Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Hardware is fine. THere is a bit of a gap between the two halves on my pre, but it doesnt seem like an issue. Battery life was terrible, but now that I have a touchstone I have never even needed to think about it, it is always well over half full.

There is lag, definitely, but it is hard for me to say where it comes from. My pre is very very heavily modified/patched and I assume that that is the source for much of the lag I have been experiencing. My pre would freeze up on occasion as well, but again, this is due to me overclocking it. The calendar, as of 1.3.5, is really nice and smooth now. I have always felt that WebOS had hte nicest looking calendar of any platform, and now it is nice to be able to have a really smooth experience with it.

- how's the app situation?

Its OK. I am mostly concerned with browsing the web, and the Pre has an excellent browser(unlike certain other smartphones.). Beyond that, there are plenty of apps for twittering/podcasting/newsreading. Games are almost all puzzle games, but thats fine with me since those are my favorites anyway. It will be cool to see if they enable opengl next week at CES.

With regards to web browsing, this was essentially why I bought the Pre over any other phone. The iPhone has a crappy network, all the Android devices at the time had slower processors and no multitouch, and blackberries... well... you know. I think this is where the Pre excels.

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?

multitasking, the fact that I have internet everywhere, the nice screen, just the general smoothness and polish everywhere, "push" gmail.

I had a featurephone before this that I tethered to a Nokia N800. It was absolutely terrible in comparison to the exeperience with the Pre.

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?

Compared to the Tour:
    Web browser. Seriously RIM, get on that.
    Widescreen for videos/landscape browsing.
    Overall elegance of the UI
    Raw power in the device(even if the OS sometimes lags, individual apps still outperform similar ones on less powerful phones)
    Wifi/EVDO
    Touchscreen
    Touchstone charger(great if you make a lot of calls with speakerphone)

The keyboard is nice, but it isnt as good as the one on the Tour or the Bold. Battery life isnt great, and the slider means it doesnt feel as strong as a BB.

Software-wise, there is very little to envy about BBOS, as far as I can tell. Maybe a couple of the apps, some enterprise services, and the desktop software, but generally speaking, it still feels like a glorified pager.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?

Agreed. I want to run WebOS on an HD2. Overall, I prefer the treo/bb form factor, but I would be willing to sacrifice a keyboard for a high res, multitouch, wide screen. I think the Pre is a compromise between the two, and that more or less works for me, but I always feel like I want a bigger/better keyboard or a bigger and better screen. I think the Droid is kind of pointless because it gives you the big screen, but with a terrible keyboard. Why not just get rid of the keyboard on the Droid?
    [QUOTE=mu7efcer;2116880]
    But I wish that I could replace the Memos and Tasks app with one that works better. [QUOTE]

Go get ClassicNote from the Homebrew app catalog. It's been out for about 2 weeks and it is what I would consider the spiritual descendant of the PalmOS memos. Nice clean lists, includes categories, there's even an importer tool the author wrote. I'm very happy with it.
    A few things...

Battery life is no problem for me, but I must stay logged out of IM or else battery becomes an issue...

Speed? Is it usable? Yes. Snappy? No. I came from an iPhone which took a run through my washer. I think I forgot how quick the iPhone was until I got a Touch for Christmas. The touch makes my pre feel Soooo slow. Knowing that the hardware is so similar gives me hope that this will eventually be corrected on the pre however.

Apps... They are mostly lame compared to iPhone. The fact that the Microphone and even the accelerometer are mostly unused on the pre blows my mind. Does anyone else find location services to be rather spotty on the pre? Sometimes I must reboot the phone to get a gps fix rather than just an AGPS cell tower fix.

Hardware, I have no complaints. I like the form factor and find it even holds a little better than the iPhone due to some extra thickness. I do find that when holding it in my left hand my cheek can muffle the microphone. Possibly move the mic opening to the bottom or side in the next iteration?
    - how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?

In comparison to BlackBerry (BB) the Pre is delicate. My phone has a chip in the cover that came about from falling off the couch. My BB Curve woulda just bounced and laughed. Besides that, the phone is holding up fine.

Battery life sucks. But when you compare it to a BB. Battery life REALLY sucks. My Pre with kitted with the Seidio 2600 still only gives me about 24-30 hours of normal (for me) usage. This is bad even in the world of power hungry smartphones.

The phones speed is getting better. I used to get alot of annoying lag, but a fresh WebOS Doctor visit (hard reset) along with 1.3.5 has me liking the speed again.

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?

Coming from WinMo, there aren't enough heavy duty apps to really sink my teeth into. Heck even a tour of the BB app store on my sister's BB Bold had me wanting more. That said there isn't anything that I really pine for besides a Skype app. Everything else is just kinda icing on the cake.

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?

My first smartphone was a Palm Treo 650. I loved that big bubbly thing but started to get tired of the stale OS (in 2005!) and moved to WinMO HTC Apache/Mogul/Touch Pro. By then I was sick of the WinMo stodginess and wanted to try for something new. I love they ease of using the pre. But i miss the amount of customization WinMo (and even PalmOS) had. But when I try to switch back to WinMo, I can't make it stick. I love the fact that I can surf, chat, search and jam all at the same time. WinMo had the capability, but it seemed like it was implemented by a toddler.

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?

BB users will like the clarity of the webbrowser. They might dislike the touch screen (My sister didn't like it) and they will HATE the battery life. BB battery optimization is such that you guys don't have to think about it. I (even with the Seidio 2600) still find myself planning my day/night around the charger. Not acceptable.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?

While I like the full touch screen from of the Pre, the Pixi is a better form factor for this kind of phone. Most of WebOS you can get to by just typing stuff. And the extra second it takes to open the keyboard kinda sucks. Not enough to really detract...but it was enough to make my turncoat sister miss her Black berry. I personally want to see a form factor more like the original treo. Bigger, better battery and a bigger screen than the pixi, but still with a front facing keyboard.

- anything else you think i need to know?!

Probably. But I gotta go
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    - how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?

RESPONSE: Hardware is flawless other than a little plastic piece that serves no purpose underneath the microUSB port which has broke off. Daily use is better than anyother phone or music player I've owned as I currently use it for both due to the amount of free music programs available. The Pre has gotten snappier in every update except 1.3.1 which 1.3.5 fixed. and it is now snappier than it was prior to 1.3.1. My battery lasts days if it's not being used, 8-10 hours of general use and phone calls or half that for continuous web surfing or other heavy use. 1.3.5 is said to have improved battery life but I do not yet know by how much.

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?

RESPONSE: The apps are currently lacking as it is a new OS, I have been able to find apps for most things (i.e. there is really good translator, conversion, tracking, transit, event finder, et cetera apps) the daily use apps are definitely in place for the most part especially if you include homebrew. There are still more apps I would like to see in the future and more advanced apps as well but with the age of the device I think it's doing well and Ares should significantly increase the number and quality of available apps.

RESPONSE: I'm loving that it's essentially a netbook. Unlike the other phones I tried prior to purchasing the Pre it actually has the feel of using a tiny computer and has continued to improve every couple months with updates also like a computer.

RESPONSE: They might like their e-mail not having blackouts? I'm not a huge blackberry user but WebOS and the Pre in general is much faster in boot up and restart. The overrall use is faster and simpler especially for business use as you can have and read multiple applications at once. They may not like that it isn't a blackberry so lacks the corporate backing... I consider it like comparing a movie to powerpoint yeah the movie is obviously better but businesses all still support powerpoint...

RESPONSE: The Pre and the Pixi are definitely excellent first attempts. I would like to see a webos device made of the unheard of glass and metal instead of completely plastic... even if they simply put a really thin titanium casing on it like my camera has I would be much happier. A larger display may be nice but I also like the smaller display because the entire phone is palm sized... so it isn't a hassle at all you don't need a belt clip or anything as it's quite comfortable slipped into any size pocket. I would actually like
    like to see a non slider Pre though, personally I bought the Pre partially for it's physical keyboard as I'm sure many did but I know many people who don't even consider the keyboard important and are entirely fine with virtual keyboards so I think a thinner model with a virtual keyboard might draw more users who either don't mind or love the iPhone style but hate the network it's on.

RESPONSE: I've had a Pre since the week it was released.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    battery usage is a big factor for me since its my first smartphone. but from what i've read all smart phones go through their charge in one day even with minimal use. i just have to carry a charger wherever i go.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Kevin, thanks for taking webOS out for a spin. Hopefully you'll find it both educational and entertaining. My answers are below each of your questions in blue

The hardware is holding up just fine so far. The battery life is dismal compared to my Treo 700. The speed is fine, but faster is always better. I updated to 1.3.5 and it does seem better in some cases.

I'm with you on the app situation re the overall quantity. I'm still fairly new to the Pre, only around a month, so I'm still sorting out how well my needs are addressed. Some things I haven't been able to work out yet that I used a LOT with my Treo. A good example is the Palm OS USB Modem app that saved me much $$ in hotel Internet access charges. I've tried using the MyTether HomeBrew app, which comes highly rated, but I haven't yet managed to make it work, so at this point I'm still dealing with learning curve issues for some apps.

I love the potential for ease of development, and wide array of apps. With the power of the CPU and GPU there is so much that could be done to make this a killer device.

I have two daughters who recently migrated from Palm Centro to Blackberry Curve. For their purposes the Centro offered far more smartphone features than they needed. The Curve addresses their main uses--phone, SMS messaging, email, and access to Facebook, etc. I don't know if webOS can do much to attract the core Blackberry users. What it can do is offer an alternative for folks who want to go beyond the things Blackberry does well, folks like me who really want the full smartphone experience. One thing I think the Blackberry users won't like is the keyboard. Coming from a Treo I'm used to it, but it's definitely a change from the Blackberry platform.

The Pre form factor is great for me--the size of the Treo made it cumbersome at times. However, I do agree with you on the potential with a bigger display. To me that's the main attraction of webOS, seeing it on a variety of platforms, which will lead to a broader user and development community and more/better apps in the end.

I think to really evaluate webOS you have to give it at least a year, and hopefully a couple of other carriers. Once that is achieved we will really have better sense of what can be done with the platform.
    "Yes, yes, I know that, Sidney....everybody knows that!
    But look: four wrongs squared minus two wrongs to the fourth power, divided by this formula, do make a right."

-- "The Far Side", by Gary Larsen
    i think ppl almost covered everything just one point though
    straight out of the box this phone is very limited and can be very annoying. once you start patching its nice.
    its not snappy at all and i envy the iphone for that.
    Kevin, I'm very curious if the Pixi might come in 2nd in fulfilling your hierarchy of smartphone needs? It seems to be (along with the 9700 obviously) the closest thing to the experience of the mythical Magnum no?
    I've been happy with the pre so far...sure it has some drawbacks (seems to lag a bit after a while, no flash...yet, no video recording...yet, crappy battery life, & no desktop sync...without an extra app that is) but overall it's a great phone. The number of apps doesn't bother me b/c between the app catalog and homebrew it has everything I need. And since it is a nrather new device I understand it's not going to be perfect and I'm happy to know that they are at least workingto improve it.
    Hope your enjoying your time with WebOS. Im not sure it will make you want to buy one, but it definately leaves alot to be desired.

these are my answers to your questions.

- went from pre, to pixi, back to my original pre. Love them both, and never had the misfortune of having to exchange either of them. My pre has the oreo effect, but it doesnt affect the function of the phone, so i have no problems with it. Battery hasnt been an issue for me. I use the phone somewhat heavily, and its usually on its last leg by the time i go to bed, but thats the same story with every smartphone ive owned. The phone will slow down sometimes, but i dont find unbearable. 1.3.5 seems to have helped my pre, and definately helped the pixi.

-Apps are ok, granted, its not the graphic rich apps you see on the iphone, but a large number of the apps show the hard work of developers. Ive payed for about 30 apps, and only regretted maybe 2 or 3. hopefully palm will release a better SDK after CES.

-Love the synergy, multitasking, and gestures. I still find my self trying to swipe the bottom of the screen on my itouch. The UI is beautiful and simple. I arrived to the pre after owning a treo pro, a centro, and a tungsten C, plus several other older Palm PDAs. loved all the devices, but WinMo on the treo pro was rather bland, and i wanted to see what webos was like. Glad i upgraded.

-i think BB users will love the synergy, multitasking, and gestures, multitouch net browser, and Exchange support. They also may not like the Exchange support, since its been hit or miss with several users. WebOS currently lacks the amount of settings that BB users have, so they may not like that. BBs usually have awesome keyboards, and the pre's keyboard is cramped for some. I think the pixi's however is alot better than the pre's.

-the two form factors are great. i actually like the Pixi's factor better, but if i owned a sliding keyboard phone, it would be the Pre's kind. Ive gotten really good at typing one handed with it. Id like to see a larger screen slab of a phone, with or without a phys keyboard. id also find WebOS on a netbook or tablet quite interesting.

-Preware and the guys over at webos-internalz are awesome, as well as all of the official and homebrew app developers. WebOS is young, but the developer community has done phenomenal work at making this OS much more appealing.

Enjoy your time with WebOS, looking forward to your review.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Hows the office apps on WebOS vs BB?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    Daily use is good, the hardware is holding up fine on my Pre. Battery life isn't so good, but seems to improve with most monthly OS updates, so we are getting there. There is also lag, but once again, most monthly OS updates seem to be nibbling away at that.

That situation is bad. The SDK is quite limited, so we can't get a lot of the complex apps I'd like to have, like a good RDP client.

Multitasking! Gestures! LOVE those.

I love the Pre. It fits great in my hand and pocket. The pixie is a nice alternative for those who don't need the screen real-estate of a slider. Hopefully Palm will additionally come out both with a horizontal slider, and a tablet (HD2-style) to complete the form factor grouping, so everyone has one to suit their needs.
    What do the (non-supported) tethering options look like?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Love the existing Pre form-factor. If anything, I would like to see a more fat fingers-friendly keyboard.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    - how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up?
    I own a Pre and am still on my first one. Hardware wise I really like the thing. I do wish the camera hardware was more advance (supporting zoom & autofocus), but it takes decent pics nonetheless. I would concur with the comments on battery life (not great) and general speed improvements as new OS updates have been released. The GPS has been great and the Touchstone is truly innovative! I think that the lack of memory expansion was a business decision that Palm had to make . . . but I do miss that capability.

- how's the app situation?
    I think the app situation is actually pretty good considering the age of this platform. I've become an app developer because of this platform. I've been a smartphone user since 2002 and never thought I'd be a developer! I think the quality and quantity of apps available will continue to improve. I know that developers will do their part, but the real burden is on Palm to continue to speedily move this platform towards maturity.

As usable and innovative as this phone & platform are, I'd be enjoying it a lot less if it weren't for the folks at WebOSInternals and their counterparts. There are so many patches that have increased the usability of this device by an order of magnitude. Palm occasionally incorporates some of these (like message forwarding) and but still has to resolve big issues like recording audio & video (did both on my old Treo 700P) to continue to broaden its appeal. I really miss not being able to record phone calls!

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos?
    I've been a Palm/Handspring user since 2002 (Treo 270) and remember the excitement I felt when that device was first introduced. The Pre is the first device/platform that has inspired that feeling since. I think that says a lot given how crowded the mobile space is these days. As many have said before me, the multi-tasking, notifications and gestures are unmatched. I had partial multi-tasking on my old Treos (600 & 700p) in that I could listen to music and do other things or access another app while on the phone. But WebOS really takes it to another level. Sometimes I open an app by mistake and can swipe it closed it before it's finished opening! I haven't seen functionality like that on any other platform (mobile or desktop).

I think most BB users will appreciate hardware that's not typically found in blackberrys (accelerometer, touchscreen, proximity sensors). It's been a few years since I used a blackberry and remember its "single mindedness". It was rugged and great for email, but had an OS less advanced than the original Palm Pilot. I think moving to a touch screen based OS, that multi-tasks is a real paradigm shift, but the intuitive nature of WebOS can greatly ease that transition. I also think that the intelligent approach to notifications would be refreshing to BB users. The better web browser wouldn't go without notice either.

I know many blackberry users love their BB Messaging and would miss that feature. I think enterprises that have invested in BES servers would ultimately not deploy Palm devices to their users. I also think (and this is mostly speculative) that many ordinary blackberry users (i.e. ones that never used one in an enterprise) haven't used other smartphone platforms and might be wowed by the more advanced operating systems on the market.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi?
    I have a Pre and wasn't crazy about having a slider, though Palm did it pretty well. I prefer the Pre's larger screen over the Pixi, but would love to see a Pixi form factor with a larger screen and better hardware. I really like that the Pixi doesn't have that useless button on the face of it. I think the flexible nature of WebOS means that we'll likely see additional form factors as time goes on. I would prefer a bigger screen, especially if more advanced games are developed.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Round Robin entry!
    shameless contest entry
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, there is no flashing red light on the Pre. I forgot about that.

I cant stand that damn light. Whenever someone leaves a blackberry in the room at night that thing just annoys the hell out of me. Any phone with a flashing red light is just asking to be thrown really hard against the wall.

The white notification light on the Pre is much more subtle, and you have to hack the Pre to enable it anyway, so it isn't so ubiquitous.
    I used to have a Blackberry 7100t. My very first and very last Blackberry of its kind for me. There was no other phone I would ever choose apart from the Blackberry 7100t at the time. Man . . . thinking about it now gives me the chills.

The track wheel on the side of the phone that made things so easy with one hand!
    Scroll . . . Scroll . . . CLICK!
    BAM
    There you were checking insignificant emails your girlfriend sent you.
    [You've received an eCard from ::honeyBUNNY::]

But the best part: since you knew she was seen you that night, you made sure that Blackberry's SureType Technology was put to the test by responding in seconds,
    but
    Instead of sending words, you sent paragraphs!
    Seeing the whole TEXTING BOOM flash before my eyes had me hooed.
    It was a drug.

The Speaker was perfect.
    Not only did it look bad-***, it had a mean-*** sound!

I miss those keys!
    Comfortable . . . so damn comfortable.

To be honest, the Blackberry 7100t spoiled me for life. The only other phone that had an appeal to my naked eye, and whom planted a seed to grow love for Palm products, was the Palm Treos. I saw how their technology, their OS, flowed and responded crazy fresh!

The Palm Treos had applications that blew the Blackberry's 7100t's applications to space. Never ever did they come back to earth (till this day).

The migration began.
    I said bye to my Blackberry7100t forever and said hello to Palm, the Treo700p.

But Today

I own a Palm Pre.

So far . . . having it for these past few months . . . I began to realize that the Palm Pre is my NEW Blackberry7100t.

I'm in Love with it.
    Even if she's not perfect.
    Or if she feels a little fake on the touch.
    But I know,
    Inside . . . you're an ice cold glass of Beer!

Sparkling Delicious!

"Roxan, you don't have to wear that dress tonight!
    Roxan . . . put on the red light
    Roxan . . . put on the red light"