Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    1. I am a palm user. Love the OS.
    2. Multitasking is one of the first features that attracted me. However, I feel that the potential within WebOS is amazing.
    3. No jealously what so ever. Gotta realize that this OS has not even been out for a solid year, and in itself seems to be keeping good pace with other platforms.
    4. Unfortunately, not to familiar with the developer side.
    5. Yes, everything about the UI is beautiful. But added to that is the fact that almost anything is customizable. How about that for a phone that gets you?

Side Note - I can not wait for palm to enable the Pre/Pixi's GPU! That will be so sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by h3artl3ss View Post

Side Note - I can not wait for palm to enable the Pre/Pixi's GPU! That will be so sick.
    Agreed.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Merry Christmas everyone! ..And I hope you've had a happy Hanukkah too, if you celebrated it!

Ah, it's a good season.
    Last edited by Sayo; 12/24/2009 at 10:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by c4sizzle View Post
    Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?
    2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?
    3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?
    4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
    5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

thanks in advance guys!
    Hey Casey!

First welcome and hope you enjoy your experience with webos. I hope you really let us know your thoughts coming from Android as many of us, myself included, were toying with the idea of android. On to your questions

1) I am new to owning Palm devices however I have messed with several of their older phones.

2) I am on WebOS for the multi-tasking but also for the many cool things that come with homebrew type stuff. I like how palm has opened up the platform for people to make the phone how they want it. There are a few others but the final main reasons was to be part of the development

3) Absolutely the app store and homebrew are showing enough promise. I have no jealousy over or platforms. We have over 1400 homebrew and 800 apps in the catalog in just six months, I think that is pretty darn good

4) Sorry but cant help you much here. I am not real familiar with how the apps are made. However, I do understand that many apps are made on HTML

5) I think it is the best OS I have ever used (have not tried android yet though)! I love most every thing about it.

Thanks again and look forward to your feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post
    Merry Christmas everyone! ..And I hope you've had a happy Hanukkah too, if you celebrated it!

Ah, it's a good season.
    +1 ... Happy holidays to everyone!
    To answer Question 1

I am a first time Palm phone owner. The phone has been a blessing and a curse. I have never had to spend so much time trying to add patches to and to "fix and customize" the phone and add missing factory features. The running multiple apps is great. The screen resolution is the best I have seen.

I feel as if this phone is a beta version and I and others are the testers. If I had to do all over again based on the missing features and hardware issues, I would NOT buy this phone again. With that said I would miss the OS and the screen resolution and the responsive touch screen.
    merry christmas entry!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?
    This is my third Plam device. Started with Centro, went to Treo 800w then Pre

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?
    a. multi tasking is awesome
    b. screen is fabulous. zooming in and out helps as well
    c. palm more open than apple/att with software, developing, apps etc. Heck they even
    provide webOS dr
    d. Synergy was big, big, big for me. One of the best things about the phone.
    e. Physical keyboard. I do not like virtual keyboards.

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?
    Not jealous of the app stores of other platforms. IMO though loyal palm users have apps we have used for years that we are still waiting to be built for Pre. Some of the simple things Palm OS was so great at are unfinished or missing. Most should understand that this is a brand new platform and early adopters must be patient. iPhone has been out for several years and it took them longer to get the amount of apps we have in six months.
    I wouldn't even consider the iPhone when it was 1st gen device but I trust Palm and they delivered a great os and unit.

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
    Can't do anything for you on this one. Not a programmer.

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts
    I think the OS is beautiful. I don't think there is another to compare with it. It is elegant and flows easily. I haven't seen much of the lag time others complain about. When I infrequently experience lag times i use LunaManager (a Homebrew app) and restart Luna. Speeds my phone right back up.

I hope you have fun learning webOS. It is very easy, user friendly. My friend who can't even use word or excel without asking for help every five minutes can work her phone, including Homebrew apps, patches and themes.
    As it matures it should stand the test of time.
    Happy Holidays everyone! Let's see what Palm has for the new year at CES....
    Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

thanks in advance guys!
    For your questions in order.

1. I am a first time palm purchaser.
    2. I went for the palm pre because I really liked the feel of it. It seems to sell itself once I actually had it in hand. I also liked the pricing of the Sprint plans in my area over that of Verizon and AT&T. There was a great deal more bang for you buck with them.
    3. The App Store is not fleshing out as fast as I would like it. Though there are few types of apps that I would like to find that are not there. ( I would like to see less choices for Tweeter though. lol ) I am now studying up on how to develop apps myself and since it is a smaller market at this time it could become a good opportunity since the Palm phones are supposed to hit the other carriers soon.
    4. I am still very new to the development side of WebOS so there are more qualified people to answer this than I.
    5. I think that the whole WebOS is a great platform and love that they took the time and effort needed to appeal to not only functionality but looks as well.
    Hey all!

thanks in advance guys!
    1. My wife owns the Pre in our house and she is a former Palm Treo 800w owner, but it is in spite of that she bought the Pre. It is a good thing Palm built it different enough, cause she hated that phone, but loves the pre!
    2. She is on the Pre mainly cause of the awsome GUI, and hardware design (not buuild quality mind you, but design).
    3. Suprisingly, she doesn't care much for apps until I put them on and show them to her. This may be due to lack of choice, but she doesn't even look.
    4. Me no developer, IDK!
    5. yes, as stated earlier, beautiful GUI. OS looks great. my opnion is that it is a good base to build from, looking forward to future WebOS devices!
    another...
    So Casey, how did webOS treat you over the holidays?
    I just tried a Droid Eris (HTC Hero) and the OS is about as good looking.
    unapoligetic entry
    short entry for the this time...
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I tried the HTC Hero out tonight at Best Buy. Loved the 5MP photo/video camera with zoom. Time to catch up, webOS!
    Hey all!

Hi Casey, and welcome to WebOS! I'm happy to respond to your questions, and to bring some Canadian Content to this thread. Hopefully this post is still useful to you. I wanted to post earlier, but you know...Christmas happens.

This is my first Palm product and first smartphone.

I was attracted to the Pre b/c I didn't want to leave my current network, b/c of the physical keyboard, and due to the active homebrew community. Multi-tasking wasn't a priority when I bought the phone, but I've been glad to have it many times.

While I don't have any friends with Androids yet, I have several who have iPhones. If I said I wasn't jealous their abundant apps I'd be a complete liar. However, I'm not a gamer, and I've been able to find Pre applications to fit most of my needs, so overall I'm not lusting after other app stores too much.

The group I AM jealous of is U.S. Pre users. I can't really speak much about the App Catalog, since Palm has not yet made paid apps available outside the USA, meaning those of us who live in other countries have been falling behind in Apps. While USA residents may have about 900 apps available to them, we Canadians only have about 200-and-some. For example, there is still no feed reader application available to Canadian Pre users as of this writing.

While I can understand the need for developers to make money from their pursuits like the rest of us, it is especially frustrating when I find an app that I like on the Homebrew page, download it, start to enjoy it and rely on it, only to discover that the developer has set an expiry date on the app to move it to the paid App Catalog. Thankfully, some developers are understanding of this issue and will make downscaled versions of their apps available for free, or leave a free copy in the Homebrew Catalog.

Still, I've been pretty happy with Homebrew apps and the ability to customize my phone's UI through patches. I enjoy the user community and the ability to change my user interface interface through add-ons in my Firefox browser, and when I bought the phone it looked like there was a similar community in place for Pre users.

I don't think the Pre yet has the critical mass of users to make its Homebrew community as sucessful as the add-on community is in Firefox, and I do think the Homebrew catalog sometimes feels like a Beta testing ground for the Official App Catalog (which leads to the frustrations I discussed earlier). But then I remember that this product is not even a year old yet, that I've found some of the most useful apps on my phone in Homebrew, and that for the first time, I've started posting in forums like this one, where I've found great tips and support (and of course no small amount of venting). It's great to see the community work together to support each other and improve this product. The Homebrew community is still one of my favourite parts of the Pre experience, and I hope it will continue to grow. Since Android is known as the super-customizable phone and appears to have a similar open-source community, I'm curious to see your perspective on this aspect of WebOS.

I'm not knowledgeable enough in coding to answer this question.

It's a gorgeous interface to use! While I'm jealous of the quantity of iPhone's apps, I'm not sure if I could move to Tap, Wait, Tap, Tap, Wait....

thanks in advance guys!
    Thank you! Looking forward to your review.
    Last edited by kallan42; 12/26/2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added information
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhnc View Post
    I tried the HTC Hero out tonight at Best Buy. Loved the 5MP photo/video camera with zoom. Time to catch up, webOS!
    For a brief moment there, I thought you were referring to an optical zoom, which would be wondrous on new camera,