Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    The thing that's stopping me from moving from my iPhone over to a Pre is the apps available, I've got a few specific apps (or a few things I'd need apps for rather) that I'd need/want on the Pre before I could switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewc View Post
    The thing that's stopping me from moving from my iPhone over to a Pre is the apps available, I've got a few specific apps (or a few things I'd need apps for rather) that I'd need/want on the Pre before I could switch.
    out of curiosity, what are those apps?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    out of curiosity, what are those apps?
    I'd like to know what we're missing too!
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    again
    The pixi is sure small and sleek. I really like how easy it is to type on despite a relatively small keyboard. My preference is the larger screen of the Pre, but everything else about the pixi is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    I'd like to know what we're missing too!
    with an app store of 100,000 on apple compared to 1,000 on palm don't act like there aren't a few you would like...or the 20,000 whatever on android

btw casey...any reason you are switching from android to webos? or you just trying it out for reviews?
    Last edited by surfhi; 12/27/2009 at 05:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhi View Post
    with an app store of 100,000 on apple compared to 1,000 on palm don't act like there aren't a few you would like...or the 20,000 whatever on android

btw casey...any reason you are switching from android to webos? or you just trying it out for reviews?
    You misinterpreted my post. I'd like to know what apps he's referring to that's all. I'm also unfamiliar with what apps are available in Apple's app store so there's no reason for me to 'act like there aren't a few' I'd like.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewc View Post

I've heard similar reasons from the more tech-minded people with whom I associate. Luckily, the app situation could easily take care of itself with enough time and proper nurturing from palm. As is, you're right. It's quite bare.
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    You misinterpreted my post. I'd like to know what apps he's referring to that's all. I'm also unfamiliar with what apps are available in Apple's app store so there's no reason for me to 'act like there aren't a few' I'd like.
    not sure why i read others posts then decided to make a personal attack on you but to contribute..

facebook chat
    augmented reality
    shazam

it just seems like we're on the losing side and android is what we though webos was going to be. all the talk of webos is a dreamy potential while android seems more into reality waiting to happen. my dream phone would be webos platform with apple ******/media love marketing and androids developer support
    "You'll know it's a qualifying thread because the first line will always say "Official Smartphone Round Robin Thread."

Is this an official round robin thread?

I personally much prefer the Pixi form factor, but I am shining to the idea of an HTC HD2/iPhone style "slab" device, so long as it has excellent predictive/corrective text. The Pre's keyboard just doesn't cut it.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Does the fact that WebOS gets constant care and feeding in the form of OS upgrades hold any bearing on a purchasing decision? You have to wait until the middle of 2010 to get upgraded to Android 2 if you are on the Hero.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhi View Post
    not sure why i read others posts then decided to make a personal attack on you
    I'll take your lousy attempt at an apology and run with it. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Smartphone round-robin contest entry
    Quote Originally Posted by c4sizzle View Post
    Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?
    2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?
    3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?
    4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
    5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

thanks in advance guys!
    1. First experience
    2. For a few reasons:
    * It's Sprint's first valid smartphone
    * multitasking
    * open/friendly platform (unlike the iPhone, I can put whatever apps I write on my own phone)
    * beautiful device
    3. I wish it used java instead of webkit-like programming (like Android), I wish it was faster, I wish the battery lasted longer (it's ridiculously bad)
    4. I could be wrong but I believe you're referring to background apps versus gui apps? If that's the case then, no, they're both built on a web platform, just one has a gui and one does not (so it stays entirely in javascript).
    5. I agree, it's beautiful. But man, do I wish the screen was just a tad larger.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Casey,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us a perspective of the Pre/Pixi/webOS from a different user community.

1. I've been a Palm user for many years, graduating from a Visor to a Treo to the Pre. Originally I wanted a Pre because of the ability to run classic Palm apps, but I'm finding that isn't something I need anymore.
    2. I like the webOS for the simplicity of entry to development, as well as it's Open Source nature (although not as open as Android).
    3. No jealousy yet. webOS is in its infancy. The apps will come, and Palm's acceptance of the Home Brew community is very encouraging.
    4. I'm new the webOS, so I can't really address the HTML/CSS compliance issue yet. I would hope that whenever possible those guidelines would be followed.
    5. It is a beautiful OS, with lots of potential. I'm not going to say it's better than the iPhone or Android, simply that it is another option.

Have fun!
    "Yes, yes, I know that, Sidney....everybody knows that!
    But look: four wrongs squared minus two wrongs to the fourth power, divided by this formula, do make a right."

-- "The Far Side", by Gary Larsen
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I do like the interface of webOS, and I agree, the fonts are pretty sweet as are the cards and app-swapping. The main drawback for me at this point is the hardware. Obviously it's only used by one maker, but the phones just aren't there yet for me. I do think that they are a good start, but it's not viable until they get better and over to GSM, as I'm not even willing to consider a CDMA device
    entering again
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    shameless contest entry
    another try
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    dittp