Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The M515 was just released and Sony then drops the price to the N760 to $399. Well . . . there goes M515 sales.

I'm guessing Sony is about to unveil a new device? T-760 maybe?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Maybe not a new device, but I think they dropped the price just to remind Palm who is King. Think about it...you see the M515 for $399, or the N760c with built in MP3 player and Hi-Res screen for the same price, at the same time, at the same store, right next to eachother....

Which would you go for? This way, people don't have to legitimize the $50 for the screen and mp3 player to themselves
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Haha, and at the same time...you're thinking about the T615 too. Even though the form factor is a bit larger, you can't beat the screen on that thing...it's so niice. When will Sony stop pushing Palm around? Haha...

Though I can imagine people getting the last of the Palm m505s for cheap...like around the low $300's...

As for a new device...who knows, though we know they'll be releasing that new flip device with a keyboard sometime...though they'll probably release only what, like 15 devices before they introduce that thing...haha...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    When will Sony stop pushing Palm around? Haha...

Where exactly is Sony pushing Palm? In sales?
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    Where exactly is Sony pushing Palm? In sales?
    Didn't quite mean it like that, but if I'm not mistaken, Sony is making the guys at Palm **** in their pants...haha

Who's the one sending emails to their customers, telling them "they'll release something soon..." I think it was Sony...I forgot...

Palm IS losing sales...even if its coming slowly, and they know it. The m515 and m130 are a joke...Palm doesn't have much more money to tap into, and they can't risk anything, like Sony can. Who do you think will be doing more pushing around? Sony may not even have anyone to push around in 12, 18 months...
    nelson.hsieh
    Didn't quite mean it like that, but if I'm not mistaken, Sony is making the guys at Palm **** in their pants...haha

Who's the one sending emails to their customers, telling them "they'll release something soon..." I think it was Sony...I forgot...

Palm IS losing sales...even if its coming slowly, and they know it. The m515 and m130 are a joke...Palm doesn't have much more money to tap into, and they can't risk anything, like Sony can. Who do you think will be doing more pushing around? Sony may not even have anyone to push around in 12, 18 months...
    I don't really think Palm is pissing in their pants at Sony's products, being as how they sold the liscense for the OS to them, let 'em keep pumping them out...
    Sending out emails proves what? They are coming out with yet another PDA not compatible witht the previous one in terms of accessories? Fixing the mistakes they made on the previous one (like the m505-m515)?
    What makes the new m series a joke? An improved screen?16MB? The least expensive (new) color device? I'm lost.
    12-18months? Not as long as Palm holds the rights to the OS. As far as I can see, all that Sony has ever offered is a memory stick, which is proprietary, a jog-dial, which is nice, and hires, which Handera already had. Oh yeah, an onboard MP3 player, well whoppedy doo. Mine is 5GB. What's on YOUR memory stick? Doesn't that thing stick out too?
    I don't really think Palm is pissing in their pants at Sony's products, being as how they sold the liscense for the OS to them, let 'em keep pumping them out...
    Sending out emails proves what? They are coming out with yet another PDA not compatible witht the previous one in terms of accessories? Fixing the mistakes they made on the previous one (like the m505-m515)?
    What makes the new m series a joke? An improved screen?16MB? The least expensive (new) color device? I'm lost.
    12-18months? Not as long as Palm holds the rights to the OS. As far as I can see, all that Sony has ever offered is a memory stick, which is proprietary, a jog-dial, which is nice, and hires, which Handera already had. Oh yeah, an onboard MP3 player, well whoppedy doo. Mine is 5GB. What's on YOUR memory stick? Doesn't that thing stick out too?
    Well, they gotta be feeling something to send out an email like that, I'll have to find the exact quote...

As for the m515, they're fixing mistakes that should never have come up. Things that the m505 should have ALREADY had, that's ridiculous. A brighter screen, USB sync, and whatever else is wrong with it. Those should have been standard, as the Sony's had. As for the universal connector, that's a nice touch, high five to Palm, and thumbs down to Sony. Well...the m515 cost the same as the T615 and the N760...so...its not cheap. As for memory, I don't see why PDAs didnt have 16 MB a long time ago...thumbs up to Handspring for starting it, someone had to...

Well, if Palm doesn't have enough money to support the OS, then they won't have it anymore. Who knows. Sony's memory stick is not so proprietary anymore, it's getting out more. As for High-Res, Sony is standardizing it, getting it out and known to people. How many people have ever heard of HandEra? They'll know make an impact in the PDA market like Sony has and will... They're making quality units, with more features, will still keeping the same price as competitors, that's what they're doing.

Think about the S360...name a decent competitor. Think about the high-end Sony's. Really...are you going to pick an m515 over a T615, or N760? Maybe you will, but it's not too hard to see which is better...Though it depends, maybe an m515 works better for you for certain reasons. No matter what, Sony is bringing rapid change, and you can't deny that.

As for me, LOL, I don't know where my memory stick is right now, it's with whoever stole my Sony Clie
    nelson.hsieh
    Well, they gotta be feeling something to send out an email like that, I'll have to find the exact quote...

As for the m515, they're fixing mistakes that should never have come up. Things that the m505 should have ALREADY had, that's ridiculous. A brighter screen, USB sync, and whatever else is wrong with it. Those should have been standard, as the Sony's had. As for the universal connector, that's a nice touch, high five to Palm, and thumbs down to Sony. Well...the m515 cost the same as the T615 and the N760...so...its not cheap. As for memory, I don't see why PDAs didnt have 16 MB a long time ago...thumbs up to Handspring for starting it, someone had to...

Well, if Palm doesn't have enough money to support the OS, then they won't have it anymore. Who knows. Sony's memory stick is not so proprietary anymore, it's getting out more. As for High-Res, Sony is standardizing it, getting it out and known to people. How many people have ever heard of HandEra? They'll know make an impact in the PDA market like Sony has and will... They're making quality units, with more features, will still keeping the same price as competitors, that's what they're doing.

Think about the S360...name a decent competitor. Think about the high-end Sony's. Really...are you going to pick an m515 over a T615, or N760? Maybe you will, but it's not too hard to see which is better...Though it depends, maybe an m515 works better for you for certain reasons. No matter what, Sony is bringing rapid change, and you can't deny that.

As for me, LOL, I don't know where my memory stick is right now, it's with whoever stole my Sony Clie
    Do we need to get into mistakes that shouldn't have come up? The lint, or was that dust under the screen? The extra software needed to sync the Sony? you're calling the Sony screen bright?

Not a proprietary memory stick? Slap a CF or Smartmedia card in there. I may be mistaken, but pretty much just Sony stuff and the Visor can use them.

How exactly is Sony standardizing hires? What other company uses that resolution?
    This thing cut me off, maybe I'll stop now. I don't dislike the Sony products, but your posts, regardless of the topic heading read "Yah! Sony is great. they're gonna buy Palm, nobody is moving forward except them"

Perhaps other vendors are holding out for the release of OS5. I would, especially if I was hurting like these other small companies seem to be, at least on paper. Hell, I'm broke on paper, especially here at tax time.
    you're calling the Sony screen bright?

How exactly is Sony standardizing hires? What other company uses that resolution?
    The Sony color screens are THE brightest color screens for Palm OS that can be viewed in sunlight. It is over twice the lumens of even the m515. That is a hard fact, so...

Yes the Sony screen is bright.

Sony invented VFS. It is now standardized within Palm OS.
    Sony was the first with 320x320 16bit color. That is now standardized within Palm OS5. So in otherwords....

EVERY NEW PALMOS DEVICE WILL BE USING THAT RESOLUTION.
    So, yes Sony is standardizing hi-res within Palm OS.

-Trotsky

EDIT:

BTW I own a visor edge, an Palm m505, and a Sony Clie T-615. I am not a Sony cheerleader by any means. I love all three for their unique features.

However it IS a fact that in the low end Palms, nothing can touch a Sony T-360. It has memory expansion that doesn't affect its slim form factor, jog-dial, USB sync, lithium batteries.

In the high-ends, it's a toss up of features. But I having owned an m505 and a T-615, the m505/515 cannot compete. Sorry. The ONLY advantage the m505 has over the T-615 is 1.5 hours of more battery life - HOWEVER this may not be true now that the m515 has a much brighter light.
    Last edited by Trotsky; 03/06/2002 at 04:50 AM.
    The thing that makes the m515 a joke isn't the new feature set. That new feature set is great. However it is a tiny step forward about 6 months too late.

THAT is what makes it a joke. The m505 should never have been released - there is NO reason that m515 couldn't have been released last year. The tech was all there - more ram and a different led light... easy.

The fact with tech gadgets is that if you come to the table late - you need to have something MUCH more compelling than the ones already there. The m515 is just a "me too" offering by Palm to tide them over until OS 5.

Again, the m515 would have been awesome BEFORE the release of the N-760 / T-615. But now..... it's too little too late.

-Trotsky
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    Sony invented VFS. It is now standardized within Palm OS.
    Which was a huge mistake for Palm. VFS is very poorly designed and it's totally out of sync with the original "vision" of PalmOS. Palm could have done a far better job with expansion memory support APIs but they waited around doing nothing and let VFS get a foothold in apps.

Sony was the first with 320x320 16bit color. That is now standardized within Palm OS5. So in otherwords....
    It's VFS all over again. Sony's high res support is an even bigger hack than VFS. Palm should have instead developed a new resolution independent layout manager based Forms API so that licensees could use any resolution they wanted for the display. Hopefully this is just a stopgap until OS 5++ comes out.

EVERY NEW PALMOS DEVICE WILL BE USING THAT RESOLUTION.
    No, actually Mike Mace at PalmSource has made it very clear that licensees will be able to support whatever resolution they want. Integer multiples of 160 will be automatic, anything else will require that licensees hack in some of their own code - but that doesn't mean that it won't be done to prevent having to purchase displays from Sony.

Now, before I get flamed, I have nothing against Sony. They're a great electronics company and if I was buying a new PalmOS device they'd get serious consideration. Hovever, the pace of Sony's innovation is coming at a price and that price is operating system software that seriously compromises the original vision of the PalmOS. Hopefully PalmSource realizes that and is working on ways to correct it before too many more developers run screaming to better engineered OS platforms.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    Originally posted by dkessler
    Hopefully PalmSource realizes that and is working on ways to correct it before too many more developers run screaming to better engineered OS platforms.
    Dave... how's your voice doing?
    ...The extra software needed to sync the Sony?...
    What Extra Software? I just use HotSync Manager to sync my 760. Edit: Ok I'll elaborate here: The 710 required Sony's 'usbswitcher' but no CLIE since then has needed this.

...you're calling the Sony screen bright?...
    Yes. I would call mine bright and I don't even have the brightness turned up all the way.

Not a proprietary memory stick? Slap a CF or Smartmedia card in there. I may be mistaken, but pretty much just Sony stuff and the Visor can use them.
    So what? I'm not trying to be a jerk but I hear this argument alot and I honestly don't get it. I am able to put files on it and run them on my CLIE. That's what it's for , right? Oh, and it does stick out only slightly (maybe 1mm as viewed from the front, and 2 or 3 as viewed from the back). Only enough to push it in to release the locking mechanism.
    Last edited by Jupe; 03/06/2002 at 08:01 AM.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Dave... how's your voice doing?
    Much better now that I'm a top-ten finalist in the utilities category in Trolltech's Zaurus app development contest (and won a free Zaurus)
    Originally posted by Jupe
    So what? I'm not trying to be a jerk but I hear this argument alot and I honestly don't get it. I am able to put files on it and run them on my CLIE. That's what it's for , right? Oh, and it does stick out only slightly (maybe 1mm as viewed from the front, and 2 or 3 as viewed from the back). Only enough to push it in to release the locking mechanism.
    Sorry, was speaking for myself an my mac on the sync issue. The screen quality, or brightness, seems to be a preference, I'll leave this alone. The memory stick is a memory solution, but that's about it, but so are the SD cards at this point.
    Originally posted by dkessler

Much better now that I'm a top-ten finalist in the utilities category in Trolltech's Zaurus app development contest (and won a free Zaurus)
    Hey! congrats! Very cool... so what's drifter?
    Man, that is so unfair. Don't you have one already?
    Originally posted by VTL

Man, that is so unfair. Don't you have one already?
    Yeah, but Confucious says: "Man who's development PDA and daily use PDA are one is good friend of backup software company."

BTW - Drifter is utility that compensates for system clock drift without the need to connect to an external time server. A similar utility already exists for PalmOS ... check out ClockFix.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    The M515 was just released and Sony then drops the price to the N760 to $399. Well . . . there goes M515 sales.

I'm guessing Sony is about to unveil a new device? T-760 maybe?
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=3101

or a T-770
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast