Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Greeting Casey. Hope you enjoy your time with WebOS.

1. I'm new to Palm. I've been curious about WebOS since the announcement at CES last year, but wasn't thrilled with the Pre's form factor. Which leads me to:

2. I do as well. The forum factor is sexy, and the KB is a joy to use. The Sprint's coverage in my area is great, so the lack of wifi is really no biggie to me. To have WebOS in a form like this is perfect for me.

3. Not yet. As of now I have the major apps I want, plus the Homebrew scene is flourishing. I'm willing to show some patience. It's really only been 6 months since the first WebOS phone was released. I think a lot of people have lost sight of that.

4. Can't be of any help in this regard.

5. Agreed. The OS, as a whole, is the reason I went with a Palm device. And it's only going to get better, as the OS matures.

Well, as stated before, enjoy your time with WebOS and make sure you keep us updated in this thread on your thoughts during the week.
    Last edited by JDGAFFLIN; 12/23/2009 at 01:51 PM.
    1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?

I had a Palm Vx back in the day, but I have never had a Palm phone.

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?

I was a Verizon customer who was happy with the network but I did not like their selection of phones or that they crippled the best phones they had. While there are some things I liked about the iPhone, I didn't want AT&T coverage and wanted a less expensive option. The Pre did everything I wanted an more (multitasking included) and for the same price as a data plan on other networks I get 7 p.m. n/w minutes, texting, navigation, and Sprint TV.

Also, I preferred the form factor over other smartphones on the market.

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?

There is a bit of jealousy. The Pre has a lot of power over the hood, but right now it's like a 340 hp car that the manufacturer will only let you drive in second gear. We have all the basic apps you need (and who doesn't need a good fart app), but we are missing some good practical apps (such as Shazam to identify songs or any of the good barcode scanning apps).

Palm Pre game development is definitely a step behind the old BREW games and two steps behind the iPhone, but hopefully that will change as developers learn the system and as the platform reaches critical mass.

So, in short, a bit, but not enough to interfere with my core purposes for buying the phone.

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!

Others can answer this better.

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

Yes, it is a beautiful OS. And maybe it's my good vision, but I don't think the screen is too small at all. If I wanted a tablet PC I would get one, but I want a phone that is capable of other tasks, not a device that does other tasks and is capable of working as a phone.
    1. I've been using palm devices since the palm IIIe, then the handspring visor -> clie -> palm treo 755p -> palm pre
    2. Synergy - killer feature - being able to just look up one name declutters my life (i work in film - lots of constantly changing contacts. syncing with face book lets people have control over there ever changing ways to get in touch with them - awesome)

3. lots of potential - for sure - i wish the pre was as snappy as the iphone - had the clean interface of Android. But to be honest, i feel it's of six of one half a dozen of the other.

4. no info on this one - not a developer.

5. The pixel density has wowed everyone i work with who has an iphone. I use this 8bit theme and it looks beautiful.

I really hope you enjoy your time with webOS. I know i do.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Hey Casey, welcome to webOS, hope you enjoy your stay

1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?

I've been a Palm fan since 1998, when my dad first brought home an IBM Workpad and I fell in love with the PalmOS. The Pre is my fifth Palm device: Workpad -> m125 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 755p -> Pre

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?

The multitasking is great, but Synergy was huge too. Also, I've always been a fan of how Palm does PIM - it just felt natural. webOS's PIM isn't quite as good as old-school PalmOS, but it is worlds better than the PIM on my iPod touch that I was using before.

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?

I miss some of the games available on the iPhone platform, but that's why I have a touch. As a workhorse platform, the Pre is perfect app-wise IMO. Homebrew is fantastic and has really let me customize my device to fit my needs, so I'm a happy user.

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!

Everything has HTML/JScript/CSS as its UI building blocks. However, the Classic emulator then uses a WebKit browser plug-in to get closer access to the metal. Beyond that, everything is currently done through Mojo hooks in JScript.

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

Absolutely - I contend that webOS is the best-looking OS available.
    Quote Originally Posted by c4sizzle View Post
    Been a PalmOS user since 2003 with the Treo 600, then the Treo 755p, now the Palm Pre

While it was one reason, it wasn't the only one. I had the 755p and was generally happy with the device, and has been with Sprint since 1999 and I have been very happy with their prices and their service. So, while I wasn't necessarily looking to upgrade beyond the 755p because it still worked well, I was always looking to see if there was a smartphone that was worth upgrading to. There hadn't really been any good options out there that could replace my PalmOS device (specifically the PIMS pieces of PalmOS) and then they annouced the Palm Pre! Between the amazing display, the physical keyboard, and the amazing OS with multitasking/synergy/amazing notifications and a full multi-touch touchscreen, I was hooked! And, to top it off, it was on Sprint! Had it been on another carrier I would probably still be with my Treo 755p, and although I may have looked around, I am not sure I would have found a good smartphone with a physical keyboard (a must for me) for the same price (phone + monthly service) than the Pre!

Anyone who says they are not even a little jealous of the iPhone/Android/et al App Catalogs are lying to you or to themselves. Even if 90% of the iPhone's apps are junk, that still leaves more than 9,000 quality apps than we have right now! However, this is still a new OS, with an SDK that hasn't fully been released, and an OS that is still a 1st Generation OS (even if it is up to 1.3.1), so I understand that I need to give it time. Granted, Homebrew has been a big help, stepping in with unofficial apps (and patches) that have definitely plugged some holes in the user experience. On the Apps side, apps like DrPodder (podcaster), Agenda (agenda view for calendar), Music remix (better music player), Switcharoo (wallpaper switcher) and others that are using non-documented APIs have been great. But there are still so many apps that I would like, and I really do not even care about the very graphics-heavy games. those are nice, but I don't have my Pre as a big gaming device.. for me, the Pre is about quick and easy games, like backgammon (still waiting for a good backgammon app), Paratrooper (fun official App in the App Catalog), YDice (yahtzee), etc, but I would love to see more!

I just hope that Palm can release a more robust and complete SDK and Developers start developing once the App catalog moves out of Beta and is fully released. If we are still having this conversation next year, then we have problems! But I am willing to give it time because even without any of those other Apps, the Pre is still the best phone I have ever had and I would be ok (not happy, by ok) if this was all we ever got

Sorry, can't help you out on this one

I think Palm did an AMAZING job with the overall look and feel of the OS. I go back and forth on if I like the streamlined look of the OS (i.e. no widgets, just cards) and while I would like to have a "homescreen" with some quick reference points on upcoming appointments, incoming texts, etc, I am not sure if we need it because we do have the multitasking Cards and the great Notification system. And, while Palm has had some great updates to the software in the last few months, they still need to finish some things on the general OS and stop making it still feel like a Beta release--especially on battery life and memory management! However, I still love this device and as I said, I am very happy with it even in its current state!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

thanks in advance guys!
    1. This is my first Palm device ever.
    2. No. I am on the Pre because I was waiting for a smartphone that met all of my criteria. Good web surfing, easy texting, affordable service (why I didnt get an iphone), physical keyboard (not necessary, but i wanted this). The multitasking was actually the last thing I thought about. Now that I have used it though, when I use my friends' iphones, it really bothers me to not have the same multitask ability that the Pre does.
    3. There is some jealousy, but not really because I want the apps. I probably wouldnt buy that many apps anyways. There are maybe 5 that I want (definitely barcode scanner). I'm more jealous that it gives them a reason to say their phone is better than mine. Even though they dont actually use any of the apps.
    4. This question is over my head. sorry.
    5. I dont have much experience with other OS's, but I really like my Pre. It is very hard for me to explain why sometimes, but its a great phone. I wish they would have working models on display at stores. I think they would have a better chance of selling if people could play with it and see how easy everything is. Nothing is inconvenient on it. And if it somehow is, theres a patch for that!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

thanks in advance guys!
    Hi, First I want to say there are 2 reviews i'm looking forward to on this round robin... Android talking about WebOS and WebOS talking about Android. I am very interested to see what you will have to say about Pre, Pixi, and WebOS. On that note let me answer your questions.

1. This is my first device, but is not my first experience with Palm. I have used Palm Treo 800w and Pro, as well as a few different Palm OS PDAs
    2. I got my Pre when there was no other option... Sprint at the time had no better phone and since CES I fell in love with Pre. Not just Multi-tasking, but synergy, the physical keyboard, clean form factor and the hopes for speed and ease of use. multi-touch and screen are pluses as well DOUBLE
    3. Of course there is a little jealousy toward other app stores but it doesn't matter. Our phone is different and the app cat and homebrew only gets better, so yes it has potential. Frankly i found it easier to find, DL, and install apps on this platform then others. So I'm jealous of the amount of available apps but I'm not jealous of the experience.
    4. Good question, when you get the answer let me know. I'm not a developer, I just like to give my 2 cents. hahaha
    5. HAHA all day long, I find webOS to look and feel great.

Side note, Before WebOS is was looking at Android. I didn't want something as massive as the G1 and with the lack of a keyboard Mytouch was out. Plus the navigation and home screen looked empty to me. It wasn't until later the Sense UI made Android jump back out to me... WebOS from Day #1 has satisfied those needs, great look, great feel, small but not tiny, keyboard, beautiful UI and connectivity to all thats important.

Side side note, a shout out to all that have developed in Homebrew, my best, favorite and most used apps are from here.
    1. First Palm device. Prior to the Pre, I was a Blackberry user.
    2. The multitasking is definitely a big part of the experience. However, the fact that WebOS (for now) seems to embrace the open source nature of the phone. The final big draw was the cheap plans through Sprint.
    3. Of course there is some jealousy over the other platform's app catalog. However, the Pre already has 90% of the apps I would use daily. My main point of jealousy right now is the fact that the Pre has such great hardware that remains untapped. GPU support, a native Audible app, video recording, and 3D games would pretty much halt any jealous feelings.
    4. The current SDK is based on web standards with limited hardware API. There seems to be a couple(?) of apps that I understand are 'native'. However, the only one I can think of offhand is Classic.
    5. It really is a beautiful OS. And very user friendly. Easy to set up, easy to navigate, and after about a week, it becomes quite intuitive. I am very fast on this phone despite the slight lag compared to the Droid and the iPhone. The keyboard at first seems a bit too small, the buttons too cramped. But I am almost as fast a typist on the Pre as I am on my Blackberry Bold (which has the best phone keyboard out there IMO). The gestures are easy and fun, the animations slick (but still laggy), and the overall feel of the OS is polished. Add in the homebrew community allowing almost complete customization of every aspect of the phone, and you really have a great phone experience.
    I am an old PalmOS user. See my sig.
    I bought a Pre on release day on the assumption that it would have all the advantages of PalmOS (fast, and excellent PIM), add a nice user interface and real web browsing. I thought that multitasking and synergy would be a bonus that I would really care that much about. It turns out that exactly the opposite happened: I'm really happy with multitasking and synergy. I'm disappointed with the PIM. And I'm at the point of losing my mind with how slow the device can get.
    As frustrated as I have been with the Pre, I bought an HTC Hero (and returned it before the 30 day window was up). My hope was that Sprint would let me swap them, but no such luck.

There are a lot of apps in the market that aren't in the app catalog. But I was extremely disappointed with the quality of twitter apps on android compared to on webOS. In my opinion all of the twitter apps on WebOS are better than all of the twitter apps that I could find on Android. And Twee is the best of them all.

But I did like that there were a lot of applications that were really useful. For example, Hero had no default Notes app, but the free ones in the market were quite good - even syncing with RTM. And I loved that I could replace the stock apps with different ones (e.g. messaging and phone).

In WebOS it's really difficult to replace the stock phone app. We can do it through homebrew patches, but it's not as polished. And AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$'$s$ $simply$ $no$ $way$ $to$ $replace$ $the$ $stock$ $messaging$ $app$. $Although$ $we$ $can$ $patch$ $it$ $to$ $make$ $changes$. $Personally$, $I$ $think$ $there$ $are$ $advantages$ $to$ $each$ $approach$.

So even though the number of apps in the app catalog is smaller than what's in the market, the ability to apply patches means that we have almost as much flexibility.
    I'll let a webOS developer answer this.
    I think webOS is a very attractive OS, but I'll tell you that it gets old after a while. It's kinda like seeing a really attractive woman, but then you find out she's mean spirited and an all around terrible person. When this happens to me, I have a hard time seeing her physical beauty because her looks remind me too much of her atrocious behavior. And instead of being attracted, her looks make me worry about the awful experience I'm about to have.

WebOS is getting to be the same way for me. Yes it's attractive. Yes it's intuitive. But I when I look at it now, I'm starting to only see:
    • Slow and laggy
    • Gestures that are intuitive but easy to mis-enter (e.g. I sometimes mean to get the application menu, but instead get the phone menu, or I mean to hit the back gesture, but I instead get the launcher wave)
    • Slow and laggy
    • Applications with all menu items greyed out. Why even give me the menu if I can't use it?
    • Freaking slow! (did I mention this already?)

I did a few videos comparing the speed of the pre & the pixi. People have come to the conclusion from these videos not to worry about the Pixi being slow, it's nice and fast just like the Pre. My own conclusion is rather that the slowness that others have shown on the Pixi exists in kind on the Pre. In other words, if you think the Pixi is slow, well the Pre is just as slow.

The pre is so slow, that I've had to enable conditional forwarding for my phone to google voice, so that I don't miss calls. I can't tell you how frequently I'll see a call come in, but I simply can't answer it because the os is too busy doing something else. Google voice gives me a workaround that lets me answer the call on a different phone before sending it to voicemail.

Frankly, if Palm doesn't fix this speed problem by June (the next time I get an upgrade at Sprint) I'll be switching to an Android phone - probably the Hero or it's successor. I love pretty, but it can't replace functional. And my experience with the Hero was that android is currently quite a bit more functional than WebOS. I hope Palm can fix this.
    thanks in advance guys!
    You're welcome.

BTW, I wrote a couple of blog posts documenting my experience comparing the Hero and the Pre. Perhaps this will be helpful, too:

http://dullgeek.blogspot.com/2009/11...-palm-pre.html
    http://dullgeek.blogspot.com/2009/11...-palm-pre.html
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 12/22/2009 at 02:58 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    1. I've had some PalmOS devices from some workplaces over the years, and as I hopped jobs I've been to Blackberry and WinMo, but after reading what it had to offer and openness I chose to go with the Pre and even early terminated my Verizon contract to get it.

2. As nice as multi-tasking is, I don't find myself using it as much as I should. I'm a "clean screen" kind of user and close out the cards when I'm done using it, even though I usually ending up opening the same one again.

3. It might be nice to have a bigger app store, but even on the Palm market, there isn't a whole lot that I'm interested in purchasing at this time. I want an app to be useful to me as something more than a novelty if I'm going to spend money on it. As far as Homebrew and Pre Central, I love them! A co-worker of mine just got the droid and I helped him set up my "workaround" to get it to "sync" with our email system. At that time I looked at the the Pre's sister droid site and it just felt very sterile and confined. Where Pre Central has homebrew and themes(and feels fun), Android felt very "business only." Definitely no jealousy here for what would be my fall back phone OS and forum.
    1. Im an old palm PDA user (IIIx,m130,tungsten C), first palm phone was the centro, then moved up to the treo pro.
    2. Like WebOS because of synergy (ability to pull from facebook, google, exchange, etc.), multitasking, non invasive notifications, simple UI.
    3. Little bit of jealousy, but im satisfied for right now.
    4. cant comment of this, since i have no clue.
    5. love the OS, everything from icons to fonts are beautiful.
    Casey, how do you like Palm so far?
    I second soccer, any thoughts or questions we can help with?
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

thanks in advance guys!
    Hello Casey

I love both WebOS and Android. Both have their Pros and Cons. I do prefer WebOS though.

1. I used an Tungsten T3 for school back in the day and my first Palm phone was the Treo 700p. I used the Samsung Instinct, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Pro and the Treo Pro. I like one-handed phones and wouldn't get anything else. Touch Pro taught me that.

2. I like the Pre because of its multitasking, but I also like synergy. The form factor is nice as well, but I do miss the SD cards.

3. I am not really an app person, with the exception of medical apps. I really don't play games much on my phone. The only other thing I would use my phone for is a universal remote to my nice home network

4. I believe most app do follow the html guidelines, however, I couldn't tell you which ones follow it and which ones don't. I really don't use apps that much. Just the core functions of the phone. Text messaging, web browser, phone, and email. For that purpose, this phone excels. Especially email

5. It is nice and simple. I wish it used the GPU to render the UI to ease the work off of the CPU
    1. My first smartphone was a BB Storm. people complain about lagging/freezing with the Pre, that's not the case with mine, I am really happy with it. My Storm was horrible, it would just shut down in a middle of a phone call and often I would get the hour glass and many times I would have to pull the battery. The BB CS rep told me I should pull the battery 2 to 3 times aday.
    2. I tried the Pre in the Sprint store for the first time in June on the release date. I was blown away how simple webOS, how easy it was to access and close apps and how mutiple apps can run at the same time (music, navigation). I like how compact the phone was and also what closed the deal for me was a REAL KEYBOARD, I hate visual keyboards. I purchase the phone that day and bought out my contract with Verizon.
    3. Really happy with my Pre, does everything I need so I haven't looked at any other phones.
    4. Don't understand apps enough to comment on this.
    5. I agree, love the OS.
    1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices? I used an old Clie with PalmOS and the original Graffiti and loved it. I've always loved Palm, but didn't get a smartphone until 1.5 years ago (BB Curve 8330 for one year, then Pre for 6 months).
    2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of? The multi-tasking cards metaphor is really nice. I also find the form factor very compelling. The size of the Pre in your hand is absolutely perfect, the click from opening and closing the slider is satisfying, and the keyboard is hands down better than any software keyboard I've ever used. The OS also has an amazing notification system, universal gestures (swiping back and up), and quick access to battery life, Wi-Fi, BT, etc. from the top right corner.
    3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential? App Catalog is a little wonky and not that great, but it's usable. I'm not a huge third party app fan. I just need a few useful apps and a few good games and I'm set.
    4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated! Not sure, but I think all the apps that were accepted into the App Catalog had to be created with the SDK, which only uses web-approved technology.
    5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts It is gorgeous and the font they are using (specially created by some famous font guy for webOS specifically) is absolutely beautiful. Still, I think some of the curves make it look a little cartoony.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    1. This is my first Palm Device. I had a WinMo HTC phone before this.

2. Multitasking is nice, Sprint data pricing is great (13 year sprint custy), Form Factor is really nice. I've always thought the IPhone is too long and with a big plastic case to protect it is too bulky for my liking. Also I think the user experience is the most intuitive I've ever used. I try to throw away cards on every phone I pick up. The gestures making navigating the applications a breeze.

3. I would like Shazam. But I know more apps are coming every day and frankly I think of it more as a perk than a requirement. I'm plenty happy with whats out there at the moment and patient enough to wait. However now that the unreal engine is running on 3GS hardware it could bring some really great games to the platform. That would be disappointing to miss out on.

4. All the API's we developers have access to are written in JavaScript. Your ui and the like are in HTML and CSS. You can a number of open source java libraries. jquery, google's JSJSJS $optimizer$ $etc$ $or$ $you$ $can$ $just$ $write$ $POJS$ ($Plain$ $Old$ $Java$ $Script$). $As$ $has$ $been$ $mentioned$ $the$ $classic$ $app$ $uses$ $some$ $native$ $api$'$s$ $but$ $those$ $aren$'$t$ $supported$ $yet$.

5. I love the UI of the Palm Pre. It is simple intuitive and beautiful.
    funny. palm just paid me $10 to fill out a survey. there was some interesting questions. among them were questions about IM services and twitter.

1. i am a new user. before that i switched from an iphone and then the black berry curve. the reason i switch from the iphone was because it was just to expensive to maintain every month. i switch from the blackberry to the pixi because it would freeze all the time and i mean 5 times a day. the blackberry is the worst phone i have ever used and i will never own another.

my experience with the pixi and webos is very good so far. i love the form factor and the UI is elegant. there are some lag issues but i expected that and i know that issue will be addressed via software updates. my brother has an android phone and he had the same problem until he got some updates. i also had the same problem with the iphone and it was fixed later on down the line. (iphone G1 and G3 user) thats just how it goes.

2. i am on the pixi because of
    ----- a) the UI - is it strange that i lick my screen? its just so sweet.
    ----- b) form factor - it seems very well thought out
    ----- c) multitasking - webos really shines here
    ----- d) price of the phone and monthly subscription.

3. i actually talked about this with palm when i did there survey. I am jealous of both the iphone and android stors. the iphone has a lot of great looking and quality apps. The android has a lot of quality apps. They dont always look the best but the are catching up in that department.

here is how i broke it down for them:
    ------ a) apple has a hug user base of graphic designers. (i happen to be one of them.) so way before the sdk was even released people were mocking apps up that we would like to see and use. Developers saw this and they all buddied up and a lot of good thing came from this.

------ b) android has a lot of developers that are dedicated to open source. these guys write code in there sleep. i have been following the progress and aestheticly they are starting to catch up with the iphone.

so now you have WebOS and its kind of the middle child. its not getting the attention it deserves. there are a lot of good apps but many i have a hard time using because it was obvious they did have a designer lay it out for them. i am still waiting for a good "where did i park me car" app that looks decent. the truth is the nicer it looks the easier it is for our minds to process the info.

i suggested to palm that although they have great support for the developers they need to work on support for the designers. obviously looks do sell apps and good looking apps attracted a lot of attention to apple. so developers need to keep that in mind. if any developers need help I am available.

4. i was under the same impression but i am not to sure either.

5. it is very beautiful and well thought out. they got there hands on some very good designers.
    Last edited by threed; 12/23/2009 at 03:23 AM. Reason: mis spelling
    When will Palm be releasing the more powerful API's? Homebrew is cool, but seriously...
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe_civet View Post
    When will Palm be releasing the more powerful API's? Homebrew is cool, but seriously...
    Well, let's see what they announce at CES...hopefully it's something big that answers your question!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast