1.    #1  
    I am a huge fan of palm and my pre (even for the record having 3 now) but tonight at the fams house with two of my cousins having iphone I thought I would rub it in that the pre is so great!

One thing turned into another and we decided to do a quickie speed test by going to two sites we both never went to before, first being gizmodo (I use engadget) and the other is yahoo believe it or not

iphone destroyed me by at least 10 secs in the first test, same for the second plus with yahoo they loaded the main graphic where I didn't. Also as there pages came up I was still in loading mode, I have to say duno if its the minor tweaks, precorder or latest update we have but my pre is a huge lagfest lately!
    Yeah mine seems slower too lately. What you should have done is double check that they are not on wifi. Once you verify that's the case, you should have went on Youtube and let them do the same and compare the image quality! Just don't load up more than 3 vids, coz then the Pre automatically reboots.

Were they rocking 3GS iPhones?
    be careful when your doing that against iphones, the webpages automatically go to the mobile version of the site.

for example on twitter you get
    Twitter on iphone

where as the pre you go to the main site unless you have the spoof iphone patch.

whenever testing against friends i win 2/3 times

forgot to say your area matters to
    Last edited by jpdaballa; 12/25/2009 at 10:36 PM.
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
  4.    #4  
    We were both on our own networks, no wifi, and no Iphone 3Gs's but they both had the newer updates, what is it 3.0 or something. Not gonna lie it was fast.

Funny but my Pre was that fast at one point, I believe before the current update when i did my pre vs blackberry test (which i destroyed the BB) .. Seems ironic now it was the reverse in this situation ..
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

were they in an area with better coverage
    Don't be completely misled by the verizon ads... ATT has their issues, but when you are lucky to be in an area with good service then their service and iPhone rocks.

Surprise! AT&T wins Gizmodo's coast-to-coast 3G "mega test" : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech

I am lucky in south FLA to have excellent service with ATT... With never a dropped call (don't remember the last time) and on avg in speedtest.net app alway rocking around 1.5 megabits (which probably explains why I average 400megs data per month compared to 10 when I had my 2G on edge.)

your relatives probably in a good area for them. If they had 3gs... The while phone would gave been running very fast.
    Last edited by donm527; 12/25/2009 at 10:29 PM.
    My friends iphone 3G beat my pre by a second and a half here in Canada.
    Just remind them about the removable battery :-)
    Are you both on the same network? You can't do a hardware/software speed test with two separate data connections, it will never be a fair test.

I tested my brother's 3G versus my Pre (both on wifi) and the Pre beat the 3G loading amazon.co.uk by about 2 seconds.

The 3GS is faster than the Pre however. You should repeat the test in a more controlled way with both phones on the same stable, common connection.
    but that's real world usage though on their own networks.

i guess really a couple of things that make a good phone... quality of service in the area with your carrier and performance of the phone itself.

unless you are in a notoriously bad area for your particular phone i think a couple of seconds either way is good because it shows the network in the area are comparable and probably a toss up in speed tests.

now performance of phone... the webos is slick and have played with my coworkers pre and another has a droid... and the 3g may run well with the latest os... but from playing with all 3, the 3gs is very very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Are you both on the same network? You can't do a hardware/software speed test with two separate data connections, it will never be a fair test.

I tested my brother's 3G versus my Pre (both on wifi) and the Pre beat the 3G loading amazon.co.uk by about 2 seconds.

The 3GS is faster than the Pre however. You should repeat the test in a more controlled way with both phones on the same stable, common connection.
    i saw this the other day and for the price now and the capacity of the battery giving 4 full charges, this could be the better than a removeable battery (I dont like the slip on battery packs they sell for iphone).

ZAGG | ZAGGsparq | 4 full iPhone charges, mobile battery, device charger, cellphone charger, portable battery pack, 6000 mAh lithium polymer battery, USB x2 at 1000 mAh output, AC 100-240 v/50/60 Hz

i mean honestly... you have the option of getting a spare battery, but who really wants to and does it? not many cause who wants to carry a spare just like who has extra laptop batteries and most people think they shouldnt have to no matter what model it is. who wants to keep opening their battery panel and swap batteries and put wear on the door?

i would think this battery would be a great option too for pre owners.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    And then they'll remind you WHY you have to remove it...
    The best any of us can hope for is that battery technology will advance in the next few years. I know there is a lot of progress regarding batteries in the labs, it will be a brilliant day when we see them consumer side.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    And then they'll remind you WHY you have to remove it...
    Really ?, all the iPhone owners I know hate their battery life, and would love a replaceable one or the option to buy a bigger one !!
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    I am a huge fan of palm and my pre (even for the record having 3 now) but tonight at the fams house with two of my cousins having iphone I thought I would rub it in that the pre is so great!

One thing turned into another and we decided to do a quickie speed test by going to two sites we both never went to before, first being gizmodo (I use engadget) and the other is yahoo believe it or not

iphone destroyed me by at least 10 secs in the first test, same for the second plus with yahoo they loaded the main graphic where I didn't. Also as there pages came up I was still in loading mode, I have to say duno if its the minor tweaks, precorder or latest update we have but my pre is a huge lagfest lately!
    you can check or do three things . First make sure all email trash folders are empty ,because most people don't realize when they swipe to delete it just goes into your trash folder , and slows down your phone. Second open web browser and pull down top menu then preferences and clear cache and cookies . Third every once in a while do a check up on your phone by running webos repair utility and see if it catches any bugs. These all will help keep phone up to speed.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Do you have the iphone spoof installed?
    the iphone 3gs is the greatest thing ever to the mobile world.