Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 77 of 77
  1. #61  
    There are many people who say they are getting rid of their old PDA to get the new Sony when it comes to the states.

    Do something ethical. Don't break your Palm and try to use the Service Plan. Don't give it to the kid next door who will break it within a week.

    Give it to a poor college student who is knowledgable in PDA's...not to mention, you could use it as a tax rideoff!

    I will gladly except (and pay shipping for) a Sony N710c, N760c, T415, T615c, Palm M130, M500, M505, M515, Handspring Visor Pro, Edge, Neo, Prism, or any PPC device



    Well, I can dream, can't I? Give me credit for trying!
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  2.    #62  
    Originally posted by ashmed
    But they still sell the 760c which my understanding the NR70 is the replacement for. I doubt to many people will buy the 760c or even the 615 because of the nr70
    Sure they will...so long as Sony continues to drop the price of the previous models, they will sell. The ONLY reason I bought my 610 when I did was BECAUSE it dropped to $250! I think the general PDA-buying public (so not those of us who hang out here or other PDA forums!) is likely to find the discountinued models very attractive because they are great values. Imagine when the 760C drops to $250...Palm OS, color, hi-res AND MP3 ???? That's a bargain!

    And...those of us who tend to be more impulse buyers will continue to gravitate to the clearance and discounted models for the bargains! I knew I liked the Prism but only bought it because of the CompUSA $200 rebate...so it cost $250. I was starting to look into the Clies, but bought it because CompUSA had them on clearance for $250. IF I decide to try a 615, I will most likely go via a website which has them advertised for $225 (http://www.cliesource.com/cgi-bin/fo...&thread=000409) OR wait until Fry's or CompUSA drops the price to less than $300.

    NOW...the NR70 is SOOOOOO sexy that I might be ready to talk myself out of waiting for the clearance prices!
  3. #63  
    Originally posted by purplemd

    NOW...the NR70 is SOOOOOO sexy that I might be ready to talk myself out of waiting for the clearance prices!
    NR70 has already been chosen as my prism replacement (maybe even my handera)
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

    "It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  4. #64  
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    [...] Give it to a poor college student who is knowledgable in PDA's...not to mention, you could use it as a tax rideoff! [...]
    No, actually, you couldn't use it as a tax writeoff if given to the average individual student AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5. #65  
    It's an impressive looking device, there's no doubt. It's gunnin' for PPC somethin' fierce. I wouldn't mind one, but I have gotten very used to an insanely long battery life and standard expansion.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  6. #66  
    It appears that Sony is pulling a Microsoft on the Palm OS. The device looks awesome, but the truth is that this is not the Palm OS anymore, is it?

    I have concerns. Palm can't be too comfortable with this. They have often compared their business plan to Apple's back in 1984. Back then, IBM was the competitor, and Microsoft was the sleeping giant--eager to help Apple push Macs. Well, they better be taking notice. Microsoft is a competitor this time around, true, but Sony is the sleeping giant.
  7. #67  
    Originally posted by GORDYmac
    It appears that Sony is pulling a Microsoft on the Palm OS. The device looks awesome, but the truth is that this is not the Palm OS anymore, is it?

    I have concerns. Palm can't be too comfortable with this. They have often compared their business plan to Apple's back in 1984. Back then, IBM was the competitor, and Microsoft was the sleeping giant--eager to help Apple push Macs. Well, they better be taking notice. Microsoft is a competitor this time around, true, but Sony is the sleeping giant.
    I think sony is far from sleeping.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

    "It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  8. #68  
    True, they're not sleeping, per say (maybe that was the wrong metaphor, maybe "trojan horse" would work better). But I think they are pushing the OS into areas Palm didn't really want, and that's going to lead to bad blood in the near future, I'm sure.

    And before someone says it, true, Sony is doing great things with the OS, but it's not their OS to modify at their will.
  9. #69  
    Originally posted by GORDYmac
    True, they're not sleeping, per say (maybe that was the wrong metaphor, maybe "trojan horse" would work better). But I think they are pushing the OS into areas Palm didn't really want, and that's going to lead to bad blood in the near future, I'm sure.

    And before someone says it, true, Sony is doing great things with the OS, but it's not their OS to modify at their will.
    I thought the whole point of Palm allowing other companies to license the OS was to innovate the OS. HandERA and HandSpring do the same thing.

    HandERA modifies the OS to allow for Dual Expansion, HiRes and Virtual Graffiti.

    HandSpring has added support for SpringBoard Modules, USB Syncing, 16Bit Color Support and other things.

    Whether Palm likes the direction Sony is taking is Palm's problem. Palm still controls the OS that gets licensed to Sony so Palm can implement whatever they want.

    As for Sony's products still being a PalmOS device, how can you say it is not? They have truly added nothing that HandSpring and HandERA have not already done. Sony simply put most of it in one package.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  10. #70  
    Originally posted by GSR13
    As for Sony's products still being a PalmOS device, how can you say it is not? They have truly added nothing that HandSpring and HandERA have not already done. Sony simply put most of it in one package.
    I agree that the Clies are Palm OS devices. However, regarding what Sony has brought to the party, it's my understanding that they were the ones that introduced/developed VFS and the 320x320 hi-res APIs that have been/are being incorporated into the Palm OS. I'd consider both of these to be, from a consumer standpoint, a fairly big deal.

    Whether Sony did a good job or not with either API, though, is definitely a topic for discussion....
    Jeff Meyer

    "And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  11. #71  
    Originally posted by GORDYmac
    And before someone says it, true, Sony is doing great things with the OS, but it's not their OS to modify at their will.
    Actually, if you look at the strategy PalmSource has presented, they're actually encouraging licenesees to add their own ehnancements to the OS. It looks to me like PalmSource wants to become a general purpose embedded OS vendor. I've done work for companies like WindRiver that make a real embedded OS and I'm not sure PalmSource fully understands the impact that's going to have on developers.

    In the "good ol' days" if you developed an app for a major release of PalmOS it was pretty much guaranteed to run on any machine that could run that version of the OS. Not having to maintian a different version of the app for each different hardware platform made PalmOS very attractive to small developers. Now we're entering a world where developers have to choose which PalmOS devices to target and code certain features differently for each target device (increasing the cost of development).

    What's interesting is that Microsoft started down a similar path with WinCE (touchscreen PDAs, tablet PCs, clamshell devices, different screen resolutions, different storage technologies, etc.). The result was a severe lack of interest on the part of developers because there was no "common" platform to target. PocketPC's recent success is largely a result of the devices becoming much more homogeneous. PalmSource is now going the opposite direction and I have my doubts about how successful they'll be.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
  12. #72  
    Originally posted by bookrats


    I agree that the Clies are Palm OS devices. However, regarding what Sony has brought to the party, it's my understanding that they were the ones that introduced/developed VFS and the 320x320 hi-res APIs that have been/are being incorporated into the Palm OS. I'd consider both of these to be, from a consumer standpoint, a fairly big deal.

    Whether Sony did a good job or not with either API, though, is definitely a topic for discussion....
    I do not disagree that Sony developed both HiRes and VFS that has, or will, make its way into PalmOS as a standard.

    My point was simply, they are not the only people to develop HiRes and MemoryCard Support. HandERA also developed HiRes, though they use 320 x 240 with Virtual Graffiti. In addition, they also have MemoryCard Support. I did not mean to imply that Sony had not done their own work, they have. But the earlier post made it sound like Sony was the only one innovating the PalmOS and that simply is not true. Sony is not doing anything that HandERA and HandSpring have not done.

    To say that Sony is taking Palm in a different direction would also imply that HandERA and HandSpring did the same thing.

    The fact that Palm chose to implement Sony's version would seem to strengthen my argument that Palm encourages OS development. I would see this as a sign that Palm wants Sony to continue to do this.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  13. #73  
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    Give it to a poor college student who is knowledgable in PDA's...not to mention, you could use it as a tax rideoff!
    Originally posted by TobyNo, actually, you couldn't use it as a tax writeoff if given to the average individual student AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Toby you are correct. You can only get a tax deduction if you contribute money or property to a Section 503 organization (and certain others in more esoteric IRC sections). But depending upon the student you still might get a rideoff .

    edited 3/15 to correct spelling
    Last edited by jhappel; 03/15/2002 at 03:38 PM.
    Jonathan
  14. #74  
    I just saw some pics of the NR70 next to the T-615. I am amazed. Not only does the screen flip all the way back, but when its closed or flipped completly the NR70 is just about as thin as a T615. I am amazed at this one big time. Also . . . The Screen automatically flips the image when you flip dislpay over. Thus using Keyboard

    _/ <- configuration example (sideview of NR70)

    the graphiti area is at the bottom of screen.

    But when you flip the screen

    || <- screen on back or should I say a classic pda mode (sideview of NR70)


    the image flips automatically just like a camcorder screen does when you turn it around. So the graphiti area is no at the previous screens top. get it?

    Anyway you will when you see it. Awesome just awesome
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  15. #75  
    WOW. I was wondering if I should trade in my 710c converted 760c for a 615c ... but I think I'll wait for the NR70V.


    yeah, i wrote that ...
  16. Rob
    Rob is offline
    Rob's Avatar
    Posts
    531 Posts
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    #76  
    Originally posted by dkessler


    At this point, Sony hasn't published or even announced any NEW virtual graffiti APIs (at least not on the US developer's site). There's no guarantee that PalmOS forms based apps will even have any control over the virtual graffiti area on the NR series Clie's.
    Here's a picture of Crs-MeDoc in full-screen mode. Is this a 'forms based' app? I don't think that they are writing directly to the frame buffer. Also, I believe that the APIs are released, but probably only in Japanese for now.

  17. #77  
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    I just saw some pics of the NR70 next to the T-615. I am amazed. Not only does the screen flip all the way back, but when its closed or flipped completly the NR70 is just about as thin as a T615. I am amazed at this one big time. Also . . . The Screen automatically flips the image when you flip dislpay over. Thus using Keyboard

    _/ <- configuration example (sideview of NR70)

    the graphiti area is at the bottom of screen.

    But when you flip the screen

    || <- screen on back or should I say a classic pda mode (sideview of NR70)


    the image flips automatically just like a camcorder screen does when you turn it around. So the graphiti area is no at the previous screens top. get it?

    Anyway you will when you see it. Awesome just awesome
    Not to be silly, but I pointed this out exactly one month ago (3/11/02) check it out on page 3.

    ^_^

    -Trotsky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions