Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok it is time for some fast moving here palm (moderator/bloggers/etc.)

As we come close to 2010, Apple still is pulling a lot of strings with verizon. So if we want to succeed with this web os platform some thing need to happen. Please see previous post on what needs to be basic operating features of the phone (i am not talking about physical features since the phone is already made. The physical characteristic of the phone needs to be addressed in further revisions of the product but not now).

Jobs has his little toy coming out next year. You might have heard about it. The islate. Well, what does that have to do with the pre. Since at&t service is not up to par as verizon, apple is in talks with verizon. Verizon is setting up their system for GSM. Apple can care less about other none gsm carriers. They make enough money selling their iphones already. So the move is not for market dominance. Apple is a very arrogant company and they would never switch to CDMA unless there was a reason. That reason is their new islate that Stevy has been personally working on. What does verizon get in return? they get to carry a smaller screen iphone. So if verizon sets up a network to support gsm phones, then they get a smaller screen version of the iphone and apple gets to market their islate on the verizon network (the better network to push multimedia since their broadband service is a lot better than AT&T). PS -> Islate is crap. DO NOT waste your money on this thing.

Ok, what does this have to do with the pre. I have a pre but even I know that pre will not sale very well against iphone. Iphone has more recognition & market than the pre. If pre does not sale well while on verizon, then palm will be no more. The good thing is that verizon iphone will probably come out in the second quarter of 2010.

What we need to do as a group. We need to push palm into setting up an os that has basic features that a good majority of smartphone users would want. Do not think me think we. So if it does not satisfy the need of 85% of smartphone users, then that functionality can wait. We also need speed. This functionality/speed will hopefully arrive standard without any/minimal patches. We can not use the excuse that the other companies had years to develop their system. Palm does not have the luxury of having years to develop a solid system.

Please do not mention the iphone coming to verizon. Most people are followers, thus they would wait for the iphone to come out in May instead of purchasing the palm pre when it is available on verizon the first quarter of 2010.

Finally, the reason why I like the palm pre versus any other OS including the iphone. Web os is the best os for smart phones even though it has not reached its full potential. Iphone os is good but Apple restricts the device excessively. For the tech none savvy individuals, they would not notice any thing but for me there a more features restricted than I am willing to accept. So webos, for me, is the best smartphone os out there. It also has the most potential since it is not as locked down as the iphone os. No jail breaking/do not have to worry about the apple police removing programs off your phone. All you have to do is root it and the possibilities are endless.

Happy New Year 2010 here we come
    nice thoughts and hope Palm is keeping up with their plans.

I love WebOS...looking forward to bigger and better things.
    Interesting, but do they realize their product name can be re-camelCased to read: IsLate
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Verizon is setting up and LTE network, next generation of GSM, which the contract they have with AT&T doesn't cover (if I am wrong feel free to correct me). Apple and Verizon could partner on an LTE iphone with a cdma chip to start working now. Who knows.

The problem with Palm is their positioning. The really have dropped the ball in many places when it comes to Web OS. The updates released since launch have not drastically improved the Pre or Pixi. Also, the hardware wise, these phones are under utilized. There are also build issues with the Pre. The Pre is like an Xbox 360, Palm knows there are issues, and only until more and more users complain will they have to address these issues directly. I get that this is a new device and new OS, but how in the hell does that excuse poor build quality? I have had 6 replacement Pre's since launch. Web OS 1.3.1 runs like a crap and the features it brought did not warrant its release.

Honestly, Web OS is so late to they game, we maybe SOL. I don't think Palm has the resources to make Web OS a contender. There are so many missing features, Web OS isn't even up to par with a basic phone from 4 years ago. So I feel while it has PDA features, the Pre is not a smartphone, but a PDA/Phone. Web OS is at least a year old at this point, and its only at 1.3.1? Palm needs to get on the Ball and get their team working on the OS. Personally, I think the Pixi is a better design phone, I would have released the Pixi first, called it a Treo, have a bigger screen, wifi, and same OMAP cpu in it, would have had the build quality people knew and loved of the Treo's with Web OS (which I agree has mega potential, but so does a lottery ticket) and would have sold but loads. Palm aimed very low on the hardware, probably to hit the magic price point, but honestly they should have took a loss on the OS and made an awesome phone hardware wise. At this point Palm is sink or swim, and I feel its going to be strictly sink soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcobra2010 View Post

Apple still is pulling a lot of strings with verizon.
    link?

Verizon is setting up their system for GSM.
    LTE, right? that is NOT GSM.

Apple is a very arrogant company and they would never switch to CDMA unless there was a reason.
    Verizon is also a very arrogant company.......that was initially approached by Apple.....

That reason is their new islate that Stevy has been personally working on.
    like, in his basement?

What does verizon get in return? they get to carry a smaller screen iphone. So if verizon sets up a network to support gsm phones, then they get a smaller screen version of the iphone and apple gets to market their islate on the verizon network (the better network to push multimedia since their broadband service is a lot better than AT&T).
    link?

PS -> Islate is crap. DO NOT waste your money on this thing.
    hahaha, wow. WOW. for grins and giggles, ill go ahead and ask.....you've had hands on? you've seen pictures? please tell me what you are basing this brazen statement on.

The good thing is that verizon iphone will probably come out in the second quarter of 2010.
    link?

Please do not mention the iphone coming to verizon.
    ......but you did.

Most people are followers, thus they would wait for the iphone to come out in May instead of purchasing the palm pre when it is available on verizon the first quarter of 2010.
    link?

Web os is the best os for smart phones even though it has not reached its full potential.
    opinion.

Iphone os is good but Apple restricts the device excessively. For the tech none savvy individuals, they would not notice any thing but for me there a more features restricted than I am willing to accept.
    and that's why the tech savvy can, and do, jailbreak.

So webos, for me, is the best smartphone os out there.
    exactly. for you.

It also has the most potential since it is not as locked down as the iphone os.
    iPhone OS is a GREAT OS. i like in your rant how you fail to mention Android.

No jail breaking/
    while simpler and less invasive, we still have to do our own "jailbreaking" to use homebrew apps and patches.

do not have to worry about the apple police removing programs off your phone.
    neither do iPhone users.

All you have to do is root it and the possibilities are endless.
    so all we have to do is "root" and the possibilities are endless but right above you are applauding WebOS for not having to "jailbreak?" uuuuuuh.
  6.    #6  
    ok iphone/apple troll

if you do not know the difference between rooting and jailbreaking, do not comment.
    apple can and does remove programs off iphones. Google it

actually stevy job was was working in your basement since you seem like one of his *******.

why are on a pre site? Should you not be on a iphone site? Are you an undercover pre lover? Do not tell your other apple ****** club since they may start to cry.
  7.    #7  
    ok iphone/apple troll

if you do not know the difference between rooting and jailbreaking, do not comment.

actually stevy job was was working in your basement since you seem like one of his followers.

why are on a pre site? Should you not be on a iphone site? Are you an undercover pre lover? Do not tell your other apple no brain club members since they may start to cry.
  8.    #8  
    pre is on sprint not verizon yet. I thought I should edit this since it might be hard for the iphone user to get the clue that pretty much everyone on this forum has sprint if they are in the states.

Guy are you really trying to pass off as a pre owner? This is not an apple forum so move along.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    wow guys this is cold you guys need to take a chill pill ... and yes apple sux but palm is not listening to it's customer base there are a lot of basic features that are missing and seem to not be in any talks for the pre/pixi like the bluetooth file transfer and linking but I'm patient i myself have been working on opening that up but this site is for learning not warring
    Hi Everybody!!!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    oh and chud you really should stop hating on the palm on there site
    Hi Everybody!!!
    not hating on the Pre....which i own....i am clearing up blatant speculation and opinion trying to be passed off as fact.

the only Apple product I own is a second gen iPod.
    not hating on the Pre....which i own....i am clearing up blatant speculation and opinion trying to be passed off as fact.

the only Apple product I own is a second gen iPod.
    ok iphone/apple troll

i do, thanks. youre the one intermingling the two as the same.
    so while John Smith is sitting at his house eating dinner, his phone is magically wiped over the air? awesome.

actually stevy job was was working in your basement since you seem like one of his followers.
    you're acting like a Palm ******/Apple hater. you're the troll.

why are on a pre site? Should you not be on a iphone site? Are you an undercover pre lover? Do not tell your other apple no brain club members since they may start to cry.
    yes, im a Pre hater and iPhone lover. that's why i have so many thanked posts and why i started the PreCentral Google Group. good call.
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus View Post
    wow guys this is cold you guys need to take a chill pill ... and yes apple sux but palm is not listening to it's customer base there are a lot of basic features that are missing and seem to not be in any talks for the pre/pixi like the bluetooth file transfer and linking but I'm patient i myself have been working on opening that up but this site is for learning not warring
    really? a LOT of basic features? define a LOT.

bluetooth file transfer is a security thing which is also "missing" from BlackBerry's. is anyone complaining about that?

and to say that Palm doesn't listen to it's user base when they ENCOURAGE the homebrew community is laughable.
    pre is on sprint not verizon yet. I thought I should edit this since it might be hard for the iphone user to get the clue that pretty much everyone on this forum has sprint if they are in the states.
    thanks for that info. ill be sure to contact Sprint and tell them to stop sending me bills.

Guy are you really trying to pass off as a pre owner? This is not an apple forum so move along.
    guy? haha. are you from Jersey, bro?
  16.    #16  
    I would love to continue this conversation but I do feel this will get boring.

and for someone that only owns an ipod you get very definsive about apple. Even though I own a mbp & mini, I would never defend apple. They sale overpriced junk. The only reason I use apple is for the net since they own very little market share. For functionality I go to my pc. Can not do really anything with a mac.

do not need to play with an islate to call it crap. Overpriced crap. The only 2 things apple did right iphone & switching to intel so people can run windows on an apple.
  17.    #17  
    chudd get some friends and a life. Do not call me your bro because I take offensive to you calling me bro.

also you are wrong again _ not from jersey

good night
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    +1 to kingcobra2010 And to clear up a few things Video recording
    Voice dialing
    Voice recording
    Voice command
    Voice translation
    Photoshop
    NPR
    Shazam
    Slacker
    Pocket Informant
    Last.fm
    Qik
    Epicurious
    Allrecipes Dinner Spinner
    ShopSaavy
    Layar
    Spotify
    Rhapsody

Just to name a few that others have enjoyed for some time. And as a former T-Mobile Blackberry owner, I'll Simply say you need to read their blogs too cause that is a complaint
    Hi Everybody!!!
    The iPhone has been around since June 2007, and WebOS has been around since June 2009. You can't expect a startup operating system to come fully equipped with every app and feature that you want in 6 months.

Once WebOS has had 2 years development and refinement, then you can continue this pointless conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus View Post
    +1 to kingcobra2010 And to clear up a few things Video recording
    Voice dialing
    Voice recording
    Voice command
    Voice translation
    Photoshop
    NPR
    Shazam
    Slacker
    Pocket Informant
    Last.fm
    Qik
    Epicurious
    Allrecipes Dinner Spinner
    ShopSaavy
    Layar
    Spotify
    Rhapsody

Just to name a few that others have enjoyed for some time. And as a former T-Mobile Blackberry owner, I'll Simply say you need to read their blogs too cause that is a complaint
    minus the voice functions, everything you named are apps and are nowhere near BASIC functions of a phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast