Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Ok..I had a discussion w/ an iPhone friend the other day and was trying to discuss the differences between the 2 phones. So my question is this; what can my Pre do that his iPhone can't? What is the advantage of a Pre? Help..I need to defend myself
    multitask at the level of webOS? i don't even have mine yet, so I'm going off of other people's experience
    Less intrusive alerts.

Homebrew/ low level access facilitated by the manufacturer
    The multitasking is great. I love being able to read an email, click on a link they've sent and open an attachment. The other applications work flawlessly and I can look at the stuff and respond without having to open and close applications.
    Not having to pay atts ridiculous monthly fees
    completely customizable to your needs or wants . thanks to all the dev's out there!!!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Being an individual, not an iclone, paying about one half a month in service cost and not having your friends think that you are happy to see them when you have your phone in your pocket.
    It's size is a huge plus for me. The cards do come in handy. It feels pretty natural to move around in a pre, which is nice. Plus there's the booger checking mirror on the back of the pre , there's not an app for that.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Blind typing.
    like this?

Nuance Dragon Dictation App Hits iPhone - Reviews by PC Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Blind typing.
    without an app that im sure cost some bread
    Not having to deal with crappy AT&T! Where I was working last week, not of the iphones had reception.
    IMO, you really dont want to play that game right now. if you are going to compare 'what can my pre DO that iphone can't or take it further and say that Android can't or other platforms... the pre is at a disadvantage because it still lacks many features that the others have.

hopefully palm comes up with some major updates/features very soon. android is the hot name right now and they seem to have the phones and features to play that game.

Quote Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
    Ok..I had a discussion w/ an iPhone friend the other day and was trying to discuss the differences between the 2 phones. So my question is this; what can my Pre do that his iPhone can't? What is the advantage of a Pre? Help..I need to defend myself
    over the iphone?

I tethered a 3GS to my pre and got higher speeds than atts 3G. I thought that was cool.
    it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    without an app that im sure cost some bread
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    multitaskting is and will no longer be an issue as 4th gen iphones will be able to do it - current iphone users can jailbreak there iphones and achieve the same thing.... see http://www.precentral.net/proswitche...broken-iphones
    insane isnt it? you can go to best buy and buy dragon simply speaking for $350 but they put out a simply speaking dictation app and a voice search app and give it for free on itunes.

that is one advantage that apple enjoys now is that companies are tripping over themselves to come out with apps for the iphone and often give it away for free and the apps are usually high quality... to get their company exposure and their other products a push. any other period before this on other platforms like back in my winmo days, they would be charging up the ying yang for apps.

you have banks (citi, bank of america) with their apps, you have brokerages (E*Trade and that is a very nice feature rich app) apps, news apps like CNBC, Bloomberg, weather apps, adobe photo app, citrix app... you name it and chances are you will find it... free! almost like getting added features to your phone for free.

Just today I sent all my gifts usps priority and instead of always tracking on the web i decided to check app store and keyword usps (since I know UPS and fedex already have one)... there's a usps app and it's free and a solid app for what I needed. family flying in and track their progress on my way to the airport... just get a flight track app online for free and can check... delete it when if i dont need it anymore.

checking my buddies droid and him showing me their app store... impressive and getting there and doing there best to cut that advantage down. Palm needs to get their appstore out of beta and offer a more robust SDK.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    it's free.
    I have both phones. Love the Pre as a phone and for messaging. Iphone owns it in every other category. Multitasking is nice but not the end all that everyone makes it out to be.
    Cheaper and it actually works as a phone. Imagine that, a phone you can use!!! To make actual phone calls!!! Without constant disconnects!!!

In all seriousness, if you have friends with Iphones then you already know all of this stuff and you know that it is virtually impossible to have a conversation without losing the connection.
    network issues vary from place to place and all carriers have it. if i lived in new york and san francisco and it was that bad where it's become a SNL joke then I wouldnt be using an iphone definitely.

funny i was in albany/schenectady in november and even drove to scranton and no problems with calls.

Just lucky to live in south FLA... can't recall the last time a dropped call whether my old 2G iphone or current 3GS and will average 1-1.7 megabits down on 3G. checking my usage i have averages 400megs data per month.... using so much guess not much to complain. when i had my 2G with edge... i averaged 9 megs. was PAINFUL. lol.

Doesnt matter to be what phone... if it couldnt be a phone first, i'd go elsewhere and would recommend the same to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sjgmoney View Post
    Cheaper and it actually works as a phone. Imagine that, a phone you can use!!! To make actual phone calls!!! Without constant disconnects!!!

In all seriousness, if you have friends with Iphones then you already know all of this stuff and you know that it is virtually impossible to have a conversation without losing the connection.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast