Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    - how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?
    My Pre is doing great hardware-wise. I've had it for 5 months and never had any build quality issues like some others have had. The major problem for me is battery life; it's nowhere near as good as my old Curve 8330 was, but that may simply be because I use it more than I used my BB. The lag is also an issue, but again it's faster than my old BB (simply based on raw processing power). Apparently the latest update is supposed to help with both battery life and speed, so we'll see.
    - how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?
    I am thoroughly satisfied with the App Catalog. It has everything I need and more. Some are not so polished, but I think it will come with time. It's a work in progress, just like webOS.
    - what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?
    As I'm sure you already know by now, I think that the best features of webOS are the Synergy, cards multi-tasking, and unobtrusive notifications. But for me what I love most about it is the fact that they keep pushing out incremental updates faster than I ever thought possible. I think I updated my BB once or twice in the year I've owned it and I've updated webOS 5-10 times in the 5 months I've owned it. I feel like I'm getting a ton of value out of my purchase because it keeps getting better and better with time.
    - what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?
    You know most pros (large touchscreen, WebKit-based browser, etc.). Cons include worse keyboard, no sleeper magnet in the case, less control over small details, no flashing red LED.
    - how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?
    Pre has an amazing form factor for me personally. Love the vertical slider and the size fits my hand perfectly. Ideally I would like to see better materials and durability. If you've ever played with the Nokia E71, that's the kind of weight and metal I want on a phone. However, I'm skeptical about putting it on a bigger screen because it will just fit in the hand worse (the iPhone is already too big for my hand). I think a lot of this is personal opinion, and Palm, like RIM, is going to be giving out a ton of options for the tons of various form factor preferences.
    - anything else you think i need to know?!
    Have fun! I think you're gonna love it.
    I have definitely had some hardware issues. I have been to the Sprint store 8 times and am on my 9th Pre since launch day. With this one I settled for 2 dead pixels to begin with and 4 dead pixels now. If it gets worse (another replacement did) I will probably be going back for my 10th. Luckily since purchasing one on June 6th, I haven't been charged for any replacement since they have obviously all been issues with the phone. Pretty unlucky.

My only thing about apps is that I long to see more functional apps. Basically apps that increase your productivity and ease of completing tasks.

Ultimately, I definitely love the Pre and what it has to offer. I can't really see myself enjoying any other operating system after using the Pre. That is why I have stuck with it and am on my 9th phone. To me, it has been worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    Greetings Mobile Accomplishers!

Week #3 of the Smartphone Round Robin has Dieter rock'n BlackBerry and me hitting up WebOS via the Pre and Pixi.

I'm looking for your help to make sure I know what I need to know about the hardware and platform - I don't want to miss anything.

I was there at CES 2008 when Palm unveiled the Pre and WebOS... even got a great video of it recorded with Peter Skillman walking me through. And it's no secret I'm a huge fan of the multi-tasking cards and the way WebOS handles notifications.

So I'm a big fan of the concept of WebOS and of the direction Palm is heading. My bigger questions are I guess about how good the current experience is in making it your daily device, and where do you want to see it go.

So some questions:

- how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?
    everything has been fine, and 1.3.5 just add much joy, faster definitely
    - how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?
    yes. other than video recording, I have very few complaints
    - what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?
    multitasking, the butter-milk seemless synegy and connections of the whole system.

and pretty too.
    - what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?
    touch screen, pretty OS, great multitasking. synergy.

Im not sure hoe BB users will think of the email on webOS, but since thats BB's strong aspect, I suspect BB users will more likely to be unhappy with email on the Pre, not that they will 100% be unhappy, just more "probability"
    - how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?
    no, I dont mind if palm were to put out an EXTRA device with large screens, but its a phone, and I think iPhone/android is too big already.

what do I really like to see in next Pre?

1. higher resolution: 600x800
    2. glass screen
    3. flash and autofocus for camera
    4. front camera
    5. Micro SD slot
    6. projector

MUCH THANKS! post on this thread daily for your chance to win a new pre or pixi!

Kevin
    update to 1.3.5! and Enjoy.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I don't have a Pre, but from my experience with my friend's phone it does seem like a solid device. I guess my main concern is with the apparent build quality issues that I've heard about. Additionally, I don't want Sprint as a provider, don't want CDMA tech in my phone despite the good prices. The other thing I don't want is a physical keyboard, I've found that I like the all-touch slab style of phone... the more screen the better
    WebOS is a great start, but it reminds me of the 1st Gen iPhone. Needs work. Hopefully Palm will match Apple's impressive pace
    Now that the 1.3.5 update is out, I wonder what will roll out at CES? I'm expecting the Verizon announcement, but what else and will they wow us this time?
    I had a hardware issue with my 1st Pre (the volume down button got stuck) so I am on my second one. I was apprehensive about getting a slider, as I have always perceived them to be prone to hardware issues. The Pre has been ok for me so far, but I don't exactly trust it. It doesn't feel laggy to me, and daily use is 2nd nature to me now. Battery life has been a bit of an issue...a couple times the phone has died on me in the evening. I charge it overnight, every night.

I am not HUGE on Apps. My 2 most used (non-native) apps are Pandora and Fandango. I am starting to get into the whole Homebrew thing, but in my experience I have not found many apps that I use on a regular/semi-regular basis. Universal Search has (for me) made quite a few apps unnecessary. I.E. Who needs a Wikipedia app when you can directly search Wikipedia with Universal Search?

I love synergy, universal search, the multitasking, the way WebOs handles notifications, the gesture area. I have used WinMo in the past and wasn't impressed, but I wasn't disappointed either. For my new smartphone, I was choosing between the Pre and the iPhone. I have an iPod Touch so I am familiar with the iPhone OS, and I am happy that I went with Pre. A lot of my friends have iPhone, and when I play with their phones I never wish I had an iPhone.

Well my wife uses a Storm, and I know she likes the multitasking on my Pre. The web browsing is also a major upgrade, as well as the gesture area. I have heard a lot about BBM, so I imagine a lot of BB users might miss that.

I love the form factor of the Pre so much that it helped me get over my dislike of sliders. It still feels a little cheap, and I try to baby the sliding so it doesn't wear out or get all loose on me. But the way it fits in my hand is awesome. I love the sleek look of my Pre. In the next devices I would like to have a little heavier of a device that felt more solid. I would like to see a beefier version of the Pixi (wider with a higher resolution?)

Tweaks are a must. I love the feeling of being able to customize the little things. It makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
    - Pre is snappy! Pixi is for poor kids. Why lock yourself into a contract with a crappy phone for <$100. It only gets worse when you claim insurance and you realize you are paying the same deductible as the Pre owners.

- All phones have apps where they count.

- Beats WinMo in terms of everyday use

- Where my push at?

- If the Pre had a front face keyboard, that would be awesome.
    entering again
    I had a hardware swap due to a broken ringer switch, but otherwise i love the hardware and it holds up great (for me). As for daily use, I have the ability to keep the phone charged (via touchstone or cord) while at work and most of the time at home, so while I battery life is not great, I usually don't have to worry about it too much. I even have a spare battery, but haven't had to swap batteries in over a month! As for speed, 1.3.5 update just did a major speed update to the phone, where it's just not as laggy... but, it can still use a lot of updates and snappiness!

With Homebrew, you get most of what you need. There are still a lot of "nice to haves" that I would like to see, but Homebrew + Official gives you most of what you need...but the key part here is that you absolutely need Homebrew right now to Apps like Agenda (for agenda calendar view), Brightness Unlinked (separate screen and keyboard brightness), DrPodder (Podcasts), Switcharoo (background changer), etc.

The physical keyboard, web browsing, easy to use multitasking, openness and customization (with homebrew and patching) of the phone

I like the 2 options that Palm currently has. I prefer the Pre form factor, but know a lot of people who would like candybar design of the Pixi... And I really don't need a bigger display...the Pre's is big enough for usability but small enough to fit in your pocket, but I can understand that people may want a big display. The good news is that due to the nature of the coding of webOS, scaling to different displays is pretty easy to do, so I am curious to see if we will see a bigger webOS device!

Make sure you are able to review webOS with the 1.3.5 update. It really makes the device snappier and faster, and a better user experience.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcity00 View Post
    Now that the 1.3.5 update is out, I wonder what will roll out at CES? I'm expecting the Verizon announcement, but what else and will they wow us this time?
    I'm expecting the main points to be similar to the following:

1. Hardware revision
    a. GSM Pre+
    1. Larger, 1350mAh battery
    2. More memery
    3. Slight increase in clock speed
    4. $99 price
    b. GSM Pixi
    1. Wifi
    2. Free w/ contract
    2. Software revision
    a. 1.3.5 (or 1.3.6?) discussion
    1. Speed increase
    2. OpenGL Support

3. New Software Demos
    a. Productivity
    1. docs-to-go
    2. Flash(!)
    2. Partners and Others
    b. Games
    1. Need for Speed
    2. Partners and Others
    Last edited by Sayo; 12/29/2009 at 10:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    shameless contest entry
    Has Palm ever had what you would consider to be a really good keyboard or would you rather they revamp their whole approach to that aspect of hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post
    I'm expecting the main points to be similar to the following:

1. Hardware revision
    a. GSM Pre+
    1. Larger, 1350mAh battery
    2. More memery
    3. Slight increase in clock speed
    4. $99 price
    b. GSM Pixi
    1. Wifi
    2. Free w/ contract
    2. Software revision
    a. 1.3.5 (or 1.3.6?) discussion
    1. Speed increase
    2. OpenGL Support

3. New Software Demos
    a. Productivity
    1. docs-to-go
    2. Flash(!)
    2. Partners and Others
    b. Games
    1. Need for Speed
    2. Partners and Others
    We haven't heard much about docs-to-go but it has been a staple for Palm owners in the past. They need some of these big partners so this would be a good annoucement. I'd be surprised to see flash, but maybe at least an announcement of a target date.

1. The hardware is holding up well, although the top/bottom pieces 9that slide against each other to reveal the keyboard) are a tad loose side-to-side. But otherwise it's great.

Battery life is a big loss with the Pre. If it lasted twice as long, it'd be the best smartphone out there. But the battery runs out so quickly that I'm constantly looking for ways to not use features on the phone for fear of it becoming a paper weight too early in the day.

While webOS 1.3.5 did make the launcher snappier and closing apps snappier, it did nothing to speed up apps themelves.

2. Other than for music (please Palm, let NaNplayer get released!!), I've been pretty happy with the apps I have.

3. Multitasking! No other phone does it better and being on a phone call and being able to check a document that you're going over while in a Taxi is the most incredible thing. (Or texting while on a call)

The only thing I'd change? I'd make it so you can allow multiple apps to access the audio at the same time. For example, if I'm on a phone call, and I try to open Pandora, WebOS should pop up a box that says, "This app is trying to access sound. If you allow this, the audio it plays will mix with any other audio you have currently. Would you like to allow this?" That way I can be talking to a friend and say, "You've got to hear this amazing song I just bought today. Hold on and I'll play you the mp3!" WOW. No other phone would be able to come close!

4. They'll love synergy. They'll love how much easier the web is without the horrible trackball and "rolling" through links. They'll hate that email takes a while to load and that unless you're on wifi, the internet/email isn't as super fast and reliable as on a blackberry.

5. Actually, I thought the pixi's smaller screen and no wifi were bad decisions. The Pre's screen is already too small as it is. But my wish list in order:

* Longer battery life (needs a HUGE improvement. Not 10% but 70-100%)
    * Faster speed for apps (have you seen the video for the Nexus1? WOW)
    * Bigger screen

6. With the homebrew community, unlike Blackberry, if you can think of something that would really make your phone use MUCH better, you actually have a good chance of getting it. You can go on the forums here and request someone build you an app and there's a good chance they'll do it!
    I'm not here to answer questions I'm just here to share my view on the review of the palm pre and pixi that you will be making. I like fair reviews. Just wondering are you gonna be using the 1.3.1 pre or the updated 1.3.5 cuz it makes a hell of a big difference. Cuz honestly I think the pre is one of the best if not the best smart phone out now. But to each his/her own.
    - i have not had any issues with the hardware. im very cheap and very careful of the toys that i have. i have had the phone for three or four months and not a scratch.

- im not really a huge power user, the only thing i need from outlook at work is my calendar, so i dont need to buy any sync apps, all i did was download googles calendar sync desktop software and it syncs with my google calendar account.

- i love the multi-tasking. the company that my mom works for needed to test some of their old palm os apps on the classic but because of financial restraints they couldnt afford a two year plan just to test some apps, so i said i have the plan and they could buy me the phone and they could test on it. so i basically got this phone for free which is awesome because im cheap when it comes to the phones i get.

- not sure but my email works great for me. from what i have heard its not as great as blackberry's

- deffinatley a bigger screen, the battery cover is very cheap on the pre and squeeks while typing. and get rid of the stupid button on the pre. useless, only for going in and out of card mode.
    Shameless contest entry.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe_civet View Post
    WebOS is a great start, but it reminds me of the 1st Gen iPhone. Needs work. Hopefully Palm will match Apple's impressive pace
    3 years to build a functioning device hope not
    Welcome!
    1. I have the palm pre. I have no screen protectors. I keep mine in a simple leather case. Although it doesn't feel 'solid' like some other devices, I have dropped my pre (without the case) numerous times & it's been holding up quite well. I'm not sure a glass screen would have survived those falls the way the pre has. The battery life has (seemingly) improved dramatically since the last update (1.3.5). This may be because of the battery perf improvements related to low coverage areas as i ride the subway to/from work with low/no signal for abt 40+ minutes a day.

2. i have the apps i need for now and am content with the rate of additions at this time.

3. i've had a brief unpleasant experience with a samsung omnia but i've been a palm user for a while. i love the webOS interface. it's clean, simplistic, fun, very functional and aesthetically beautiful.

4. i think blackberry users would absolutely love the beauty and ease of use. the pre has become an active part of my daily life and has changed the way i do a lot!

5. i actually like the pre form factor but would love to see it with more memory or expandable memory. a slightly larger screen would be cool - but not too big to turn the phone into a brick-like device. i love the pocketability. and a bit of a sturdier feel would be great.

6. - anything else you think i need to know?! - just have fun with it. i've been completely in love with this phone since day 1 and i'm willing to overlook some of it's weaknesses in the hopes that there will be more excitement & improvements to come.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast