Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhi View Post
    not sure why i read others posts then decided to make a personal attack on you but to contribute..

facebook chat
    augmented reality
    shazam

it just seems like we're on the losing side and android is what we though webos was going to be. all the talk of webos is a dreamy potential while android seems more into reality waiting to happen. my dream phone would be webos platform with apple ******/media love marketing and androids developer support
    I'm glad you mentioned the apps, because part of the reason I never considered the iPhone was their lack of productive apps. Now that I have a friend that I Bible study with that has the iPhone, I've finally seen something that I'd like. It's the street view of Google, but other than that, I haven't seen much. There are plenty of people at work with iPhones, but I'd show them which apps I used on a regular basis and they didn't have anything similar that they were aware of.

I think the app for that commercials are better at advising people about apps, but that still doesn't mean that it would have apps that satisfy the functionality I previous got from my old PalmOS. With WebOS and access to Classic, I'm beyond there.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    very discouraged to keep reading all of this doom & gloom talk about webOS. My son has a Hero and let me tell ya, it's nice, but IMHO webOS has as much if not more potential, especially if you take into account that webOS is still revision one on first-generation devices. Be patient, grasshoppas!
    True that. WebOS is still first generation, but right now its main competition is Google / Android. I have a strong feeling that Palm isn't winning this fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhnc View Post
    very discouraged to keep reading all of this doom & gloom talk about webOS. My son has a Hero and let me tell ya, it's nice, but IMHO webOS has as much if not more potential, especially if you take into account that webOS is still revision one on first-generation devices. Be patient, grasshoppas!
    webos users talk about what could happen
    android users talk about what will happen
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Hope all of this helps you!! Happy New Year, PreCentral community.
    entry for giveaway
    1. My very first Palm device came to be the Palm Pre, which I purchased at a Pre launch party on June 5th of last year... before then, I had never owned a Palm device in my life... not even a Pilot.

2. Multi-tasking was a big draw to the OS, probably the biggest draw. Ease of use and attractiveness came in close second.

3. I think it's safe to say that not just I envy a bigger app market with all kinds of apps, not just those based on web technologies... native apps, 3D games, etc. The app catalog and the apps themselves will grow to where they need to be with time, I'm confident of that but if there is one thing I am supremely proud of is the homebrew community. It is insanely easy to tap into this device and patch the heck out of it and the community support available is unrivaled.

4. This I know nothing of because I haven't tried my hand at developing for webOS yet.

5. Look at number 2 up there lol. I don't think there is an easier, more intuitive, more attractive mobile OS available right now.

All that being said... hardware issues (as in 5 Palm Pre exchanges in 6 months!) have forced me to switch to the HTC Hero (two weeks ago)... I DEFINITELY miss webOS' ease of use and attractiveness but the Hero is a competent phone.
    Last edited by kindaskimpy; 01/02/2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Let's do this again!
    Quote Originally Posted by jankyhanky View Post
    True that. WebOS is still first generation, but right now its main competition is Google / Android. I have a strong feeling that Palm isn't winning this fight.
    I think another difficult thing for Palm is that their main competition is both Android and Blackberry. Long term, I think they're gunning for Blackberry. But short term, they have to portray themselves as the best non-iPhone which pits them against Android
    "...there are also new animations and flourishes which make Android 2.1 feel way more polished than previous iterations (including the Droid's 2.0.1), though it's still got a ways to go to matching something like the iPhone or even Pre in terms of fit and finish." - Engadget on the upcoming Android 2.1 update

Pretty much sums up my feelings since switching from my Pre to the HTC Hero
    1. This is my first palm device
    2. I decided to get the pre the very moment i saw the CES presentation last year. it seemed at the time the that the pre had the best of every phone on the market.
    3. I sometime find myself a little jealous of some of the apps i see on my friends iphones, but the homebrew community and palm work so quickly that i never lose my excitement for this platform. I firmly believe that this phone (pre) is capable of anything that any other phone is capable of, and then some.
    4. no idea! lol
    5.as far as the UI goes, nothing can compare. I do like the iphones UI as far as the homescreen goes, but it lacks the elegance of the pre and rarely does it carry over to the UI of the apps themselves. i can't say that i'm a fan of the any android UI, i feel lit looks a little to archaic in general. so yes, i guess i am a fan of the WebOS UI lol
    Casey, I know you've already done your review, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents since I also owned the HTC Hero for 30 days.

1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?

I had a Centro for three years, and then the Pixi. (post-Hero)

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?

I LOVE the simplicity of WebOS and the multitasking, and I chose it over Android for the following pile of reasons...
    I knew there was multitasking on my Hero, but I never really utilized it because, well, it wasn't in my face. Which is, of course, my fault :-) ...I love the fact that multitasking is just right there on the WebOS...and it runs like butta!
    I also had terrible lagging problems on my Hero. I worked hard to minimize the number of apps running in the background, I downloaded an app killer than found out I wasn't supposed to because that can be just as harmful to speed because you have to reload apps, so then I didn't really know what to do...nothing was ever smooth. I would restart a new Sense UI screen so that I could try a different combo of widgets and such. It was always so smooth at first, then would descend into lagginess. It took me forever to get things the way I wanted them.
    The keyboard lagged something fierce...I wouldn't even use it in landscape mode because it could never keep up...even with haptic off! Not only that, but I was terrible about sending texts with strangely corrected words, or all my words running together because I hit something besides the spacebar. If I traded in the Hero, I didn't want a phone with a landscape keyboard, like the Moment, because I have small hands and short little thumbs...too far to reach...so I was kind of SOL. No more virtual keyboards for me...
    Anyways, then...when I finally got things the way I liked them, I would still have trouble with lagging.
    AND sometimes, all I wanted was to start up my phone to NOTHING on the screen! A clean slate, like a regular phone, like WebOS (or perhaps Android without SenseUI). But then I loved my widgets too. After awhile, I realized I hardly used them...I would end up opening the app they were connected to anyway to get the full functionality of the app.
    My phone restarted itself all the time for no reason. Particularly when I'd hit end on an app. It was weird. I'm sure I could've swapped it out, or that it was the fault of some random app...but did I really want to mess with all of that? Not really.
    Battery life wasn't very good.

In the end, the Hero just wasn't for me. It was a lot of work for me...nothing really felt easy, even after I kind of settled in with it. I took it back and I'm very glad I did...even though there are some things I miss. I think which phone and OS you like has a lot of it has to do with personal preference...

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?

I miss ShopSavvy, Shazam, the far superior Facebook app, and GoogleSkyMap. I thought the magnetometer was cool. In the end, none of the above are in any way necessary for me. I'm sure something close to the first 3 will show up on WebOS eventually, but they are not necessities. I don't do games except simple little puzzle games and such.

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!

No clue - I'm sure you have your answer by now!

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts.

It is SO beautiful. So so beautiful.
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    still going...
    palm pilot, palm 3 palm 3c palm Vx Palm Tx
    First smart phone that i have had for over two weeks, going on about 6 months now..

webos is a treat, i work on a comp all day long, and late into the evening as well.. I still take my laptop with me, as well as a netbook depending on what i am doing, I am in sales and photography, so need both.

app shop,,, cant be bothered for most of it,, a few things would be nice, not realy all that big on most of them,,
    the html thing no bloody idea.

over all this phone is a treat, others in my office went the BB route, restrictive rate plans and issues with their servers going down are a big deal..

i live and die by email. proofs for clients, new instruction, this gives me basicly unlimited storage, something that BB can not do.. I cheat, if my main gmail account starts to fill, i turn on a filter, which forwards new email to another email account. Yes Jimmy, i have filled up the free limit on Gmail.

the phone is great, hands down, i have used Iphone, BB, and several diff HTCs, even my clients love to use my phone,, hmmm now that i think on it,, there are several calls to numbers i dont recognize on my last bill loloolo let me say it again damn good piece of equipment..
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Smartphone round robin contest entry!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    another Smartphone round robin contest entry!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    so psyched about webOS 1.4 in Feb!
    am trying again
    sweepstake entry
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Smartphone round-robin contest entry!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast