1.    #1  
    Just got my Popular Mechanics magazine and the Zaurus won an editor's choice.
    It's a cute handheld I've heard, but I've heard the syncing and built in software isn't so great.
  3.    #3  
    I didn't here that. Anyways its still in development stages...
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    Just got my Popular Mechanics magazine and the Zaurus won an editor's choice.
    Huh. I wonder what PC Magazine's choice for best 5-speed power drill is.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    It's a cute handheld I've heard, but I've heard the syncing and built in software isn't so great.
    Actually, the built in software is pretty good. It doesn't compare to ActionNames/DateBook4 ... but then neither does the built in software on Palm/PocketPC. In some ways the Zaurus software is actually better. For example, I like the address book on the Zaurus much better than the standard PalmOS AddressBook because it has a lot more fields. I no longer need multiple entries (work + home) for each contact. Yeah, there's room for improvement ... and since all the apps are open source, expect lots of excellent third-party replacements.

Syncing, because the unit is still in development, is still in a state of flux. For what it's worth, the 1.02 ROMs had no trouble syncing with Outlook on a Windows box. The 1.10 ROM released last month introduced new USB drivers and that's caused several problems that should be worked out by the time the consumer models are released.

Most syncing complaints are from folks trying to Sync with Linux desktop machines. QtopiaDesktop (Trolltech's version of PalmDesktop) for Linux is still very rough and it's too soon to say if it will be cleaned up and stabilized in time for the Zaurus release. Likewise Mac connectivity is not yet available (Trolltech is said to be working out USB driver issues with OS X - I don't expect to see support for older versions of Mac OS).

Clearly Sharp is targeting the Zaurus at the PocketPC market and for those customers, the vast majority will want to sync with Outlook on Windows - which should work fine for the SL-5500. The other thing to remember is that the need to "sync" the Zaurus is much less than with a PalmOS device. You don't need an array of conduits to convert data to a form the device can handle. Things like PDF files, JPEG files, Office documents, etc. can be copied straight over to the Zaurus from your PC (and back) and it can use them without any external conversion.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>