Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    So some questions:

- how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?

well for hardware, my pre has gone through some rough times.. i am on my 3rd one and the oreo is there, some minor screen scratches, and the charging door is gone. the lag for the most part has gone away, as i have noticed since the latest 1.3.5 update. i never have a problem with my battery.

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?

apps so far are great, i think i use tweed the most for fun. if your a pre/pixi owner you should really look into getting Preware from this forum, as it opens tons of doors for the devices. i will say though, as an early adapter (day 1) to the phone, i expected them to take a while to get a lot of good apps out there. and its been around 6 months or so and we're starting to see some good ones with the available SDK. Paratrooper is a great time passer, my brother and i will send each other screen captures of the high scores we get to see if we can beat each other. also there are some good work out apps that keep you well informed on your workout

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?

coming from windows mobile, all i can say is WOW... sure i could pretty much customize and flash any type of rom to my old HTC Touch but it was the slowest P.O.S. i ever used... its a shame too because HTC made some great software but u cant hid windows mobile... I love the fact that Palm is so in touch with thier users, i feel like they fix problems on a monthly basis and actually listen to us. Windows didnt even allow me to have picture mail, i mean really?!? PICTURE MAIL?! COME ON... webOS is great, they opened the gates for synergy and now we get to see other manufactures implement similar ways to pull in data from other services.

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?

my girl has a blackberry and she is getting pretty fed up with the web browsing. Although blackberry is supposed to be adding a webkit based browser(so i have read) and flash to their devices, she cant even get on some simple java based websites without it looking pretty deformed. she always asks to use my Pre to get on the web. Another great thing is that you dont have to give up push email. I have Gmail set up and i know its not the best email app in the world, it gets the job done. I rarely ever have any issues with it and most of the time my phone will go off before my desktop mail client does.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?

as a pre owner, i liek the form factor. i think it was a good idea to introduce webOS on a distinctive slider like they did. in the futre, a bigger screen would be great, but then we're talking about having a physical keyboard as well, which palm has said they dont want on on screen keyboard. Also, the keyboard could be better, and if your coming from a blackberry, you WILL notice. not to hard to get use to though.

- anything else you think i need to know?!

just remember that your going to be using a device thats only been out for about 6 months or so, so it will have some bugs.. Palm does a great job of fixing things and the User base is great, the forums here have helped me plenty of times if i have had any questions. Its pretty easy to get on the forums right from your pre too!
    So Kevin, how is WebOS treating you? And what are your pro's & con's with both devices?
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Our Pres our holding up well. Both goin' strong since July 09!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    - how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?

I have the Pixi and my wife has the Pre. The hardware is holding up very nicely. The Pixi seems to really take a beating, the Pre can be temperamental so it's better to keep it in a case. The touch screen on the Pixi seemed to scratch easy. After a month of heavy use I had scratches that came from using my fingernail (which you had to on the old Palm Devices Webos perfers you to use your finger.)

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?

Nope on the quality, and the needs. The apps all look nice but the catalog lacks depth. No great tools (like I had on my WinMob treo 850). Really I had more usefull apps on my old 755p. Most the apps are entirely useless and many are just an application for picture. I think I have almost every app worth having loaded on my pixi now and I would say it's probably less than 50 without duplicates.

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?

I love the style. Everything looks good on these phones. Even the old style apps look fresh and new. I like how the apps work on both screen sizes. So I may have to scroll down on my pixi but they still fit. I love having all my stuff from my work, gmail, and facebook together.

I have carried a Palm device for some time now and for a while I actually had to switch to a WinMob device because Palm had nothing new to offer. I always loved Palms quality. So when WebOS came out I jumped for it.

It's not as "glitchy" as WinMob but it still lacks in games and quality apps. Often I would get mad at my WinMob phone, throw it in a drawer and forget about it for a few hours. (I work off of my cellphone) I wanted it to be a pleasure to use not a chore. WebOS gave me what I loved with my old PalmOS device: ease of use, but power when needed (Like a good luxury car).

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?
    (this is probably without the Storm 2 because I don't know it's abillities but I'm sure with it on a single career and the Curve being an extremely popular device it only makes up a very small percent of BB users)
    Blackberry users will probably love not dealing with Blackberry the most. Changing from one Blackberry to another can be a major pain and usually requires you to call in for them to do the change so you can get your e-mail (if you forget your password) Also your e-mail works as long as the service is working. No service books or BIS to mess with. Most BB users will like the touch screen (seeing the average BB user has never had one.) It gives freedom of movement. It's also much easier to use, with less menus and the ability to see all open task easily. No profiles to set, just hit the switch when you want it quite. Also the integration of Facebook is really a plus. Full threaded messaging and full HTML web pages (with zoom) also are extremely nice. I would probably say moving from a Curve to the Pixi would probably be a very natural transition. They work very similar but the Pixi does give a more Techy feeling to the consumer. Also much larger screens.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?

Ok, the Pixi looks great but it can be a bit laggy (especially when getting a new e-mail. I'm not a fan of the Pre's form factor. I don't like the slide (moving parts always cause problems) and I find it hard to type since the keypad is sunk in. I like the way it looks siting on a desk or in the hand, but I don't like the way it feels in every day use. The Pixi feels more natural. I do really like the form of the Pixi and really don't have any problems with it besides the girly name they picked for it. I've met more guys with the Pixi than girls. In the future I want to see a slab phone (basically the Pixi souped up on the inside and the screen stretched to the bottom.) I would buy it in a heartbeat. It would also need Wifi, like the Pre (and video recording, unlike the Pre) and 16-32 gigs of storage. Call it the Pre2 and they are good to go.

Good luck, hopefully your spend the time to make it your own and appreciate everything the phones have to offer.

Hardware is good. I've had my Pre since day 1. Daily use is great. Feels good in my pocket since its small. Battery life is getting better after 1.3.5. Like most smartphones the battery could be better but i use my Pre a lot. Speed is good. Lags sometimes with intensive apps.

Apps are getting better. For what I use it for its great. I am not really a gamer so I like the business and personal apps. Homebrews are the coolest. They really fill in the gaps tremendously.

The cards are the best. Multiple apps running in the background are what phones should all have. The Synergy and notifications are great. The best part about the phone in my opinion.

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like? Notifications! Notifications! Notifications!

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)? I like the Pre. Having WiFi is a must in cell phones today! The slider doesn't bother me too much but if the Pixi had Wifi I would maybe reconsider. But the resolution on the Pre is better than the Pixi.

Preware is a MUST! These guys have given the ability to add needed patches that enhance the Pre's abilities. DrProdder is a must for podcast. ShoutCast is great. I am listening to Shoutcast right now. Switcharoo is a great app. Music Remix is a MUST as well.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

The hardware is doing fine. Use it all the time for email, calendar, and web. Battery life is fair in that it does last the business day, but had a Centro before and it only lasted a whole day. Speed it OK for me. I can normally wait a second to do what I need to do.

Apps are OK for me. There are a few games there for if I need to kill a little time. I could probably find more apps if I was to use HomeBrew apps but I haven't yet. Wish there was a better database like MobileDB and a good office product for Word and Excel.

I love having more than one card open at a time. Always have at least the calendar and email open. Sometimes have 4-5 cards open a time.

Should love mutiple cards/apps open at one time. Screen that you can zoom on with ease. May not like limited selection of apps in the app catalog.

Love the Pre with the larger display and full keyboard that is hidden until it is needed. pixi would be a nice upgrade for most Centro style users. Next device: faster, a great camera, maybe a little larger display, maybe more memory for running more cards at a time. I really like the overall size of the Pre and wouldn't want it changed much if it caused the size to change much.

Have used a BB for work off and on and find the way around the Pre much easier than the BB. Can't think of anything the BB did that was nicer than the Pre from email to navigation to display quality.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    1.3.5 has done great things for my battery.

I love everything else about it and when I compare it to an iphone the only thing I see not as good is the smoothness of operation. All of the apple apps and what not that open, close, move, fade etc. seem to be more refined and a little more "smooth (fluid?)." In anycase I think the pro's out weigh the con's in regards to the iphone which have all already been listed...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    thrilled with 135. On 3rd Pre. Sprint has been good on replacing with few questions. I have both Pre & Pixi. Both have been been more fun than expected... Especially now no goofy limit on apps.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts

The Pre hardware has been holding up well. I don't have any screen protector or case. I just carry around in my pocket. Other than one dead pixel the phone is in as good condition now as when I purchased it July. I use WIFI when I can at home or in the office, so battery life is not bad. I also have a touchstone at both locations, so I normally make it through the day. Traveling with the Pre is more difficult. There is no way of making through a full day. I purchased an extra battery and charger for the road.

Until the 1.3.5 release speed was borderline, but all is snappy now.

I have most of the apps that I really need. The one thing missing from my PalmOS days is an outliner application. I also wish I had something to sync with a desktop task management application like Omnifocus. I am not into games at all.

I love he way that the ActiveSync mail and calendar events are linked to the contact information. ActiveSync is the killer app for me that I did not have with my earlier Treos, and WebOS does the best job of linking that with other things.

The integration between ActiveSync and Synergy is nice. If you are paying for the data plan the Palm devices are cheaper. Blackberry users will probably be disappointed with the lack of desktop integration with the WebOS

I don't like either form factor. I hate the Pre slider and both of the screens and keyboards are way too small. I want to see something more in lines of the Blackberry Bold form factor -- minus the buttons and with a bigger screen.

I think the WebOS is really optimized for PIM type functions. I hope Palm continues to enhance the PIM capabilites with a nice Task Manager/Outliner. WebOS has the potential to take the business smartphone crown from Blackberry, but I sometimes wonder if Palm is targeting that market -- or the teen market.

My Pre is even better than before now with 1.3.5 out, it's far more responsive that the day I first got it. Daily use is great, I use it to read news and check email first thing in the morning, all goes off without a hitch, I'll even jump into Preware and check for app updates if I feel the need. Battery life is still a bit of a pitfall, but it's by no means unusable. With my browsing and texting habits, my phone easily lasts until the evening when I go to bed and put the phone on the touchstone.

Like almost everyone early app store it has started by being flooded with junk and a few gems here and there. But for right now it has plenty of room to grow. Foursquare goala (sp) etc etc would be awesome to see on there.

The ease of use, the smooth transitions between apps and overall aesthetics are what really appealed to me in the device. Before I was using a Samsung Instinct, which now belongs to my fiance. While the visual voicemail can be missed I'm sure anyone can see the reasons to why I switched. (not to mention there's a visual voicemail app now anyway!)

I would say they would love the intuitive flow of the OS the most over the more cumbersome menu's of BB. I got to play with my brothers BB Tour that his work gave to him. It was pretty cool once you learn how to get to a few things. They probably won't like the limited app pool at this time, or possibly the feel of the hardware, some tend to think it feels frail in some areas, and some are justifiably entitled to such an opinion.

I think I do prefer the form of the Pre over the Pixi, I'm just not into candybar style phones, personal preference. I love the sliding keyboard and honestly I have no problems typing with it despite that I have large fingers. The Pixi is a neat phone for what it does though. If I had to improve either one, it would just be improving the quality of the materials used to protect the guts of the phone, I know personally I would like to see a glass screen on the Pre, along with a more solid casing, hell make a brushed aluminum casing for this thing and I'll buy it in the heartbeat!

Keep an eye on Palm during CES, I can guarentee something awesome is going down!
    are you a preoholic yet?
    I have messed around with my dads blackberry curve and can see why many people enjoy the bb experience..

HAVE HAD MY PRe SINCE 06/06/09 on #4 but i physically broke the others on accident GO INSURANCE!!!

I like my palm pre and enjoy the flipping between cards doing multiple things with easy to switch between them, my previous smartphone was an htc sprint touch,aka the vogue...it was a great first smartphone, i learned alittle about bootleg apps and such...well anyway speaking of apps that is my ONE HUGE gripe about webOS...the lack of IPHONE quality apps and gaming appps,, now from what i have learned from precentral is that WEBos is capable of IPHONE top notch apps(mostly games) and I hope the launch of the offical NON-BETA appstore is step to those top notch apps...i guess the business end of WEBos could be done up a little better but for the most part this is more of an entertainment smartphone than a business smartphone which it can and will be both!!!!1!
    webos is no iphoneOS but it easily beats out blackberry and android
    Last edited by bryanjfaber; 12/30/2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: date
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    I'm pretty frustrated with the Pre. I've had it since launch day and the speed is killing me. The most recent 1.3.5 update addressed one of my speed concerns: calendar. But as for general lagginess, I've found it to be marginally better. But not anywhere near enough.

Battery life is still poor. I still can't get through a day. When I can do that, battery life will be acceptable.

Hardware: I'm on Pre #5 since launch day (June 6). This one seems to be the best of the lot.
    Apps are a mixed bag. Personally, I find the twitter apps on the Pre to be better than any twitter app on any other platform that I've used. I'm partial to Twee, but also like Tweed and Spaz.

As for other apps, there are a few that are indispensible: Pandora, RadioTime & gDial Pro come to mind. Also the homebrew flashlight app that turns on the LED flash is really quite useful.

But I wish that I could replace the Memos and Tasks app with one that works better. Notes and Astrid come to mind from the android market. Homebrew Cow Tasks may get there at some point.
    Primarily the interface. It's beautiful. Love the real web browser.
    I had a Curve 8300 when it first came out. So I'm not very current on how the OS works/looks. But what I like in the pre over the blackberry is the web browser and HTML rendering in email. What I like for the blackberry over WebOS is the calendar app.
    My son has a pixi. If it had Wifi, I'd probably prefer it over the Pre. Form factor is really nice.
    Yes. If Palm doesn't fix the speed issues by June 6 (when I am elegible for another sprint premier upgrade) I will almost certainly be switching to another platform. If by some miracle the iPhone were on sprint by that time, I think that'd be my first choice. Barring that, Android would be next in line.

The speed problem makes this phone almost unusable at times. It prevents me from answering incoming calls because the OS is too non-responsive. I've had to enable a workaround so that I don't send so many calls to voicemail.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    another try

I love my Pre. I'ts my first smart phone and have owned for a little over a month now. I've had no issues with the hardware. I have a Skinomi film protecting the screen and a Seidio case protecting the rest. The battery life sucks. I am always bringing my usb cable to work with me so I can actually use the phone during the day. That's not new information though. Everyone gripes about the battery life. The speed is fantastic. Only times I have issues with it is when I'm running a bunch of homebrew apps at one time.

I'm not an app person simply because the good ones you have to pay for and I'm a miser. My favorite Homebrew app right now is drPodder so I can listen to my podcasts while at work. Good stuff.

As I stated before, this is my first smart phone. I'd been looking to buy one fore about a year before I settled on it. I absolutely am in love with the multi-tasking AND that I don't have to be on the AT&T fail network to use it.

I think they will love the multi-tasking capabilities and the email. Currently, I have five accounts linked to my Pre all ranging from POP to EAS and have experienced no problems with syncing. I also think the BB users will love the interface. Having a hardware keyboard (and software as well if you install the patch) and a touchscreen is just awesome.

If I could take the keypad from the Pixi and put it on the Pre it would be perfect. The Pre keypad isn't bad, just not as good as the Pixi's imho. The Pixi is definitely for those that don't want much from a phone though as the screen is smaller and not as powerful.

Get your hands on PreWare and play with the Homebrew apps, patches, and themes. It's really the only way to truly enjoy the WebOS and I thank Palm for allowing us to use it.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Battery won't last, carry a charger with you at all times if you plan to use it frequently. Phones lags at times but other times its just fine.

Since webos is new, apps seems to be coming along just fine, however i'm glad the app limit is over for now, it really sucked.

When i saw it announced, right away told my girlfriend and we bought one in june. Love the multiple tasking and layout of it compared to the older palm systems

Multi tasking. Won't like that the phone lacks features of a smarthphone that it should already have (recorder/video/sync task/notes easier, etc...)

I agree on bigger display, but like the pre better then pixi, however my girl differs.

Just play with it yourself and see how you like it, everyone has their own opinion.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Pre wee
    Hey Kevin.
    First, I have to say that I love these Round Robin reviews! I have learned a ton about the other platforms out there. Itís always good to see people out of their comfort zones, and this really allows everyone to see the major strengths and weaknesses of each platform, allowing those who may be debating which way to go with a great tool to make an educated decision. Plus, it brings webOS to many more eyes, which is a plus for me!
    Now onto your questionsÖ

First, let me just say that I absolutely love my pre. It is the easiest phone I have ever used, I love the form factor, and it is one of the most attractive devices out there. However, I do have some gripes about the hardware. I went through 3 phones due to pretty severe quality issues, and finally landed on my current device, which Iíve had since August. The ďoreo twistĒ is something that Iíve come to terms with as unavoidable, so I can tolerate it. The gap between the screen and the back is much too wide, and causes it to feel very far from solid. Also, the silver coating to the button in the gesture area and on the headphone is starting to chip off.
    The screen is gorgeous, as are the fonts and the icons sprint chose to use, and the day to day use is excellent and insanely easy and fun to work with. While the battery is alive that is. Iím a moderate to heavy user, depending on the day, and I canít make it through the day without charging it somewhere (Touchstones in the car and at my desk. Another big plus). That definitely needs improvement.
    It is a bit slower than I would like, and there is some definite lag, such as when scrolling between pages in the launcher, but itís really nothing that I can deal with. Especially now that 1.3.5 has smoothed out the browser scrolling a ton.

Iím probably in the vast minority here, but apps are not really that important to me. Donít get me wrong, LOVE Pandora, Sprint Nav, Where, etc, but I have a ton of patience when it comes to the app store. There are a few that Iím waiting for, but for the most part, the only reason I want more and better apps badly is to bring more users to the platform.

As I said, this phone is just so easy to use, and sooo much fun. The in-your-face multi-tasking is fantastic, and I really canít see myself being satisfied with any other treatment. The gesture area makes so much sense that I canít believe other platforms havenít thought of it before. Itís one of those things where you donít know how obvious it is until itís in front of you. Also, the small touches, such as being able to toggle between evdo and wifi at any time by swiping the upper right corner are so useful. Also, unlike abhinandanjain, I absolutely love the fact that tweaking your phone is so easy. I donít have much programming experience, but, thanks to precentral and webos-internals, I was able to root into my phone and change a great deal of the OS to my liking. Now, with Quick Install and Preware, it is easier than ever to customize your pre any way you want to. I knew this was the phone I was getting when it was announced. I bought up some Palm stock, which was nice, and I was 13th in line to get the pre when Pre-Day arrived.

What I know about Crackberries is that the email client is fantastic. Thatís really about it, and Iím quite sure that it beats out the current email on the pre. However, that being said, Palm has a long road ahead of them, and Iím sure improving the email experience will be vital if they plan to succeed in the business market. So Iím sure that BB users would miss that. Other than that I canít really speak as to what they would not like. Iíll have to look forward to your review to figure that out.

As I said earlier, I love the Pre form factor. The vertical slider has me hooked, and it just feels great in my hand. I would like to see a more solid build, with perhaps some better quality materials. That and the obligatory huge screen, Snapdragon processor, etc, requests. The Pixi isnít really my cup of tea, although I can see its appeal. That screen is just way to small for my needs.
    I knew what I was getting into being an early adopter, but Palm, IMHO, is heading in the right direction, and aside from the hardware woes, I really canít see how webOS doesnít improve beyond any other platforms out there. My two cents.
    Greetings Mobile Accomplishers!

on my first pre. hardware is fine. usb door is flimsy. never had oreo. not enough travel in the keyboard. camera's good for a phone but sucks at night. Which is often when i want to take pics. Battery life is horrible. It's really becoming a problem. Speed wise i'll be honest i just upgraded to 1.3.5 and i can't notice speed increases but since i've updated i haven't yet had any speed problems either. the app loading lag though is very noticable. i know why that is but that's up to palm to solve not cause i care about it working right not why it's not snappy.

- how's the app situation?
    Bad. The apps they release are not apps i'd ever be interested in. most apps i got a launch. I've yet to pay for an app. no game apps. i expected closer to itunes one stop shopping not to have to homebrew. That said i used ampache pre and music remix. oh some of Palms own apps like the music player just suck. It lacks tons of features. Given the success of ipods and music you'd a top notch music player would be a no brainer. same goes for video player. Lag loading apps too. Not seeing many mainstream companies release apps too mostly novelty apps. I have itunes and went through the app store and there are countless good free apps that i'd use and download and a ton of paid apps and games i'd buy. WebOS isn't close to that. And though the apple app store is criticized for quantity and not quality i've found a lot more quality there and the Palm App Catalog full of low quality or downright spam apps. Whenever apps are brought up they talk of the sdk. that's fine but i'm a consumer not a developer. I don't care about the explanation. I don't care why there's no apps. I care that there are no apps.

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)? the interface looks great. it's pretty intuitive. WebOS is the biggest strength of palm. I think it's weakness is lack of cash and poor management decisions when it comes to focus and marketing. Example, given the popularity of facebook and listening to music in a key demographic, people under 25, it seems boneheaded to me to launch with no facebook app and to not have a top notch one at this stage not to mention the, as mentioned mediocre music player. I put that on management cause it should have been a priority. oh love the intuitiveness of switching programs and closing programs

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like? i think they may like the intuitiveness of switching and closing programs. I'm curious to see their opinions on email and notifications which again to me are blackberry strengths and i think no brainers that should have been met. When we decided to make a phone i'd have said list everything blackberry can do with email. And my email would do every single one. That would have been a top priority. for launch.

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? pixi form factor isn't for me. i never had or wanted a centro. i'd rather have a horizontal slider ala the touchpro then the current vertical one. They need to release a keyboardless even more direct iphone competitor.

what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?
    1. keyboardless all touch screen, looks like a palm pre but thinner
    2. horizontal slider
    3. don't care

screen size? not a factor to me. in terms of size it just has to be big enough and it is. And i don't care about glass or plastic. i never noticed. oh and i like a small phone so i don't want it huge. Especially since the music player can't replace my ipod i still have to carry that in my pocket so bigger phone just makes bulging pockets worse.

Final thoughts. I like my pre i don't love it. I'm not a phone enthusiast either. I'd like to never have to patch the thing. I loathe the patch, unistall, update, repatch stuff. I'm more of a regular phone user. i rarely join these sorts of tech product dedicated sites. And i think it's telling that i still post. It's that issues continue to come up on the phone and homebrew is still needed cause Palm has not addressed some things. There are lots of things about my Pre that disappoint me. The media thing is huge. for me. the lack of apps and the battery life are all things strongly pushing me away from a palm phone. I came to pre because i thought i must have a physical keyboard. But palm's keyboards lack the travel i like so i can do w/o that. And i didn't want an iphone. Now i realize i do want apps though and i really like my ipod. So at the moment every phone maker is very much in the runningto be my next phone. Blackberries are probably the least likely cause sorry the os is ugly and i must have a touch screen. Android and a new iphone version are clear frontrunners for me.

saw your round robin video on crackberry.com had a comment. i'd disagree with Dieter on one point. the just keep the same phone and get it on other carriers. i think the danger is i think new iphones being released on multiple platforms which could come later this year. I think palm can't rest on it's laurels because others are innovating and their products already provided some significant features that palm's don't. And i still don't get the whole pixi thing. But i think the issues palm has are imminently fixable. I just question Palms ability and whether it is always focusing on the right thing. Like it's find to screw with apple over itunes but Palm should have been making it's own itunes clone. Maybe they don't see that as part of the whole package of why iphones do so well. i do though.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 12/30/2009 at 03:26 PM.
    Greetings Mobile Accomplishers!

So some questions:

Mine and my wife's Pres are in good shape. I know a couple people who have them and are happy and one guy who went through three.

I don't see the lag other people have complained about. The biggest lag generator appears to be Exchange accounts. I have 2 google accounts (with calendars), a hotmail account, a separate POP email account, and the Palm Profile calendar and my calendar and email tend to open in 2-3 seconds.

With homebrew. I'd be a bit put out if I was limited to the official app store but fortunately Palm is 3rd-party friendly. My wife lives for themes, I like functional applications. (Shout out to QuickEvent, Agenda, Preader, DrPodder, MusicRemix, Precorder and ClassicNote)

BTW, if you don't go play with WebOS Quick Install and PreWare you will be neglecting a large portion of what the Pre can truly offer.

I came up through the ranks of Visor->Treo 600->Centro. My wife had a corporate blackberry that didn't get signal at our house (or one of her three stores) and relied on a Palm Zire.

I was happy with the functionality of PalmOS but it was definitely long in the tooth. The overall look of it was just dated. It made me think of a truck; it worked but it wasn't pretty.

PalmOS loses a couple of power-user features but overall I can do more. Man, I love the multitasking. And the pretty. PalmOS was really lacking in Pretty.

A big chunk of my continued love is that the platform is developing. The WebOS I have today is significantly improved from the WebOS my phone came with. And since there is an active "amateur" development community the improvements are often coming from multiple directions.

They would love the "synergy" approach to contacts and the "cloud" link. They will probably hate that support for categories is lacking in calendars, tasks and memos (unless you switch to ClassicNote). Palm dropped that because Exchange and Google don't support them.

Oh, and battery life. The cloud sucks power from phones. I went to the 2600MaH Seido battery. Now I've got at least 2 days of battery even at my heavy usage (~3GB data transfer over EVDO/month) and up to 4 if I don't sit reading ebooks or playing solitaire for hours.

Bigger display is nice if it is still manageable. I think the droid is at the edge of "maximum bigness" but I haven't had the opportunity to put it in my shirt pocket yet. Or seen how the battery life does.

I like the portrait profile because it's more comfortable for thumb typing. The larger sliding landscape keyboards don't feel as secure in my hands when I type.

Once you think you're almost done with your review, get the homebrew stuff. It's a major jump in features. I recommend adding these patches (in order of importance):

notification LED
    unthrottle download manager
    app launcher 4x4 or 5x4 icons
    add/delete pages in launcher
    virtual keyboard
    battery percentage
    date/time display
    new card per MMS conversation
    character count in messaging (if you're a twitterer)
    landscape email
    enable dialpad vibration
    landscape PDF
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast