1.    #1  
    1. What's the screen like? Does it scratch easily like the Visor or is it more scratch resistant? (Then again what does anyone need a screen for when they got that cool pull out keyboard )

2. What kind of applications are available? Anything like Wordsmith or AtomSmash?
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    1. What's the screen like? Does it scratch easily like the Visor or is it more scratch resistant? (Then again what does anyone need a screen for when they got that cool pull out keyboard )
    I never leave a PDA screen unprotected long enough to find out My Zaurus has a Brando Workshop screen protector (the iPaq size is pretty close - I just had to trim 1mm off the side and 4mm off the bottom).

2. What kind of applications are available? Anything like Wordsmith or AtomSmash?
    The SL-5500 (and presumably the next ROM update for the SL-5000D) will have Hancom Mobile Office (note: this page is a truly classic example of a bad Japanese -> English translation ). Hancom MobileWord will offer capabilities similar to WordSmith.

I've never seen AtomSmash, but you can get a peek at some of the third-party Zaurus games in development at this page.

And, to answer the question you asked in another thread - yes the Zaurus SL-5000D ROM is in Flash and can be upgraded. In fact there are currently four choices of ROM images for the SL-5000D! Two are official Sharp ROMs (with different splits between storage and execution RAM) and two have been created by the Zaurus developer community to offer specialized capabilities.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
  3.    #3  
    I never leave a PDA screen unprotected long enough to find out My Zaurus has a Brando Workshop screen protector (the iPaq size is pretty close - I just had to trim 1mm off the side and 4mm off the bottom).
    I figured you would . I'm personally a fan of Write Rights, but ya figure that they will probably all come out with protectors designed for Zaurus when its released.

The SL-5500 (and presumably the next ROM update for the SL-5000D) will have Hancom Mobile Office (note: this page is a truly classic example of a bad Japanese -> English translation ). Hancom MobileWord will offer capabilities similar to WordSmith.

I've never seen AtomSmash, but you can get a peek at some of the third-party Zaurus games in development at this page.
    Okay good about Hancom Mobile office because I find that I rely on Wordsmith pretty heavily to edit documents on the go. As far as AtomSmash it is a game similar to breakout. They're are tons of clones and I actually think that eventually one will be made. However I checked out the games page and some of the screenshots blew me away! http://int13.net/ has some excellent looking screenshots if anyone else is reading this thread.
    And, to answer the question you asked in another thread - yes the Zaurus SL-5000D ROM is in Flash and can be upgraded. In fact there are currently four choices of ROM images for the SL-5000D! Two are official Sharp ROMs (with different splits between storage and execution RAM) and two have been created by the Zaurus developer community to offer specialized capabilities.
    Cool . Course probably use the one that has more execution RAM and just store the apps on an SD card .
    I ended up with a Visor after my trusty Zaurus 5700 was stolen. My main concern now is that I've been so spoiled by the plethora of software, add-ons, etc for the Palm OS.... I'm not sure I could be content with the built-in apps anymore!

When I had my Zaurus, I was content with light typing, checking email and the occasional game of solitaire. Now I can do just about ANYTHING on my Palm OS PDA.

Any idea how long it may be before there will be decent finance apps, database programs, Bibles, book readers, etc for Linux? Or are they already out there and those of us using Windows just don't know about them?

BTW...GREAT looking leather cases for the new Zaurus at http://xigma.jp/en/showcase/pda/zaurus_e1/index.html
  5.    #5  
    There are decent Linux apps available, however I wouldn't know about those specific functions because I haven't done anything with any of that type of program on either OS. Most likely Windows people don't know about them. Some excellent apps available on Linux in general are The GIMP, Star Office 6.0/Open Office, and Mozilla. I believe they all have windows versions available too. I even browse using Mozilla in Windows sometimes...(Only if webmasters would code for something besides MSIE )
    Originally posted by purplemd
    Any idea how long it may be before there will be decent finance apps, database programs, Bibles, book readers, etc for Linux? Or are they already out there and those of us using Windows just don't know about them?
    So far there are two finance programs for the Zaurus SL series (Stash and tkcKapital), a handful of ebook readers (Gutenbrowser is the only one I can remember off the top of my head), and there is an app called Sword (or something like that) which I believe is a reader for religious texts. It will be some time before Zaurus software matches the variety that's available for PalmOS - but Linux people just love to code, so expect an explosion of software for it over the coming year.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>