Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    still trying...
    smartphone contest
    sweepstakes entry...
    i wanna win!
    First time palm user. I picked this phone up on a Friday by monday I had homebrew patches and apps running. it took minutes to setup emails/contacts...etc. very easy and simple to use.
    multitasking is awesome. I definitely was not aware of the potential before i bought this phone but now that I have multitasking, I can't live without it. being on SPRINT is a major problem for the multitasker, especially when you try to look up something while on a call.
    I have been using the nexus one for the past week and definitely like the large screen and fast processor. I also realized that I am attached to my pre and the N1 is going on ebay in a month or so....its just beautiful.
    1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?

>First time Palm user, and loving it!

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?

The awesomely easy multitasking is a major reason. But in general, the webOS is simply beautiful, simple and ultra-intuitive! The whole cards approach, universal search, the gesture area...

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?

The only thing I desire is a larger screen. Browsing on the Droids large screen for instance is really comfortable. Otherwise no jealousy.

After the CES, the app-future of Palm looks promising. Gaming, openness of the app-development

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

It is indeed the most beautiful thing! I am obsessed, finding excuses to use it every waking hour

Thanks!
    webOS rocks!
    love how notifications come in unobtrusively & you can just flick them away & check them when convenient.
    Not giving up...
    1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?

Started with a Palm IIIx that was sitting around the office. After deciding it was useful I went and got the original Visor -> Treo 650 -> Centro.

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?

It's not a locked down iPhone or single-service constrained blackberry. I considered the Android but at the time the Pre was out, most of the Androids were underpowered. Plus, android still feels kind of like a Google project rather than a product because the UI elements vary in quality and nature.

Although if Palm had vanished into the mists of time, I'd have upgraded to an Android at some point.

The real biggie is the patch system. The user experience is just so customizeable. I'd probably be noticeably less enthused about my Pre if the WebOS Internals gang hadn't come up with the patching system.

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?

Not really. With Classic there's several thousand PalmOS apps available and we can leech off some of the iPhone's Webapps. It wasn't so great at the start but it did get better very quickly once the homebrew showed up.

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't?

"standard" WebOS apps are built on the HTML 5 framework (HTML, javascript, SQL database). That handles most communication tasks and is good for general data management.

The only official "nonstandard" WebOS apps are the ones that use the PDK extensions. The Classic emulator probably used the first prototype of the PDK. PDKs are binary applications that run "beneath" WebOS at the Linux layer that can interact with WebOS directly or through a standard WebOS app that treats the binary component as a data source/destination.

Homebrew have several kinds of nonstandard apps. Some use services, which are very similar to the PDK, in that they are linux apps that can perform tasks for a WebOS front end. Preware, the software installer, requires a service to handle the actual file installation process that WebOS doesn't support.

Others are stand-alone linux apps that can either operate automatically without touching the WebOS gui or that can only be dealt with in a Linux session. These tend to be much more tech-y, such as web servers, SSH servers, VPN services, etc.

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do?

Oh yes. It's very very pretty.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I used a 700wx windows mobile palm once up on a time

Multi-tasking is nice, but i really love the way the synergy works and integrates everything together.

Not really. I have never been an apps guys. Coming form windows mobile I am loving having an app catalog.

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!

Can't help you there.

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

I absolutely love it. Especially coming from the dinosaur known as windows mobile.
    The Palm Pre is my first Palm device.
    The Palm Pre is a gorgeous phone with a gorgeous operating system. The Multitasking is fantastic, but overall I went with the Pre because of its software and hardware aesthetics.
    Well, I think it will get better. I have faith.
    4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
    Newer apps can be built in code, older apps used web-based language? At least, that's how I understand it.
    It is indeed beautiful. WebOS is probably one of the best-designed operating systems ever made.
    a few of us are still going...
    persistence is a virtue
    round robin entry!
    Oops, missed a day.
    keepin on keepin on!
    go webos!
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    SPE Round Robin contest entry.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    contest entry!