Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    if the iPhone was on Sprint I would of never considered a Pre. Only reason I ever had a Palm phone before was it was the best in Sprints weak phone lineup at the time. Now that I have gotten used to the Pre its a tough call because I've gotten too acustomed to the multitasking to go back to anything else. The openness of webOS compared to apple is appealing too. They just need to make a phone that doesn't feel like a cheap plastic toy..plz!!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I would buy ASAP and give my Pre away
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Ya homebrew is kewl but what about patches and tweaks. So each firmware upgrade "welcomes" your patches and tweaks? ATT and TMO cannot handle 3G period no matter what data intensive device is out there. Sprint and Verizon can so I really do not for-see any issues with that. I'm not an apple ****** I'm just stating my personal experience with the iPhone OS on my iTouch and yes it's jailbroken. But with any power user you want to me able to utilize your mobile device to it's fullest with or w/o the manufacturer/venders consent...

yes, they do welcome them!

palm actually has sent early releases of updates to developers of patches, like rod and jason and others at webOS internals so that patches can be easily transitioned!

they even show up on the IRC channels to add in there two cents once in a while.

Palm is totally different than apple, or any other manufacturer I can think of in that they actively engage and trust the homebrew community.

heck, I believe that they previously sent Rwhitby a preview of 1.3.x without even asking for an NDA to be signed.

this allows for a much more reliable user experience for patcher and tweakers.

plus, there will be a new form of patching coming down the pike that makes it so you don't even have to uninstall and update patches for a new update to the OS.

absolutely a different game. one company embraces its homebrew community, the other tries to cut it off at each pass.

and the iphone, with a jailbreak, has viruses, actual viruses (not sure under what circumstance that happens, but yuck, no thanks)

I wouldn't switch, no thanks.
    There are four lights.
    Ya homebrew is kewl but what about patches and tweaks. So each firmware upgrade "welcomes" your patches and tweaks? ATT and TMO cannot handle 3G period no matter what data intensive device is out there. Sprint and Verizon can so I really do not for-see any issues with that. I'm not an apple ****** I'm just stating my personal experience with the iPhone OS on my iTouch and yes it's jailbroken. But with any power user you want to me able to utilize your mobile device to it's fullest with or w/o the manufacturer/venders consent...
    In this day and age where companies regularly try to deprive us of the right to use things we've purchased, not actively disabling patches and tweaks with a firmware upgrade counts as "welcoming." So yeah, they welcome them.

Logically speaking, it's absurd to expect Palm to take my modifications to their stock programs & scripts into account when pushing an update. But I greatly appreciate them not doing anything to shut down the patch'n'tweak scene.

I'd rather utilize the system to its fullest knowing that when the next manufacturer's update comes out I can use it and get my tweaks back in short order, instead of waiting for the Uberhaxors to find a new way to circumvent the system.
    i had a iphone its not for me.
    webos may be immature but it has a lot of room for growth and i love the UI
    the apps on the iphone are good but its not that important to me.
    plus i don't have to jailbreak my pre to get to the cool stuff webos is already cool without all the tweaking and when you add patches and homebrew its 100x better.

different strokes for different folks
    NO!
    Let's see. I purchase a product and alter it for my own use. Not bad since I OWN it. Apple is an innovation leader with products that most often work right out of the box without a problem. They do want TOTAL control. Palm also an innovation leader understands that there is a wealth of information and resources outside of the "box". They use that to allow their advancement and user enlightenment. I would have no doubt that if/when Apple comes to sprint, Palm will have more options. Openness - yes. Closed - no.
    I would not own an Apple product even if they sold them for half the price. I won an ipod once and gave it away. Apple has a stranglehold on its customers. Be it ipod, iphone or Mac Computer, once you buy an Apple product - they own you. You have to use their music, their apps and their hardware. I prefer to deal with open source companies. I will wait as long as it takes to get a pre on Zerizon and if it the iphone comes to Verizon and pre doesn’t – I will but anything else but an iphone
    I'm late on this thread but I wouldn't give up my Pre for an iPhone. I don't like the only touch key board for texting. I had an Instinct and it fit me fine for everything I wanted to do (Pre is better though) but I hated the touch screen keyboard.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Ok agreed apple tries to put a choke hold on users who tweak or jailbreak the device but when we patch and tweak using preware or filecoaster are we not doing the same thing? Compared to other devices yes Pre is MUCH more open, but it has to. Right now it's fighting for market share which is doesnt have. Apple can afford to tighten the grip because ppl will sell their left arm for an iPhone. I'm tired of the whole Pre has "potential" argument, it should have come out the box with a bang with the apps and functionality.

Multitask is the only thing the Pre has going for it, soon other phones will catch up to it. There are many iPhone users not on ATT and still ATT cannot handle the traffic so what does that say? Seriously the iPhone on the everything plan will be killer for Sprint....
    The more I see the iphone's UI the more it erks me. Its really starting to show its age especially how to load an app, you have to either scroll through several pages of apps to find it or swipe to the universal search and type on it crap keyboard. I don't know how users do it, I get hella annoyed when I simply look for an app on my 3 pages of apps when ever I forget to just type..Arg
    I have no desire to have an Iphone. I really dont care for the UI, the notifcations or the lack of keyboard. Its about the last smart phone that I would want.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    No love for the Pre's form factor? I think it's one of the major advantages over the iPhone. I like the IPhone's bigger screen, yes, but the phone is just too much of a slab for me. The Pre can actually sit in the coin compartment in my pants pocket with no problem, and I find the construction to be quite good. I don't baby my phone by any means (throw it in my pocket with other stuff, etc.), and there's not a noticeable scratch on it since launch day.
    i can't stand the iphone. i don't know what it is about it, i just don't like it.
    i had the choice between an iphone 3Gs, and the palm pre.
    obviously, i picked the palm pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    No love for the Pre's form factor? I think it's one of the major advantages over the iPhone. I like the IPhone's bigger screen, yes, but the phone is just too much of a slab for me. The Pre can actually sit in the coin compartment in my pants pocket with no problem, and I find the construction to be quite good. I don't baby my phone by any means (throw it in my pocket with other stuff, etc.), and there's not a noticeable scratch on it since launch day.
    same with me. i do not baby my phone AT ALL. i think i've even dropped it on concrete a couple of times. :/ i'm a highschool student, so i'm definitely rough with my phone.
    but i don't have a single scratch on it, my usb cover hasn't fallen off, NOTHING is wrong with my pre.

people are way to overly critical.
    Quote Originally Posted by lissah xox View Post
    people are way to overly critical.

You always hear complaints about anything more than you hear praise in general.... LOL
    Lets keep it 100, how many of you would dropped the Pre like a bad habit? majority of complaints with iPhone users are data speeds, sprint and verizon can certainly handle 3G. After owning a jailbroken iTouch I would prolly drop the Pre in a heartbeat. Once jailbroken the iPhone is really a neat device, w/o the 3G limitations apple would make a killing....
    I have no need for any Apple products. Don't even use QT.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Ok agreed apple tries to put a choke hold on users who tweak or jailbreak the device but when we patch and tweak using preware or filecoaster are we not doing the same thing? Compared to other devices yes Pre is MUCH more open, but it has to. Right now it's fighting for market share which is doesnt have. Apple can afford to tighten the grip because ppl will sell their left arm for an iPhone. I'm tired of the whole Pre has "potential" argument, it should have come out the box with a bang with the apps and functionality.
    Yep, Palm is only keeping things open to get those thousands of patchers and tweakers happy. As soon as they have sales we're all DOOMED!!!!

In case you haven't worked it out there is a huge difference. When Apple next try to lock the iPhone the current jailbreakers are in for a whole world of hurt. Maybe temporary, maybe permanent but definitely a PITA. Then the almost-acceptable jailbroken iPhone is just a crappy old non-multi-tasking boring POS - but at least it farts I guess.

Palm aren't even trying to freeze changes out. From using unencrypted source to making the developer mode password available to everybody Palm seem to take the approach that they want their customers to be delighted - whether it's through their own efforts or an active vibrant community of patchers doesn't seem to worry them. There aren't enough apps to make me walk away from that.

Want to see an apple fans head explode? Point out to them that if it's apps that make the iPhone great then the last thing they should do is buy a MAC instead of a PC...

Multitask is the only thing the Pre has going for it, soon other phones will catch up to it. There are many iPhone users not on ATT and still ATT cannot handle the traffic so what does that say? Seriously the iPhone on the everything plan will be killer for Sprint....
    Multitask is the only thing that the Pre has going for it for you. That does not make it accurate for everyone else.

I started with Palm OS with Sony Clies. When Sony stopped making them, I bought an iPod. I've had numerous iPods by virtue of my old devices going to family members.

Apple lost me as a new or ongoing customer with they changed the charging ports for their new iPod. My husband and son's cars are wired for iPods, but now they can't listen and still charge there device. In addition, none of our previous accessories will work for the new iPods.

I was disappointed when they changed the video card so that the new video iPods needed new accessories, but when they later changed the charging ports, I could see no justifiable reason for Apple to do that other than to force longtime customers to purchase new accessories. That being the case, I will not give Apple the opportunity to rope me into any of their other products.

I guess the short answer to the original question is: NO! Suffice it to say that my actual answer is: Hell NO! (excuse my language)
    If OS 4.0 is drastically changed to compete with Android 2.1 and allow multiple applications to run at once and also the allowance of them to interact with one another like you can on Android... then yes, I'd be all over it. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my Android phone and "hope" for Palm to pull their head out of their ***.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I would not get an iPhone if it came to Sprint. I too don't care much for Apple and their way is the only way. I am on my 4th Pre and like it for the most part but they just aren't that durable. This one seems to be better but if I could go to a Hero I would in a second. The Hero's Camera and camcorder alone beats the iPhone in my book.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast