Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I got tired of all the problems with my Pre. Loved the idea of having the best of both worlds (BB & Iphone) wrapped up in one tight, little, multi-tasking package. The fact that it runs on Linux was even better. Hell over time I learned from this and various other sites access the back-end, make changes, install Linux apps, configure ssh to remote access, setup lighttp, etc.. all awesome BUT...
    I never felt this phone was any good for business. It's an excellent gadget but that's all it is in my opinion. When it comes down to using it as a phone things just didn't work out as well. Making calls, receiving calls, searching for contacts, schedules, tasks, too many comprimises and too many frustrations with the lagging webos. Lack of apps is not a big deal for me. I just want the basic stuff to work and work fast.

So, yesterday my Pre was really acting strange and freezing up completely, all due to software issues. I got fed up when trying to make a simple phone call and that was it.

When I got home I pulled out the old sock drawer and reconnected my old 8330 curve. It's back in use and boy does it work as expected.

Pre, I'm sorry but you're not for me. Great gadget for "playing" with but definitely not a business tool.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    You had all these problems, but only posted once in the forum? Am I missing something?
    Slide open the keyboard, type the first few letters of a contact's name and tap on their phone number... Not sure how that's a hassle; could you elaborate?
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    I have two phones: The Palm Pre and the Blackberry Tour. I originally had the Pre and MyTouch and after being away from Blackberry for 5 months, I went back. So now it's Pre and BB.

Here's the thing - Blackberry phones are no muss, no fuss. Though the multi-tasking on the Pre is more visual than on the Blackberry. You don't know what apps you're juggling on the Blackberry until you ask it to show you "switch applications". And sometimes, when you do close out of an app, it's actually not closed. You have to either log out completely or "exit".

Blackberry has it locked as far as emailing and FULL customization goes but man...on a visual scale, it's almost embarrassing. Look at the calendar. The Pre steps all over any Blackberry it touches. I have 5 running calendars so I need things to look neat and right to the point. The Pre does this. The Blackberry...yuk.

There negatives and positives about owning a Pre versus Blackberry. I DO believe that the Pre is a business phone and can be used for social/personal and work. I have my personal emails and business emails pushed to both my Pre and Blackberry. I prefer Blackberry cause of their new "gmail integration" where it threads your emails. The Pre needs this - or at least a button that says "filter similar messages" once you find the one that you were looking for.

I can go on and on but honestly, I don't have the time. I have to allocate time for my EXTRA phone. ;-)
    He probly didnt know about universal search. All you gotta do is start typeing. It will bring up contacts with the letters in both their first and last name. Usually i type one letter and there it is in the list of 2 or 3 then just tap the name and done. I never open up the contacts app it would take forever to scroll through. Universal search blows my blackberry contacts away.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Have fun trying to browse the net on that awesome Blackberry Browser... That was the primary reason why I jumped ship from my Curve to my Pre.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Yes, I'm aware of universal search and how to find contacts, sliding this and that. True it's my first post but I've been lurking and reading complaints and fixes from others. I never needed to post as it doesn't really get me anywhere to complain. I know where to go to find answers and have been a network admin for nearly 20 years. Lots of experience with Linux/BSD (17 years) and truly gave this thing a chance.

As I said before. The Palm pre is an excellent gadget to play with. I like where they are going with it. It's just not there yet. I don't see it, with the current hardware offering and demands from it's more advanced OS, going anywhere for a few years.

I have to hand it to Palm for an excellent job they've done but it is not usable just yet, at least not for me. When I need to use my "cell phone" to make a call I want it to respond instantly and not lag for several seconds as it tries to predict what I'm doing.

The phone is software based and I guess this is what kills it for me. Reminds me of they old Win-modems that replaced the hardware based "real" modems.

I'll probably enable my pre at some point down the road. Until then I'll keep an eye on it's development.

Good luck
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    HAHA!

The title is so confusing: "Good by Pre"

nice.
    it should be "Great by Pre"
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Actually it should say..."Goodbye Pre"..Network Admin must not have to spell much.. Maybe that's why he had so much trouble finding contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by yorgo View Post

So, yesterday my Pre was really acting strange and freezing up completely, all due to software issues. I got fed up when trying to make a simple phone call and that was it.
    Perhaps you should WebOS doctor the phone if you've done a lot of that "hacking" you mentioned. I think IT guys usually try to troubleshoot something before throwing it in the sock drawer.
    Meh, if the OP doesn't like the way Pre runs for him or her, so be it. If anyone's used a BB for business for many years, I can see where the Pre can be unnatural to use outside of some of the software shortcomings.

That said, the Pre was never really touted as primarily a business tool, so it's a bit shocking to me to see so many people that rely on their phones for business jumping on a first generation device with a 1.0 (and I use that version loosely) operating system so quickly. While obviously not as drastic, I liken it to upgrading all the workstations in the office to the latest version of Windows the day it's released.

I suppose it human nature to jump on a new gadget, but using the Pre for 20 minutes should have revealed that it would not hold up against the battle-hardened business smartphones out there for quite a while...
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yorgo View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of universal search and how to find contacts, sliding this and that. True it's my first post ...
    So, why did you make the first post at all? You could have just faded into the background noise.

Good luck with your non-pre phone. See you back here when you want some of the "gadgetness" back.
    i guess to his their own. for me rolling that stupid ball to get around was getting really annoying. I actually have a BlackBerry 8330 as my workphone now, i hardly ever use it, i check emails from my pre instead. i only use it if someone calls me on it.
    I had a BB, what a piece of crap, got rid if it and never looked back. Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    So, why did you make the first post at all? You could have just faded into the background noise.

Good luck with your non-pre phone. See you back here when you want some of the "gadgetness" back.
    why did you make 71 posts???? who cares how many post he has. this is what is wrong with this forum .
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    You had all these problems, but only posted once in the forum? Am I missing something?

Yes. You're missing the "roll eyes" emoticon. I'll appropriately place it before and after your post for you.

If someone posts problems then they get tagged for whining, trolling or not knowing how to search. But now if they don't post enough about problems then they are also questioned? The problems are with the product, not the people posting about it.
    Forums are for users to solve problems, exchange ideas, and aquire more knowledge about their devices. I mean, sure, I was upset about my BB phone, but I just bought out my contract and found something else that better fit my needs. This is what baffles me, it's not like I had any desire to go on a BB phone forum and give a sobbing farewell speech. I guess whatever floats your boat.
    Another thing about contacts on a Blackberry (and this frustrated me to no end). Say you set up your gmail within the Blackberry (not the Google Gmail app), and you click on "sync contacts", and then you download say...."Google Sync" cause you want to sync your calendar. Then you tell the Facebook app to sync your calendar from FB to BB and the contacts also. Well....NO ONE OVER AT BLACKBERRY WILL TELL YOU THIS but you get duplicates out the *****.

My buddy ended up showing up 9 times - all as separate contacts. If you want your contacts from Gmail, Google Calendar to show up correctly, you disable the contacts sync from the blackberry but just ask Google Sync to sync both the calendar and contacts. As for the Facebook contacts and calendar events - FORGET IT. Don't sync it or your blackberry will go nuts. Also, Blackberry sets up your Gmail for you automatically once you put in your userid and password but it JUST does email. No calendar. So you are forced to download the Google Sync app to do calendar. When people download this, they automatically click on calendars and contacts cause that makes the most sense, right? WRONG. You'll get dups.

Now with all that said - the Pre does do duplicates but to a degree it merges them for you (if they have the same exact name). Now with all of that said, how does a "regular Joe" figure all of this out on his own when he has a Blackberry?

I am still figuring the whole contacts, calendar, FB sync with my blackberry. I've had BBs for over 2 years and this is just nuts. There has to be an easier way and with that regard, Palm really did a great job with "Synergy".
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Forums are for users to solve problems, exchange ideas, and aquire more knowledge about their devices. I mean, sure, I was upset about my BB phone, but I just bought out my contract and found something else that better fit my needs. This is what baffles me, it's not like I had any desire to go on a BB phone forum and give a sobbing farewell speech. I guess whatever floats your boat.
    Thats great ,what about all these other topics on the Pre central forum such as Health Care,The war, and whos to blame for global warming. C'mon Man
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast