Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?

First experience.

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?

Multi-tasking and slide down physical keyboard was teh biggest reason.

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?

Yes, plenty of jealousy over other app stores! Not the official app catalog in my opinion!

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by c4sizzle View Post
    1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?
    2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?
    3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?
    4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
    5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts
    1. I don't yet have a webOS device. My phone must be on either Verizon or AT&T due to work restrictions. I've had several Palm devices - Palm Pilot Professional, TRG Pro, Treo 650, & currently Centro.
    2. Palm has a history of devices that have excellent PIM and ease of use. Some of this is still evolving in webOS.
    3. Palm is doing well for a 1.0 device that's been out for 6 months. They simply need time and developers to catch up.
    4. Explained well already by others.
    5. Coming from a Centro, I look forward to the excellent webkit web browser. Web Browsers on previous PalmOS devices suck. Blazer is horrible, and Opera mini is just barely liveable.
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    1. The Pre is my first Palm device.
    2. When I was looking for a device last year, I basically wanted a convergence device that combined a phone, navigation, music player, and full web browser into one device. The Pre came out and I was blown away that that you could do all of these things at once. It was very important to me that I could play Pandora and use navigation at the same time in my car. The fact that I could use Touchstone as a car mount that charges my phone at the same time sent me running all the way to Best Buy.
    3. The only thing I'm really jealous of is the speed and fluidity of the iPhone. Hopefully, the GPU access everyone keeps talking about fixes this. Better apps would be cool, but to be honest everytime I check the top iPhone apps, there's really nothing I have to have.
    4. Not sure. I bet someone already answered above though.
    5. The beauty of the OS seems to be the one thing everyone agrees.

Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!

thanks in advance guys!
    My input with some additional info including my wife.

1. I had an old Handspring running Palm OS, the wife and I both had the Centro.

2. For us we had liked the Pre from the first time we saw it, when it came time to look at new phones this year we looked at everything. The Pre was the only phone with the combination of everything we wanted as deal breakers. Had to have the physical keyboard, really wanted the regular headphone jack, liked the multitasking. Once we got the phones I have found even more things that make me happy I didn't go with the competition.

3. Not really tripping on the apps, there are enough apps, and I fully understand some of the things I would like to see are unable to be developed at the time due to lack of access via the SDK. The homebrew is awesome and in the time we have had the phones seeing Palm embrace homebrew as well as encorporate things, APPs and Features that we were using as homebrew/patches I am very happy with where I see the future of webOS going.

5. I love the OS and its look, adding to that, the ability to theme the OS with homebrew is awesome. I like that via themes I can tweak the overall look of the OS to something I like even more than the standard look.
    1. My Pre was my first Palm product. I had been a T-Mobile/Blackberry guy before this.

2. I actually played around with many Android device before settling on the Pre, mainly for its elegant multi-tasking and synergy. I was tired of the clunky RIM OS and cable-syncing. WebOS has definitely made my life simpler, despite its flaws.

3. I don't envy the the other platform's apps as I have yet to see an app that greatly expands the PIM/Calendar functionality of the Pre's, which is already quite good (especially contacts, but not so much Calendar). Games and the other stuff are not core to what I want in my smartphone.

4. Beyond me.

5. WebOS is the most intuitive and aesthetic pleasing OS that I have used on a smartphone (or a PC for that matter). Sure, there are kinks (slow, the dialer is buggy, . . . etc.), but the fundatmental beauty of its functionality is hard to deny.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    A quick summation to aide you in your research.

Old Palm user back from when I got my first VX, Treo 600, 650, 755p, and now the Pre.

Although multitasking is important, the speed and precision in which this device operates was another major plus for me. Palm has also always had a very rich developer community that is very open to all types of folks. I also have to have a QWERTY keyboard.

No real jealousy, but Flan sounds like it's going to be a great deal of fun to play with. Homebrew is showing a LOT of potential, but the AppCatalog needs to work on quality of apps and app spamming.

You're in a bit over my head. I'm still a budding developer. Check back in with me in a few months. ;-)

It is gorgeous. After a few tweaks, WebOS has become the most aesthetically pleasing mobile OS with the best ease-of-use implementation of app launching, navigation and object locations.

Hope this helps, as Andriod looks quite promising!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    1. Yes, old Palm user.. it was fast and efficient. Treo 300 and 600.

2. The Pre is a palmtop (as opposed to laptop) for me. A computing device that can do it all. And of course because of the affordable price Sprint provides. The rest is all about the awesome community and ability to modify any part to my liking. With Preware.org I currently have 127 homebrew apps and modifications installed out of 434 available! This includes a terminal app, choice of 2 tether apps, video recorder app (precorder), IRC client (wIRC) and much much more like an efficient 5 icons by 4 rows of apps per screen.

3. No jealousy at all! At the time the Pre came out there was nothing even close to what it could do. Now we just need a new version with beefier hardware, but keep in mind WebOS updates are coming that will enable more hardware and performance still dormant in the Pre. I suppose it helps I also have a JB'd iPod Touch, but it's mainly used for gaming.

4. As others have mentioned, the guidelines are for the mojo SDK to make sure the app will function, the rest is all HTML/JSJSJS/$AJAX$ $and$ $your$ $imagination$!

5. By default it's gorgeous and smart design in many ways. But we also have homebrew themes, hundreds of them! And with all the patches to choose from, you can make it as beautiful and efficient for you to use as only you could imagine. Love the 5x4 icon scheme and intuitive gestures!
    Merry Xmas everyone and go Palm in 2010!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I want to speak about patches today. I think patches are not only misunderstood, but also not given nearly enough attention. I have heard some people ask why Palm is so slow to implement the patches into WebOS. To me, this is why they made the OS so easy to configure. So that we can do it ourselves while they focus on other things. A patch gives you the option to apply it. If they were to code it into the OS, then it wouldnt be an option anymore. A big thanks to all the developers out there, patches, apps, themes, and anything else. But patches are to WebOS what apps are to the iPhone.

Palm should display this in a commercial.

"Dont like the phone app?...There's a patch for that!"
    "Dont like the speed of your phone?...There's a patch for that!"
    Want to delete emails from notification bar?...There's a patch for that!"

It seems that if there is anything that can make your phone more convenient for you, someone will make a patch for it. They are Christmas gifts that we all get year-around.

Actually, I hate to say it, but there could be a patch store. I would probably buy patches more than apps.
    Hi Casey, glad to read your post. I don't have very much to add from what you've already been told, but here goes:

1. Yes. I'm an old Palm user started with Sony Clies and ended with Treo 700p, before conversion to Pre.
    2. No.The partners that Palm had setup prior to go-live let me know that my most critical apps would be available in the new platform and I had faith that Palm would eventually go beyond the functionality of my old Palm OS. Having said all that, the multi-talking is awesome. I never knew how much I'd use it and need it, until I actually had it. Not having to close programs and entering information between two programs is a Godsend. Especially entering password data from your protected password app to websites and certification software.
    3. No jealously. The old OS was dying and Everything else looked like nifty toys, but no one, with the phones, could show me the type of production software that I use on a regular basis. It's the homebrews that brought me the additional bells and whistles for the wow factor. Now many of the homebrews are in the app catalog and I have a policy of buying the apps that I used in homebrew format. Thus I'm happy with the App Catalog and homebrew.
    4. This question is out of my league.
    5. I love the new OS. In addition, I love homebrew and dare I say it, the nurturing relationship that Palm appears to have with the homebrew community and the respect or working relationship that Palm appears to have with PreCentral. The PreCentral community and all of the helpful forum members is what's kept me satisfied and happy with my Pre.
    1. This is my first Palm device(pre), but I had followed them throughout their lifetime and many of my friends and family had used palm phones.. so I am somewhat familiar with them. That being said, I really love this phone. I followed it since its announcement and a few months after it was released I left verizon for Sprint just for this phone. Its a wonderful package: Sleek, functional, and cheap.

2. The multitasking was a huge decision in phone purchase. I hate being limited by one function at a time, for example, my old phone wouldnt let me txt message and listen to music at the same time so songs would get interrupt 2-3 times a playback. Also, I like to be able to browse the internet while composing emails because i frequently reference online sources in my emails. I also felt like "its about damn time" that a smart phone had true multitasking, I don't really like the way android does background multitasking. The Multitasking was a major decision in the phone purchase, but as I said above the whole package is what makes the phone shine.

3. I must admit I get pretty ticked off when someone with an iphone says we have over 100,000 apps, but thats just because they so willingly take product loyalty it annoys me. Android's open source app store is a great model and I think palm understand the app catalog is very important to consumers so they keep development open to anyone and support homebrew.. which IMHO keeps it competitive with androids app store.

4. I have no authority on this subject

5.Yes, its absolutely gorgeous. I love being the only person I know with this phone, in a world cluttered with feature phones, iphones, and android phones, I feel like the palm pre/pixi really stands out from the crowd.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I was not a heavy palm user.( more of a I had to know some stuff to tutor my mom on how how to use her's.) When I say what webos was capable of I knew it was the device to go with. Personally I have been a winmo ( ppc 6800 mogul) device user for a while.

2 for me it was the multi tasking and open source. I used to mess with my winmo to a limited degree. And I was looking forward to the new htc devices coming up till I heard of the pre.
    3 I do not have any jealousy over other app store due to longevity ( sure apple has many but do all the apps get equal use on a constant basis.) I have yet to rifle through apple's app store but from what I see webOS seems to have apps that serve good functionality ( I have grey's anatomy, multiple gps programs and my fave is the music app. I also added video recording)

4 I could not tell you a things about that.

5 it is a waonderfull OS that has a lot of room to grow from what I have read. For now I think palm should add a third device to their line up. Which could be one of these three ideas. 1 make a slightly larger bar style phone ( like iphone or bb storm) or 2 a horizontal slider style ( like HTC mogul just not as thick) 3 or al larger screen pre. Perosnally it's a great phone but it could have been slightly bigger. And with all these potential futre models make them future compatilbe on overall speed functionality. With a possible slot for a micro sd I believe 32g are around the corner in the US. I want this device to be truly my everything device, with document editing capabilities out of the box. I love my pre it has work very well this particular one has not given me any real issues, except in battery life ( I have 3 total 2 stock and 1 aftermarket that last just slighty longer than stock. But generally I sometimes use 1 for the day and the 2nd on the later half of the day. And that is mosly checking email listening to music and very little youtube app. And with use of the youtube app that can drain battery quickly but I see that as a reception issue.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    love the multitasking, the user interface is great. the only area it lacks is robust apps. once we get thouse and a few kinks worked out it will be awesome
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    . How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?

1. I am new to palm though i have played with treo for a few mins at a time.

2. Well palm won me over with their demo at Ces 09, i bought into the Pre, and i am glad I did.

3. Well, I love the Iphone because of their quility and quntity of apps, the same for andriod, their quility is not as great but its pretty good too. this is one of my biggest gripe with webos, however with that said their selection is growing, as of now there is almost 900 apps availible. I hope with flash, open gl, and full GPU enable, their app will grow in numbers as well as quility.

4. As of now if you wanted to develope for palm you are stuck with HTML, Java, Css, latr they might gave up more programming options, this is a huge strenth and a little weakness on WebOS.

5. I love WebOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the look design, the experience.!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is my first Palm, besides the first Palm Pilots back in the day in High School lol.

First thing that drew me to my Pre was the multitasking, but I also loved how refined, clean & great looking the UI is as a whole.

I'm actually not jealous of any marketplaces or stores right now, that could change but for now homebrew & the app store is fine for me.

Not too sure about this, i believe its all html & java though

One of the main reasons I got this phone, I love how the UI looks so Fresh & so Clean Clean... lol
    Mine is quick and easy: Open keyboard, start typing contact name...there it is. Very important to me. Same with browser. I got a Hero too, it is a real close competition. The instant universal search wins!
    1. First time palm user, first time owning a smartphone. I've had blackberries for a couple weeks at a time for certain jobs/projects, but never made me want to get one myself.

2. I needed a switch from verizon thanks to some awfully expensive plans for data including unlimited calls. Sprint was an easy choice with its unlimited mobile to mobile so I don't even need to have unlimited calls anymore. Saving $50-60 a month is the reason why I'm on sprint, but the Pre just seems so much less busy than the Hero and the like. I was playing with phones for weeks before getting the pre, and I made the right choice.

3. Right now I have no jealousy towards other platforms. Apps wise, WebOS has everything I've needed so far. I'm not a gamer, and even when I want to play something, I'd rather have sudoku or a puzzle game anyway. With homebrew being so much easier to do with WebOS for the average user, it's showing more promise than I think a lot are giving it credit for.

4. Answered extensively.

5. I love it. Hands down just a pleasure to use! With the gestures, there's no need to ever hit a button, and it just feels so smooth and intuitive. I have a few friends of mine jealous but they refuse to switch because all the accessories they have are for the iphone. Keep in mind the money you save with sprint pays for all the accessories you'll need in a month or two. (woo touchstone!)
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    NICE QUESTIONS...
    HERE ARE THE GREAT ANSWERS... LOL

1. Im a new user of palm, actually, my first impression of a palm device is its a palm size computer (i came from barbaric place)..i know...haha i never tought that its kind of a phone.... im a techi person but not expert... i understand alot when it comes to computer and cellphones... my first hi-tech phone is the palm pre and i love the way it multitask...esp the flash sound when throwing the cards... the fastest task a pre can do so far..haha

2. im not only into pre because it multitask, but also, i like the way it sync alot of stuffs..
    IMs, contacts, e-mails..etc.... its good because i dont have to log in to my comp and sign in each and every one of them... its cool because i have families and friends from diffrent countries and states... plus point also is its size that sometimes i dont even feel that its in my pocket... pretty good for a smart phone in a big arena... AND I LOVE GESTURE AREA...I LOVE IT WHEN MY FRIENDS ARE ASKING ME HOW I FIGURE OUT TO USE THIS PHONE... HAHA

3.i'm actually not jealous to other platform that has alot of apps because i already have the apps that i need in my pre... all that are truely ESSENTIAL... "what do you do to a platform that has alot of apps and most of those apps have the same functions, just have different names???... im not a fan of 3D games either, a simple solitaire is enough to feel my needs in my busy day.... but i'll be happy if pre can handle them, that means, the phone that i love is improving

4. yea. some use html guidelines, some are not, most apps really need it to work properly and meet the needs of the users.... thats all i can say, i know nothing about making apps...as i said, im not a fan of apps...just apps that meet my needs, and im good...
    ****** i can actually live without apps because of the speedy full html browser the pre has...

5. yes its a beautiful OS, easy to customize and can actually improve HUGE and beat iphone and droid..... I KNOW THAT FOR SURE!!!!!
    Last edited by mark2jas; 12/24/2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: WRONG NUMBERING HHAHA
    palm user 5 + years here. Love the multi tasking its like nothing else.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?this is my first expreience with palm devises, i have heard great things about them but needed a different type of phone

i am on the pre primarily because of the multi talking, however i use the google sync with it a lot. its nice to be able to input something on ANY computer and have it goto my phone automatically. i hated syncing it with my computer daily to use outlook with my old phone

im not real big on apps however comma when a good one that i can actually use comes out, i get it so the app catalog only really confuses me for the most part. home brew is great i do enjoy it on my limited basis. i can say i do like the way you can do different things with the iphone, as in talk and take a pic and send it type stuff over their network as opposed to needing wifi with the pre

no a programmer,

i also really like the OS its fluid. i do want to try the android now that is has come to completeness for the most part.
    thank you and welcome, we have been waiting on you
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast