Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    The iPhone is on a different level, the only thing close is the HTC HD2. I have had all three versions of the iPhone and now have the Palm Pre. The orginal iPhone is smoother with less lag than any phone in Sprints line up. Sprint service is better ie monthly payment and the ability to roam on verizion's network. I think Palm Pre is good but needs to open up the power of the quote 600mhz processor. I have applied the 600 smartflex patch which did a little but on all reality the iPhone on ever level is much better. I don't hate the Pre in fact i like it. But comparing apples to apples
    Quote Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
    Ok..I had a discussion w/ an iPhone friend the other day and was trying to discuss the differences between the 2 phones. So my question is this; what can my Pre do that his iPhone can't? What is the advantage of a Pre? Help..I need to defend myself
    Well, as someone else pointed out, its kind of a silly game to play. The iPhone is a very nice piece of technology, has many advantages that the Pre really can't match just yet, the biggest market share, and about a bazillion apps.

Having said that, the Pre has a couple of advantages ...

1. Better multi-tasking, and a very elegant user OS overall
    2. A physical keyboard
    3. Smaller
    4. Very "open" in terms of tweaking the OS

I think Palm is really just trying to differentiate itself and to appeal to the general/casual user by being easy to use. Not a bad strategy ... trying to be the iPhone "killer" is probably a losing battle (at least right now).
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    seriously? I mean seriously? You guys are telling him not to compete with the iPhone?
    be some help.
    -Pre has 16,000,000 color screen iPhone only 242,000
    -Pre Pandora or anyother app open while doing other things. Tell your iPhone friend to open up pandora while playing a game.
    -Pre physical keyboard
    -Pre camera that doesn't distort the geometry of objects
    -Pre scalable resolutions
    -Pre doesn't have over 1,000 apps dedicated to farting noises

there's a few strictly phone based ones.
    heres some network

-Sprint fastest nationwide network period. According to all network tests.
    -Sprint free calls to any mobile anytime.
    -Sprint half the price of ATT for better speed, service, and reliability.

that doesn't include any homebrew. There's no point in comparing homebrew with jailbreak since one is all but officially sanctioned and the other completely voids the warranty, the TOS, and risks turning an iPhone into mirror finish paper weight.
    Last edited by Cohens; 12/20/2009 at 10:17 PM.
    good info!
    no video recorder
    no voice recorder or any type of voice apps such as google voice due to lack of api
    no opengl es 2.0 support or any support of gpu
    no visual voicemail
    no voice dialing or voice command feature
    no memory option over 8 gb / no memory card slot
    no magnetometer so no true compass/no augmented reality apps
    no desktop management software to sync contacts/backup sw
    no virtual keyboard
    no simultaneous voice/data (yes a network limitation)
    limited apps and appstore still in beta
    the last one is one of the worst issues because besides the stuff above i thought of just being obvious features lacking, there are bugs/issues that need to be resolved... like calendar

then with apps you go into a discussion where you really dont want to go...
    because for every app you say you have that can do this (there is the equivalient available for iphone) there will be many more apps that you dont have or can not have because you are missing some of the features above such as voice api or opengl support...

taking voice recorder one step further you cant have dictation or emailing message taken for voice like the dragon dictation.

so to answer your question... YES, we are telling him not to play that game of what my pre can do over the iphone or even droid for that matter. the pre just lacks too many of the features that are considered basic now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohens View Post
    seriously? I mean seriously? You guys are telling him not to compete with the iPhone?
    be some help.
    -Pre has 16,000,000 color screen iPhone only 242,000
    -Pre Pandora or anyother app open while doing other things. Tell your iPhone friend to open up pandora while playing a game.
    -Pre physical keyboard
    -Pre camera that doesn't distort the geometry of objects
    -Pre scalable resolutions
    -Pre doesn't have over 1,000 apps dedicated to farting noises

there's a few strictly phone based ones.
    heres some network

-Sprint fastest nationwide network period. According to all network tests.
    -Sprint free calls to any mobile anytime.
    -Sprint half the price of ATT for better speed, service, and reliability.

that doesn't include any homebrew. There's no point in comparing homebrew with jailbreak since one is all but officially sanctioned and the other completely voids the warranty, the TOS, and risks turning an iPhone into mirror finish paper weight.
    i want an iphone, but there's no way i'm switching to att
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    If the HTC HD2 was on sprint's network, i think you have would true competitor to the iPhone. Palm Pre can compete with the Hero and is a good phone but no where as smooth as the iPhone. That is just specking of my opinion of being a owner of both. I switched due to lowering my bill.
    pre....true multi taskin,physical and virtual keyboard,and well I'll actually go here since no one else has....extended battery...lol 2250mAh Extended Battery with cover for Palm Treo Pre - eBay (item 370284853490 end time Jan-02-10 05:53:39 PST) if you don't have an extended battery,get one...its only 22 bucks free shippin..2250mah this battery gives me complete 24hrs plus...drainin at 3.28 percent per hour currently as I type this msg...I bought two...fo my wife and I.....iphone can't last that long without a charge
    I love my Pre.....but I will say that the iPhone blows the Pre away when it comes to the screen. I am talking about how responsive the iPhone is, and how the system never lags or looks like it's running behind.
  10. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I can make and end calls on my Pre while wearing gloves! Can't on the iPhone....
    When your friend looks busy on the iphone....TEXT AWAY!!!! I always get a smile when they say stop spamming.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    no video recorder
    no voice recorder or any type of voice apps such as google voice due to lack of api
    no visual voicemail
    no virtual keyboard
    the last one is one of the worst issues because besides the stuff above i thought of just being obvious features lacking, there are bugs/issues that need to be resolved... like calendar

because for every app you say you have that can do this (there is the equivalient available for iphone) there will be many more apps that you dont have or can not have because you are missing some of the features above such as voice api or opengl support...

taking voice recorder one step further you cant have dictation or emailing message taken for voice like the dragon dictation.

so to answer your question... YES, we are telling him not to play that game of what my pre can do over the iphone or even droid for that matter. the pre just lacks too many of the features that are considered basic now.
    Hey, I understand you just want to be fair to the iphone so let's be fair to the pre.

The official pre app catalog have visual voicemail and desktop management software to sync contacts/backup sw.

There is a gsm version of pre so it does have simultaneous voice/data.

Honest question, how good is iphone calendar?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick7200
    I am talking about how responsive the iPhone is, and how the system never lags or looks like it's running behind.
    This is a good point and I look forward to speed updates for pre but for now, being able to leave apps open and the not having to drill back and forth with tap, tap, tap navigating the UI part of using the pre is pretty fast. The more you switch between apps, the more you notice this time saver.

Dieter did a good comparison of iphone vs pre in the smartphone round robin.
    http://www.precentral.net/iphone-rev...ne-round-robin
    sure you can... Hold the home button down until voice command come up and say 'call sandy (or whoever is in your contacts)' and will dial for you. Not in contact? Just speak out the whole telephone and it will dial. End a call... Press on/off button and will hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    I can make and end calls on my Pre while wearing gloves! Can't on the iPhone....
    i didnt know visual voicemail and desktop sw is available through their app store so thats good to know... but does emphasize how important is they get the app store out of beta because they will be able to make up time with providing those missing features through apps and come up with innovative new features that others dont.

yeah, its all good... just making the points again staying within the context of OP... when they moved it to cross-platform then felt ok to expand on it a little more above.

iphone calendar? ... i have my exchange account set up on my phone which also has my calendar as well as my own calendar i sync with my outlook at home and honestly no problems. now i say that being a person that is not a calendar power user... i have me my meetings set up at work and the reminders come up as should as well as birthday notices from my personal calendar and can say never missed an appointment yet. but other than that i really never use the calendar on my phone and stick that icon all the way in the back

Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Hey, I understand you just want to be fair to the iphone so let's be fair to the pre.

The official pre app catalog have visual voicemail and desktop management software to sync contacts/backup sw.

There is a gsm version of pre so it does have simultaneous voice/data.

Honest question, how good is iphone calendar?
    Synery is the main advantage the Pre has over the iphone. With WebOS you can sync multiple calendars over the air including exchange, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Ilike, Movies and others. You can even view your SO's Calendar right on your phone. WebOS is miles ahead of the iphone in this respect.

Notifications are also huge. The WebOS implementation is so much better its not even a contest.

The ability to run legacy Palm OS Garnet apps is also very important for my business users and professionals.

Physical keyboard is another big one.

The UI on WebOS is much more modern than the tired looking iphone UI. I suspect Apple will overhaul that with version 4 of their OS this year.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
    Ok..I had a discussion w/ an iPhone friend the other day and was trying to discuss the differences between the 2 phones. So my question is this; what can my Pre do that his iPhone can't? What is the advantage of a Pre? Help..I need to defend myself
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    no video recorder
    no visual voicemail
    no desktop management software to sync contacts/backup sw
    no virtual keyboard

Theres definetely more that the iphone can do compared to the Pre...however the OP's questions wasnt if he should "play that game" (eventho I agree it shouldnt be played) but rather what CAN the pre do that the iphone cannot. There are things that the pre can do that the iphone cannot. Ive owned both and love both phones, but your posts are not helpful to the Op's question IMO.

To the OP, for every advantage the Pre has the iphone has many that the Pre does not. Pre has camera flash iphone does not. Iphone has video pre does not. The list can go on and on. Comparing phones is like comaring sports teams...no ones ever going to win. be satisfied with what you have if it fist your needs. Iphone is great and so is Pre IMO, both for different reasons.
    ok so there ya have it....physical keyboard,camera flash,also led flash as flashlight, extend battery...just know that pre have alot more to look forward too..video recorder,thousands of apps,speed,battery life..etc I like lookin forward to new patches n updates. Makes the pre last longer.....I have not had my pre since launch but since oct. And I been happy wit da patches n updates
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    No, I meant blind typing in any language, that is actually handy, working and without looking like a tool. aka a real keyboard.

Also, blind typing.. Speaking? No, typing..
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I'm a huge Pre fan, but my son just got an iPhone 3Gs and although I will never go to AT&T, I have to admit the overall speed and responsiveness of the device makes me jealous. If only there was an iPhone with a keyboard - on Sprint. I would definitely have webOS withdrawals, but it probably wouldn't take me too long to get over them.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I'm a huge Pre fan, but my son just got an iPhone 3Gs and although I will never go to AT&T, I have to admit the overall speed and responsiveness of the device makes me jealous. If only there was an iPhone with a keyboard - on Sprint. I would definitely have webOS withdrawals, but it probably wouldn't take me too long to get over them.
    I don't know, I have shown my Pre to a number of frustrated iPhone owners and actually saw them drool...lol. I am a Mac lover for years and WebOs seems to have more of a Mac-ish feel to me than the iPhone. I admit the iPhone does have some superior virtues but I am happy with my Pre, and WebOs is still quite young and still has a lot of growing to do. Plus universal search is the bomb.
    Last edited by vza33; 12/22/2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: grammer
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast