Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Lets keep it 100, how many of you would dropped the Pre like a bad habit? majority of complaints with iPhone users are data speeds, sprint and verizon can certainly handle 3G. After owning a jailbroken iTouch I would prolly drop the Pre in a heartbeat. Once jailbroken the iPhone is really a neat device, w/o the 3G limitations apple would make a killing....
    I have an iPod Touch. Buying an iPhone would be a waste for me.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I have an iPod Touch. Buying an iPhone would be a waste for me.
    You must have used the itouch strickly for music then.
    I remember back in 2007 when apple claimed to be the first true touch screen smartphone I swore I would never own an iphone because of that statement.
    Last edited by Joescan09; 12/23/2009 at 12:08 PM.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I'd drop the Pre for a Sprint iPhone in a hot second. The WebOS UI is fantastic, but the apps for iPhone are just incredible in comparison to anything else out there.
    If it came to sprint the network would probably topple like a house of cards and we'd have the same problems as ATT
    Not a bit. Think about what you just said. The i(Phone|Touch) is cool once jailbroken. Jailbreaking. A process that is a never-ending game of cat and mouse with Apple.

Compare that to Palm, who for now at least has no problems with the homebrew scene. I'll take "The Open Platform" for 500 please, Alex.

Not to mention that for all its problems, webOS just plain rocks.

No. I have zero desire to get an iPhone, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    You must have used the itouch strickly for music then.
    No, I have a Hero, and pretty much every app I would ever use the iPod Touch for (e.g. Slacker, Photoshop, Shazam, NPR, Layar) is already on Android and available for full multitasking.

So, yes it would be a waste for me.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I left ATT specifically to get the Pre -- I even paid a penalty for breaking my contract. The iPhone is prefect for many people, but it is not the phone for me.
    I cant stand apple fan boi's and the attitude that falsely surrounds their products. I vowed to never buy an apple product. Now while there are a few shortcomings that the pre has, I do not see any reason to drop it anytime soon. Plus Palm has been very good about opening the platform up and they have made vast improvements in the phone in the last 6 months has been insane! Think how improved this device will be in another 6 months!
    No, it's to big and the lack of a real keyboard is a deal breaker.
    That's funny, I have a jailbroken iPod Touch and it was what convinced me I didn't want an iPhone when I got my new phone. I liked the games I had on it, but I hated the way it was designed (I have finally admitted I hate Apple's overall UI decisions), the jailbroken update process (which I imagined to be worse on the actual iPhone), and that it didn't work with Linux and I had to fire up VirtualBox. Plus, since it was jailbroken and first gen, it's sluggish behavior was on par with the Pre's. It was always the Pre or Android for me.
    Last edited by malpha; 12/23/2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Not a bit. Think about what you just said. The i(Phone|Touch) is cool once jailbroken. Jailbreaking. A process that is a never-ending game of cat and mouse with Apple.

Compare that to Palm, who for now at least has no problems with the homebrew scene. I'll take "The Open Platform" for 500 please, Alex.

Not to mention that for all its problems, webOS just plain rocks.

No. I have zero desire to get an iPhone, thanks.
    Ya homebrew is kewl but what about patches and tweaks. So each firmware upgrade "welcomes" your patches and tweaks? ATT and TMO cannot handle 3G period no matter what data intensive device is out there. Sprint and Verizon can so I really do not for-see any issues with that. I'm not an apple ****** I'm just stating my personal experience with the iPhone OS on my iTouch and yes it's jailbroken. But with any power user you want to me able to utilize your mobile device to it's fullest with or w/o the manufacturer/venders consent...
    Last edited by Leke; 12/23/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by makinmedia View Post
    I cant stand apple fan boi's and the attitude that falsely surrounds their products. I vowed to never buy an apple product. Now while there are a few shortcomings that the pre has, I do not see any reason to drop it anytime soon. Plus Palm has been very good about opening the platform up and they have made vast improvements in the phone in the last 6 months has been insane! Think how improved this device will be in another 6 months!
    I feel like you read my mind when you wrote this.
    NO !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I wouldn't assume if iphone came to sprint, that sprint would still offer the same cheap plan. But as long as we're dreaming, i'd jump on sprint in a heartbeat with a current sprint plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    No, it's to big and the lack of a real keyboard is a deal breaker.
    +1, no physical keyboard, no care.
    Nope. One of the reasons I dropped ATT to come to sprint was for the Pre. I loathe all things apple. Closed. Restricted. Boring. Need their software to do basic things that are handled better in other ways (drag/drop my music and whatever to a USB Mass storage device), etc. Lock-in, especially on a device that depends so much on open source for its success, disgusts me.

I want devices that I can use as I want to, not as His Lord and Savior Steve Jobs thinks I should use them.

WebOS's integration with linux is elegant and open. Not so much with Apple's use of bsd. Apple despises its talented community programmers and tinkerers. Palm embraces and encourages them. I prefer the philosophy of the latter.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 12/23/2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Nothing in the App Store to make me want to put up with the device.
    I would drop the Pre in a New York minute if Sprint would let me switch to an HTC Hero. If the iPhone came to sprint, I'd drop the Pre even faster. I am *extremely* tired of the lagginess of the Pre and the iPhone just doesn't have that problem. I'd mss multitasking, but I suspect I'd miss it less than the number of calls that I can't answer, or the number of times Luna restarts, because the OS can't handle itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by lars7575 View Post
    If it came to sprint the network would probably topple like a house of cards and we'd have the same problems as ATT
    Well, that is, of course, a possibility, but it's one that I doubt. The problems with AT&T's network are more than just volume. It's technology. GSM is a bad protocol. CDMA is quite a bit better. HSDPA (AT&T's 3G protocol) is a much better protocol than GSM and somewhat better than CDMA, but it has poor coverage. CDMA has much better coverage than HSDPA.

So the problem with the iPhone is this: you're either using a crappy protocol with great coverage or a great protocol with crappy coverage. I think that plays a *huge* role in the problems that iPhone users are having with AT&T. CDMA, on the other hand is a very good protocol that has fantastic coverage. And Sprint's backhaul network to the internet has a *very* good reputation.

So I think that Sprint would handle the iPhone much better than AT&T has. You could be right that Sprint, too would crumble. But you could also be wrong because there are some key differences between Sprint's network and AT&T's that give sprint a huge advantage. Whether or not that advantage is enough to handle the iPhone is unknown. My instinct is that Sprint could handle it. But I could be wrong.
    Twitter: dullgeek
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast