Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I got the Palm Pre back in October and it was my first smart phone. I really liked it back then, still do, but saw my friends using Blackberry Tours and got envious of their speed and responsiveness.

So I caved and bought a Tour on eBay.

Initially I really liked it, but quickly started to notice their lack of multitasking fluidness that the Pre has. I thought I could get by, but within a week I just felt this longing for my Pre.

The Pre handles Web sites beautifully, the synergy with Gmail is amazing and although the apps are lacking, the ones I want/need are in the App Catalog, aside from voice recognition, I don't really feel like I'm missing anything.

So if you've come accustomed to WebOS, I don't think any other cell phone OS will make you as happy.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thanks for this post. I had a hard time decided weather to buy a Pre or a Tour and went with the Pre since it came out first. Ever since then, I've been wondering if I would've liked the Tour better, but I multi task all the time now that I have that capability.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    only phone i would switch to would be a next gen iphone that multitasks

everything else is ehhhhh

and even the iphone wouldn't have a keyboard, so I would be missing that. of course, the iphone would probably interface with apples magazine-tablet coming out.

what I'm saying though is that right now, there is no real substitute for the Pre
    very true, i also have a blackberry 8330 as my work phone and that thing is god awful now that i have my Pre. I've become used to how easily it is to navigate webpages, how quickly i can get around the phone. With the Blackbery i get frustrated, it's slow, email system sucks, messaging is a pain, i mean having to go through old messages to see what the person said last is annoying...

but i guess it's because we became accustomed to the WebOS features.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I've noticed that it's much harder to move around on other OS's because it's not as fluid as WebOS. Gestures are the deal-killer.
    I will never even look at the Blackberrys outdated O.S. Hope people have fun writing Emails all day because thats the only thing their good for. :-D
    I've had BBs and like them. If I needed a business phone I wouldn't have a Pre. I'd have the BB, but if you don't need a business phone the Pre is the way to go. I love it and it's great fun! I love gestures.
    The Pre multitasks only in theory. In reality you have to deal with lags and "too many cards" errors. The UI gestures for dismissing an app is easier but that's hardly comforting.

On the BB apps launch at a click of a button or keyboard shortcut, instantly. That's a must for a business device. If you don't mind watching the UI animate and dance when you need to do stuff, the Pre is for you.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by barkins View Post
    I got the Palm Pre back in October and it was my first smart phone. I really liked it back then, still do, but saw my friends using Blackberry Tours and got envious of their speed and responsiveness.

So I caved and bought a Tour on eBay.

Initially I really liked it, but quickly started to notice their lack of multitasking fluidness that the Pre has. I thought I could get by, but within a week I just felt this longing for my Pre.

The Pre handles Web sites beautifully, the synergy with Gmail is amazing and although the apps are lacking, the ones I want/need are in the App Catalog, aside from voice recognition, I don't really feel like I'm missing anything.

So if you've come accustomed to WebOS, I don't think any other cell phone OS will make you as happy.
    Absolutely disagree, WebOS is nice, but Android has me MUCH happier than WebOS in its current implementation. Blackberry, however, is terrible all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkins View Post

Multi-tasking on modern BBs is just as or more fluid than multi-tasking on WebOS. Gmail & Facebook integration is excellent. I suspect that you didn't take the time to really learn how to use the device. I concede though that the learning curve is definitely steeper with BB OS. The UI is not as user friendly and the feature set is much richer.

BBs have a couple of flaws IMHO, they don't work so well without a BIS or BES provisioned SIM card in them (not an issue with CDMA BBS of course). Also, the browser is definitely inferior.
    I have had 3 BlackBerrys, and agree that the OS is outdated. However it is functional and snappy. I miss the keyboard more than anything.
    I agree, I was initially considering getting the BB tour (the latest one) but after testing it out on my friends phone, I feel I would have regretted it if I had gotten it over the pixi. I can live without wifi because I never used it on my other phones. I'm happy with webOS. I know there are kinks that need to be straightened out, but the OS is still new and has room to be improved. I am anxious to see what the future holds for palm.