pre exchanges in 6 months!) have forced me to switch to the HTC Hero (two weeks ago)... I DEFINITELY miss webOS' ease of use and attractiveness but the Hero is a competent phone. I was okay with the speed although I'm sure it could have improved. The battery life, as with most smartphones, could be better.

Apps were another sore spot. While there are some great apps out there, I didn't find many compelling ones that I simply had to have. I'm sure the lack of truly native apps, instead of just apps based on web standards, doesn't help

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?

I don't think there is an easier, more intuitive, more attractive mobile OS available right now and coming from both Blackberry and WiMo devices, it was a vast improvement in user experience.

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?

I think the attractive OS and the ease of use would draw anyone in, including Blackberry users but they might be put off by the lack of power user options and not being able to do all the things you are used to doing on the Blackberry OS.

I wasn't 100% on board with the Pre's hardware from the beginning, mainly because of the keyboard. That was my main worry before it was released and after its release, it remained a bit of a thorn on my side, though not as bad as I expected it to be. The screen was also a little too small for my taste.

The homebrew community for webOS is amazing. From patches to apps and everything in between... the customization available for webOS through homebrew is insane. It is also insanely easy to tap into this device and patch the heck out of it and the community support available is unrivaled.
    Quote Originally Posted by jankyhanky View Post
    I like the idea of having a touch screen only WebOS device. I'm not a big fan of side sliders, and I think RIM would agree. Side-sliding is kind of the in-between device for those uncommitted to the touch screen and the front facing keyboard.

I'm ok with either type of form factor, but would like to see them try something with a bigger screen. Both the pixi and pre are pocketable and do a good job for that purpose, but at the cost of a bigger screen. The touch screen of webos would work great on a larger form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by kindaskimpy View Post
    The homebrew community for webOS is amazing. From patches to apps and everything in between... the customization available for webOS through homebrew is insane. It is also insanely easy to tap into this device and patch the heck out of it and the community support available is unrivaled.
    +1!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post

Apps are coming along. Especially with the 1.35 update. It now really appears that there is going to be some native access for developers, and tied in to that will be GPU access, so the future looks bright!! For now, that apps are suitable, but I am always on my wife's Pre expecting more. I am just expecting to be surprised by some of the apps, like I am on an iPhone, every time I go to the app catalog, but the Pre is not there yet.
    The single reason I chose to pick up an android phone rather than wait for the Pre and Pixi Plus on Verizon was because I hated the Palm keyboard. An all touch WebOS would've sealed the deal for me. I don't care about games as much as a smooth experience. I would've snapped up a touch WebOS phone regardless of cost.
    I would definitely pick the pre
    Let's do this again!
    What do you think you're going to miss the most about the Palm devices?