Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm not the original poster for this topic but I think that if anyone is gonna say "Blackberry is awful" or something in those terms, at least tell us why. I actually do read other people's opinions and you always discover new things that you didn't know about a competing product. I mean, this forum is obviously slanted towards the Palm Pre/Pixi but I think some of us would appreciate a more civilized debate rather than torching people.
    Sooo, to the OP, are you gonna sell that Pre?
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Yes. You're missing the "roll eyes" emoticon. I'll appropriately place it before and after your post for you.

If someone posts problems then they get tagged for whining, trolling or not knowing how to search. But now if they don't post enough about problems then they are also questioned? The problems are with the product, not the people posting about it.
    Again its how you post. As I've said before, its one thing to post "having such and such issue" or "whats your opinion about such and such" another thing to post "My pre annoys the hell out of me". And trust me this forum is nowhere near as brutal on noobs asking questions without searching. Try Audiworld circa 2007. Those jokers were sending hit men to your house if you popped up with some noobish mess.

I was not trying to flame the guy. I can feel someone whose had all the issues he stated and discussed them before blowing up the forum with a goodbye thread. Honestly, if it were "Urkel" posting this I would be good, you've been here and I can follow where you're coming from. But its "unseemly" coming from someone with 0 post. And since I forgot
    Making your first post a declaration that you can't stand the thing the forum is dedicated to and are leaving is akin to walking into a party where nobody knows you, taking a dump on the carpet and walking out.

The poster says he's lurked for a while and as such, probably feels a part of the community...but if he's never posted, nobody else can possibly know him.
    I don't think the average person that posts a legit problem is a "troll", but someone that creates a screen name for the sole purpose of telling everyone that the pre stinks and he/she is leaving???

Come on legitimate gripes are one thing, but this is ridiculous. mmcnamara, if you don't like the forum then leave!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    (holds open door) IMNSHO cya! I have never understood the declaration that "I'm leaving" or "Goodbye" be it a diet forum or this Pre forum or a medical forum.

If you enjoy your BB then so be it and enjoy. It's what works best for you.
    Yup, totally in agreement with OP. The Pre is a toy, not a business device. The BB is so fast and reliable, it's liberating. Even posting on PreCentral is so much easier, it's a breeze with the BB browser (ironic on a few levels). I do miss Synergy, a little.
    bleh i had a BB for like a month n not a day went by where i didn't want to throw the stupid thing at the wall. i hated that phone more than anything in the world. with the pre not a day goes by where i don't wanna see whats new and what i can do with it. i don't mind being the guinea pig :-)
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Yup, totally in agreement with OP. The Pre is a toy, not a business device. The BB is so fast and reliable, it's liberating. Even posting on PreCentral is so much easier, it's a breeze with the BB browser (ironic on a few levels). I do miss Synergy, a little.
    Which BB do you use and which device would you prefer for browsing the internet? Also, would you say its media player capabilities are better than the Pre? While I wouldn't call the Pre a toy (its done a good job meeting my needs), I will admit on almost bought a Curve over the Pre.
    The Pre isn't for everyone. Good luck with your old friend the BBerry.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    9700. The Internet part is a well known argument but I find that in reality it's not an issue for me. I mostly read news and post to forums on the web. The BB browser works great on mobile optimized sites, better than the Pre browser, because of small details BB already has figured out. A few examples: the reply box is perfectly sized to fit the screen, as well as the font size in it. The keyboard is much better so typing a post is easier, and there's no panning and zooming to distract me.

When I need to use heavier sites I use Opera Mini, which loads pages faster and does a good job rendering them.

Media: the music player is better than the Pre, and for podcasts and audiobooks there's PodTrapper, the mother of all podcatchers.

The only thing the BB doesn't do well is playing YouTube videos. It still plays them at low res like a feature phone. But the built in video player is great for regular videos.

All the regular apps I used on the Pre like Pandora, Yelp, Flixster, Evernote etc. are available, except Amazon MP3.

The BB UI is not pretty but then you have to ask what's really important on a mobile device. Animations and fancy graphics drain the battery and slow things down. But consumers love this stuff. So you have to decide what kind of user are you.
    Quote Originally Posted by yorgo View Post

So, yesterday my Pre was really acting strange and freezing up completely, all due to software issues. I got fed up when trying to make a simple phone call and that was it.

When I got home I pulled out the old sock drawer and reconnected my old 8330 curve. It's back in use and boy does it work as expected.

Pre, I'm sorry but you're not for me. Great gadget for "playing" with but definitely not a business tool.
    Bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by skasj View Post
    Actually it should say..."Goodbye Pre"..Network Admin must not have to spell much.. Maybe that's why he had so much trouble finding contacts.
    Now that is funny.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I didn't realize BB used Opera Mini, though I will admit I had a horrid time with it on my Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    I didn't realize BB used Opera Mini, though I will admit I had a horrid time with it on my Centro.
    I wouldn't used the Centro as an example because it had an obsolete JVM and Opera Mini didn't have a fighting chance on it. On the BB most apps do run on a JVM so it's native like everything else.

The browser question will soon be moot anyway. Opera Mini 5 is nearly as full featured as a desktop browser, and RIM has its own webKit browser being developed.

But even without either, web browsing on the BB works fine now.

I only hope RIM doesn't get sucked into the BS phone category championed by Apple, Google and Palm. We need one manufacturer to get priorities right and resist the fads.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Making your first post a declaration that you can't stand the thing the forum is dedicated to and are leaving is akin to walking into a party where nobody knows you, taking a dump on the carpet and walking out.
    AAAAHAHAHAHAHAH now that cracks me up. Sounds like something I would do.

Now, of all the reading I've done on this site and others about the pre I did feel like I was part of it all. I didn't realize I had not posted on this site before and I do apologize for the sudden or abrupt exit. I post to several sites on a regulary basis. When it comes to gadgets such as the pre I research for previous posts on related problems then try things myself.

The pre, BTW, will be stored away for a while. No intentions on selling it just yet. I did refresh it today using the latest WebOSDoctor. I'm sure it will work fine now that all the added bugs have been squashed. Still I'm going to use my rediscovered BB for a while and keep an eye on the pre evolution. I'm sure I'll end up trying to hack the thing several times in the near future.

All in all it's not a bad little phone. Just needs work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    He probly didnt know about universal search. All you gotta do is start typeing...
    Please--one can perhaps call the particular web OS function you are describing a "partial search." One can maybe call it "look-up assist." It might even be ok to call it a "sort-of-finder-helper-thingy." But, "universal" it is not.

Web OS "search" has such handicapped functionality it cannot even search beyond the few words that can fit in a contact's "name" or "company" field. If you're looking for a name, number, keyword--whatever you may have typed in the 'note' field or some other field; say goodbye to ever doing a search for it.

Here's a good one: Ever tried a web OS search on a zip code, house number, street name, city, bank account number, frequent flyer number, or a few numbers from a credit card? A phone number in a calendar entry? A keyword in a calendar entry? A calendar entry from 6 months ago? 10 years ago? Web OS is completely useless in these examples.

One must use several-year-old palm OS technology for these simple searches. It's inexcusable. And it's even more ridiculous for Palm to try to pass-off these OS deficiencies as only necessary for "heavy business users." Since when should an average user not be able to find a contact by the first few letters of a street name, or locate a checking account number by typing in a few numbers?

This is why it should be so imperative that Palm never destabilize an app like Classic again. They already made the mindless mistake of ignoring how to seamlessly transition of tens of thousands of eager palmOS-to-webOS converts. They are now in the process of royally screwing up the only access those converts had with their original palmOS data. Incredible.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Well Palm is a whole new company now and, as such, have created WebOS as if Palm OS never existed. This is understandable since the new Palm has absolutely nothing to do with the old.

Absolutely right on about the "universal search" which is one of my complaints as well. Again, this puts the pre in the category of "interesting gadgets" and not something you can depend on.

Again, the pre is a huge step in the right direction. The fact that it's running on top of Linux gives it enormous potential but that's all it is at this point;potential. I predict we will see better hardware and incredibly useful software for the WebOS over the next few years if they keep doing their R&D on this platform. At this point I would not invest in this company... yet. Give them about a year and something big - Iphone 4G killer maybe- will come out giving them a huge boost in the market.

That's my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Another thing about contacts on a Blackberry (and this frustrated me to no end). Say you set up your gmail within the Blackberry (not the Google Gmail app), and you click on "sync contacts", and then you download say...."Google Sync" cause you want to sync your calendar. Then you tell the Facebook app to sync your calendar from FB to BB and the contacts also. Well....NO ONE OVER AT BLACKBERRY WILL TELL YOU THIS but you get duplicates out the *****.

My buddy ended up showing up 9 times - all as separate contacts. If you want your contacts from Gmail, Google Calendar to show up correctly, you disable the contacts sync from the blackberry but just ask Google Sync to sync both the calendar and contacts. As for the Facebook contacts and calendar events - FORGET IT. Don't sync it or your blackberry will go nuts. Also, Blackberry sets up your Gmail for you automatically once you put in your userid and password but it JUST does email. No calendar. So you are forced to download the Google Sync app to do calendar. When people download this, they automatically click on calendars and contacts cause that makes the most sense, right? WRONG. You'll get dups.

Now with all that said - the Pre does do duplicates but to a degree it merges them for you (if they have the same exact name). Now with all of that said, how does a "regular Joe" figure all of this out on his own when he has a Blackberry?

I am still figuring the whole contacts, calendar, FB sync with my blackberry. I've had BBs for over 2 years and this is just nuts. There has to be an easier way and with that regard, Palm really did a great job with "Synergy".
    The problem is not with the Blackberry. The problem is that you are using Google Contacts which is complete garbage. It doesn't even have separate fields for last name and first name. Gmail is an excellent email system but I would ignore the rest of it. USB sync to a PC running outlook is the cheapest way to go if you want full PIM sync. If money is no object, sign up for BES from a hosted provider. Alternatively, you could go with EAS but not with a Blackberry of course. It won't get you full PIM sync on most or all platforms either.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    I don't think the average person that posts a legit problem is a "troll", but someone that creates a screen name for the sole purpose of telling everyone that the pre stinks and he/she is leaving???

Come on legitimate gripes are one thing, but this is ridiculous. mmcnamara, if you don't like the forum then leave!
    Did i ever say i didn't like the forums?? Oh I Know Just Because i don't agree with people who complain about people who complain? C'mon man grow up.. It's a phone. But anyway you can NEVER please everybody so..... I'll end with a MERRY CHRISTMAS
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast