Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    WHEN my 615c gets here tomorrow, it should give me enough time, in hand, to get familiar with all the changes in hardware before moving on when this unit appears stateside. I see absolutely no reason in the world why I won't upgrade the day it hits our shores...Just think what Sony will be putting out in a year or two...
    Originally posted by MIKE STH
    WHEN my 615c gets here tomorrow, it should give me enough time, in hand, to get familiar with all the changes in hardware before moving on when this unit appears stateside. I see absolutely no reason in the world why I won't upgrade the day it hits our shores...Just think what Sony will be putting out in a year or two...
    I totally agree. Sony seems to be have understood Apples Computers message. Think different.

Sony has done it with their PCs and for the past year their PDAs. And despite them coming out with new versions very quickly, I am not upset. Whether I stay with what I have or go to the new device. They are meeting my needs and adding logical additions to the new devices. I expected this from Palm. Well at least Sony gets it. I am now anxious to see what Handera might have up its sleeve.

*Still waiting for response from Slotmachine
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Holy sh*t.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Holy sh*t.
    What he said.

While there's some stuff on this model which makes the hair on my knuckles stand up straight (66Mhz, MP3 player -- hey, wait, what's the battery life, 15 minutes? ), the T615C does all the stuff I really want off of my PDA. So I don't have an urge to upgrade.

But my hat is off to Sony. Talk about listening to their customers. They not only have awesome engineers, they have awesome product planners.

Sort of puts Handera's proposed color PDA in the shade, doesn't it? (We won't even discuss Palm's next offering.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Take a look at this

The screen swivels to the left and right!!

----
    Since I don't read Japanese, I'm probably missing the mini-phase disruptor and the automated dog-walker option as well.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by bookrats
    [...] Sort of puts Handera's proposed color PDA in the shade, doesn't it? [...]
    Not for me, necessarily. If Handera comes out with a color 330 with a SuperVZ, 4MB+ ROM, 16MB+ RAM, and OS4.1, I'd be more likely to get that than the Sony, although the Sony _is_ an interesting device. The key for me is that the Handera has an established track record for supporting CF+ expansion cards. The Sony may have an available CF sled, but I'd be willing to bet that it'll be memory only.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    The Sony may have an available CF sled, but I'd be willing to bet that it'll be memory only.
    Actually, if history is any indicator, it will be for a wireless cf card only, and only in Japan.
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Hotwire Search Results for San Francisco, CA to Tokyo, Japan

Depart Sat, Apr 13, 2002
    SFO San Francisco Intl.

Return Sun, Apr 14, 2002
    NRT Tokyo Narita

$1164 round-trip per ticket

Search Expires at 12:07pm PT at 3/11/02 - Ref No. IKEE8G1V7D
  9. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts

Sort of puts Handera's proposed color PDA in the shade, doesn't it? (We won't even discuss Palm's next offering.)
    I don't suppose there's any chance that Sony's virtual grafitti area APIs are compatible with HandEra's (or Samsung's), is there?
    Okay, now that I've had 12 hours of non-sleeping time to ponder over this, some things do worry me.

The battery:

Battery life has been "calculated" to be around 5 hours (someone mentioned the site specs saying roughly 10 days at 30 minutes a day). That's not too good. While I don't exactly go world traveling every month, I would like to have to option of not worrying about carrying around portable emergency chargers or travel chargers wherever/whenever I DO go. Add MP3 and the camera to it ('cause I KNOW I'll have to get the camera version), and you probably DO have something like 15 minutes of real usage!

The keyboard:

We know Sony's track record for the CLIE keys in the past. Now, I've never used a thumb board before, but these keys don't look to be too . . . "responsive". Can I really adapt myself to typing on this potentially non tactile board? Especially after I've typed on a Stowaway?

The screen:

While no photos can ever truly do PDA screens justice, I'm worried about color fidelity on this one as well. I heard it was still a backlit type of screen, and the T615C has shown that colors become washed out with Sony's version of this PDA tech. I DO use my device as a mini "multimedia" device, despite it being PalmOS based, so colors are important to me.

The screen part 2:

I REALLY like the swivel feature. I mean REALLY. Being given the option of going clamshell vs. notepad style is a marvel of PDA engineering IMHO. But how sturdy is that swivel hinge? I know that Sony's not necessarily known for 'shoddy' merchandise, but it's just another relatively fragile thing that can break on an already fragile device. Currently I worry about breaking my screen. With this new device, I'd have to worry about breaking my screen OFF!

The screen part 3:

Where are the hardware buttons for the "notepad" configuration? Will I always have to "clamshell" it open to get my hard buttons? This means gaming will be clamshell style only, and I'd have to actually launch my common apps in software instead of with buttons. Not too much of a problem, just a little more inconvenient after 2 years of trained hard button usage.

Then again, the do show software buttons in that thin area below the soft grafitti area, so perhaps they can place software "hardbuttons" there?

I dunno, these things do worry me, and they're all valid concerns, I think. It's a great looking device, but I think it'll be far from perfect.

But hey, I'm still getting one as soon as they hit these shores. It's just a dream come true for me. I'll either keep my T615C as a "backup" device (in case of any unforseen break-offage of swivel screen) or I'll sell if off on Ebay for less than MSRP.
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    Have Sony release a special "Star Trek" themed version. This thing looks like the original Communicator.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Actually, if history is any indicator, it will be for a wireless cf card only, and only in Japan.
    True. True.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Here's some possible problems:

battery life: I've heard is 5 hours, to build on that, compaines always give the most optimistic estimate for battery life, looks like this could be a serious problem.

US availability: Anyone remember the PEG-500C? Looked like a great little handheld, unfortunately, they never came out with it in the US.

All this and OS5 is just around the corner.

It'll be interesting to compare this with the X-Scale based PPC's though.
    Here is an issue I have yet to see mentioned. Maybe I over looked it, but I am pretty sure no one has brought it up.

Looking at the pictures, I have yet to see one with the Graffiti area Down. This would lead me to believe that while it may be "virtual graffiti" it is not collapsible. They simply had to make the screen "draw" it, in order to allow the flip lid. So, in truth, the viewable area is still 360 x 360.

Personally, I think this would make much more sense and still be semi-standard.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Some points made and some questions answered:

-Click here or here to see pics of the NR70 with the Graffiti area collapsed.

-The digital camera is almost THE SAME as the memstick camera already available. Just a bit better... The camera is rated to take pictures of 320x320. Not worth it to me.

-A point no one commented on is that the LCD image automatically flips itself when the screen is rotated past 90 degrees. Many digital camcorders and cameras with flip LCDs do this. You can see that at work in these pictures.

-Thank the LORD that it uses the same connector as the T-series! STOP CHANGING THE DANG CONNECTORS YOU RASCALLY VARMINTS!

-The cradle is finally nice to look at. I was really spoiled by the sexy Edge cradle... My m505's cradle looks like something to club people in the head with. DESIGN FOLKS DESIGN!

-Is the casing metal or plastic? It looks like the same plastic used in the n760... That would be a BIG negative for me....

-I was hoping battery life would be better than the T-615 series since there is more space to put a bigger battery (it is about the thickness of the n760).... But I guess I was hoping in vain.

-Trotsky

-=-=-=-=-

CORRECTION: The camera is rated for 320x240, 160x160, or 88x88 pixels. In other words it has IDENTICAL specs to the memory stick camera already available. I was afraid of that.

ADDITION: Interesting to note that it will have 16mb of RAM and 10mb of Flash! 10 whole megabytes of Flash RAM! wow. So once we get JackFlash running on this baby we'll have at least 20-22mb of internal RAM.... *drool*
    Last edited by Trotsky; 04/11/2002 at 11:43 PM.
    After looking at more pics of the NR70 I am 80% sure that the casing is silver-painted plastic....

PDA makers really need to understand the importance of METAL casings for their high-end PDAs....

Heck I'd pay an extra $50+ for a PDA that had a titanium casing with a self contained Edge-style case/flipcover.

-Trotsky

For those of you who are curious it was specifically this picture that convinces me that the casing is plastic. Notice the seams and "soft" screw holes? And notice that rectangular inset area on the rear of the case.... Hallmarks of molded plastic.
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    [...] US availability: Anyone remember the PEG-500C? Looked like a great little handheld, unfortunately, they never came out with it in the US. [...]
    I was always under the impression that it never made it to the US due to poor user feedback in Japan (screen quality was supposedly really poor). I guess we'll know in a month or two.
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    All the examples I've seen have been with photos being shown. I'm wondering how smart a standard Palm app needs to be to use that extra space -- or whether it can. (I'm unfamiliar with how well Handeras have dealt with this with standard applications.)

ADDITION: Interesting to note that it will have 16mb of RAM and 10mb of Flash! 10 whole megabytes of Flash RAM! wow. So once we get JackFlash running on this baby we'll have at least 20-22mb of internal RAM.... *drool*
    However, don't the Clie Japanese models usually have more more Flash than the US models?
    Jeff Meyer

19. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    However, don't the Clie Japanese models usually have more more Flash than the US models?
    Yup.

http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/clie/615_specs.shtml
    http://www.sony.co.jp/sd/products/Co..._400/spec.html
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    Some points made and some questions answered:

Cool. Thanks for the link to those. I had not seen any pictures with the Graffiti area collapsed.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast