Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    one more entry
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?
    I've played around with palm OS a bit, and did some programming on it during a course in college. I have a TX lying around somewhere...

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?
    Multi-tasking, not apple, not MS, linux / opensource backbone, opensource / hacker friendliness, physical keyboard, love the gestures, web integration - I actually prefer having all my FB friends on my contact list... doesn't get in my way as I can always search, and if I actually need someone's email who is only my "facebook friend" then I got it.

did I mention that it isn't apple or MS... Oh and coz its on sprint.

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?
    I am waiting... I'm predicting verizon lauch to really push out devices, adding flash and webgl and graphical acceleration will really get things kicking... so user base + better sdk = sweet (app) action!

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
    Most (if not all) in the App catalog are web based... apps like the navigation app has deeper access

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts
    YES
    Quote Originally Posted by c4sizzle View Post
    Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?
    2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?
    3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?
    4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
    5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

thanks in advance guys!
    Hi Casey! Oops, didn't realize the changeover of the threads since some way closed and some don't.

1. Long-time Palm user back to original springboards and handspring.

2. I also have faith that Palm will keep it simple and easy to use.

3. Homebrew is great for new ideas and fixing problems, but I am concerned about Palm having the momentum they need with developers. This was key when Palm first started.

4. can't speak well to this one...

5. great look and feel and unique
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe_civet View Post
    When will Palm be releasing the more powerful API's? Homebrew is cool, but seriously...
    Hopefully CES.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    >>>>>>>>> had a Centro, 800W, Treo Pro, now Palm Pre.
    >>>>>>>>> I've had less headaches with Palm devices than any others I've used, and love the ability to homebrew/customize.
    >>>>>>>>> Palm needs to fix app space limit so I can partake of the App Catalog!
    1. I daddled in some older palm devices. Tried the Treo 700w and Centro. Treo did a good job with WinMo 5.0.
    2. Multitasking is pretty much it. I don't own one but I really liked the cards when I tried it out.
    3. Definitely needs improvement here.
    4. Aren't all the app store apps made in html/css? I believe there are some unsupported APIs that are being used in homebrew that aren't allowed in the app store yet.
    5. Looks great, but needs more hardware acceleration.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    Hopefully CES.
    I think they will. They need to bring out the big guns and start the new year strong.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    1. Started with the m505, but used WinMo for most of the intervening period. I had a Nokia n800 for the two years before I bought the Pre.

2. Multitasking(relative to iphone), better web browser(relative to android), and of course, Sprint is cheaper. Lets not forget that.

3. A little jealous in general, but no specific apps that I am missing out on. I only ever wanted a Nokia N800 but without the complete disaster of an interface and a complete lack of support, and the Pre delivers there. It is very hackable with homebrew and the web browser is actually usable.

4. Im not sure what you mean. You might be referring to some app developers working directly with Palm people to use native code or undocumented APIs in theirapps, which under normal circumstances Palm would not accept into the Catalog(at this point) from the average developer.

5. Thats more or less it. If WebOS was ugly I probably would have bought something else.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

I've been a Palm user since day 1 - I had the first US Robotics Pilot 1000, and continued to own Palm devices all the way up through the treo 680.

For my money, the best aspect of WebOS is Synergy. It seamlessly incorporates contacts, calendar, email, and (mostly) tasks from all of your different sources (Exchange, Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.).

Having that one view that shows all of my different calendars with color coding to indicate which events belong to which source is unbelievable. And the same applies to contacts, where the OS automatically merges contacts from multiple sources to display them as one.

I'd like to see a few more apps that I miss from my Palm, but for the most part I'm doing fine with what's currently available.

Two things I'm waiting for:
    • A client-server version of SplashID, which has been promised for a while.
    • A way to synchronize notes with Exchange.

As I understand it, it's not so much HTML guidelines as much as it is Palm's guidelines. There are certain apps that are using undocumented API's to do things that Palm has not officially blessed. Those apps aren't allowed to be in the App Catalog. We're all hoping Palm will open up more API's so these great apps can be officially supported (and sold).

Love how it looks, and how it works. I'm waiting for the latest WebOS update (1.3.5), which is supposed to provide a significant speed improvements. Hope that's true!

thanks in advance guys!
    You're welcome. Enjoy!!
    Hey Casey welcome to Pre land!!!

My first smartphone was the Treo 700p, then the centro, now the pre.

The multitasking is great, but first and foremost it's the functionality. The form factor is perfect for me. It's small but not too small. It's smooth like a stone, feels really good in the hand. It has a keyboard AND touch screen, personally I need both. And I can type one handed, which, in my life, with two kids, I need.

But the big one that I didn't know how much I would love is cloud sync. On the video you asked about desktop syncing. Well, I used to have a problem with it too, until I learned to stop worrying and sync with google. I have a small business so I don't need MS exchange, and google works perfectly.

And I know you won't get this, (a lot of people don't) but I LOVE the touchstone. Why? Because I never have to plug my phone into anything. Everything is synced automatically. I never EVER have to worry about making sure that I sync before I leave the house. I never have to worry about whether I've entered a phone number on my phone or the desktop. It's always synced, all the time. I just have to charge the phone. And I just do that by placing it on the touchstone. It's so simple.

No other phone does that, and it's a bit ahead of it's time. We're just so trained to think that we have to plug our phone into our desktop, but you don't. You can be free. You never realize how much sync anxiety you have until it's gone.

And yes the UI is really nice.
    I have to say, I'm enjoying reading everyones take on the questions Casey asked. This is really a great forum to belong to.
    So Casey, how are you liking webOS? Got any specific usability questions? Also, if you haven't alraedy, there is a great Tricks and Tips section of the forum that you should check out. it provides a lot of great tips to using the Pre that makes it an even better device to use!
    one more time
    hey casey, hows the experience so far? Have you delved into homebrew. Have you allowed yourself to keep key apps open and take full advantage of the multitask card and advanced gestures?
    There are four lights.
    1. How many of you are old Palm users?

I've been a user of Palm poducts since the original Palm Pilot. I went from that to a Palm V to a Treo 650 to a 800wx and now I'm on the Pre and loving it!

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking?

The multi-tasking is great but I must admit, I haven't gotten used to using it all that much. I'm still stuck in the "close it after you use it" mindset. I'm with the Pre because I don't like the WinMo platform and Android doesn't support the security policies for my EAS setup.

Jealousy? No, not really. I have a bit of jealousy regarding the capability of other platforms but not the apps.

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't?

Not being a developer I can't speak to this intelligently but I do believe WebOS is based on HTML and Java so all the apps are currently HTML and/or Java.

You betcha! I think it's the most elegant platform and one of the most promising out there today.

Sounds like you're enjoying this part of the round robin. I hope you continue to have fun and enjoy the process.
    Hey all!

thanks in advance guys!
    Hi Casey!

1. I used the old Palm OS for a regular Palm Pilot and for the Treo 650. I loved that phone and wanted to come back to Palm to get the ease of use that I had come to expect from Palm. After a few years with the powerfully clunky Windows Mobile, I was interested in something with fluid power.

2. I stay with WebOS because of the fluidity with which I can switch tasks. WebOS may not be the first to Multi task, but the WAY it does it makes me not want to use other phones.

3. Yeah I get App jealousy for all the platforms. Even BlackBerry has WebOS beat. I sometimes switch back to my HTC Touch Pro (modded with WinMo 6.5 and Sense 2.5.1) just to see that phones are still capable than more than the stuff we have in the App Catalog and Homebrew. I also miss Widgets and a real home screen. I hate having to open an application to check my calendar and the weather.

4. Sorry. I am a consumer...not a developer. I can't intelligently answer that.

5. Yeah. I love looking at it. And I love the fact that we can theme it now too. More fonts!!!

NB
    1. This is my 2nd palm device. My first one was a centro (which I had for a bit more than a ywar) and believe it or not, I fell in love with palm from that phone. When I heard they were developing a new phone with a new OS, I had to get it. I trusted Palm and still do.
    2. The multi-tasking is a bonus but mostly I got into it to support palm. Plus I knew it would be a great phone to wow other ppl with the ease of use.
    3. Not jealous at all. Love this phone and I love watching it develop and to see how quickly they push out updates (even if sometimes they miss the mark...)
    4. I'm not a developer so really couldn't tell ya...
    5. I love the OS!
    Hey Casey

1. This is my first time with Palm and what an experience. I love it, its really going places.
    2. Just as important, I'm sure there's a bunch of knick knacks that I'm not aware of, but multitasking is definitely one of them.
    3. Of course there's another app store I'm jealous of... iPhone's app store. They have over 100,000 apps! All hail the king but hopefully not for long.
    4. I have no idea.
    5. Yeah OS has a great design and will be even better with the help of developers and the pre community, which leads me into my wish list for pre...

- Task/Process Manager: I'm tired of getting the "Too Many Cards" error message. There's something wrong with the program process or it might be memory leaks, I don't know.

- Motion/animated backgrounds: This might be pushing, but my friend has an iPhone and he has a wallpaper that plays a small clip looping, and plus it doesn't seem to slow down the system. I thought that was a cool idea for pre.

- Improve SPEED!: this affects a bunch of things that have become a little annoying. Like: selection speed, swipe movement (sluggish), browser speed, touch response, and overall system lag.

- Backup Utility (comprehensive): I know read an article about someone working on a app for this, which would do exactly what users want. Any updates on when it should be out?

- Better GAMES: This is another area I like the iPhone for, we need more advanced games. We all like the tetis-like games and solitaire, but we need better games, 3D. I played a good looking Metal Gear solid game for iPhone, I could pass for a psp game. There was also a racing game and other. Palm & developers, come on.

- Better games (contd): Emulators, what's the deal with not being able to play classics like: Nintendo, SNES, gameboy, Playstion, etc on the pre without the need for the motionclassics app. I know there are some in development, but when I saw "some" I'm thinking more like "1-2." Are there any updates on compatible emulators?

- Miscellaneous RESTARTS: I mean sometimes I would be running a few apps and the OS would start lagging and just restart. I know it has something to do with the 1.3.5 version, it never happened before (or rarely).

- Stable patches: I really love the entusaism for patches, we have definitely come a long way, but what I've noticed is that after awhile they just disappear and are no longer active. It might have something to do with the updated OS, but I'm not sure.

PHEW...I hope this wasn't too much. I know it can happen and the loyal Palm users will all be waiting. Later
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I started with Palm OS using a Qualcomm PDQ 1900, when it was introduced to Sprint back in 1998/99. It's a huge phone and first of its kind really. And then I transition into using Winmo devices, starting with the PPC-6700, 6800, then the Palm Pre. WinMo, after awhile, I felt it was slow and it had it's annoyances, for the way it functioned and how other apps would open when you closed another on it's own. Or how the phone app would freeze, when it woke up to bring in a phone call. But Voice Activation was great! The camera wasn't bad, and overall a nice device.

I'm on my third Palm Pre. First phone was replaced due to the power button not functioning. So I couldn't turn on or off my phone. The second was due to some piece with the audio jack. When I plugged in my headphone or headset, it would crackle, the phone would mute, sound disappears until you wiggle it into the right place. Without the headset, if you put the phone up to your ear, it would do the same thing. While on the touch stone, it couldn't decide to be on speaker phone or not, so it kept switching between the two.

This third phone seems to be working nicely, no problems yet. I don't use my phone to plays games very much, mainly for it's synergy/pim capabilities. Calender, Contacts and Notes. Web browser, can get annoying sometimes, where as it loads, it doesn't show the rest of the bottom of the page and is cut off, doesn't allow you to scroll. And sometimes in gmail, it'll keep refreshing a page so you can never read the email. Opening a pdf and closing it, to open another one, it'll throw a fit and say you have to many cards open. Really? Only card I have open is the Browser. Texting, used to have a resend option, but that was replaced with forward, copy text, and delete options. Speaking of copy, copy and paste features isn't great on the phone and I wish there were arrow keys so that it's easier to place the cursor. As far as hardware goes, it be great if it would run on a snapdragon processor or increase it's speed, think it'll be happier from lag. Having video would be great to and being able to select multiple pictures to delete or option to delete all from the phone would be great, rather then going through one at a time to delete. It would be great that the Pre was 4G capable, how sweet would that be, but hopefully in newer versions. The touchstone, a bit pricey, but for the convenience, I really like it and it's concept.

It's also nice that I can do a little multitasking, going between cards and running multiple apps like listening to music/radio and able to still write and email while referring to several other threaded emails and websites. Couldn't really do that on my winmo, if I opened one, another would close and it wasn't as simple to slide(switch) between.

WebOS has it's good side to. I do love the font for the phone. I enjoy the navigation and gestures. Going back to my winmo phone, using an iPhone, blackberry, or an Android phone feels sadly strange to me. My finger doesn't know what to do, after using the Pre for so long. LOL. GPS is great, and so are the types of apps that are being made available through homebrew, preware and official releases. It would be great to have shazam, flash, voice activation and remote desktop apps, that would be killer ^_^. But patients.

I think the distinction is between what type of "web app" it is. If it's made to run locally to access data from the device, or if the web app is made to receive request from a server, and lastly, if it requires low level calls, like games to the GPU. But either way, the app needs to be wrapped into the card metaphor usage of the framework, like how Flash has been demonstrated to be in its preview back in Oct. It's not HTML, CSS or javascript, but it's contained around CSS, HTML, and javascript (Mojo).

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do?

Overall, I feel that I can accomplish more with this phone than any of my predecessors, thanks to its UI. It works like how I work and like many as I say this, we only can hope Palm will continue to improve and make the OS more stable and release feature rich SDKs and applications to the community. It's truly beautiful.
    Last edited by axthereo; 12/24/2009 at 10:59 AM.
    My Pre's actually my third Palm device. My first was an old Z22, then a Treo 755p, and now the Pre. It's been interesting to see the changes from one device to the next. The Z22 was an entry-level PDA with no phone functions, but it had a neat software for recognizing handwritten input called Graffiti. Well, you needed to do some specific motions for some characters, but after a little practice I think it was great. I was disappointed when I realized my Treo 755p didn't have this feature.

As for the Pre and webOS, I am mostly in love with it. I'm still just getting used to having a lot of features that PalmOS excelled in just completely missing from webOS, such as Category dropbox for organizing everything from contacts to note, tasks, even the way the applications get listed in the Launcher. The Pre has categories for a few things, such as the Tasks applications, but the older PalmOS had it for everything, and I miss it.

It's kind of silly, but I'd say brand loyalty is one of the reasons I chose the Pre. I'm comfortable with the Palm brand, and I'm glad that I can support them stay alive.

I'm also very interested in the development side of the Pre. I'm a web developer, so the idea of a new OS meant to be programmed from the web paradigm intrigued me. I know many consider this a shortcoming for more advanced apps, but really all that's missing is more API's from Palm itself. With the proper API's and libraries, there's no reason JavaScript can't handle more complex operations. We just need Palm to get cranking out more API's for things such as GPU support and proper fileIO operations.

As for multi-tasking, well, I knew the phone could do it. I just thought that I wouldn't care much for it. I had never done any of it in my previous phones. Boy, was I wrong by underestimating how useful (and fun) it is! After getting used to it there's no way I'm going back to a phone OS that doesn't multi-task. The gestures also keep it fun and intuitive.

I'm very pleased with the homebrew community, but I definitely feel that Palm is just being very hard headed and simply stupid about their App Catalog. I have friends with Android devices that can buy apps from the Android App Store, but I can't buy from the Palm App Catalog because I'm in Puerto Rico. Nevermind that Sprint has been a carrier in PRPRPR $for$ $many$ $years$ $and$ $that$ $I$ $was$ $able$ $to$ $purchase$ $apps$ $for$ $my$ $Z22$ $and$ $Treo$ $in$ $the$ $past$. $Right$ $now$, $Palm$ $considers$ $PR$ $a$ $completely$ $separate$ $market$ $and$ $is$ $simply$ $unwilling$ $to$ $accept$ $my$ $money$ $to$ $purchase$ $apps$. $Way$ $to$ $go$ $business$ $people$ $calling$ $the$ $shots$! $Customers$ $want$ $to$ $buy$ $from$ $you$ $and$ $you$ $refuse$ $to$ $sell$

Palm officially only supports their Mojo SDK tools (which you can use in IDE's like Eclipse and in Palm's own interesting Ares IDE), which definitely require web technologies. Not quite just HTML; that's just part of it. JavaScript is the main technology in there from what I can tell with my time playing with the SDK. However, webOS is a Linux based OS, and thus some developers have taken advantage of this and their Linux development knowledge to use other techniques to build some apps. Not different from any other device; there are official SDK's and other methods of creating apps that the community devises on their own.

Oh, it is indeed. I am particularly pleased with the fonts it supports by default. I mean, sure it does Arial instead of Helvetica (or both) when you specify sans-serif, but it also has Optima (unfortunately it doesn't have Palatino), Verdana, Century Gothic, Mistral, and Times (it's default serif font). I don't understand why it substitutes Futura with Times (as Futura is a very geometric sans-serif while Times is a classic serif font), but all of the fonts that I've seen supported are rendered very beautifully. Yes, I'm a typographic freak, so sue me

Anyway, save for my own disappointment with the way Palm support works and the fact that I can't buy from the App Catalog, I would say that I'm very pleased with my Pre. It's an excellent device; now I'm just hoping Palm can continue leveraging the potential in webOS by adding more functionality, and by improving their SDK documentation. Finding simple information within it can be quite a challenge sometimes...
    Last edited by silverthornne; 12/24/2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added a paragraph in point 2
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast